Your first planet

SpaceshipFood

Jool, on accident. Yeah, really.

One of my first craft, after taking a loooong break and then picking back up at .18, to get a good Kerbin escape just happened to get a Jool encounter. Had just enough fuel left to get into an orbit, but it's so far out Jool is just a dot.

Kerbin is pretty much the only planet I've ever "gotten" to. In a tragic accident, Orbital Station Barclay accidentally hit Eve while orbiting Kerbol (the sun), but I don't think that counts.

I'm working on getting Rovers to Mun and Eve.

EDIT - By gotten to, I'm actually being slightly serious. I've gone all the way arround it three times, polar once and equatorial twice, and once made a space station that could launch rockets back down to KSC.

Well sir, I wish the best for you in your planetary endeavors! Protractor helps!

I first landed on the obvious Duna. My first attempt could not get an encounter with Duna, so I abandoned that, and on the second try, I made it. I was planning on leaving the Kerbal stuck in Duna orbit and rendezvousing with him with another ship, but it turns out I heavily overestimated the amount of delta-v it takes to return and I could return using a not very efficient engine.

Duna was my first (did it 2 nights ago). I did it with very little planning. I got a ship into orbit and then I figured out which planet I could get to the quickest. Duna won the lottery so off I went. I managed to land on the surface but I don't have enough fuel to get back so they're going to be the first Duna colony.

The first planet i tried to get to was Eve, on my first attempt not really knowing what i was doing i ran out fuel and ended up orbiting kerbol forever, after installing a nuclear engine i tried again and with the help of some Scott Kermanley videos, i spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get there before finally i managing an honest to goodness real encounter with it, my first view of Eve was a magnificent experience, i orbited and landed, only in a pod with a chute however, yet another one-way mission but a very memorable one.

Eve. My first rover had enough fuel to get to an orbit around it, but not enough for deorbiting.

My second attempt could actually land. At first it looked like I was going to fall into sea, but luckily there was a tiny island.

I also have six Kerbals on Duna, living in command modules. And one rover on Laythe.

All my interplabetary missions have been one-way so far, but I'll attempt a Duna return trip soon, if I can assemble a big enough ship.

My first was Eve, achieved yesterday by shear luck. I was testing out a new launcher that i thought one day might take me outside Kerbin's orbit. I was using the Mun as a target and staging practice and, well, missed. I quickly realized I had a delightful window approaching.

It was the first launch for the launcher that actually made it TO orbit.

I'm amazed at how many people "accidently" arrived at a planet, I have a hard enough time lining up my trajectory on purpose. Space is a big place, I imagine if I accidently overshot the Mun or Minmus I'd just shoot myself into space, nowhere near anything.

I'm amazed at how many people "accidently" arrived at a planet,

It's not so much that you accidentally ARRIVED at a planet, but that due to an accident you missed your first target and decided to continue on to the next in line. If you aim at Minmus and miss, you're probably on an escape trajectory from Kerbin's SOI. At that point, you can try to re-intersect Kerbin's SOI, but that either takes a lot of fuel or a lot of waiting. So instead, you go for the next easiest target, Ike. You arrive at Duna and find yourself in an awkward polar orbit, so setting up an Ike intercept would be really time-consuming and/or take a lot of fuel; it's just easier to land on Duna at that point, since the atmosphere will remove a lot of your velocity for you. And so on.

Duna.

I achieved orbit, decoupled the lander and deorbited it: at 15km, I realized I had no chutes onboard :0.0:

a powered landing ensued, safely putting Jeb & Bob down on the surface, but with no chance of getting back to orbit:

they spent the following year collecting and trading rocks, waiting for the rescue mission to arrive.

true Kerbal spirit :)

I have landed unmanned rovers and landers on Eve and Duna, and I currently have my first manned Duna mission waiting for a launch window. Wish me luck!
Good luck with your mission! And don't forget to bring us some Duna Rocks:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.