What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, Enceos said:

Thank you, Jane! It was inspired by the X3 and Freelancer freighter ships. The name is a tribute to a freighter from EVE Online.

My favourite of these was always the Argon Lifter from X-BTF and X-Tension. The pods on the sides totally look like they should be VTOL engine mounts.

I still haven't designed a craft that looks like it, despite needing a horizontal dropship. Guess I know what I'll be doing in KSP today.

48628c553c.jpg

Downloaded STE, Chatterer, and Mechjeb.

Truss D (A retry of the original mission. Upon gravity turn, the rocket started to tip over too much, causing it to spiral out of control and crash.): Failure

Discovery 16 (A retry of Discovery 15. Successfully made it to Minmus, losing signal half-way through but got picked-up again by the Transit 13 orbiter and landers. Upon landing, it lost signal and crashed into a mountain. More Transits will be needed at Minmus.): Failure

Munotrod 2 (The second rover to land on the Mun. It was a test of a new tumble-technology. It was an octagon-shaped tube that rolled along the surface at a top speed of 61 meters per second until the RTGs were destroyed [on timewarp].): Partial success

Progress 2 (A mission to deliver supplies to KerbinLab 2.  Supplies contained two screwdrivers, a Ghetto Blaster, and an external EVA chair. Supplies returned to Kerbin [crashed into the ocean] contained on screwdriver and a guitar.): Success

ARM-3 (A mission to find the composition of the monolith at the KSC. A rover with a drill droved over the monolith, got 0.06 units of the ore, and returned it to the KSC.): Success

Next planned missions:

Laythe TM-2 (The first long-duration mission to MunLab 1 in orbit of the Mun.)

C7 S13 (C7 will return to space to deliver a ComSat and a lander to Minmus. All this in effort to put a Kerbal on Minmus before the KSP does in a sort-of Space Race.)

ri0HrPp.png

Laythe 4 repositioning to the lower docking port (Below the KerbinLab 3 module).

5azzxx0.png

KerbinLab 2 at sunset

BW6VqhP.png

MapSat 3 and the southern aurora

WyHNf9S.png

Discovery 16 launch

kbe5Ynn.png

Munotrod 2 Launch

OaM4n8T.png

Munotrod 2

k9izo9Y.png

Messenger 16 completing its burn at periapsis to Jool. As of now, its closest approach is over 1 billion meters and will get there in just under 3 years. Another burn(s) will make it get close enough to be captured into orbit by Laythe or Tylo.

53Oct6L.png

Progress 2 launch

IUaoxY0.png

Progress 2 unfurling its solar array

6EyG1rB.png

Burning to KerbinLab 2

SEympT2.png

Docked

oztfKE6.png

Undocking

gBNOKhz.png

After retrofire

oJhBbX4.png

About to land in the ocean

BJJtVTH.png

Drill Bot (ARM-3) on its way to the KSC monolith

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Okay, I HAAAAAVVVVEEEEE to know what the mod is for those propellers. (If you can, try to find it for 1.1.3.... pwease?)

It's the turboprop from Airplane plus. I am pretty sure the mod pack for 1.1.3 is still out there somewhere. I will say this, I do not like the fact they do not look like they spin very fast. I wish I could get them to rotate like real propellers instead of just random rotations.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

It's the turboprop from Airplane plus. I am pretty sure the mod pack for 1.1.3 is still out there somewhere. I will say this, I do not like the fact they do not look like they spin very fast. I wish I could get them to rotate like real propellers instead of just random rotations.

