Smarter ASAS: Face the sun!

RuBisCO

Is there a mod that allows for attitude control to be lock such that one specific side of the space craft is always facing the sun? Would be useful for solar powered ion engines. If warping 4X Physically with mechjeb smart sas the ship loose track of the sun even if it keeps locked on target: in short mechjeb Smart SAS can't control all 3 axises at once, only 2... is there a mod that can?

• 3 months later...

No with mechjeb it can only orientate about the sun when orbiting the sun (Smart SAS as "surface") I would like to be able to orientate 1,2,3 axis in orientation to the sun no matter what body I'm oribiting so that I can keep solar panels in optimal orientation. Heck it would also be nice if I could get Drobotics parts to orientate themselvesin accordence to the sun since I used them to make gigantic solar arrays but I must manually turn them.

• 5 weeks later...

This may or may not apply.

I had a similar problem with a kethane probe around the Mun. What I did was use the mechJeb Smart A.S.S. to orient my ship to either normal or anti-normal. This works because the probe is on the end and it can rotate on it own. and the solar panels (the stock 1x6 ones) rotate to face the sun when not blocked by the Mun.

The 4 solar panels are radially mounted 90 degrees apart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.