NEWS: International Space Station Leaking Coolant

Levelord

They should do an Apollo 13 thing where things are going wrong and the crew have to race to repair it... Would raise more viewers like 13 did... bah... I'm a pessimist lol.

Didn't something similar happen to MIR?

They should do an Apollo 13 thing where things are going wrong and the crew have to race to repair it... Would raise more viewers like 13 did...

Ha, not actually true.. I remember the major difference from reality was that they found out those CO2 cleaners (was it the problem, or the batteries? forgot, whatever) were faulty right after the explosion, and they started solving the problem.. Slowly. Not like it was shown in the film, no one was panicking and no one was running xD

If something goes wrong on the station, they always have a backup of the backup of the backup of the backup of the system.

And the same goes for this movie Gravity... A trained astronaut in that situation wouldn't be screaming and panting. They are trained for that sort of situation, so they would probably calmly activate their SAFER and scoot back to the ISS (assuming the ISS hasn't disintegrated).

Is it time t panic? This is serious, people.

No, this isn't. 7 other loops to provide redundancy. That's how aeronautical engineers roll, no single system failure can take out something like ISS. It may, however, restrict some science operations and waste coolant, which is why I imagine they are anxious to use some spare radiator to fix it ASAP.

Rune. I wonder what is the minimum numbers of failures to mandate an evacuation. That trailer, I think, would qualify.

I wonder what is the minimum numbers of failures to mandate an evacuation. That trailer, I think, would qualify.

I don't know, but I think it depends on the nature of the failures. I know that there are some situations, like the risk of an MMOD collision, where the procedure is for the crew to sit it out in the Soyuz just in case.

Woah! Cuaron made a space movie! One of my favourite directors! Remember Children of Men? I don't think this would match it but it could be good. It does look too blockbusterish however with Clooney and Bullock.

From an "realistic time" point of view, collision would happen in a moment and Astronauts would probably have to react dramatically/adrenalinally =) ..for about 5 seconds after which everything would be calm and they would suddenly start assessing damage and what can be done to stabilize situation, which would probably take days (even enough to send a rescue ship). Not the Hollywood-overdramaticized 5 minutes of action as I presume from the trailer. But it's Cuaron so this trailer might only look dramaticized and not the film itself.

From the physical point of view, beside the Hollywood dramatics, I don't understand why is the stuff deorbiting in case of space collision. It would need a lot of retrograde force to move that mass. If that force came from a single collision, the station would rather completely shatter. You would need constant force (eg. if thrusters would accidentally fire) to deorbit and keep it in one piece. You could send it into dangerous spin however. If the altitude control was off it would take months or years for the station to deorbit.

From the graphical point of view, it looks surprisingly realistic wow! All craft models are 100% accurate, the amount of debris looks realistic too IMO.

Edited by nothke

Woah! Cuaron made a space movie! One of my favourite directors! Remember Children of Men? I don't think this would match it but it could be good. It does look too blockbusterish however with Clooney and Bullock.

From an "realistic time" point of view, collision would happen in a moment and Astronauts would probably have to react dramatically/adrenalinally =) ..for about 5 seconds after which everything would be calm and they would suddenly start assessing damage and what can be done to stabilize situation, which would probably take days (even enough to send a rescue ship). Not the Hollywood-overdramaticized 5 minutes of action as I presume from the trailer. But it's Cuaron so this trailer might only look dramaticized and not the film itself.

From the physical point of view, beside the Hollywood dramatics, I don't understand why is the stuff deorbiting in case of space collision. It would need a lot of retrograde force to move that mass. If that force came from a single collision, the station would rather completely shatter. You would need constant force (eg. if thrusters would accidentally fire) to deorbit and keep it in one piece. You could send it into dangerous spin however. If the altitude control was off it would take months or years for the station to deorbit.

From the graphical point of view, it looks surprisingly realistic wow! All craft models are 100% accurate, the amount of debris looks realistic too IMO.

Yeah, I didn't get the deorbiting thing either... The only thing I could possibly think of is that it was being deorbited intentionally... but that makes no sense. Why would they still be there and in EVA? So it looks likely they just didn't really know how orbits worked and went with the "spacecraft are planes" thing so when it gets broken it falls down.

Back on the topic!

In about an hour the spacewalk starts:

NASA TV, Live

=)

Cool! They really went fast for this one, they must be leaking a lot of ammonia, relatively speaking.

Rune. Will I get to have free time to watch the cool parts, becomes the question?

The fastest one to put on the pad is the one that is the closest to launch. As it happens, the final ATV flight is scheduled for 5 June 2012, which is in only a couple of weeks. However it might be postponed, because the last Progress is suspected to have damaged the Kurs docking equipment.

Not that there is any emergency. There are currently at least 3 spare ammoniac pump units on the station.

Yes, and don't forget that EVA is a pretty physical task. It's hard to move in those suits, the thermal conditions are pretty extreme, and these guys have to remain concentrated for 8 or 10 hours because a single screwup can kill them or their partner. Tough job, tough guys.

Yeah, was awesome to watch live transmission from space :) I wonder if/when we'll get more EVA tasks in KSP? Repairing solar panels, radiators, antennas, installing new parts in space - that would add a lot of flavour to the game. Anyways, those shots of Mission Control? Not what a layman would expect after watching Apollo 13 :) A bunch of dudes milling around, talking, yawning, stretching, chugging water - about as much adrenaline and action as in lukewarm pudding. And they still got better end of the deal than two poor astronauts floating in black void, waiting idly for sunrise half an hour away.

Anyways, those shots of Mission Control? Not what a layman would expect after watching Apollo 13 :) A bunch of dudes milling around, talking, yawning, stretching, chugging water - about as much adrenaline and action as in lukewarm pudding. And they still got better end of the deal than two poor astronauts floating in black void, waiting idly for sunrise half an hour away.

Spaceflight has always involved a lot waiting around. These guys don't have timewarp ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.