-Gamah's "Copy me, quick!" Running Challenge Thread

Oh you sneaky devil. I can't believe I did not see this one coming. This was frustrating, it took me A LOT of attemps, but I enjoyed figuring it out. I won't spoil the surprise if I achieved this or not, since I only had 90 units of fuel, it was quite the challenge let me put it to you that way.

XIUgFpN.png

Actually, lets face it, with 90 units of fuel, I know I wasn't going to land, don't get me wrong, I tried over 20 times to get this right, even more times just getting an enocunter, so, I have failed the challenge, but it was BRILLIANT. I wish I would of know to have more fuel, usually I would over do it purposely but I can't say I saw this next challenge coming.

afc4VYz.png

So, conclusion? Everyone died, sadly Jeb, he is gone, but, I have a replacement, Jeb's clone.. Jeb! Say hi! :)

http://imgur.com/a/GSUmY

Good luck to the other competitors! Gamah, if we fail the challenge, you should take a point away and we have to do a mission to the current challenge spot. So, I got to Mun, I keep those points, I failed getting from the Mun to Minmus, so, from Kerbin, I travel to Minmus but I lose a point, or however you chose to do that system. Just a thought :) I am going to go to Minmus regardless so that I can continue the challenge.

Just a note, I did the challenge ALL over again with my Mk II rocket :) I will continue using that for the duration of the challenge. However, it only has 70 units of fuel left. So, no more going to planets until we are allowed to refuel!

Edited by bulletrhli

no worries bullethrli! re launching the first flight is fine, so long as you take it to the mun and then to minmus! you can have your point for that.

We won't be using this ship for the next flight, but don't end it's flight, we'll be using it later in the challenge series!

As a side note, I made a new save for this challenge so it doesn't interfere with my current normal save.

Actually, that is exactly what I did! I thought it would be the right choice, I sent it too the Mun, landed, and then immediately took off after a nice screenshot because it was a beautiful view. Then I headed off to Minmus. I'm glad we don't have to use it anytime soon, everyone else was smart hauling up more fuel and once again I neglected to do so. Oh well, its more fun! :)

I also made a separate save which is specifically for all my challenges that I will be doing. Thank you for giving me a point btw :) Can't wait for the next challenge omg :)

Ok, look like I got back in time.. this was actually pretty easy for me. I was in a descent spot, so to save loads of fuel I burned out into Kerbin's influance and was able to shoot around for a capture a week later on the other side. use very little fuel in my opinion. landing was much easier as well. first try!

izc6ep0h.png

gHnmOB9h.png

qXsvdvph.png

lcjHNHmh.png

RPfCirGh.png

akalYGAh.png

J6S5n1Oh.png

I believe that we have some cheating amidst the group ;) I know the size of the last challengers fuel tank and he had 40 left, even with a complete fuel tank from the Mun, you wouldn't know enough fuel to get to Minmus and land. However, I chose not to cheat and accept defeat, I believe Gamah, you hold the power whether or not to disqualify someone for this. Maybe add a rule to show your resources from the start and at the end of the flight and if it doesn't add up, then they have to either prove it some other tactic.

I don't know if he cheated... he started with more fuel than I did, and with exactly the same rocket design. I landed with almost 20 units of fuel and I wasted a LOT in inter-munar space trying to make an easier transfer instead of circling around and waiting for a window.

i saw the last two posts and i believe you refer to my entry. Rest assured that i did not cheat from the beginning of the challenge. When i landed on the Mun i used my Mun transfer stage that was a 3/4 full Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank and a Rockomax "Poodle" Liquid Engine. This saved me a lot of fuel for the final stage that resembles the author's rocket (i dumped the transfer stage 1km before landing) as i was expecting a Minmus transfer when he wrote don't end the flight. For the Mun-Minmus transfer the plan was to go to a 20-ish km orbit, then leave orbit, match planes with Minmus and go for the Mun-Minmus transfer, the launch-Mun orbit fuel cost was about at 3/4 of my fuel tank, for exiting the Mun orbit i had about 11 sec burn and later on the plane match the burn was 2 secs, the Minmus rendezvous was about 11 sec burn (i had a good Minmus position) and the Minmus entry orbit was 4 secs burn at an altitude of 14Km and i picked a high spot at Minmus in order to save fuel. My initial landing speed was about 160m/s and landed at a speed of 7-ish m/s with controlled burns.

By watching the author's rules i assumed he meant that his final landing stage was the same (as he did not have any other photos or any other rules enforced except that no mods or cheating - debug window with infinite fuel - are allowed), he did not set any rules for the complete rocket design. If there is an issue of resources at the beginning of each challenge leg then we should post photos at the beginning and end of each leg along with various stages of the flight of the challenge with the resources tab enabled at all times (i believe this thread will become image heavy in the end).

I`ll get my foot back in the door moments before it closes :)

The valiant probe lifts off from the Mun

7iA5mqx.png

And after but a kerbally day of waiting minmus aligns for transfer

rRnWlHh.jpg

That was the first time I ever used multiple maneuver nodes at the one time

Tension mounted as the sun disappeard behind minmus.. our probe on escape trajectory..

Praise the Sun!

rjOHsNb.png

Touch down.. ah Minmus how I love you

PDPAyHG.jpg

I had to look up a video to find out what those are :) Without having made any changes, both values are set to 3 in my settings file.

Having watched the rest of that video, I might turn the limit up to 4.. that`s interesting.

and thank you for the comments on my insectoid probe hah

Edited by soranno

Is it this video?

If so, I am in a debate between mode 3 and 4, possibly another. I am looking for the "future" conics path mode where it shows your projected orbit around the body your going to, it's so hard to explain for me XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.