What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made and flew some planes.

ebRcl3l.png

P-80 Shooting Star, F-4 Phantom, X-15, P-59 Airacomet.

I started a collab with one of my friends where I made a list of every U.S. jet fighter, bomber, dedicated cargo, trainer, and attack airplane ever, and we've begun working through it. Hopefully we'll have each of the 82 craft replicated and uploaded to KerbalX before any more enter service.

Our KerbalX pages: https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation  https://kerbalx.com/servo

6 hours ago, GDJ said:

Stop using your phone. That's how the government can track you easier.

No worries, I've already got my tinfoil hat on. I'll smash my phone... *CRACK* . And internet off in 3, 2, 1-- just kidding:D

What I did do today is brainstorm some ideas for my new supersonic cargo transport, as well as design a Polar rover/plane based off this oldish Lego set:

Spoiler

images_1.jpg

images_2.jpg

Hopefully it turns out alright...

Second part has arrived, and--

Asymmetrical.png

why is it missing landing gear on one side

*sigh*

It's okay. I'll just send a lander and attach new landing gear using KAS

Woo.png

Wait...

Woohoo.png

Oh boy. Good thing I brought a rover...

Edited by Brownhair2

Decided to do another Mun landing mission, but this time with some more science gear on the lander, including a mystery goo containment unit, an accelerometer, a PresMat Barometer and a fuel cell. My previous Mun missions only had a thermometer.

LIFTOFF!

TPAeYDJ.png

Third stage is separated, firing second stage.

gPX10hw.png

Escape tower cleared and second stage separated, firing third stage.

jMFDkeq.png

Main engine cutoff and we are now at low Kerbin orbit. Just one orbit later and we fire our third stage engine a again to get our encounter with the Mun.

C8zkv0i.png

Third stage depleted, we separate our fairings for docking.

nBHO1Ml.png

Ld4kFAh.png

Docking completed, and we then discard that now useless third stage facing prograde so it can crash on the Mun’s surface.

RG9L2hv.png

Extending the solar panels and antenna. With this picture, it kind of looks like the spacecraft is as big as the planet.

xCXzNq1.png

Just like the real Apollo missions, we then “roll” the spacecraft continuously so that the heat can be evened out. I think the Apollo astronauts joked about this by calling it a “barbecue roll”. Not that it matters in KSP, but I like to pretend.

gi19bI2.png

Orbit around the Mun completed. Now this might be a good desktop background.

hRtPDio.png

But what’s this? It looks like we found something unusual on the surface… Let’s land on it!

sBeZXks.png

I had to time my orbit just right for this landing to be successful. It was actually extremely tricky to do this, even luck was involved. Here we have the lander looking back at the spacecraft.

Ef4rr0U.png

081Xw5c.png

Attempting to land on or near the arch. Here it is closing in!

y27q8zC.png

Landed! :)

K4SbNxD.png

That's right! Arch landing successful! I actually ended up landing on top of the arch, woohoo! :D Way better than climbing the tallest mountain on Kerbin! Doing this was extremely difficult, to be honest, but it is possible! 

98uVug5.png

There are those daredevil Kerbals with their lander on the arch.

gthp4g2.png

N1bUxTK.png

Sw0j6Pl.png

leIIKZ1.png

Now time to leave. Goodbye, oh mysterious arch...

rEbKMO7.png

Closing in on the spacecraft...

r2dKs9w.png

8gA1Bqf.png

Re-docking complete. Transferring the 2 kerbals from the lander to the spacecraft.

6cDFqdl.png

Now leaving the lander ascent stage.

kjgcZ7P.png

Returning back to Kerbin.

OUWc2r8.png

tpmKZNt.png

lVJmd3i.png

And yet another successful Mun landing! :D

XRtIoCt.png

56 minutes ago, MR.Mac said:

-snip-

Wow! Awesome job on the mission. Was it chance that the Mün arch was there, or were you aiming to land on it in the first place? Everytime I've tried to land on it, I slip off and with SAS still pointing retrograde, panic and wonder why I even bothered in the first place. Also, do you mind if I borrow the design of your lander? It looks way cool.

After many hours of pondering and trying and failing and pondering and trying some more... I am content that 3.2x does not kill utility spaceplanes. Even with stock parts, and even in mk2 format.

