Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Another awesome video @Cupcake....  I love how you always use parts for other visuals, like the antennas and seismometers for fishing poles and beer soda cans.  No idea how you turned the mini drill into a pogo stick, lol.  My favorite part was knocking the debris over with the engine plume. :)

Question: which visual mod gives Minmus that greenish gaseous look around the surface?

Edited by Raptor9

6 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Another awesome video @Cupcake....  I love how you always use parts for other visuals, like the antennas and seismometers for fishing poles and beer soda cans.  No idea how you turned the mini drill into a pogo stick, lol.  My favorite part was knocking the debris over with the engine plume. :)

Question: which visual mod gives Minmus that greenish gaseous look around the surface?

It's called SciFI Visual Enhancements. :wink: 

Cupcake...

I don't mean to sound like a "Doubting Debbie", but how do we know (without having the craft file ourselves) that this craft that's powered by the horribly inefficient Rapier engine that chugs on oxidizer like a frat boy at a university keggar has the delta-V requirements for Minmus?

I've tried replicating this craft myself and I have some doubts about legitimacy.

6 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

I don't mean to sound like a "Doubting Debbie", but how do we know (without having the craft file ourselves) that this craft that's powered by the horribly inefficient Rapier engine that chugs on oxidizer like a frat boy at a university keggar has the delta-V requirements for Minmus?

I've tried replicating this craft myself and I have some doubts about legitimacy.

Oh Ye of little faith! I'm just on holiday at the moment but I'll have the craft file up when I get back in the next day or so. from memory you've got about 1800m/s Delta V in a stable 80kx80k orbit, more then enough to get to Minmus and back. :wink:

Cupcake..

2 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Oh Ye of little faith! I'm just on holiday at the moment but I'll have the craft file up when I get back in the next day or so. from memory you've got about 1800m/s Delta V in a stable 80kx80k orbit, more then enough to get to Minmus and back. :wink:

Cupcake..

Oh Cupcake... I don't doubt that's doable, but 1800 m/s is a tight margin even in my books. Maybe we just use different ascent profiles when flying our respective space planes. I tend to start at 5 or 10 degrees until 500 m/s then I pitch up to 20 usually.

5 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Oh Cupcake... I don't doubt that's doable, but 1800 m/s is a tight margin even in my books. Maybe we just use different ascent profiles when flying our respective space planes. I tend to start at 5 or 10 degrees until 500 m/s then I pitch up to 20 usually.

I've flown to Minmus quite a few times in the course of testing. I can usually make it back again with around 200m/s of DV in the tanks. Anyway, I'll try and have the craft file up next day or so and you can take her for a spin yourself if you like.

Cupcake...

1 hour ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

@Cupcake... 

Bring Back Niebles Now!!!!

Part 2 has been shot! Trouble with Niebles is it's a group project and aligning the schedules of 3 very busy people has proved to be a bit challenging. It will be released one day soon though. :wink:

Cupcake...

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

My first SSTO, gets to orbit with about 300 dV remaining, and when back in atmo, has about 5-10 minutes of engine power 

Nice one Linux. A 1930s style open cockpit all the way to space? I bet Jeb is loving it.

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

My first SSTO, gets to orbit with about 300 dV remaining, and when back in atmo, has about 5-10 minutes of engine power 

yB3pSqf.jpg

Nice! Love the open cockpit and the baby rapiers. :D

Cupcake...

14 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Though if you put most of them in a service bay you would probably have a few more ms of dV from drag reduction :wink:

They aren't needed, when I remove them I get more dV from both weight reduction and drag reduction.

But they are there for looks, not for usage.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dafni said:

A cargo plane? Nice! Maybe next a cargo SSTO do deliver a brand new lander/dropship to LKO? :sealed:

I'll start by delivering things on Kerbin and work my way up from there! :D

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

Keep in mind that Cupcake optimizes things more than NASA does.

There is a long range (drop tank) model which puts out a more generous 3k in LKO. :wink:

Cucpake...

Edited by Cupcake...

2 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Heh all, thought you might enjoy seeing the Mastodon in action. :wink:

Nice! Cool video. Some pretty hairy maneuvers for a cargo bird :o

the song had me laughing too, nice choice

Edited by Dafni

23 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Heh all, thought you might enjoy seeing the Mastodon in action.

Cupcake...

Not that I'm anyone in particular, but I am constantly impressed with your creations, both the ships themselves and the presentations of them. You make both designing and flying look effortless and easy when I know the opposite is true. Your work is an inspiration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.