What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So I haven't posted in a couple of days. I kept meaning too but i suppose 1am isn't a great time to try writing a long summary of my Kerbaling for the day. 

So where i left off the other day i had Jeb stuck on the Mun cause I'm crap at flying XD 

So I built a new rescue ship one that could carry enough Kerbals. 

guueXts.jpg

this was intended to go there and get jeb and bring him home. Unfortunately for me i screwed up again and found this ship with not enough DV to actually return.... 

q6KYX7I.jpg

And with me having Autosaved with this thing short of fuel...  So i found myself having to build a rescue for the rescue ship....

I even had to walk Jeb about 4 km to the other ship... 

HXamhHv.jpg

After a couple of WIP's i created this monstrosity. SXHuYDI.jpgI think the HItch hiker's unit i used as a crew compartment is meant as a space station peice but oh well it worked. i put a nose cone on the top of it with a decoupler and a a 2.5m Thermal Shield to protect me for my kerbal re entry. lrtmJX9.jpg

I got it up and into a not bad orbit. 

Jeb and the others were really happy to see my probe ship rescue the rescue...

2n3ZxjR.jpgthis the resulted in a return to kerbin

OyTyvsU.jpg

They were all really happy to return and i even remembered to grab all that juice science. 

I made a Kerbin research plane that I'm really proud of:

eUdD0wg.png

It can fly easily all around Kerbin at Mach 2.7 and 23km altitude, probably the most efficient way I ever used a Panther. :)

It keeps that speed and altitude without corrections at 6.7° pitch and full afterburner (means 4x warp and no supervision during flight). It is also very manouverable at super- and subsonic speeds and can land at a reasonable speed (75 m/s with full tanks, 60 m/s empty).

Mk1 cargo bay holds all the science instruments I could fit into - including DMagic ones.

More pics in the spoiler

Spoiler

Testing efficiency at medium altitude - not so good actually

Ag4rEiA.png

Fairly aggressive KSC approach

jiFBUGn.png

Hg1F4OX.png

odDQvJm.png

lIQrfui.png

e64Y9Zu.png

t0QrCTb.png

Oc9gPXZ.png

1 hour ago, Flamingo said:

Launched a very small space station to get more science from experiments around Kerbin, and saved som astronauts stuck in orbit today. I also went to Minmus, but because of a lack of hab space, Jeb had to go back home before he could do anything.

You can, in fact, change name and classification even without any control. If you go to the tracking station and select your craft, you will just have to click the "I" button in the bottom left corner, and then double-click the name.

Ahhh thank you!

23 minutes ago, Hesp said:

I made a Kerbin research plane that I'm really proud of:

eUdD0wg.png

Reveal hidden contents

Testing efficiency at medium altitude - not so good actually

Ag4rEiA.png

Fairly aggressive KSC approach

jiFBUGn.png

Hg1F4OX.png

odDQvJm.png

lIQrfui.png

e64Y9Zu.png

t0QrCTb.png

Oc9gPXZ.png

That's a pretty nice looking plane. Procedural Wings?

It´s finally weekend, so it´s KSP time. Wohooo!

I launched a lot of rockets today, but first the sad part.

ziU7QtP.png

This is my old Beagle transfer station. The Beagles are the workhorse of my current game, and this station was the starting point of uncountable missions to Mun, Minmus or LKO. Sadly time left it´s marks on it. 2 solar cells broke off, a few docking ports are locked, the asteroid is almost out of ore, and the design went a little bit out of fashion anyway. And as I managed to get my claw on a really cool asteroid  lately, I decided to build 

Beagle Transfer Station 2

wgBEjpw.png

I think this one is a little bit more attractive to these posh tourists, and better equipped as well. :)

So this is what I´ve done today. It all was assembled in orbit by a lonely 2 star Kerbal pilot in his little workpod. I think Edan Kerman has earned himself to be in command of my next Duna Mission.

Speaking of Duna, since the Beagles and their Mun and Minmus Bases have proven their usefulness over and over again around Kerbin, I decided to station one at Duna as well. And that`s how I spent my last weekends sparetime in a nutshell.

5V5ncAw.png

It doesn´t rest on completely level terrain, but hey, the panorama is gorgeous.