OH PRAISE THE KRAKEN IT'S AIRPLANE PLUS!!! I'm going to download that either today or sometime in the next week if all goes to plan. Thank you :D

Despite having concluded that it was getting important to go to space, mission control couldn't help but notice that their rather basic facilities were going to make the job somewhat challenging. Having been offered a pair of lucrative survey contracts over the ocean near the launch facility at Broken Arrow, they told the engineers to put their heads together and come up with something that could hit all the waypoints in a single trip - and ideally, do it faster than Canary II would have managed.

yVBfrqO.jpg

As tedious as a 1300km trip is at mach 2, the mission was classed a resounding success. Not only did Leo Kerman scoop up a jar of flavoursome saline solution for 9 science points, but the completed contracts pulled a comfortable profit of 150,000 roots, even accounting for the mysterious loss of the Condor's engines that had caused it to make an emergency landing *cough*

And yet, even though this jar of mostly water was the final ingredient that could be sourced upon kerbin, it was lacking a certain... je ne sais quoi. Despite a cupboard full of minerals, vials of water from the various lakes, and some sort of crawling invertebrates, the Council of Chefs felt that none of them were offering the taste sensation that everyone had been hoping for. Clearly, if they were to produce the best seaside rock, they were going to have to source ingredients from further afield - so far afield, in fact, that there were no fields there, for no kerbal farmer had ever walked that far without getting bored and coming back.

Fortunately, this conclusion coincided with having enough science data to unlock 2.5m rocketry, and a new industry was accidentally born when someone immediately offered a handsome sum of money to use it!

lgJN9uY.jpg

Edited by eddiew

2 hours ago, String Witch said:

My favourite of these was always the Argon Lifter from X-BTF and X-Tension. The pods on the sides totally look like they should be VTOL engine mounts.

48628c553c.jpg

I'm surprised you discovered the source of my inspiration :) High-five to my fellow X-universe captain!

Today saw the continuation of the Kerbal Science Station.

All the science equipment was added, along with the life support systems. Due to the weight, I had to split the food/recycling arm into two parts rather than add more rocket boosters. Two scientists, a medic, and an engineer came with the first half for the food arm. The final two scientists came with the second half and had to space walk the last couple of hundred metres.

Lining up and killing the relative velocity.

5ca612527906116.jpg

Separated payload to bring in on RCS thrusters.

cba82e527906121.jpg

That's enough for one day. Just the command arm to add and the last three Kerbals. I know it seems odd adding the command arm last, but these Kerbals are a bit weird like that. No one has told them we forgot to send up the escape pods yet. Probably best they don't know. 

48e286527906129.jpg

Today I brought back yet another wheel-related mod that has been MIA since 1.05....

JVZxqGM.png
(hint:  Its the landing gear....)

Should have the Adjustable Landing Gear (ALG) parts available as part of Kerbal Foundries a bit later today.  Most of the original feature-set should be available, though some features may have changed slightly.

17 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Today I brought back yet another wheel-related mod that has been MIA since 1.05....

JVZxqGM.png

Should have the Adjustable Landing Gear (ALG) parts available as part of Kerbal Foundries a bit later today.  Most of the original feature-set should be available, though some features may have changed slightly.

Congrats!   I will be looking forward to checking it out!  WIll it be your intention to fold it into Kerbal Foundries?  or will there be room for a separate ALG?  I don't want to duplicate effort...

Edited by Papa_Joe

22 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

JVZxqGM.png

Man, you are the guy! :D

Mining Minmus for all the science it's worth. I added some legs, a docking port, additional life support, and some different parachutes to the previous craft and turned it into a fantastic little biome hopper. It's supported in orbit by a fuel depot.

I took an earlier screenshot of doing this but discarded it in favor of this one; despite being mostly in the dark I noticed Kerbin and the Mun, and the sun hit the flag just right.

YavjLPB.png

Edited by regex

15 minutes ago, regex said:

Mining Minmus for all the science it's worth. I added some legs, a docking port, additional life support, and some different parachutes to the previous craft and turned it into a fantastic little biome hopper. It's supported in orbit by a fuel depot.

I took an earlier screenshot of doing this but discarded it in favor of this one; despite being mostly in the dark I noticed Kerbin and the Mun, and the sun hit the flag just right.

