Xeldrak

Finished a Tu-95 I've been working on for quite a while (click for full res):

http://i.imgur.com/848g7RUh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qYlE3Fnh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I1JsvEzh.png

http://i.imgur.com/jUnHnHVh.png

Also made a special something for it:

http://i.imgur.com/66K7qBKh.png

No pics of it dropping though because KSP decided to crash.

HOW?!?!?! Wow!!

That Bear and the ring station are stunning, fantastic work.

Makes my achievements look a little pathetic in comparison, however having started a new game with Remote Tech I'm quite happy to have my initial omni-directional network up, along with a ScanSat equipped probe in a polar orbit.

screenshot21.png

Today I landed kerbals on Ike for only the second time ever while spinning some vintage Disco. I've still yet to plant a flag on that dreadful rock, maybe tomorrow evening. No pictures yet because Dropbox is being glitchy and crashing for me... so those are trapped on my Win10 Box until whatever is going on clear up.

I have just joined the forum, so that is what I did here today. lol

Welcome to the Forums!

Walt_Kerman.jpgWalt: Time for a little news from our side. An increasing number of private and corparate Kerbals seem to find it funny lately to get stranded in fancy orbits or on surfaces of other celestial bodies.

Wernher_Von_Kerman.jpgWernher von: Yeah but we finally found a remedy for that ... and a true Kerbal construction ... the tripod rescue rover lander lifter vessel ... called REPOMAN. It can pluck stranded Kerbals including pods from orbit as well as surfaces and return them to KSC. And if it lands too far from KSC it can just taxi back! Isn't that just great?? :cool:

repoman_orbit.jpg

repoman_landing.jpg

repoman_taxiing.jpg

Gene_Kerman.jpgGene: Yeah and now we get lots of missions to rescue those freaks.

Mortimer_Kerman.jpgMortimer: Missions = Money :D - But you guys wasted quite some funds too, think about the Minmus mining rover incident!

Gene_Kerman.jpgGene: Oh no, we lost our old mining hulk on Minmus and brought a new one immediately since otherwise our trainings mission for 9 Kerbonaut trainees would have been stranded on Minmus. At least no Kerbals were harmed in this one.

minmus_mining_hulk_accident.jpg

Wernher_Von_Kerman.jpgWernher von: Bah we have way better ways to burn funds! Just think about testing of our new prototype Shuttle-06 for extended orbital operations. We already rammed one of those into the runway!

shuttle_06_testflight.jpg

Walt_Kerman.jpgWalt: I hate to step in here but we are here to report from successes not fails ... :mad:

... TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED ...

I realized a good Duna launch window is close upon me, so I hustled to put together a Duna orbiter and lander/rover. A test launch revealed some weaknesses, which were corrected; then the revised version was sent around the Mun and back to Kerbin on a test run. Everything looks "go"... launch of two probes to Duna scheduled for later today!

The lets fix this little error (using the height of a 4 segment SRB rather than the 5 segment), I hate that the colors wrong, paint it, wow looks good, I should make a video now scatterer seems to be working really good on OpenGL, OK there a few other changes I need to make and mods to add to make the video better, also it would look better if this worked like that, lets rebuild that bit to fit aaaaannnd, virtually a whole new rocket later. Update to original coming real soon now (need to get rid of the mods, mostly cameras). This thing has been launched so many times in the last day or so, it's image is burned into the LCD.

BiVxciO.png

Last night I was watching the finale of ANW, so I got to KSP late. Redesigned the Mourning Dove 7 rescue capsule into the Project Peacock 7, basically by adding a fairing, an antenna and a pair of Clamp-O-Tron docking ports to the side; loaded up some KAS tools into the cockpit of the thing and shot Bill in the direction of Minmus on a mission to fix the Sojourner 7 probe currently in polar Minmus orbit. Realized pretty early on that the Peacock won't have enough delta-V to ensure a successful rendezvous - to say nothing about getting Bill home again - and so Mikaliea was loaded up into a Station Hub rocket and Minmusport 7 is now in the process of being established. Bill will arrive at Minmus in nine days, about a day ahead of the station. I plan on putting him in a loose orbit and having him rendezvous with the station first before setting out to rendezvous with the probe. I would certainly hope that 1,300 m/s would be enough to affect a successful rendezvous.

Jeb and company are about a day from Kerbin's atmo, and Bob's final Minmus science mission is scheduled to arrive back at Kerbin in another three days. Took at look at which techs I might want to unlock next...RAPIER engines are on my short list, as are RTGs. Between the two they'll definitely wipe out the 3000+ science I expect Bob to be hauling back with him...

