What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just transferred my new KSS Iowa to Rock Bay.

(Ignore the sad guns, its on time warp :P)

40194bd09cf85121d4bbd9d2dcf3ac40.png

1211fb72f74d3baa77f404b49725bbcc.png

6c11ec75e70a913de1b5e25d27d71d2b.png

Now I need to find 5 3  4(..? Super Serkit) more places to send the rest! Its top speed (19 mps converted to 42 mph) is actually faster than its actual real life counterpart! (40.5 mph) And for a "Fast Battleship" its pretty slow. Then again, I'm sailing a ship in a game about space exploration...

Edited by Spacetraindriver

Unsubscribed to this topic after accidentally pressing "Notify me of replies". Got 300 emails.

In KSP, continued my Mun base. The test site for EPL. Turned out nice if you ask me. 8E7C3989B66AFCB59E6E8C41A230BB6CA57D7FC3

Jebediah just had to inspect the base. 

Now to create a space station in orbit around somewhere with a low gravitational influence so I can launch rockets for free(because I build them with rocket parts instead of paying the engineers at the KSC. I think they charge too much for the ships). And besides, with a station I don't need the stages to get into orbit

EDIT:

Build a getaway-vehicle designed to leave the engineers on the Mun, but get back the pilots. 

Connecting it was a pain in the ass, and it blew up. First connections, and before I uninstalled Extraplanetary Launchpads, the getaway ship.

If I can't even connect a ship through 3 ground polyms, I am not going to keep using it. Terminated the Mun base, and started to look for new mods. Warp-drive would be really handy

14 hours ago, Kerbital said:

I suck at landing planes and MechJeb does suck too at landing planes so I quit messing with planes but some of those builds are amazing.

I quit too. After the n'th attempt I gave up. It kept exploding due to

1. Not flying 

2. Not steering

3. Steering out of control and thrusting towards the ground/ocean

4. Not taking off

Edited by AntherJebediah

Inspired by Space-X announcement that they'll bring 2 "tourists" on a moon flyby I decided to try to emulate it.

Had 2 tourists that had 'mun flyby' on their list so I decided to take them with me.

32.265 kesos up front.

EgxHBex.png

7.423 recovered so 24.842 or 12.421 per head.

A bit cheaper than Space-X :)

j6ebICv.png

Well the shake down flight on MunLabOne revealed  one or two issues. The big one being if you are going to use a remotely piloted tug then a you really really need a relay network with 100% coverage. Not one with 75% ..

And the Mk1b lander only has one ring of RCS blocks and the rotation this introduces before the reaction wheel corrects makes docking so much fun  ... NOT. I couldn't understand why I was making such a hash of docking, of course realising its a design error on something a long way from home is bittersweet. 

FYI when plotting a landing point for your lander it helps if you don't turn off landers on the map screen. Otherwise you might end up landing only 5km from your unmanned probe

Bringing the pilots home leaving the plucky scientists with their research.

NOqcX5G.png

Gained a pilot for the return with a fortuitously timed rescue mission, took a whole 12m/s dV to pick him up.

So I need to launch two relay sats into Mun orbit, decide on whether to replace the Mk1b lander and resupply the station with some monoprop. And possibly deorbit MunLabOne from its current 51km to 15km and maybe alter its inclination from zero.

Presenting the Wanderer: Your Single Stage To Anywhere Plane!™

Wanderer_Mk_2.png

Features:

• Tail landing gear for vertical landings
  • Drills + ISRU
  • NERVs for long-range flights

It's still a WIP. It theoretically has enough delta-v to get to Iota. If you flew it perfectly. What I'm trying to say is the delta-v margins are too slim. It also takes half a year to refuel, which is just a little bit long. But it's promising!

4 hours ago, joacobanfield said:

I removed lots of those mods. It was getting confusing.

2 hours ago, munlander1 said:

I started my 4th or 5th version of ksp, got 6 or 7 mods on there already. My last one was not compatible with bdb. I also downloaded annals mod. I gonna try to tweak the engine stats this weekend.

