What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Conducted first simulations of the new interplanetary transfer vehicle...apparently four big reaction wheels are enough to keep the vessel dead straight under acceleration...

screenshot11.png

The final product will come with an included garage and a rover for free. Nonetheless, there will be a variety of options: The environmentally aware customer may purchase the "eco-blue" package which replaces the engines with Poodles and an additional three Ion engines, additionally the dangerous RTGs will be removed and replaced by solar panels... For the dynamically flying customers a bigger engine might be an option. Why dealing with 4m/s**2 if you could have a triple S3 KS 25x4 drive? Afraid of electro-smog? We'll remove the antennae for no extra charge...

2 hours ago, Alchemist said:

I think there is a suspicious dark speck (just a few pixels in size) in the upper part of the planet - something that may be in front of it not on the surface.

Yeah, the larger moon of Mars is not that large either

Spot on. Transiting the planet, upper-left corner below the dark regio. Even with the camera fully zoomed in, it looks tiny.

Today I started collecting the biomes of Jannah. Here is a picture in the area of the North Pole.

KCT7Scr.jpg

Then headed south. Here you can see the biome "Abyss"

f0QGosf.jpg

After that, I rode with the Rover some mischief. I could not leave it, you can make here so beautiful jumps. The F9 key was of course more in use.

grBYdDg.jpg

When I wanted to pick up the Rover, I found out how I can land very precisely on it. You only have to keep the target marker in zenith. Actually just as if you want to dock. This is only noticeable to me now, after 9 months of playing time.

vdoe31V.jpg

Greetings

Edit: Well, finally - something I've been looking for.

drAYbiC.jpg

Edited by astroheiko

Today I upgraded the Arrow-04 spaceplane tackling the issues of the first flight: added proper airbrakes and increased aerospike size from 0.75 to 0.8m. The increased thrust leads to a more efficient orbital insertion burn.

Now the plane is available also in Kerbal-rated version for space station crew rotation and early tourism missions.

TkEGSOc.png

Upcoming missions (vessels under construction right now):

- Mun rover field test @ KSC

- Minmus mining rig and orbital refinery launch

There is also a Dres transfer window upcoming in 70 days... Maybe I'll plan something

With the reactor fuel nearly exhausted, mission control decided to decommission Swiftbird I by crashing it into Icarus.

Z68DoyE.jpg

Then someone noticed it had a local TWR of 1.4 and an excess of fuel... waste not want not.

May try for another couple of biomes... that little argon thruster is weak, but it's still got over 3km/s in it!

Today I used a Hercules launcher I build earlier, it's I launcher that can lift 11tons to LEO (RSS). I constructed a mars probe which is waiting for the right transfer window right now. 

Spoiler

lRKswjT.jpg
Launched just after sunset

RUcFNSH.jpg
First stage separation.

dwJ4MGj.jpg

I've also build a new lifter that can lift 40 tons into orbit. I only need a name for it, but I think I'll just name it a Hercules heavy, since it has the same setup of engines/fuels and colors. The rocket is designed that the max. TWR is 2.5, so it's quite crew-friendly. 
This lifter is supposed to bring a manned craft into LEO where it can rendezvous with my early stages space station. This was still a test flight.

Spoiler

QnFn206.jpg
On the launchpad, just before countdown.

hvXxQZl.jpg
Little view of the 8 booster engines and 7 first stage engines. Just have a look at the doors in the tower in the background to see the massive scale of this thing.

lyoz73R.jpg
And all systems nominal. Sadly my rig has some problems with Microsoft Visual C++ lately (which I'm repairing right now, so the game crashed when I was separating the boosters :(  

Mods I use? I lot, just the whole RSS/RO setup and some bunch of other mods I like. All the fuel tanks are made with procedural parts.

Worked on improved version of my "space castle".

screenshot28.png

screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

screenshot31.png

screenshot33.png

screenshot34.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot36.png

screenshot37.png

Then played with landing lights on Minimus. Gotta try this on Duna.

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot7.png

14 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Working on another SSTO...

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: airplane

- Jett

This is freaking impressive!!!! I suck at landing planes and MechJeb does suck too at landing planes so I quit messing with planes but some of those builds are amazing.

Finally revised my interplanetary mission design to get it down small enough for two shuttle launches - the constraint of fitting inside the cargo bay is so much more limiting than the payload mass limit of the orbiter stack. Just need to do the math on whether it can actually get where its going...

V9hYQhz.jpg

I tried designing a turboshaft powered car. A lack of round, highly impact tolerant parts usable as wheels has caused problems.

