What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.2.1) Yesterday I checked out the Kerbal Dakar 2017 challenge. It sounded interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go on the 1.2.1 build I've got on my laptop. I spent most of the day designing, testing and ultimately scrapping a new car design in favor of the tried and tested Hellhound 7 rover; just slapped on a pair of Junos and did a test run out to Mt. Killakerbal with the intention of driving up to the peak. Blew both tires on the left-hand side off the rover just as I reached the base of the mountain, so I was kinda bummed about that. Still, making it 45 kilometers at 60 m/s is pretty fair accomplishment and I'm sure the actual run will be just as exciting. I did intend to get started with an actual run but had issues with the save file, which I'll rectify by updating the KSP build in question to 1.2.2 later today.

1.2.1 looks pretty awesome - my son in particular liked the new loading art of a smiling Jeb in front of an atomic mushroom cloud. Might have to go download the developer build of FAR and get on with it already...

(1.1.3, FAR to go) With most of the day spent working on Kerbal Dakar, I didn't get a whole lot done in my main save other than begin redesigns for Duna, and in three cases I launched hardware for the mission (puts me at 4/15 launches finished). I had to tweak the design of the Fireball 7a so it would have sufficient fuel for the transfer, which I did and then I launched Graphie in the redesigned craft to LKO. Next up was a tweak to the design of the Nostromo 7 ore hauler, again for more fuel and in this case so the craft could affect a successful landing. Tweaks were completed and one was launched to LKO. I should be able to launch a normal Nostromo for the craft headed to operate on Ike. Last thing that occurred was the launch of a Hellhound 7 rover; I didn't really have a good analysis of the craft design ahead of time. KER insists it should make it; me, I have my doubts. I may be using the transfer stage as a primary landing engine as well when the time comes, and I may still redesign the craft just on principle. 

The press corps and customer relations department at KSC has been on vacation for a couple weeks and therefore no news has been released during that time, even though a few missions were run.  They are all back at the office now though, and have made public the following news...

The first of three missions in the recent days was to design and use the smallest and cheapest autonomous recovery vehicle, one that could get into orbit, dock with Kerbin Stayshun, and return up to two kerbals back to the ground.  After a few variations the engineers and designers came up with the following ship, and a mission was run to return the newest recruit who had been loitering around Minmus until recently recovered to the station.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-29%20at%209.09.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-29%20at%209.48.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-29%20at%209.58.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-29%20at%209.59.4

Next up was a contract to place a science station in solar orbit, and the budget for this project was sufficiently large that some extraneous options were included.  The contract requirements were simple enough, a station that included a science module and space for 5 souls.  The team created a ship that includes a deep space probe that could be launched for future missions, and a simple vehicle that could return the crew back home leaving the station core in place.  The ship along with two scientists made it into orbit quite nicely.  Kerbin Stayshun, at that time, was home to 4 pilots and some science gathered on and around Minmus, so KSP Directorate thought that taking that science into solar orbit and performing experiments there might prove to be beneficial.  So, after several furious games of paper-rock-scissors the chosen pilot hopped aboard the bus docked there and made his way to Spayce Stayshun.  After climbing aboard and delivering the Minmus data, the crew plotted their course and fired up the engines for the transfer burn.  Their course will take them quite close to Eve, and when the time comes they have the option to travel there, though that is not currently part of the mission specs.

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.39.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.41.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.44.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.46.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%202.12.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%202.34.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%202.37.2

The last of the three holiday missions was to place a probe into a specific solar orbit.  Not the easiest orbital parameters, apoapsis is as far out as Eve, periapsis as far out as Dres, and an 11 degree inclination to boot.  The positions of the desired orbit and Kerbin were such that launching immediately made the most sense, so once again the engineers got out their pencils and got to work.  They thought that this would be a grand opportunity to test out the science team's newest invention: super large solar panels.  The satellite was launched successfully, and after circularizing orbit the ship performed its transfer burn to the desired destination point.  There is now about 180 days until the ship needs to do a burn that will give it the desried inclination, then about another 180 days until the burn to raise apoapsis.  There should be enough fuel to fulfil the mission, but the team isn't entirely sure as someone hid all the sliderules and abacuses...

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.54.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%201.57.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%202.02.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%202.16.3

Edited by justidutch

Can't do pics atm as uploading somthing non-KSP related to youtube but spent today doing a mun tourist flight, then brought the science mission back because i hadn't put enough batteries or solar on it, docked a new battery+panels steup to the docking port, and brought the crew home, couldn't transfer the science data though, ended up building a gold probe core design to go get that. Didn't realise it acted as an experiment storage module so the next Experiment Golden Retriever will go on a diet. Got to send a tanker up to refuel the mun mission then send her back out to mun.

C7 S6 (A Munar-impact probe built by C7. Launched by a C7 SatLauncher 1 rocket and impacted the Mun on a flyby trajectory.): Success

SP-1 F4 (After the failure of the previous mission to reach space due to the heavy additions, it was redesigned with a smaller battery and a solar panel. The RTG and the docking port was ditched in favor for the upcoming SP-2. It reached space and landed almost successfully.): Partial Success

Laythe TM-1 (The first crewed mission of the Laythe TM. The monopropellant tank was fixed and more fuel in the second stage of the Duna A rocket was added, but it did not help as it only counter-balanced the weight of the fixed monoprop tank. It reached Mun orbit successfully with its crew of 3 and docked to MunLab 1. They stayed there for 5 days to test the usability of the station, its maneuverability, and inspected it for any needed fixes. They got back to Kerbin successfully.): Success

SP-1 F5 (Another flight of the SP-1 to try to set a new distance record and to land successfully. It landed in the water and was destroyed on impact.): Partial failure