2FSRwys.jpg

It's not a big cargo, to be sure, but you can make a contract-satellite for under 2.25 tons so I'm calling it a success :) 

I don't know for sure whether the sandwich wings are actually necessary. Each one contains 120 units of LF, so it's purely a matter of lift, and there should be a lot of that going on from the mk2 fuselage itself. The neck's a little longer than I would like for aesthetics, but that extra half-tank of oxidiser is pretty essential. Later in my upcoming career game, modded variants will let me shrink things down, but for now I'm glad to say that spaceplanes can be useful the moment rapiers are available :) 

1 hour ago, MR.Mac said:

Hey nice mission MrMac,

a question popped for my newbie mind. I do not get why you undocked and flipped the lander to face the spacecraft then redock ...Would you enligthen me?

35 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Wow! Awesome job on the mission. Was it chance that the Mün arch was there, or were you aiming to land on it in the first place? Everytime I've tried to land on it, I slip off and with SAS still pointing retrograde, panic and wonder why I even bothered in the first place. Also, do you mind if I borrow the design of your lander? It looks way cool.

Thanks!

I actually found the arch by random chance. I saw it and just thought "Hey, lets land on that!"

I landed close to it, but since I had enough fuel left on my descent stage, I decided to try to land right on top of it. I'll be honest with you, I didn't get it on the first try; it took me three "revert back to previous save" attempts to get the landing right.

Also, I would love to share my creation with you, but I don't know how to share craft files, I'm afraid. :( I've never shared my crafts before, and I don't know how to do it. I'll see if I can figure it out, though. I'll let you know once I find out. :)

13 minutes ago, Frag2000 said:

Hey nice mission MrMac,

a question popped for my newbie mind. I do not get why you undocked and flipped the lander to face the spacecraft then redock ...Would you enligthen me?

Thanks!

And that was during descent, I didn't undock and re-dock straight afterwards. That move actually inspired by a video I saw online, which I found someone doing something similar. You can find it here on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmZ62pxa2E

STS-11 (A mission to deliver Truss C to KerbinLab 2. It successfully rendezvoused after being launched into a particularly wonky orbit (96x136 km). The Truss was unloaded. It flew out of the payload bay fairly quickly, destroying the giant solar panel in the process. It was designated too costly and underwent the docking procedure anyways. After having some trouble, it eventually docked. It wasn't straight enough and went through two different dockings to try and line it up with Truss B. To save energy, Truss C only came with 1 radiator panel as Truss B had two. During the first EVA, the second radiator panel on Truss B was detached and the first one was relocated to match that of Truss C. The broken solar panel on Truss C was also removed. A second EVA detached a solar panel on the KerbinLab 2 module. The original plans called for the removal of both the solar panels, but the broken panel on Truss C meant that an additional solar panel was needed to provide energy. The shuttle deorbited and landed with less than 200 fuel units left.): Partial success

Anomaly Research Mission (ARM)-1 (A mission by plane to investigate an anomaly spotted in the desert by MapSat 3. A Novabird was taken there. It landed twice in different spots on its way to the anomaly. It made it to the anomaly which apparently was in a small mountain. The pilot started to notice a few smaller mountains poking out inside a small cavity. Upon closer inspection they were pyramids! A statue appeared to stand in front of the largest one. After a flyover and inspection, the plane landed just on the foot of the mountain.): Success

Next planned mission: Messenger 15 (A mission to prove the capability of multiple interplanetary flybys in one mission. This probe will flyby both the Mun and Minmus.)

9 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Cheers, knew about that but though from a comment i'd seen in another thread recently that it was outdated...

3 hours ago, MR.Mac said:

Decided to do another Mun landing mission, but this time with some more science gear on the lander, including a mystery goo containment unit, an accelerometer, a PresMat Barometer and a fuel cell. My previous Mun missions only had a thermometer.

LIFTOFF!

TPAeYDJ.png

Third stage is separated, firing second stage.

gPX10hw.png

Escape tower cleared and second stage separated, firing third stage.

jMFDkeq.png

Main engine cutoff and we are now at low Kerbin orbit. Just one orbit later and we fire our third stage engine a again to get our encounter with the Mun.

C8zkv0i.png

Third stage depleted, we separate our fairings for docking.

nBHO1Ml.png

Ld4kFAh.png

Docking completed, and we then discard that now useless third stage facing prograde so it can crash on the Mun’s surface.