Continuing to try out 64K.

After a second successful orbital flight, Dragon's Dove IV sends Higela Kerman on a circum-Munar free-return trajectory.

L1yU2F0.jpg?1

Booster separation (surprised how smoothly it worked first try). Really liking how 64K launch vehicles actually look big enough to do the things they're supposed to be doing. This thing had two core stages, two sets of asparagus boosters, plus the service module and retro-rockets. 258 tons, 30 meters high, 115,000 space bucks, and all it did was send one Kerbal on a free-return (and it just barely had enough delta-v to do that).

exKd6UH.jpg?1

Higela Kerman--[my] first Kerbal to see the far side of the 64K Mun! Also the first to reenter at 8 km/sec (which, to my surprise, went smoothly).

JGV3uiO.jpg?1

After a couple of test flights of varying degrees of success, Silent Pioneer III and Silent Pioneer V completed my first rendezvous and docking (IV was a pad abort).

yrG6gPy.jpg?1

It's actually a bit easier in 64K because the orbit is larger, so there's less drift. Also tried using a new docking technique: Persistent Rotation keeping one ship aligned prograde and the other retrograde (instead of MechJeb/SAS having each target the other). Worked great.

tmAmphR.jpg?1

Didn't feel like setting up a proper satellite network so I sent up this Kessler bomb comsat constellation. 8 grapefruit comsats on one launch vehicle--the idea is they'll eventually drift apart into separate orbits, providing pretty good coverage.

Been gone awhile, life of a Full Timer and Father.

Anyhow, Did some exploring of the Mun with rover collecting Science and Site Seeing, holy crap did this take forever. Saw all but one monolith, that was up a plateau that I don't have the torque to get to apex of. Saw Armstrong monument, when doing the search for monoliths found the attached one as is, buried up to top 4 inches of it.

Finally go to getting contract completed, sort of. Had to put a satellite into polar orbit of Mun, with power antenna and MATERIALS BAY, which I keep forgetting is a Science-JR, not a Service Bay, so upon arrival at correct spot, it dawned on me my screw up, but all wasn't a loss, still had a temp sensor to use and a few scans to make with it and the survey scanner. Now back to VAB to create correct satellite for contract and new rover to do surface seismic readings, now that I have unlocked the last of the rover wheels.

6900EE2D3DAC83834C915D4F4B8F698280A9633D

DB26BCB07E5CA91E79B8B31AB5C0C1A3CC3C1B9B

D582FFF84F5D884D889F0BD819DF688D012C11E4

90D78F2BD72877B809464B1ED8743C1ECA2437E3

This actually flew surprisingly well to my surprise.

914EC7A3125AD7EA485B5C4FBDB260F284A4A12A

E047FD8FB8377389881D51DB692F296722BAEEDC

11E686F57687B6795D3F52ABCD9054A3E4DA87B0

9E44250746AE846BAD00DA14ECECFF82FD0E859C

A1D88D240070E8EA4D56AAE8815677CA8A94A318

I'm currently a bit annoyed by the fact how hard it is to design something that can land on Eve, refuel itself there and get back to orbit. I made a design, it looks promesing, I can get it down in one piece, but haven't been able to get it up. There are minor tweaks everywhere to do until it's perfect. Eve is hard. Hopefully not hard enough to break me and take the fun out of the game.

To release some anger I built a plane (I always build planes, dozens of them, many get never a real name and just overwritten. I like designing them) and practice on how low I can fly at high speeds.

xg0cznY.jpg

Realised that my first Remote Tech KomSat didn't have enough power to run both the omni and the dish. D'Oh. Luckily I'd had minor redesign before I launched the other 3 in the network, and even better I had a mission come up to do an orbital rendezvous, so I got paid to replace it. I launched another one to orbit the Mun (mun flyby and the first step of explore mun contracts) and will probably put up another couple of them around the Mun before I go for a landing there. Waiting for Minimus flyby and explore contracts before I head there.

I'm rather linking this restart, Remote Tech is making me have to plan a bit more than usual.