I must have restarted KSP more than 100 times now. Short attention span or obsessive fixation with a mod (depending on the mood), feature creep, mod overload and easily frustrated. I still haven't reached any of the outer planets after hundreds of hours, I have not finished most missions because I found something new to try. I hover at around 30 mods but I think the largest was 98. I can't play vanilla KSP any more. Someone posted here that they had hundreds of mods loaded. I'm not complaining though, still having a blast with this game.

I just wish they fixed the stutter:(

1 hour ago, astroheiko said:

it is a Space Station!:P

No seriously. An asteroid? But that would be a huge chunk.

It is the Mun. And the dish is the polar crater.

EDIT: Has anyone managed to destroy Kerbin in 1.2.2? I wanna try! 

Edited by joacobanfield
PLANETARY DESTRUCTION.

I finally got my Heli working at speed, tuned it, and released it.

uKp32BA.jpg

Now that that's done with (other than perhaps some small upgrades I have in mind) I need to figure out what my next project will be. I'm thinking a replica. There's that partially built CH-53E sitting in my hanger, but I think I should take at least a short break from helicopters because otherwise I'm going to get burned out.

So that leaves some options. I could start work on building a 727, 757, 767, or 777, since I laid out their spacial dimension frames. Or I could start work on some other fighter jets, perhaps a Saab Grippen, Eurofighter Typhoon, or Sukhoi 27.

Or, there's this thing I found in an older save.

2017-03-02%2021-07-39.png

Apparently I started work on an Apollo replica once, and never really made more than an unfinished command module and the descent stage of the LM - the landing legs (I wonder if I can make ones that look like the real deal using RCS ball joints and antenna tubes and stuff).

I'm kind of inclined to try and work on this thing, because... Gosh... I haven't gone to space in like a month or two.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
OCD

WwduiKD.png

White knuckles piloting on my latest Airship Adventure - trying to see if I could reach the monolith North of KSC on my way to the North Pole.  (No full write up yet, it's late and I'm tired.)

Fqcu0ZW.png

After piloting an airship for some hours, I'd had enough of airships for one day.  Swapped over to the save where I've been working on mining infrastructure to support a Dres landing campaign.  I needed a depot in Kerbin orbit to store the fuel brought down from Minmus.  At first, I went back to my Jool-5 save and the massive tank farm I used to fuel my mothership....

MtPVc9l.png

Then I thought through what I was doing and realized two things...  First, since I was bringing fuel down from Minmus, I didn't need to send fuel up from Kerbin.  Second, I already had a solution in hand and had used it to make the refinery/depot in Minmus orbit - using Modular Fuel Tanks to rejigger an existing tank.  (Decreasing oxidiser storage, adding monopropellant storage, and increasing Liquid Fuel storage.)

ojAllPM.png

The result is a much simpler single tank system.  It's equipped with both Clamp-o-Tron and Sr. docking ports, for visiting vehicles and possible future expansion.  And sitting here writing this, I realized I left a hole in my infrastructure - no tankage in place to bring Monoprop down from Minmus.  Balancing the mass of the Monoprop against the mass of the tug (which is sized around bringing down 6400l of LF at a pop), it'll probably be more efficient to just send a load up from Kerbin now and again.

This is why I work all this stuff out in the Sandbox first, before trying it in a campaign game...

In my made-up universe, slight political turmoil, and the resulting invasion/annexation of another country, has lead to the resurrection of the Proteus-Lavina Shuttle-booster program. If your wondering about why i made so much crap up, i've reeeeally been meaning to start some sort of continuous story/thing in the Mission Reports forum.

Fairly large images below vvvv

Spoiler

Here, we have a B-16 Bison. Captured during the invasion, it is one of only 3 remaining. Re-purposed, from it's roll of leveling anything that dare be below it, for carrying the Proteus and Lavina spacecraft to high altitudes for drop testing. The former owners flag is yet to be painted over.

TCs9OGu.jpg

-

Here, we have the Lavina booster, responsible for carrying the Proteus all the way to orbit. After a successful launch to orbit, the Lavina booster separates from it's smaller comrade and autonomously de-orbits and glides/jets back to the launch site, where it immediately begins prepping for the next mission.

Agisisd.jpg

-

An aerial shot from a chasing CT-23 shows the B-16 climbing to it's service ceiling, where it will drop Lavina for independent flight testing. The booster absolutely did not rip the vertical stabilizer off of it's carrier! 

