What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Built this nice high-altitude plane, sent Jeb out to Kerbin's northern ice shelf to grab a sample and return to KSC.  Still had a quarter tank of gas when I got home.  That means this can literally fly halfway around Kerbin on a single tank of fuel.  Generally cruises at about 800 m/s at an altitude of 20,000 meters.  

S3IiHFh.jpg

pb64dX5.jpg

Edited by Fearless Son

So I've been quite busy lately, testing out new things and finishing off the old. Hear me out, cause this is probably going to be a long one :D.

So.

my latest craft Pistachio One (an improvement on the little glider that was stuck on Minmus a week or two ago), went once again to the pale green speck. Arrival was nice and again, I packed I bit too much fuel. Pistachio One was originally designed to go to Minmus, land on the edge of the Greater flats, do some science and come home. Instead, the transfer stage was used to make a soft landing and Jeb hopped out and planted a flag.

Then, after the science was collect, I flew to the Lowlands. Then the Midlands. The Highlands and the slopes.

Spoiler

screenshot7.png

screenshot10.png

screenshot13.png

screenshot18.png

I then left my science save and went to sandbox to figure out what to do next.

In the meantime, I made a B-1 Lancer that I'm happy with:

Spoiler

screenshot24.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot39.png

screenshot38.png

The Lancer fly's nicely, with a top speed of 458m/s. I tried with wings swept back, as I originally intended to make a stock swing-wing, but the speed only increase by 30m/s under the same conditions, and I preferred the better handling of the first version.

Back to Pistachio One:

After some thinking, I decided Pistachio One could make it to the Lesser Flats. The landing at the Highlands was quick, as balancing in a Poodle engine isn't Jeb's forte. A quick burst of fuel sent him on a nice trajectory to my favourite place on Minmus. A nook in the south end of the lesser flats:

Spoiler

screenshot19.png

Tooth-like ridges on the edge of the Highlands:

screenshot21.png

screenshot53.png

screenshot64.png

screenshot68.png

It was decided that the mission was good to go home, so Jeb boarded Pistachio One and took off, ditching the spent transfer stage early in the ascent. The Spark engine was ignited, pushing P1 into an acceptable orbit. A handy Mün Encounter was picked to collect some science and slow us down a tad, and soon, Jeb was back home, making an easy landing in the desert.

Spoiler

screenshot70.png

screenshot72.png

screenshot78.png

screenshot84.png

screenshot88.png

screenshot95.png

Spoiler

screenshot105.png

screenshot111.png

screenshot115.png

Jeb has now been reassigned to my new Light Cargo Test Vehicle, the C-27 II Super Spartan. I seem to have lost the screenshot of its design, but here's a picture of it delivering a troop truck to the Island Airbase:

screenshot126.png

A really weird thing about it is that it's takeoff speed is about 120m/s, but it's stall speed is <40m/s...

Today I wrangled with an uncooperative game where, putting up new relay satellites in perfect circular orbits (ion powered, no MechJeb), I found every time I used time warp to help the wait for a satellite to reach a desired position, the damned Ap and Pe would change - because of the time warp. A few meters here, a few meters there... so inconsistent... so damned aggravating. My thinking is that this is not a thing which should be happening, there is no reason for it. Anyone else who has experienced this, feel free to chime in.

:mad:

It happened

W91kQ3G.png

15 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Today I wrangled with an uncooperative game where, putting up new relay satellites in perfect circular orbits (ion powered, no MechJeb), I found every time I used time warp to help the wait for a satellite to reach a desired position, the damned Ap and Pe would change - because of the time warp. A few meters here, a few meters there... so inconsistent... so damned aggravating. My thinking is that this is not a thing which should be happening, there is no reason for it. Anyone else who has experienced this, feel free to chime in.

:mad:

I've had this happen before, and something similar. When rendezvousing two things, when I time warp, my target just sort of teleports to its right for no reason.

I finally managed to fly under the bridge!

Probably with the stupidest thing ever.

Ii2M7CP.png

Works really well though, especially with 10 wings clipped into the command pod

I had a ton of launches these 2 days!

1.- Cyan shuttle

"Cyan" shuttle is the first shuttle i've ever built! First tests were awful-rolling,flipping and wiggling, but then, as my idea of shuttle was getting more and more perfect ,the shuttle was already prepared for launch! It flew perfectly but sadly didn't land... All crew landed using parachutes in their suits!

w66nUy4.png

It had a lot of fuel! And was really good shuttle for me!

