What is your favourite sci-fi/irl spacecraft, and why?

Asmosdeus

All the ships from Star wars... and also the Battlecruiser from the first Starcraft.

Also like all the tech / ships / robots from Yoko Tsuno comic books

EDIT: Vessels from Titan A.E are nice!

Edited by JaySmoka

Wow.. what an impossible choice.. I don't think I could name my favourite one. Star Trek's ship designs were pretty spectacular I have to say, but if I was going to pick one ship from my childhood that I really wanted to go on, it would probably be.. (see if you can guess it)

image.php?id=D770_51963029&jpg

Everything in the Space Odyssey books and movies are quite realistic. Including the lack of sound in space.

That's because Sir Arthur C. Clarke was the co-author and technical adviser. About the only unrealistic thing was the lack of heat radiators on the Discovery, which Clarke wanted but was over-ruled for cinematic aesthetic reasons.

Wow.. what an impossible choice.. I don't think I could name my favourite one. Star Trek's ship designs were pretty spectacular I have to say, but if I was going to pick one ship from my childhood that I really wanted to go on, it would probably be.. (see if you can guess it)

image.php?id=D770_51963029&jpg

That's the Odyssey from Ulysses 2031.

Edited by nyrath

That's because Sir Arthur C. Clarke was the co-author and technical adviser. About the only unrealistic thing was the lack of heat radiators on the Discovery, which Clarke wanted but was over-ruled for cinematic aesthetic reasons.

That's the Odyssey from Ulysses 2031.

Correct! such a classic cartoon, brings back good memories.

For Sci-fi I’m going with the good ol’ Star Destroyer.

StarDestroyer.jpg

Of course it makes no sense realistically, but damn that thing looks badass. Maybe it was because I was a little kid when I first saw it but I just love the look of it.

For real life, the Saturn V of course. Because it’s so ridiculously big and powerful. The N1 would be a runner up if the thing didn’t explode every time they launched it.

Considering the United Kingdoms uninterest in Space (the UKSA just wants unmanned exploration) then this will likely be fictional. ;.;

skylon-orbit-reaction-engines.jpg

Also, I like your signature Dr. Muttonstache, that's what happens when you don't grammar check your posts :D

Pretty much all of the horatio ships in Endless Space because I (and likely you) have not seen anything so unique. A coincidence considering that the faction that uses them are narcissists:

mlpoue.jpg

2552p7l.jpg

5cgmky.jpg

Edited by WhiteWeasel

Many.

Saturn V

Apollo LM

Space Shuttle

Titan

Mercury-Atlas

Soyuz

Energia

Saturn IB

Voyager

Apollo CSM

N1-L3

YOU CAN'T BLAME MEH FOR ALL DEM GOOD LOOKING SHIPS

Edit: I have fictional favs now.

Rover from Moon (2009)

Harvester from Moon (2009)

That's all I can think of for now

Edited by Agent30632

For fictional spacecraft, my favorite is the ISV Venture Star from Avatar. I've got a thing for realistic looking spacecraft even in fiction.

ISV_Venture_Star.jpg

For real ones, my favorite is the Apollo CSM/Lander duo. It's just beautiful.

Apollo11%20in%20Lunar%20Orbit.jpg

the USS Enterprise of course :confused:

fG7KErn.jpg

And the Energia!

The Energia was capable of lifting 9 times the amount of weight that the space shuttles did, and It was launched into orbit, did some maneuvers and landed 2m from it's target at the runway, completely unmanned. The Energia was in some ways superior to the shuttle, but was deemed too expensive, and kept their Soyuz program, which we still use today, 47 years later (another favorite)

The main difference between the space shuttle and the Buran, was that the Buran was capable of automated unmanned flight and landing, the boosters on the Energia where liquid fueled while the shuttle was solid fueled, the energia could launch heavier payloads, the space shuttle had reusable engines while the Buran only had OMS and RCS systems and the Energia was more expensive than a space shuttle.

(Energia is the launcher, Buran is the orbiter)

Yn10NSc.jpg

Real: Voyager I. The thing is out of and moving away from our solar system at 11 miles per second. How can that not be cool?

Sci-Fi: Uhm... if i can use video games it'll be The Sabre for Halo: Reach.

Real: Voyager I. The thing is out of and moving away from our solar system at 11 miles per second. How can that not be cool?

Imperial units are never cool!<G>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.