RG9L2hv.png

Extending the solar panels and antenna. With this picture, it kind of looks like the spacecraft is as big as the planet.

xCXzNq1.png

Just like the real Apollo missions, we then “roll” the spacecraft continuously so that the heat can be evened out. I think the Apollo astronauts joked about this by calling it a “barbecue roll”. Not that it matters in KSP, but I like to pretend.

gi19bI2.png

Orbit around the Mun completed. Now this might be a good desktop background.

hRtPDio.png

But what’s this? It looks like we found something unusual on the surface… Let’s land on it!

sBeZXks.png

I had to time my orbit just right for this landing to be successful. It was actually extremely tricky to do this, even luck was involved. Here we have the lander looking back at the spacecraft.

Ef4rr0U.png

081Xw5c.png

Attempting to land on or near the arch. Here it is closing in!

y27q8zC.png

Landed! :)

K4SbNxD.png

That's right! Arch landing successful! I actually ended up landing on top of the arch, woohoo! :D Way better than climbing the tallest mountain on Kerbin! Doing this was extremely difficult, to be honest, but it is possible! 

98uVug5.png

There are those daredevil Kerbals with their lander on the arch.

gthp4g2.png

N1bUxTK.png

Sw0j6Pl.png

leIIKZ1.png

Now time to leave. Goodbye, oh mysterious arch...

rEbKMO7.png

Closing in on the spacecraft...

r2dKs9w.png

8gA1Bqf.png

Re-docking complete. Transferring the 2 kerbals from the lander to the spacecraft.

6cDFqdl.png

Now leaving the lander ascent stage.

kjgcZ7P.png

Returning back to Kerbin.

OUWc2r8.png

tpmKZNt.png

lVJmd3i.png

XRtIoCt.png

Nicely done.

1 hour ago, MR.Mac said:

Thanks!

I actually found the arch by random chance. I saw it and just thought "Hey, lets land on that!"

I landed close to it, but since I had enough fuel left on my descent stage, I decided to try to land right on top of it. I'll be honest with you, I didn't get it on the first try; it took me three "revert back to previous save" attempts to get the landing right.

Also, I would love to share my creation with you, but I don't know how to share craft files, I'm afraid. :( I've never shared my crafts before, and I don't know how to do it. I'll see if I can figure it out, though. I'll let you know once I find out. :)

Thanks!

And that was during descent, I didn't undock and re-dock straight afterwards. That move actually inspired by a video I saw online, which I found someone doing something similar. You can find it here on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmZ62pxa2E

Go to your KSP instal location, then go into the folder marked saves, then career, then find the folder with the same name as your career, then vehichles, then VAB, then find the craft name you just lanched, then upload that somwhere.

8 minutes ago, Carl said:

Cheers, knew about that but though from a comment i'd seen in another thread recently that it was outdated...

Hi.

Not sure about being outdated in some manner or not (Maybe atmospheric entry or climb has changes some numbers here or there but gravity and distance are all the same no?).

But anyway I refer to it all the time and it seems right on the money to me.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

After several weeks of no KSP (!), I finally went to the moon...

KSi5iQH.png

I haven't done docking yet in RSS, and the state of my launch vehicles is that I would probably have to loft an Apollo-style system in two launches, so I decided to go small with a one-man direct-ascent lander.

0iQb46o.png

Earthrise over Montes Rook.

jIrihSq.png

The inner and outer mountain rings of Montes Rook circle around the impact basin of Mare Orientale on the south-western limb of the moon.

eGTfFAB.png

Lacus Veris is one of several small dark basalt maria between the rings of Montes Rook, northeast of Mare Orientale.  That's my landing spot.

PSsL0dI.png

r3oCnmm.png

I'll land on the next pass.

zMYG9qB.png

B7jCSKe.png

DhWHNgC.png

BMCJ1Pq.png

The landing zone comes into view.

wQgSrev.png

0QIZDZs.png

I'm making a high, steep approach because of the mountain peaks just beyond the mare.

b4dYL06.png

VagyCeV.png

Unfortunately I'm still going too fast and have to land long.  It's going to be close!

n47QbZq.png

rtLricw.png

That was scary close.

9JTiV31.png

bzat6H4.png

87IfieB.png

n79wfoZ.png

I have to ascend vertically for a long way before I can turn over.

KPssiFS.png

Q7aabxV.png

Shedding the drop-tanks.

Zm1JtRT.png

zWKBeMA.png

Earth-bound, heading home.