2017-02-28%2021-20-47.png

I've also been continuing work on my general purpose heli. It is slowly improving in reliability. In plain configuration it has nearly perfect reliability in hover and low speed flight. Get it over 30m/s though and all bets are off. It's weird. I can have it held in a cruise by KOS going toward the island at 35m/s, and it will be fine for like 10 minutes, and then without any warning: *BANG* Something(s) (I suspect the lower turbine is the first part to go) inside the engine comes dislodged and hurls itself; through the side of the housing (usually resulting in all blowers becoming detached). In doing so it pulls the lower rotor out of alignment, completely shattering it, and partially or completely breaking the top rotor. Then of course the heli falls to the ground/sea.

Anyways, I also tried adding a hook with a toggleable lock to hang loads from. It seemed like a perfectly good idea, and even appeared to work fine during the beginning of a test.

2017-03-01%2020-48-46.png

However I've been left scratching my head as it seems to somehow massively compromise the reliability of the engine/rotor assembly. Even suspending a featherweight 0.5 ton load from the hook prevented me from flying it for it for much more than 2 minutes before it came tumbling from the sky.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Today's Kerbal experience was completing a contract that had been eluding me for some time. It was worth no money, and 40 prestige. I needed to barnstorm the R&D building in two spots, in one flight with a plane. This was probably my 30th attempt... more likely higher.

Using a bi-plane from the SAR pack, I kept my speed as low as possible. Since it has such high lift, I was able to keep in the air at just 25m/s. The key is to approach at the exact right angle. You don't want to be turning while you are diving. You will hit something unless you are very lucky or very good.

I went for the pedestrian walkway first, since it is much higher than the tunnel. However, it turns out that you get credit for the tunnel if you fly OVER it, not just through it. So, on my approach to the pedestrian walkway, it gave me credit for that, and then I dove and narrowly avoided hitting the ground. On the other side, I became so elated that I succeeded, that I accidentally stalled my plane! Fortunately, the bi-plane is lift crazy, and re-asserted itself once my nose was pointed down.

Finally, I made a safe landing in the grass beyond the R&D center. The contract says land anywhere!

Edited by Aloriel

Finished editing part 2 of my Ultimate Challenge series:

Hopefully, I'll be able to entertain you with one new video per day until I produce the whole series.
Feedbacks really appreciated. Like, really, I can usually take hard criticism; I'm looking more regarding the production value and less about the rocket and some of my suboptimal maneuvers. The filming has been completed, the rocket was scrapped, the actors (Jeb, Val, Bill, Bob, Scrooge) paid and dismissed, now I'm just editing what I got.

55 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, yes. :) I am finishing the Botany Module, and then need to learn how to make contracts. Once that's done, I can release the LDEF update to the wild. :)

Contracts sound fun...

Also, those LDEF parts are already some of my favourites. I'm sure I'll find some great uses for them (I might even postpone my next Constellation mission after Duna so I can have the LDEF parts for the Mun base). They're in the 1.875m diameter right?

(1.1.3) Haven't done a lot the last couple of days on account of busy at work and busy moving. Found some time to play on Tuesday, where I loaded engineer Phovie Kerman and tourist Thombree Kerman aboard the Spamcan 7 lander stationed at the Minmusport space station and send the two of them down to the Deepwater Horizon refinery on the surface. The Can tipped over on landing, so I had to drive the crane rover Lunkhead over to it to pick it up. I promptly drove it over to the Jiffy Lube 7 parts lander with Phovie assisting with the draining of the fuel from the Can to Lunkhead in order to make things a little easier on the rover. The Jiffy Lube had three out of four lander legs remaining after its earlier refit of the ore lander Lewis and Clark, and I decided the time had long past for the Spamcan to get a proper set of lander legs (would've also refitted it with the large SAS wheel from Jiffy Lube, but that had already gone to L&K). Engineer Barna Kerman, as the only Kerbal present with a screwdriver, had to pile out of Deepwater Horizon to conduct the refit. Attachment of the second lander leg was a little too close to the ground and launched the Can from the surface, causing it to land and tip over once more.

An operation to re-upright the Spamcan took place yesterday, and Barna took the time to attach the third and final lander leg to the Spamcan. Though it took some finagling, the Spamcan was uprighted, Barna passed her tools and command of Deepwater Horizon to Phovie as planned, planted a temporary flag and boarded the Spamcan, where Thombree had apparently been thoroughly enjoying being tossed around like a d20. The Spamcan then successfully returned to Minmusport, where it was refueled from the station's stores. Thombree and Barna boarded The Great Artiste and a group of four scientists boarded the Spamcan; they are scheduled for an excursion to the surface, which will hopefully happen later today. The plan is still for The Great Artiste to depart before the arrival of Strange Cargo, which will happen a little over four in-game hours from the last save point.

Hoping to increase my playing time in the near future - things are just insane at the moment...

Edited by capi3101
spacing got nuked at the last edit, corrected.