What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@StickyScissors Might as well throw this up then: https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/RAPTOR-SSTO  It's my first share - first time in 1200 hours I was so stoked with a craft I wanted to share it

RATO-style SRBs on the belly?  I could see that adding a lot of payload - though I've found it can lift anything that fits in the Mk2 cargo bay.  Throw up some pics if you get the RATO to work!

Edited by fourfa

Did a crew rotation and resupply. Mun Station One and Enterprise Station are now both sufficiently crewed. Enterprise Station now has sufficient supplies for multiple Minmus landings. Both are churning out Science at a rate of about 7/day. 

Next up:

• Designing a more efficient Mun lander base/light orbital tug, using the new tech I've acquired, and sending that up to Mun Station One along with resupply.
  • Completing work on my "Ultraleggera" autonomous rover concept and deciding if it's a go/no-go. It is rather fragile, so I might want to go with just a "Leggera." On the other hand, it is very light...
  • Seeing if I can make my "Rolling Log" rover concept work. This is an ultra-light wheelless rover powered by a reaction wheel only. So far it has been too fragile for use off the launchpad; it tears itself up once past 10 m/s, which it hits rather too easily. Getting solar panels onto it will also be tricky.
  • Planning for a major Duna mission. The goal is to send up a fully equipped and crewed space station, with at least one Duna lander/rover combo, and one reusable Ike lander with sufficient supplies for multiple landings.

My Jool exploration craft is coming to the end of its stay in the Jool system. Most of its time was spent exploring Laythe, which is a very interesting place to land on - On the Mun I don't get to pick my landing site by gliding around! It's also an interesting place drive around on, the view from some of the dune peaks is great, it's just a pity that it takes such an effort to get a ship out there :( . The ship is currently in orbit of Pol - the lander can take advantage of that moon's low gravity to conduct a mining operation. One more landing should provide enough ore to finish refuelling the mothership. I'm looking forward to bring this crew home, it's been a very long journey for them!

Sarnusulose continues to be an exceptional craft. Unfortunately it's not equipped to attempt a landing on Tekto, and the orbital shots are kind of monotonous ^^;

6gsPNuL.jpg

Having mapped 4/5 moons, mission control sent Sarnusulose into a wide eccentric orbit for a magnetic survey contract. With 1000m/s left in the tank, it isn't certain as to whether it will be able to insert into a Slate orbit for a final mapping, but so far this mission has generated somewhere upwards of 1500 science (at 40% returns) and over 2 million roots from world firsts, so nobody will complain either way.

@Galileo O_O!!!

Bsk1xzF.jpg

The Missionary Outpost has served its final role and made available the "White Base" / Muna Industria and the 8-seater Moonbus. The base itself foregoes inline tankage for fuel to save mass and part count (however it does have a place for Monoprop, Xenon and Enriched Uranium for the Moonbus and Xenon Koaster(s) to come, and a docking port in the hab area, on which I got the saucer to sit). Rather than build a dedicated launchpad and pipe it up, I've learned to use directional stakes and plotted a line with two of them such that the next craft will spawn with the correct orientation and sufficient safe distance from the base. Since new crafts are going to spawn without fuel, in comes Graveheart. He's not supposed to hold a lot of fuel, just enough to power his own RCS and move. His design needs updating as a few expected issues have arisen in this trial run.

I'm going to post a video of this later.... Shoulda made that Ore tank white too but Modular Octo-Girders are so functional now. :)

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Finally worked up the bottle to make a ship with Near Future components! This meant a lot of reading of statistics and pondering things like reactor lifetimes. In the end, I realised that even with the fuel load at its lowest setting, there should be over 100 days worth of power, which would do fine for an excursion around Kerbin's SoI.

Fortunately. Anomaly Surveyor had been taunting me with rock arches and the crashed UFO, so I put together a thing with enough engines to give it 2.5 TWR on Mun, then enough reactors to power them. KR&D helped here, because that pod is about a quarter ton lighter than stock, although pretty much all the other components are untouched.

8fMHaMx.jpg

Four landings, and a controlled return that rendezvoused with a station in LKO to leave the science for processing. ~120k roots on the pad, 44k returns home, and a total reward of around 650k. Hard to grumble about that :) 

With 8km/s, Munbunny could technically take a kerbal out to explore a Joolean moon, and it's light weight meant that even the smallest 2.5m tank gave the chemical transfer stage 2500m/s... but I don't really like the idea of sending solo kerbals off on multi-year missions, somehow. Which means I'm going to need bigger engines for a bigger ship... or a lot of investment with KR&D to get the existing ones to higher thrust.

Did you know that, if a radial RCS tank manages to detach from an impact without exploding, it rolls away like a wheel in a bad action movie!?

It's true.  Only the round part seems to touch.

...incidentally, I attempted another night landing...

Managed to replicate the blue energy flash from my previously mentioned truck explosion.2016-09-02%2011-29-01.png Somehow it made the runway go dark.

Also peculiar, but not as surprising, was the cubic smoke effects afterwards. 2016-09-02%2011-29-21.png

Unrelated to this I've been working on a ground attack aircraft.

2016-09-01%2018-13-24.pngI've been debating with myself as to whether to move the wings down. This would allow me to place more equipment immediately above the wing roots where it would be shielded from ground fire, and perhaps even remove some of the armor now directly above the wing, thus making it lighter.  On the other hand, if I keep them where they are, they can remain attached to the heavily shielded back spine, giving them the least possible chance of getting knocked off by a well-placed shot*. Ah! Decisions! Decisions!

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
*I think I must have typed shot with an i bcc it said "excrements"

Not so much in ksp more real life!

my girlfriend gave me my birthday present early as it will involve time away, we're driving over to Leicester in October to visit the UK national space centre! So excited! I have promised to take her to Houston at some point though! 

52 minutes ago, PointySideUp said:

I performed a few landings and assembled a @Rune Base in a Box on a nice flat, ore rich spot in the Highlands of Duna.  The base completes phase 1 of infrastructure building in orbit and the surface of both Duna and Ike.

Small album: https://imgur.com/a/KXEy4

Awesome to see the capability confirmed. And quite the unconventional deployment! You do know you have powerful ventral engines to VTOL, right? Plus, a probe core positioned so it gives you the right control attitude to VTOL rocket-style (tough I would do more of a rocket-assisted glide in Duna myself). Still, awesome in any case!

Rune. Working on new boost options for the box, BTW.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

And quite the unconventional deployment!

My first landing with the refining modules was much more conventional, using the VTOL landing engines.  I decided to try the unconventional arrangements after realizing not everything would fit in the Orca's bays upon return to orbit.  It worked out OK, but the Orca was pretty low on dV after landing. :)