2. Finish of "Ablation" relay on minmus. 

''Ablation' relay consists of 4 identical satellites on different orbital incliniation!

It will really help with my next 4 crewed missions to minmus!

Last probe to be released from the mothership

CzuOevX.png

3. ''Gauss" unmanned lander is orbiting minmus for now!

The concept of "Gauss" is to have an orbiting lander around one planet/moon for it to be visited by crewed missions regularly. It can be easly repaired and reconfigurated using modular design (docking ports everywhere)

It will reduce the cost of flight to minmus!

e1Bjqqq.png

4/5 is 2 launches of different rockets but with similar aim!.

"Fluorine" rocket

jMQIM4X.png

and "Power" rocket

BfhjbB3.png

Both carried identicall payload of Mark 1-2TE (thud engines)

FZuqiZD.png

And both succeeded

And that is it for today!

Cheated to dive into the underwater, and took an underwater sample. I didn't know that this one gives another experiment, in the same words...

w39hVEX.png

nNBVn6Z.png

The text is identical to the one from the surface. Now time to check...

tdWIpxI.pngWRgCfQ8.pngQWUaSxb.png

So, got two surface samples from Water! One from the surface, another from the floor!

This one is done in sandbox mode, so don't know how it works in science/carrier mode.

Taking inspiration from Blue Origin's recent New Glenn video, I decided to take SpaceX and Blue Origin, and mesh them together, creating this:sOVzGlC.png

The Dragon 2 capsule from @tygoo7's excellent Tundra Exploration is capable of propulsively landing itself, as is the booster.

The booster is based on the New Shepard, but has SpaceX's grid fins for control. It's connected to the capsule with docking ports, so the same capsule and booster can be reattached and reflown.

Moar pics:

Spoiler

Testing legs:gEnBoj5.png

Liftoff!j4LbIxN.png

FMRS is armed.9da0H5F.png

The rocket ascends. The Vector plume is now nearly invisible.mKphYem.png

Apoapsis established, and the Vector shuts down.mGjJFp9.png

The capsule separates from the booster.tGRpS9x.png

FMRS is working as expected.9zG9IiN.png

The capsule falls back in the atmosphere and the four grid fins extend for control.AD3flTs.png

Reentry is not very stressful.ZSyqY5q.png

As 1.5 kilometers above sea level, the engines on the capsule ignite for a propulsive landing.xslR0uf.png

Gears deployed.oHSNkx6.png

Descending...suLxQOI.png

And touchdown!vS4BiWV.png

Now for the booster landing.

FMRS is used to switch back to the booster.kQ8tT3T.png

Grid fins deployed.ER9cYMM.png

Reentry is more stressful for the booster.ZX6bbjH.png

Engine ignition at 3.7 kilometers.8ITOwp5.png

Gears deployed.kW0dD0O.png

Almost there...erlB4NT.png

And touchdown!6WJyhcM.png

Switching back to the landed capsule. Mission success!vwv0btZ.png

I'll provide a download link soon. :) 

I sent a rover to Eve!

UcQjykf.jpg

I used the Jupiter-V launch vehicle again to get everything into orbit. Here it is on the launchpad.

mMQHV9f.jpg

Here's the transfer vehicle and payload in LKO. I ended up just barely having enough Delta-V to deorbit around Eve! :confused:

x0yycM9.jpg

Here's the rover and parachute attachment in Eve's upper atmosphere. The Kraken decided to pay me a visit when I separated the heat shield from the drogue parachute assembly, and it wound up taking one of my drogue chutes as payment :(

w7y4Jy3.jpg

The rover got to enjoy a lovely Eve sunset as it made its final decent separated from the heat shield and drogue chute assembly. I'm thankful and a little surprised it didn't break and explode during the separation!

FSGhpKB.jpg

And here's my lovely little rover on the ground on Eve. It doesn't drive all too well, but it can maintain an uplink to Kerbin around noontime, and it has a decent power supply! :D

First Kerballed mission out of kerbin SOI. The youngest Intrepid class cruiser was selected (the Kydonia) with a deep space habitation module (Intrepid class vehicles are designed to be adaptable!)

CEWUJC8.jpg 

Spoiler

Crew were sent up on a Leia (from rocket factory, love a four man pod!) to Station 2 for a transfer.

