What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The below is a spoiler for those who are using the new moon/planet of Rald. Avoid clicking to avoid spoilage.

Spoiler

dWxEjOv.jpg

(Dang that hole is deep. Firebird III was not the right vessel to explore it, but I could be tempted to try some time.)

Also, this... this is something you never want to see when using x4 timewarp:

oU1tXiy.jpg

After many ponderings, it was decided that Skyball station should stay in Rald orbit, so that it could be fed with data from the moon/planet below and get that extra research bonus.

This being the case, the on-site pilot, Tora Kerman, was instructed to finally bring the Dunaworrybehappy return pod home. It may have been in orbit for the last 5 years, but it was still worth 30 science upon recovery :)  Also, those SVT views are amazeballoons. 

P1RVqZo.jpg

As a bonus, Skyball now lags a lot less. Dunaworrybehappy was 40 parts, which was apparently the tipping point when adding any further vessels.

Extra bonus; world firsts for return from Duna and return from solar orbit. Because the Discovery One is incapable of landing and couldn't trigger that. Oh well, 300,000 roots is nothing to be sneezed at :)

Edited by eddiew

The "Leto" has landed.

C7B1D0C1B3E884721AC3E674CB00C5AA4608A0D5

First manned landing on another planet for me. Somewhat scary descent, but the parachutes and Thuds did their job. Landing is on a 10 degree slope though, and apparently, despite working on Kerbin, the ladders are now useless for ascent. I guess I'll have to get better at that before I go for Tylo and Eve.

Also, the rover (unnamed for now, but I guess "Jessica"') is 100 km away. Precision landing is hard.

Edited by Bogen

On 8/29/2016 at 9:48 AM, eloquentJane said:

@Corona688 If you're open to suggestions, there's a couple of things that may help to improve your SSTO rocket. Firstly, placing a fairing directly between the heat shield and the Twin Boar and using it to protect the tank at the top would make it far more aerodynamic and therefore mean that you lose less delta-v on ascent.

I expected it to improve only slightly, given the extra weight of the fairing...  I didn't think it'd improve that much.  At least 200 more fuel left by orbit now.  Thanks!

...my seprotrons are mysteriously failing now, though.  I moved them from the top to the bottom.  Vexing.

Edited by Corona688

Built a new space station, no name yet. 4 launches so far: habitation module w/ cupola, hab module w/ multi port, hab module w/ communications system, and both solar arrays went up on one rocket. Next up is science lab on the docking port facing down in the picture. Also, recovered almost 200k in boosters from these launches! 

mhTrsUn.png

6OUxFMY.png

*edit* added science lab with blow up habitat attached

JPnkRsT.png

Edited by AstroBovice

I worked on the first planet in my upcoming planet pack,  Stock Extended Solar System. It will come complete with SVE configs and SVT terrain textures :)

Didn't create a dev thread today.  Probably will tomorrow. 

MHxN6bq.pngPVXkxyA.pngJyH3zTH.pngVhgfYxG.png

Edited by Galileo

Deleted a few saved craft, decommissioned a few in orbit, game stability enhanced somewhat.

launched K2, my second Kerbin orbit station to meet a contract. Core up first, success on second attempt after the first broke up shortly after launch. Science lab module launched and docked first time (my third docking!) which went like clockwork. Station not yet crewed though.

tonight should see a fuel tank added, probably empty, with small docking ports for my current crew shuttles

About a month ago I tracked my first asteroid, WDP-148, and discovered it was on a collision course for Kerbin:

mun-on-a-stick.jpg

Made a long, long, long-awaited encounter 60 game days before impact.  WDP-148 has been redesignated WDP-148 Mun-On-A-Stick and is no longer on a collision course.

Edited by Corona688

Found this altogether too amusing.

kY68KDi.jpg

Aside from the runway donuts, the random drag forces, and all the other crap that comes with spaceplanes these days. After about 2 hours, finally had a design that could lift off before the worst of the phantom yaws set in - and they go away as soon as the wheels are off the tarmac, so he's fine from there on. Wings are tweakscaled to 150% to keep part count down, with the final tally being 88. He has just enough RCS to allow him to be the active participant in a docking, although his torque when full is a little sluggish. Rapiers and Nervas are of course beefed up with KR&D, delivering about 20% more thrust and 25% better ISP.

No cargo to speak of, just a massive fuel tank. Although now that he's up there, I'm not sure whether I actually want to follow the original plan and refuel Discovery. On the whole, Discovery is heavier than she's worth, will need at least two visits from Thomas to top up, doesn't have a science lab, and can't carry a large lander. As an interplanetary cruiser, she's kind of lacking.

On the up side, no reason to bring Thomas down again, so he can hang around in LKO for whoever happens to pass by. Orbital fuel caches are never a waste of time :)  (Although insisting on doing them as a spaceplane very much is!)

The Honeybee's trials begin, with a tour of the Kerbin system in the pursuit of science. The primary goal is actually to see how a large ship designed for aerobraking handles. Eventually I intend to send such ships interplanetary under nuclear power and ion or plasma propulsion, but I'm taking the opporunity to enjoy and learn from the prototyping process. The mission is really more of an engineering study but I don't have any mod that offers tech advancement for that, so I've loaded the ship with a lander and lab module; making the cargo bay longer than I thought looked right or felt necessary proved to be a good thing in the end.

20a9904d84.png

Docking 'sideways' into an enclosure was easier than I expected it to be (but as shown I have DPAI so I don't exactly have an appreciation of great difficulty or skill when it comes to docking). Enabling fine control for docking is really good and I fully recommend it.