C6CZCc0.jpg

-

New tail, new flag, and a new pilot, who actually knows how to -not- slam into things. Next up is the Proteus, undergoing it's final gliding and jet powered test. The booster, however, is not so lucky. Unforseen issues (un-updated mods) are going to require a slight redesign and engine swap, delaying the booster part of the program for an unknown amount of time. In the meantime, Proteus can be adapted to fly on other, more expensive rockets until Lavina is ready

om5IG43.jpg

-

0qKwlUO.png

-

And to finish this up, i spent the time to make a mission patch in GIMP

41Rj1CJ.png

(Science game)

Last night, I was able to resume Maltrey's mission to place the first Kerbal boots on the Mun.  From the parking LKO where I'd left him, he made a routine burn for transMunar transfer, and had plenty of fuel left for Munar capture, lowering apses, and circularization below 30 km -- and still had enough in the transfer stage to handle the deorbit burn.  Once that was done, the transfer stage was jettisoned with just a whisper of fuel left in its tanks and Maltrey had the two-stage lander for his landing attempt.

Because of mission timing, in order to land in daylight, he was landing on the farside of Mun, out of touch with Kerbin -- if something went wrong and stranded him on the surface, he'd be there until he was marked "overdue" and then found by a presume SAR mission.  No pressure, right, Maltrey?  His deorbit burn had been set up to drop him into the large crater on that side of the Mun, in hopes there would be flattish ground available, but after a longish burn of the descent stage engine left him in a vertical descent at low speed and altitude, he could see that the ground was anything but level.  Unfortunately, until he was almost in contact, he couldn't really see how not-level the terrain was.

With plenty of fuel in the descent stage, he hovered a bit, trying to land gently enough not to damage the (spindly, fragile-looking) landing legs.  When he finally touched down, there was a pretty strident "bang", however -- but two things were immediately clear.  First, he had all the landing legs; second, the ground was too steeply sloped for the lander to stand on them.  It took a few seconds of manipulating the descent engine throttle while SAS/RCS kept the craft upright on two legs to realize the third thing: despite testing in the VAB to ensure the legs protruded beyond the nozzle bell, the descent engine had been destroyed by the seemingly minor impact with the Mun's surface.

Maltrey kept his wits about him in the finest tradition -- tapping the RCS forward translation, he hovered briefly (confirming that the installed RCS, three rings of four quads, was sufficient to hover the complete lander in Munar gravity, at least with the descent engine gone and a third or so of the descent fuel burned), scanned the terrain for a level enough area for the lander to actually stand on its tiny legs, then reached the decision to abort.  Slapping the staging button, he separated the ascent stage and burned for Munar orbit.  The tiny ascent stage (Mk. 1, 400 tank, Terrier, two RCS spheres and now two rings of four quads, and the science suite) was up to the task, and soon he was in a high orbit over Mun; in less than another hour, he had completed the burn that put him on a reentry profile, still with about 10% fuel remaining in the ascent stage tanks (and close to 50% RCS fuel).  Only a single goo canister had been opened, and that in low Munar orbit (already well covered in previous flyby and orbit missions), so little "science" would be gained from this mission -- and no flag planted on the Munar surface; that will have to wait on better landing legs -- but the experience, suggesting the landing legs really are as inadequate as they look, was none the less invaluable.

Just before going on vacations, I finally sent the first manned (6 Kerbals) Duna expedtion in my 1.2 career.

This expedition is made of 14 ships sent to Duna.

IIrng0Z.png

Once everybody has arrived, there will be:

• 1 Crew transfer vehicle
  • 1 Duna space station (half of the 14 ships actually),
  • 1 Duna rover,
  • 1 Duna lander hive (12 small landers),
  • 1 Duna Ore scanning satellite,
  • 1 Duna surface shuttle (crew will have to repack chutes between flights),
  • 1 Ike surface shuttle,
  • 1 Ike Ore scanning satellite,
  • 1 Miner & Ore shuttle to mine on Ike and bring the ore to the Duna space station.