YavjLPB.png

This kerbals have to much smoke in the helmets, they can't even see through!

Edited by Climberfx

Never fails... you get a satellite into a good orbit and immediately some yob at a competing agency tries to go one better and loft a kerbal into orbit. Except they screw it up, and guess who has to deal with it? 

Most annoyingly, they screwed it up in such a way that they left their pilots skimming the upper atmosphere, meaning the rendezvouses had to be done at breakneck closing speeds less drag from the upper atmosphere start throwing the manoeuvres out of whack!

4jkCbZL.jpg

On the up side, the reward from the rescues tipped the bank balance in favour of upgrading the VAB, thus waving farewell to the awkward 50 part limit.

This being the case, engineering strapped an aggressive satellite onto the top of an even more aggressive booster, and shot it skywards. Hopefully no idjit is going to try to put kerbals here before they're ready...

ebf7bpe.jpg

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

JVZxqGM.png

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Remember how I said I built an Eve lander a while back?

Remember I said how I sent it to Eve?

Did you notice that I suddenly went silent about it?

Well, it's fine. The problem is I need to refuel it. And this is how much fuel I need:

Gilly_but_every_time_there_s_rocks_there_s_fuel.png

;.;

So, I finally figured out how to upload to imgur, after apparently having created an account for something that does not require one. I am an absolute genious. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I had plenty of time today, so I made a single launch base and decided to get it to Minmus. Did not want to have the poor Kerbals wait for years in orbit for a transfer window. I also have little experience with interplanetary trips and none with bases, so I thought I should launch it to Minmus as a form of test run. Launch and Minmus encounter went well.

I5nooqE.png

qm3v2zY.png

In order for the small drill to work a large mineral concentration is required. So I launched a small mapping probe together with the base inside the fairing. After having performed the Minmus capture with what was supposed to be the circularisation stage (shows again how overengineered this baby is) the probe was placed in orbit. And that was where the first issues emerged.

You see, I do not use the Probodobodyne QUBE thing that often, and when I use it, I place it on rovers, not probes. So I was surprised to find out it does not have any reaction wheels. And my probe has a huge scanner on one side so the CoM is offset from the CoT. So when I initiated the burn for polar orbit, the thing started to spin wildly. Fortunately, we have time warp, and that cancels rotation. Using this and some rough timing, the satellite was successfully deployed in a surprisingly good polar orbit.

OaKIETQ.png

With that done I decided to move on to the orbital assembly of the base. That proved to be extremely frustrating because my base sections were not equipped with RCS, and I only had a small orbital tug on one end to control a long and thin solar array. I think it took me the better part of an hour to get that thing docked. And if that weren't enough, I was unable to switch between linear and rotational RCS control because pressing the spacebar would make the base decouple from the sky crane!

When I had that done, the rest was more or less a smooth ride (NOTE TO SELF: Always check your base's CoM before launching it). Landing was done with one of the three NERVAs at 50% throttle to counter the heavy refinery and fuel storage at the one end. I was surprised how well that worked out, despite the fact that I had just a 8 minute window to improvise some means of stabilisation. Touchdown was uneventful, as was the ...retrieval of the sky crane (totally didn't ram that thing into the ground).

g7mlfSn.png

Apollo base sits nice and cozy on the mineral richest place on Minmus, the Great Equatorial Bassin. After testing numerous systems such as the antennae and the mining rig, the three man crew (Commander Barlyn Kerman, Engineer Aldnand Kerman, Scientist Jencee Kerman) posed for a photo in front of their new home.

With the base deployment successful, Wherner von Kerman shifted his attention to more interplanetary projects, namingly, the Hemera Exploration Vessel. The ship is undergoing final assembly and is scheduled for lauch in the coming days. It is equipped with a small RCS lander for a single adventurous pilot and an atmospheric "Deep Diver" probe for science.

Done in Sandbox mode of KSP 1.0.5. No mods used.

Edited by The Budgey Admiral