Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

24 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

No real progress.  I'm leaning towards a rewrite, dropping the TacLib dependencies.  At the moment I'm unclear which procedures and variables are linked from where, and considering TacLib hasn't been updated in several versions (last worked in 0.25) it seems a bit silly to fudge it around to keep it in the loop.  Esp as it's mostly there for GUI elements, which is the bit that's most radically different in 1.1.

The main problem is I have no idea what I'm doing though.  :-)

Arg, the external Lib is indeed a pain. Perhaps there is an alternative approach, like use Roverdude code his Orion  engine and customize it for the USAFOrion

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Arg, the external Lib is indeed a pain. Perhaps there is an alternative approach, like use Roverdude code his Orion  engine and customize it for the USAFOrion

I considered this, and it has appeal for a short term "get it working" type thing. But I'd really like to have the less cartoon Orion  working.  Many of the challenges of Orions are missing from Roverdude's version. And having the more realistic looking craft have rainbow sparkle exhaust just seems wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well you can try. I recompiled it against KSP 1.2.1

Well, that was unexpected.

The UI is fixed.  Right clicking on the engine has the start and kill options for pulse unit types.  I have never actually seen that function.  :-)  But the engine still doesn't actually do anything. 

If it's OK with you, I'll grab your source and work from there.  I was getting completely no-where before.

8 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Well, that was unexpected.

The UI is fixed.  Right clicking on the engine has the start and kill options for pulse unit types.  I have never actually seen that function.  :-)  But the engine still doesn't actually do anything. 

If it's OK with you, I'll grab your source and work from there.  I was getting completely no-where before.

Yes, that fine, the updated source code is in the file.

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, des54321 said:

Is this mod dead?

Just "mostly dead"  There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.  Basically, I don't know how to upgrade the modules.  Between the other mods, my day job, I just haven't had time to learn enough C# to even figure out what's going on.

Feel free to offer mad coding skillz.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 1:38 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Just "mostly dead"  There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.  Basically, I don't know how to upgrade the modules.  Between the other mods, my day job, I just haven't had time to learn enough C# to even figure out what's going on.

Feel free to offer mad coding skillz.

Is @FreeThinker's code in your Github repo? I'm looking for a good starting point with all the fixes that have been figured out thus far.

On 3/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

OK.  Rediscovered I have no real clue what I'm doing with Github, but it's updated now.  https://github.com/cerebrate/USAFOrion

Don't look at my fork, it's ancient. Old Fork deleted to avoid confusion  :-)

I really hope you guys can figure this out as I just installed it to try it and it still does not seem to work, I cant even get the models to show up in my VAB:(. This is my favorite Drive and I want to use it along with the newer Orion Mod as this ones models look different and better in some ways. I will be watching with anticipation, GOOD LUCK GUYS! 

2 hours ago, Kombat engineer said:

@TiktaalikDreaming Thanks for restoring this mod because a lot of people like the "nuclear engines that go realy fast and have op amounts of DV" type of engines.

Hey, it's not restored yet.  And if it gets restored, then it'll be significantly @FreeThinker and @HebaruSan that brought it back to life.  My C# skillz are limited to spotting math/algorithm errors.  AKA, I have no C# skillz.

1 minute ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Hey, it's not restored yet.  And if it gets restored, then it'll be significantly @FreeThinker and @HebaruSan that brought it back to life.  My C# skillz are limited to spotting math/algorithm errors.  AKA, I have no C# skillz.

By restoring I mean its got popular again.

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Heh, no promises yet. :)

I think the thing that's tripping it up the most right now is staging. OrionPusherPlate.onActiveFixedUpdate never gets called, and that's the function that makes it go, but if I call it from onPartFixedUpdate (note, that is not a real fix!), then I get the expected series of huge explosions propelling my craft upwards (and ripping it apart) as soon as the craft loads (interestingly, the drive doesn't shut off after the ammo gets ripped off the craft). I think this means the engine is inactive because it never gets activated through staging. And indeed, I don't see an icon for it in the staging list; does anyone else, or can anyone confirm that it worked that way originally?