4f0b04827a.png

Capture burn during Mun nighttime. The engine lighting highlights the fact I stuffed a scaled-up toroidal tank inside the framework.

6456839f4a.png

I-don't-remember-whom Kerman diligently clings to the ladder for hours, taking data and stuffing it into the lab, while orbital readings are taken.

1b9876153a.png

The lander (named Catfish because that's the first word that came to my mind at the time) undocked at night, but had to be redocked when I found the monoprop empty. Honeybee's lack of self-lighting and the awkwardness of docking with an object that is enclosed within its bay made this quite worrying, but I managed to refuel it and send it down. It's powered by the Fuji's engine from the Tantares mod; an excellent little motor for its size.

11c168e2b2.png

Setting this up (and for the first time doing some serious work with KIS/KAS) was quite fun in the same way building a house in Minecraft is. I forgot to add the deployable panels to Catfish before launching it but it seems these experiments don't actually have a power draw per se; they just need to have access to power in order to work. Turns out they're also a great way to get a significant amount of science even with a low modifier under difficulty settings.

cbaecc6f87.png

Scatterer's wireframe mode is useful for finding things that fell under the terrain surface.

7e4dd9f446.png

Back at the VAB (and sandbox mode) I restored the Sword Mk 12's pretty engine skirt and rebuilt the lower stage with fewer extra-long tanks and more white paint. I originally used SXT for large rocket parts but later switched to SpaceY, and only now thought of this use for the 'adaptive structure' parts. The crossbeams don't appear to interfere with engine function, but I might be wrong.

23c0905a0d.png

0e8a59aaa8.png

Hot off the production line: Sword Mk 13 prototype staging failure.

ca2c29acb3.png

This time with feeling (and asparagus).

44189cf06a.png

e65b7cfa10.png

(and timewarp)

c5f6e35527.png

Edited by Guest

Oh, just ACCIDENTALLY launched a nuke at the KSC... shot some lasers at the mun using BDArmory and constructed a flying self-destruct tree.

Dont ask how i got those nukes.

Just now, Space20 said:

ACCIDENTALLY

dont judge me

Mom (93 this September) fell and broke her hip a couple months ago, so I've been too wound up to play much. She seems to be recovering better, now, so I've been unwinding enough to play again.

When Visiting the Mun, remember that if you find two arches, there will be snacks!
AS-45_zpsgwamwg73.jpg

A VTOL plane that I can reliably land safely, about half the time. :wink:
AS-66_zpslanuikgz.jpg

P-38 homage. I have some Allison-looking engines that I tried first, but it was a slug in the air with them. I switched to the "Kraken" engine and performance was very much improved.
AS-60_zpszwcvp0ew.jpg

Bristol Beaufighter homage. Any tips on how to make it look more like its inspiration will be gratefully entertained.
AS-57_zpsretzznba.jpg

NOT a DC-3 homage, but fun to fly.
AS-47_zps8ll7qxp8.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/31AUG2016

Okay, ill tell the truth. i set off a nuclear bomb drop test and the test plane exploded along with its crew. i also accidentally destroyed the KSC.

And then i attempted to mount some lasers onto a battle ship.

Things collided.

1 hour ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Mom (93 this September) fell and broke her hip a couple months ago, so I've been too wound up to play much. She seems to be recovering better, now, so I've been unwinding enough to play again.

When Visiting the Mun, remember that if you find two arches, there will be snacks!.....

Sorry to hear (about your mom). Been there. Rough road, especially playing the caregiver. Best wishes to you both.

The Mun; I've been to both arches, just recently. So, like, where are these snacks you speak of??? Fortunately for me, I had a bag of jellybeans handy to celebrate with.

More Mun madness:
I put several landers up on Mun today, one of which unfortunately I miscalculated my landing, choosing an area with too steep a slope. The resulting crash killed the pilot (:blush:). One of the science experiments, a Goo container, fell through the ground and continued to 'travel'. Some really weird behavior here. The container fell to the center of Mun, and then rose back up to the surface... only to fall back to the center, and then rise back to the surface. Etc, etc, etc. I set Alt-Timewarp at maximum and sat there and watched as the container repeatedly fell and rose in that manner. It's doing it still (the program is running in background). I can't switch out because of the "while moving across surface" shtick, so I'm stuck. I'll have to terminate the program to stop it. Can't wait to see what the log file says about this one. :mellow:

2 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

When Visiting the Mun, remember that if you find two arches, there will be snacks!

Lies, you must find all three arches, then a Mun-mouse with a green top hat will show up with a pot of potato and cheese.

Sorry about your mum, glad to know she's on the mend :)

21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

What if you find the Golden Arches? 

The Mun-mouse brings you a delighted meal.

20 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'll take a fish sandwich, thank you. Yum.

...and a chocolate milk shake.

Better than a fish taco and a lion bar...?

Edited by eddiew

Continued my mission in the nuclear lander I copied off Scott Manley. Last time we saw him, Bill had successfully flown from Kerbin and landed on Pol. Next, he sets his sights for another target - Bop. Using Mechjeb's advanced transfer doodad made it easy to get an intercept.

51Vpa8s.png

I was aiming for the middle of a big white splotch, pretty much the closest thing to an interesting surface feature on the moon.

59OTmEI.png

And he landed! Where should he go off to next? He's still got 4080 m/s in the outer tanks (and another 2662 in the centre one to get home). I was thinking of attempting Gilly. Is that a foolish idea?

oEPBkEd.png

Edited by moogoob