Have fun folks, CU! :)

N1dGqql.jpg

I tested out a rover to attach to Altair. It worked quite well.

I also went looking for a good asteroid for the Asteroid Rendezvous part of the Doing It Constellation Style challenge, and I noticed this:

JvMsTn0.jpg

That is an asteroid with an aphelion of almost 40 terameters, and an orbital period of nearly 60 thousand years. For reference, I have Outer Planets installed. That tiny greenish dot that's just about visible right next to the sun is Jool, and the beige orbit that is the furthest planet away from the sun is Plock. The perihelion of this asteroid is about twice the distance from the sun as Plock's aphelion.

I've been continuing on my 1:1 Tomcat, and I've got the wings working 90% of the time. Flight is still really wacky, because before I rebalanced all the fuel tanks, it would flip around on takeoff. Hopefully this version will be a bit easier to fly. I don't even think six Panthers will be enough to make this 300 part behemoth break Mach 1.

5mj49jO.gif

But the wing positioning makes it all worth it...

Also finally, I designed some general purpose ships, and stock too except for an upscaled service bay and some IFS to help with dV.

The mothership is a good IPV candidate with some consideration for USI's habitation system and is never meant to be fully crewed. The lander is Mun/Ceti-capable with plenty dV to spend.

I finally, and surprisingly, was able to dock without getting frustrated or needing the docking aid at all. It practically only merely confirmed that my approach was near perfect. 

0V1oD0c.jpg

PssjdCv.jpg eCJFkys.jpg 

MwbOXU4.jpg cKcjMtq.jpg

On 15/2/2017 at 0:14 AM, Hesp said:

Found a B class asteroid with an orbit very suitable for capture (400km Pe, Ap right out of Kerbin SOI, almost polar inclination)... So I decided to launch the first asteroid mission of the career save :)

The capture ship is unmanned, basically a big tank with a 455s isp Lox/LH2 engine, RCS and reaction wheel.

Timed launch was nominal, after a couple of small corrections I matched planes and asteroid periapsis. Now I'll wait some days for a final periapse kick to reduce relative velocity at rendezvous.

Approach manouvers are planned to use 420m/s of deltaV, so depending on the asteroid mass (still unknown) I will have between 1830 and 716 m/s available for capture and orbit modification. Should be enough to obtain a stable equatorial orbit with Pe 500km and Ap lower than Mun SOI.

Reveal hidden contents

LEaLub3.png

LZEX58P.png

B2YmuLi.png

MEfy1aY.png

Mission update: Asteroid captured. It's on the upper limit of the B class (40 tons), so I had to plan carefully the burns to relocate it in equatorial orbit. Exploration will follow.

DVusETZ.png

pPhwSsf.png

All I did last night was let Jeb, Val, Bob and Bill take a test flight in the prebuilt Dynawing shuttle.  Like the NASA Space Shuttle, this ungainly beast is so far out of symmetry that it's unflyable during boost without SAS and RCS.  With those turned on, however, it's not too difficult to manage.  It makes orbit with its stock ballast (three FL-T800 tanks and a bunch of beams) in the cargo bay, though there isn't much dV left (and that only on the Puff engines) after a less than optimal ascent.  It handles very well with SAS and RCS enabled during reentry, but stalls without warning if you let the airspeed drop too much (didn't notice at exactly what speed, was too busy trying to hit the ocean in a survivable attitude, but it's below 150 m/s).

Overall,I doubt I'll ever do much with this design; in fact, I don't see much to be gained with this kind of spaceplane.  Then again, I was never a big fan of the NASA Shuttle; it seemed like it was both too big (for missions without a heavy payload) and too small (for anything that was going beyond LEO), and at no point was it ever cheaper than flying expendable boosters for the same missions.  If I ever install mods that will let me do so, I'd be interested in pursuing designs similar to the Delta Clipper -- roughly conical VTOL SSTO with enough body lift to do most of reentry with just RCS for attitude control, and also to give considerable crossrange maneuvering and landing point control before restarting the engines for a thrust-hover landing.  In fact, the flight profile was a lot like the Falcon 9 booster, except that the whole ship was to fly to orbit and return in one piece.