Copenhagen Suborbitals joins KSP

Solid fuel is very dangerous, poisonous to make and very illegal in Denmark. We are planning on using a liquid engine that runs on LOX and 85% ethanol. You can read more about it on our homepage, and see the earlier tests with the liquid engine(TM-65)

Edited by Copenhagen_Suborbitals

Thank you very much.

Peter is gonna flip when he sees it.

It was my pleasure, I hope to do more eventually. I am very inspired by what you guys are doing and think that anything that it is a step towards space for everyone. Look at aviation, the Wright brothers didn't have a billion dollar budget or access to manufacturing plants across the nation. They didn't start with a Ramjet powered delta wing. They used what they had and in the process they started a revolution same as you guys. Godspeed and Ad astra.

Remind me what the vanes at the end of the engine nozzle do, like gimbalin but less complicated?

-Engine gimbal: extremely complicated and expensive.

-Aillerons: Cool and simple, but can't be tested on a static test.

-Jet Vanes: Heavy metal ailerons stuck on the rocket flame... Profit!

You know, if you guys get into orbital flight someday, I can think of a number of lightweight payloads and harebrained "I bet I could build a lunar spacecraft out of some pipe and paperclips" ideas... Though mostly it's just a matter of "do you like KSP enough to give the developers free orbital launch vouchers" :sticktongue:

I (believe) the Juno 1 launcher, which put Explorer 1 into orbit, could deliver more than 7 kilograms to TLI. I also found a design for a cubesat that could land there that weighed 3 kilograms total, 2 for the ion drive system and 1 for the lander. I imagine we could build a cubesat base on the moon for a really low cost.

I've got an idea for a tiny lunar flyby spacecraft weighing about 4 kg. 1 kg for the payload, 3 kg for the rocket booster. Communications would be handled by a long copper strip acting as a whip antenna, shaped into an arc and wound up tightly into a drum - like a tape measure. After disconnection from the booster, the antenna would pop out and be held stiff by the arced shape of the metal. Meanwhile, the nosecone of the craft would pop off to reveal a small camera assembly, controlled via joystick back on earth.

My rough offhand calculations say that with 220s ISP, 3 kg of fuel and 1 kg of payload/structure, you can send that 1 kg of payload on a translunar trajectory.

Guidance could likely be a simple PID controller controlling thrust vanes like on Copenhagen's rockets. It doesn't need to be terribly precise, it doesn't need to land or anything, just get close to the moon. It could very well be as simple as "wait until in position, make sure rocket pointing forward, press button, fire motor, enter translunar trajectory".

Cubesats aren't an option by the way, at least not official ones. They forbid you from using hazardous materials and I think rocket engines would qualify for that.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Its nice somebody here to KSP care and give us models of Copenchagen Suborbitals Space Program.

Its nice for us and like this support with this way the excellent work of these people of Copenchagen Suborbitals.

Good luck on the launch,i am sure everything be good!