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Heh, no promises yet. :)

I think the thing that's tripping it up the most right now is staging. OrionPusherPlate.onActiveFixedUpdate never gets called, and that's the function that makes it go, but if I call it from onPartFixedUpdate (note, that is not a real fix!), then I get the expected series of huge explosions propelling my craft upwards (and ripping it apart) as soon as the craft loads (interestingly, the drive doesn't shut off after the ammo gets ripped off the craft). I think this means the engine is inactive because it never gets activated through staging. And indeed, I don't see an icon for it in the staging list; does anyone else, or can anyone confirm that it worked that way originally?

I agree, it seems to be disconnected from staging.  There's no trigger to start the engine.  

RE: Pusher plate still firing after it's lost the ammo.  I think the pusher plate code sums up the available pulse units and builds a table.  And it does so on craft load.  So as far as the game is concerned, the pulse units are stored as values attached to the pusher plate, until something calls the function to recalculate pulse units.  

The original was staging driven, to turn it on anyway.  You could stop it with the throttle, or by disabling all the nuke feed options.  Or presumably the right click menu for engines.  I'm assuming the changes they made to the staging system in 1.2 has disconnected it from whatever it is it needs to be connected to.

2 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The original was staging driven, to turn it on anyway.  You could stop it with the throttle, or by disabling all the nuke feed options.  Or presumably the right click menu for engines.  I'm assuming the changes they made to the staging system in 1.2 has disconnected it from whatever it is it needs to be connected to.

OK, after checking some of the staging-related properties, I'm having luck setting these in the constructor in OrionPusherPlate.cs; they were blank and false, respectively. The icon shows up in the VAB and in flight, and the engine activates when I press space. I have not worked with part modding before, so this may or may not be the right way to solve this problem, but it should at least demonstrate what the problem is.

public OrionPusherPlate()
            : base()
        {
            stagingIcon = "LIQUID_ENGINE";
            stagingIconAlwaysShown = true;
        }

I'm going to attempt a non-atmospheric test to see if my craft is more resilient in vacuum, then submit a pull request if it still looks OK.

Impulse per nuke is much higher in an atmosphere.  That's one of my only actual contributions to the code.  :-)

// add velocity
            float atmo = (float)(Math.Pow(((double)this.vessel.atmDensity),0.333))*12;
            this.aNukeRound.bombImpulse = this.aNukeRound.bombImpulse*((atmo) + 1);

Based on estimates of effectiveness.  At sea level, most pulse units would be a bit better than 10 times as powerful as in vacuum.  So, starting with the small nukes is a good plan for surface launches.  Or good old hyperedit. :D

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Pull request submitted. Should be enough to get the old girl boomin' again.

https://github.com/cerebrate/USAFOrion/pull/3

Merged, compiled, tested, and my install is so badly broken with all sorts of garbage I can't actually tell.  And I need to go out.  I'll build a new install without all this other crud, and only one edition of the Orion.  That last bit is probably the key. :D

OK.  Updating right now to 0.31 for KSP 1.2.  Confirmed working.  Once I got rid of all my weird variants.  So far I only have the "TD Variant" working.  So that's not the original Nyrath parts, but the version where you have to add bomb loader floors and there's 3 types of payload floor.  It's also rescaled to 64% for kerbals.  So there isn't actually a 10m Orion available, just a 6.4m and a 16.8m (86 foot).

Further work to be put into what it is that stops my other parts working.  Because I'd like to be able to make the parts a bit saner (the mod is 90+MB, for only a few parts, which is nuts) without breaking stuff.

https://spacedock.info/mod/149/Orion TD Edition

37 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

the mod is 90+MB, for only a few parts, which is nuts)

It just contains xcf files (GIMP image sources) and .ddsified files (backups created by dds converter), every several megabytes and not used by KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.