C7 S7 (A mission to attempt to land on the Mun. To get the heavy lander to the Mun, a new booster was developed called C7 SatLauncher 2. The launch was wobbly until the first part of the boosters were jettisoned. It started tumbling end over end but was eventually corrected, but it used of most of the fuel in the main stages to do so. The second stage was left for the mission. It failed to even reach orbit. The lander was jettisoned, went through a small reentry, and attempted to land safely in the water. Due to the sudden acceleration every time the engine was shut off, the only thing that was available to be recovered was the probe core, its solar panels, its batteries, the SAS module, and the communications antenna. A retry with just the C7 SatLauncher 1 will be coming in the future.): Failure

Next planned mission: STS 11 (A mission to deliver Truss C to KerbinLab 2)

CzhZWya.png

Laythe TM-1 and MunLab 1 after undocking

7lmRNK5.png

Laythe TM-1 reentry at dawn

oS6sauT.png

SP-1 F4 in space

1BQcDaJ.png

Shortly after apoapsis

I started work on my next big project (it seems like I'm doing one a day nowadays), a B-52 Stratorfortress. Rather than use a Mk3 spaceplane cockpit, I designed my own. It'll probably be revised, but I think it looks OK as is.

Pe4ApVj.png

Image result for b-52

For comparison. It could be a bit less rounded and more slopey. On the other hand, I now have a really good DC-3 cockpit...

Considering my Duna crew is going home in a couple days, I decided to sacrifice a dinghy to check just what anomaly is on Ike.

Yep, it's a randolith. I didn't quite want to crash the dinghy, but landing at night, with only limited controls, on something as dark as Ike is rather hard... and, uh, I think I aimed at the randolith a little too precisely using instruments and my suicide burn was off by about its height...

ZpZsE3a.png

hLG4ESW.png

Edited by Sharpy

...and then, I tested how my patch for larger asteroids work.

Well. It... works. Definitively. Works. That's my story.

This one is a Class D.

h6XlwvL.png

The two little sparks at the top? Two rhino engines at full power. Not making a squat of a difference.

Another day at ASES MOS 1 - this time an ASES SP2 XMj-a has docked to the station during its maiden flight after testing RCS maneuverability of the craft. If you look very careful, you will see the remains of one Gigantor solar array at the side of the storage tank the craft is docked to. Don't ask what happend, but this one will be rapaired soon by utilizing a proper KIS/KAS equipped shuttle delivering spare parts.

20170106084133-41ad2d6a-la.png

Sent my Eve Advanced Operations Reconocense Satellite (EAORS [ahead of the actual first mapping satellite due to transfer windows {:/}]) to help enhance in-orbit mapping, science, communications and possible (however unlikely) future ground missions.

I spent about 6 hours learning today, mostly how best to use mech Jeb. 

I got into both mun and minmus orbital path but I couldn't get to minmus, at the time I was trying I had no idea how to get mechjeb to do those H transfers so I'd just get out there and cry as I was out of fuel and moving as fast as minmus.

Eventually I went to sandbox for practice with stock munlander and learned how to transfer orbits and use autolanding... Easy landing, Jeb did it for me, I got out and planted my flag, boarded again and promptly toppled the ship by picking the wrong MJ option.. it laid sideways and I tried to rocket away but I sploded.

So, with a little confidence I went back in career, and spent the rest of the night "learning" (from failure)..

Launching to rendezvous led to me crashing poor Val into the mun..

Decided instead to attain 100k orbit and then h transfer to mun. Worked well enough. 

Landing? Autolanding wasn't really working I'm guessing mech Jeb needs some upgrades in my career save still. 

So I try to land on the mun manually for.. I have no idea how long, I keep finding myself on the Darkside and get caught in a crater, touching down even slowly just makes me roll down mun crater, building velocity and eventually that crashes my pod even though I touched the ground gingerly.

So then I realized it was 5 am and restarted my flight, put Val into orbit and just saved the game. Something to continue when I wake up :)

3 minutes ago, Slizarus said:

I spent about 6 hours learning today, mostly how best to use mech Jeb. 

I got into both mun and minmus orbital path but I couldn't get to minmus, at the time I was trying I had no idea how to get mechjeb to do those H transfers so I'd just get out there and cry as I was out of fuel and moving as fast as minmus.

Eventually I went to sandbox for practice with stock munlander and learned how to transfer orbits and use autolanding... Easy landing, Jeb did it for me, I got out and planted my flag, boarded again and promptly toppled the ship by picking the wrong MJ option.. it laid sideways and I tried to rocket away but I sploded.

So, with a little confidence I went back in career, and spent the rest of the night "learning" (from failure)..

Launching to rendezvous led to me crashing poor Val into the mun..

Decided instead to attain 100k orbit and then h transfer to mun. Worked well enough. 

Landing? Autolanding wasn't really working I'm guessing mech Jeb needs some upgrades in my career save still. 

So I try to land on the mun manually for.. I have no idea how long, I keep finding myself on the Darkside and get caught in a crater, touching down even slowly just makes me roll down mun crater, building velocity and eventually that crashes my pod even though I touched the ground gingerly.

So then I realized it was 5 am and restarted my flight, put Val into orbit and just saved the game. Something to continue when I wake up :)

Wait, MechJeb is updated to 1.2? *rapidly/furiously clicks download button*

1 hour ago, Slizarus said:

Yup :) find the developer's download site in the comments on the curse page, that's where I found the latest version

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Wait, MechJeb is updated to 1.2? *rapidly/furiously clicks download button*

its also available on CKAN

20170106162631_1_zpsfjvkdsnu.jpg

To the soundtrack of Battlefield 4, (main theme) I lifted off from the runway armed with 4 guided rockets and 2 fuel pods destined for the south pole. There'll be a reckoning once Jeb gets there.

#Armedtotheteeth

Edited by TimePeriod