Edited by RoboRay

The Buzzard crew took the now traditional long way home, visiting the old KSC. Where for some reason the signal was coming from the middle of a field.

screenshot112_zpshxlv4kx0.png

Unable to find a tiny dish they set off for the reported location of another anomaly. Arriving as darkness fell they were able to tick the pyramids off the to do list.

screenshot113_zpsfgx6qsd5.png

The slight overprovision of battery capacity allowed them to return to KSC in darkness trusting in their terrain scanner to warn of sticky up bits.

Fed and watered Val tried out the 4.1 and 4.2 versions including rolling take offs.

screenshot114_zpsswrdwuru.png

And barrel rolls.

screenshot115_zpshvyjsnwk.png

All tray tables and seat backs were in the upright and locked position. Overall Val likes the upgrades although pitch authority is reported as "lively".

Oberth Station's construction is going well. 6 modules so far have been launched. 5 Have been docked to the core. 3 have a custom interior. I have also started a mission log recently.

(Note Hab 1, 2, 3, ect. do not apply to the order in which they are launched, they are just numbered so I can tell one from another.)

Spoiler

Mission I
Launcher: Medium lifter
Payload: Oberth station hab 1
Year: 15
Day: 41
No crew
Mission outcome: Success

Mission 2
Payload: Oberth Station hab 2
Day: 41
No crew

Mission 3
Payload: Oberth Station hab 3
Day: 42

no crew

And here is the station so far.

Spoiler

jpsGKKF.png

3/6 of the modules were taken up by the rocket, "Medium Lifter". Yes I am not very good with names and will probably rename that later.

Spoiler

K8StdpU.png

And ending this with a fact about Oberth Station. It was originally supposed to resemble the ISS but then I went up with the wrong sized docking port a few many times. So it is no longer based off the ISS.

But that's it for now.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

So DER 5-2# attempt 2 of the duna decel burn is underway, i dropped my kerbol orbital velocity from 7.2kps to 3kps starting at 65 minutes to duna SOI and ending at 16 minutes from duna SOI, that raised my periapsis at duna from 500km to 5500km, and briefly during the burn produced an ike encounter, i'm now in duna SOI and burning to get a polar orbit. We'll see how it goes. Looking good so far though as it's a burn of just under 10k, which is well within the crafts ability to do in the time allotted. Now just gotta let her burn and document. Then write up time. Assuming "fun" does not unexpectedly occur.

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but love the content people upload, so I decided to post some stuff myself. In my early career save, I ferried some tourists (5 suspicious-looking kerbals) into LKO using a modded launcher (Using LBSI Rocket Factory). My pilot was Jeb, my most experienced (1 star) and most daring (Otherwise he would have just jumped with his parachute and let the tourists die). On reentry, I wasn't slowing down fast enough, and I had forgot to put engines on the descent stage. Every time, Jeb's command pod slammed into the ground killing him. The MK1 crew cabins holding the tourists bounced off the ground and high enough into the air that the parachutes deployed and the tourists floated to the ground, unharmed. But I wasn't going to let Jeb die that easily. So I loaded my last quicksave (my de-orbit burn just finished), and, forgetting that I could just transfer Jeb to the empty seat in the cabins, I got him on EVA and RSCed him over to the hatch into the cabin. In the proccess, Jeb bumped into the ship and it started to spin. So he had to catch up with the spinning hatch, attempting to match its speed. I finally got him into the pod, but, because he was no longer in the command pod, I couldn't control the ship. Good thing I armed the parachutes before exiting! The ship re-entered the atmosphere, and the pod, once again, slammed into the ground, the tourist capsules bounced up into the air, and Jeb, landed on a grassy hill 6km from the KSC. The tourists were returned safely, but they may need a new change of pants! Sorry I forgot to take pictures, I will upload some next time I post.

PS: NISSKEPCISM actually stands for: the National Irish Society of Stranding a Kerbal on Every Planet and Crashing Ships Into Moons. 

Attempted to launch my new full sized coreless stanford torus. It wobbled apart on the launchpad in just 3 seconds, and apparently broke the speed of light a great many times over....

Flight Achievements:

Total Mission Time:
	0Years,0Days,0Hours,0Mins,3Secs,
Highest Altitude Achieved:
	13,337,003,749m
Highest Speed Achieved:
	5,535,082,646m/s
Highest Speed Over Land:
	5,458,351,520m/s
Ground Distance Covered:
	218,338,004m
Most Gee Force Endured:
	50355.6G
Highest Temperature Reached:

Thats roughly... 18.5 times the speed of light... WITHOUT any warp speed mods. If only I could exploit that for a novelty thruster...

msiHnrAPb.png