Electrical Rotary Probe Part?

Piggius_Max

I've always tried to make probes for covering distances far and wide on a planet by air; at the moment that requires using fuel and probes don't have much of that, so I end up hovering for abit, moving a couple of hundred yards then running out of fuel and crashing...

How does the idea of an electrically powered rotary engine sound? Like those found on RC helicopters, or quadrotary-copters?

I know theres almost definitely mods for this... But I think a method of lift on planets with atmosphere that uses electricity would be highly beneficial for those whom tire of rovers (see what I did there?)

Thoughts?

This seems to be relevant to this discussion:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/30/

cessna_results.png

In short, this article describes how a small electric airplane would function in the atmospheres of various bodies of our solar system. The worlds of the Kerbol system are not identical to ours, but neither are they to each other. Kerbin has a very dense atmosphere, Duna has a sparse one, and most other bodies have none at all. Propellers, wings, and even jet propulsion would function differently on each of them and a flying craft would have to be designed accordingly.

Edited by ultrasquid
added illustration

Firespitter is your answer. It has electric props and chopper blades. With a good supply of PB-BUK's and a few batteries you can go forever.

I've got planes just like this one on both Duna and Eve (Yes, it's landed on top of the SPH): screenshot50.png

And this sleeker manned version is zipping around KSC (batteries and reactors all hidden inside the tail section):

screenshot48.png

Yes, the firespitter electric-motor driven propeller's engine sound can get on one's nerves eventually. However, I think that the sound it makes is quite realistic. As a matter of fact, I can't tell the difference between the sound of a battery-powered RC airplane and the firespitter electric propeller!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.