Built and tested a new lifter, to put up the claw-tug I hope to use to bring the Lab a rescuee left in LKO to a more convenient location (or possibly take the Mun Retrograde one to Minmus), and provide the crew capsules for science transfer. Then, I decided to bring Mirgrid home from Stopover in the Triangle Prototype, along with her Minmus science, so I could unlock the parts to build a new spaceplane, with a proper crew cabin. Of course, this means that I need to go get more science data in order to stock up the labs... ah well.

b05d4e6502168d7d7ee1b698d0ad0fa5.png

Here's the lifter and the tug on the launchpad. Took a bit of fiddling to make sure the droptanks drained in the right order, but they didn't need to be tied to each other. The tug is 19.3t, and with the lifter it comes up to 139.9t, just under the weight limit of my launchpad (I have plenty of money to upgrade it, I just haven't seen the need yet). The Kickbacks are at full thrust, and at launch the whole thing has a TWR of just over 1.2.

97b5afb57ed097b1d3bd3da3db013966.png

bb54a08c3231d04795a6b826fb694af8.png

The droptanks that are not on the boosters drain completely before the ones that are on the boosters even begin to be tapped, and the solid fuel runs out just after the droptanks on the boosters run dry, which is all very neat. There's a slight drop in speed at that point, as TWR is then at the lowest point in the whole launch (dropping below 1 for the first time), but momentum and the beginnings of the gravity turn - along with continued fuel burning - mean that soon the rocket is accelerating again.

56e1d698a977f0e34ca498c232d09d1e.png

453c7147cf55ef8173f8cd8a46d32b4a.png

I tried to keep the apoapse about a minute away until it reached 72km, and then roughly held it there, coasted and circularised.

9e188412dff20263d2ccf4f5edb0b543.png

3ab960cb0b6203e438229ec4fe184395.png

And as you can see, there's still a little leftover fuel in the lifter once at a circular orbit. You may also see the problem with the tug that was the primary reason I reverted this and decided to try and test my ability to time a launch to catch up with an orbiting body without much maneuvering by relaunching this at some point in the future - the solar panels obstruct the thrust of the Thuds that will be pulling the Lab. So, I've taken the probe core, batteries, and solar panels out of the service bay, swapped the batteries and solar panels, rotated the bay, and put the probe core back in (to keep its alignment), and then put the rest of the ship back. Effectively, I've just exchanged the positions of the doors and solar panels with the walls and batteries in the bay.

9fbb93e19e814055c555b1ba7c305fc7.png

22b730807bb614750b55747b613574f7.png

Mirgrid's flight home was largely fine. I wasted a touch of fuel for a course correction that I could have just adjusted my gliding to perform, and ended up rolling off the runway when stopping. I think I need to dive earlier. She got back with enough science to bring me to 293, and I unlocked the parts to make a crew carrier spaceplane (specifically the Mk2 Crew Cabin's node). I've already tested its ascent into orbit, I just have to dock it, let off passengers and fly it home. Once that journey is complete, I'll talk about it in more detail.

Edited by Concentric

I realized a good Duna launch window is close upon me, so I hustled to put together a Duna orbiter and lander/rover. A test launch revealed some weaknesses, which were corrected; then the revised version was sent around the Mun and back to Kerbin on a test run. Everything looks "go"... launch of two probes to Duna scheduled for later today!

I ended up launching three, rather than two-- one on a "fast track," one on a fuel-sipper route, and one down the middle of those two. (I learned my lesson from my Science Sandbox campaign to space out the arrival of multiple probes, lest one burn up in the atmosphere aerobraking while I attend to another one...) This also will allow me a spare for an Ike landing if I'm successful with #1 and/or #2. Kerbal Alarm Clock is set for all of them. It's all good!

I remembered last night why I hated the Ballista 7a probe delivery plane so much; I somehow have managed to create a design that exhibits Dutch Roll. Flew great during launch, probe delivery was success, re-entry no sweat, no problems whatsoever until it came time to land the sunuvabitch. Took eight tries to get it right...

Anyway, that's what I did last night - launched a probe for contract out towards Minmus. It will arrive in eleven days and I did finally get the plane down intact. Tonight I'll do it again, except for a probe orbiting Kerbin out past Mun's orbit. I'll have to delay the plane's re-entry a bit; Jeb and company aboard his Stratofortress 7 are due to hit atmo in five hours, so I may be doing that as well.

I remembered last night why I hated the Ballista 7a probe delivery plane so much; I somehow have managed to create a design that exhibits Dutch Roll. Flew great during launch, probe delivery was success, re-entry no sweat, no problems whatsoever until it came time to land the sunuvabitch. Took eight tries to get it right...
Needs a bigger vertical stabilizer then. Maybe less dihedral. Maybe both.

Edit: Pumping some fuel forward may also help damp it.

Edited by Val