Pictures of the main vessels below

Spoiler

Crew transfer vehicle

YwAHBlm.png

The surface shuttles

HdWJ89E.png

Duna lander hive

3vrPrcL.png

Duna rover

aQMTBhl.png

Duna Space Station blueprint

vVeZSmt.png

Ike-Duna Miner and ore refueler

oPRpCpi.png

More details there: http://slubman.info/post/duna-here-i-come-a-k-a-duna-expedition-01 

Edited by slubman

(1.1.3) Been a while since I've done screenies, so I figured I'd put a few up with today's log entry.

Yesterday began with an excursion to the surface of Minmus from the Minmusport space station with a Spamcan 7a lander, one that had been recently refitted in the vicinity of the Deepwater Horizon refinery on the moon's surface. Scientists Alra, Danwig, Isavie and Shersel Kerman went down to plant temporary flags before returning to the space station. After their return, all the Kerbals aboard the station were loaded aboard The Great Artiste and the ship was refueled using the station's stores. The Great Artiste then departed, heading for Mun:

SU1DLrW.png

The Great Artiste departing Minmusport 7. A Spamcan 7 lander is docked to the left side of the station, Old Bessie 7 is left side nadir, and Lewis and Clark is right side nadir.

Burn for Mün required only 81 m/s of delta-v, a four-second burst from The Great Artiste's main drive. She'll arrive at Mün in approximately twelve days.

The Great Artiste's departure occurred approximately one hour before the arrival of Strange Cargo in Minmus's SOI. After The Great Artiste's departure, I did a check of Minmusport's fuel stores and determined a fuel run to the surface would not be required prior to Strange Cargo's arrival. Strange Cargo successfully rendezvoused and docked with the station, and the Spamcan 7a lander was once again dispatched to the surface, this time carrying pilots Donfurt and Burmon Kerman as well as scientists Calcan and Natanie Kerman. The craft landed successfully in the Lesser Flats and the group piled out to plant temporary flags:

aJnrB9q.png

Natanie, Calcan, Donfurt and Burmon Kerman at the Lesser Flats of Minmus. Couldn't say who is who...

The group later returned successfully to Minmusport:

NLWKSrA.png

Spamcan 7a coming into dock at Minmusport 7.

The four Kerbals returned to Strange Cargo and the Spamcan was refueled. Recent-rescuee and scientist Sidbrett Kerman boarded the lander along with scientist Patzor Kerman, who then departed the station and affected a descent to Minmus's Midlands. I had a little bit of a harrowing moment towards landing, when I realized that I still had the speedometer set to Orbit instead of Surface and nearly tipped the lander well away from Deepwater Horizon or the crane rover Lunkhead. The mistake actually wound up helping the mission; after correcting it and burning to zenith for a short time, I was able to land the craft in an area with about five degrees grade (as opposed to the eleven-degree grade I would've landed in originally). Sidbrett and Patzor did their flag-planting and reboarded the Spamcan, though Sidbrett tried to fling himself back into orbit as he was trying to reboard the Can. Both boarded safely, though, and are currently waiting for the next opportunity to return to Minmusport, which will happen later today with any luck. The plan is for Strange Cargo to return to Kerbin upon their return, assuming there are still sufficient fuel stores at Minmusport to refuel the craft fully prior to its departure. A surface fuel run or two will then likely be needed in preparation for the arrival of Next Objective, which is still several days away at this point.

7 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

<snip>

After piloting an airship for some hours, I'd had enough of airships for one day.  Swapped over to the save where I've been working on mining infrastructure to support a Dres landing campaign.  I needed a depot in Kerbin orbit to store the fuel brought down from Minmus.  At first, I went back to my Jool-5 save and the massive tank farm I used to fuel my mothership....

MtPVc9l.png

Then I thought through what I was doing and realized two things...  First, since I was bringing fuel down from Minmus, I didn't need to send fuel up from Kerbin.  Second, I already had a solution in hand and had used it to make the refinery/depot in Minmus orbit - using Modular Fuel Tanks to rejigger an existing tank.  (Decreasing oxidiser storage, adding monopropellant storage, and increasing Liquid Fuel storage.)

ojAllPM.png
<snip>

Really nice ships, what mod do you use for trusses and docking ports?