CZsFYMK.jpg1Bqo4OB.jpgCVO1yC2.jpgXv7Przv.jpgFTAYacI.jpgThe Kydonia then rendezvoused with an intrepid extension module (a gym, life support, recyclers and a lot more fuel!) 

tFMHRGS.jpgJdzA7lR.jpg2U9iPN9.jpgdxmlvk2.jpg5ugLtF7.jpg6 Long burns to get out of kerbin soi (it's something like 3000m/s to do it!) Then detached the fuel module, one of my first pieces of space junk!

Cpp9ECi.jpgBurnt for home, a total excursion of 100 days! The captre burn produced an encounter with minmus so decided to attach the habitation module to the minmus exploration station.

t2S8NQ9.jpgfQKe4Sq.jpg7ZYAd0f.jpg

First minmus Landing.

KMz5Byk.jpg 

Spoiler

The four veterans disembark from the Kydonia and Jeb, Bill and Bob get in the Eagle mk2 lander. Val visits the gym, Keepfit is telling me she is at risk for reentry due to extended period in a cramped module! (this was meant to be her command)

HMGyWuo.jpgkcCnw5h.jpgI scaled up the landscape, it's pretty gnarly slopes man!! Beyond is the landing site, should have good ore concentrations

fO40BhD.jpgWToLpPp.jpgmovfxPo.jpgKMz5Byk.jpg

Crew then returned to Kydonia and cast off for kerbin, after 150 days in space it's time to get home!

U4sptjH.jpgReturn to Station 2 to get back to their Leia

amkCq7u.jpg 

Mandatory reentry sunrise shot 

3OtKhX1.jpg

This concludes the veterans work together,they now all have their own commands with rookies. Jeb is going to take the 4th mun exploration mission, Val will take the second Minmus exploration mission, Bob will take his crew to do some orbital science and Bill will test some new exciting rockets...

Meanwhile the first Plock-Karen window came up so the first Vagrant mk2 mission was launched (Pluto 1 [V2a] ) The mark 2's are nuclear powered and have 24,000m/s off the pad!

ftSclKE.jpg

Spoiler

My Biggest current rocket a Titan IV, which is in all honesty is too big for the payload, but the third stage is then used to extend the orbit beyond the mun!

pvyKgLV.jpgG310f3W.jpg2ZhZJXA.jpgzWwQTzQ.jpgLoads of different propellants here! Lowest stage is the Titan IV's second stage (about 500m/s left) which is LFO, the next is a Monoprop stage Titan IV stage 3 (from NF-spacecraft) about 1,500m/s, next a LH2 nuclear stage with 3 pairs of drop tanks, which gives about 6,000m/s and the final is an in engine (xenon) with about 4,000m/s. There is a nuclear reactor on the final stage to power that ion engine and massive com dish! Nightmare to balance all these fuels efficiently! Probably gonna simplify at some point!)

JQDmQFZ.jpgvnwj18L.jpgGpvd6zO.jpgW0kfRhV.jpgVEV3AJx.jpgDid quite an aggressive transfer so should be there in only 10 years!

Finally tested some nuclear thermal stuff!!

z3ApXmD.jpg 

In the wake of the careless unfortunate accident that recently destroyed KSC and the resulting devastating cuts to the space program's funding, mission control needed to think of new ways to bring in the roots, lest they all be reduced to eating roots. Fortunately, there's always some rich idiot who doesn't check the safety report and throws money at anyone who can do fun things.

The first rich idiot's name is Tito Kerman, and he wants to go to space in any way possible. Hang on to your hat, Tito, because Dragonbug I is ready for takeoff!

vb8WnnT.jpg

Happily, Tito and pilot Ellie survived the trip unscathed, and a new industry of space tourism was born. Now, for the low low price of a year's salary, you too can spend a few hours watching your homeworld spin beneath you!

Also, we have a cool science station that you may have seen in the news. For only 50% extra, we'll have our veteran scienticians give you a personal tour through Mo'dur.

drSzN1p.jpg

While both an elegant and exciting mode of transport, Wyvern I is a little limited in its seating, only providing for one party at a time. Hungry for challenges and snacks, the engineering team releases this artists' concept of "the next big thing" in space tourism, offering double the passenger capacity of the original Wyvern while sacrificing none of the range:

mCNi3nx.png

I brought my kerbals  home from Duna. The first to leave are Val, Bob and Kimey.

screenshot1990_zpsb7moukcp.png

Then Jeb ,Bill and Marliana left a day later. The Science Station served them well but time to go home.

screenshot1993_zpsht1qbgjn.png

Happy landings were had by all.

screenshot1999_zpsf9lsf9sv.png

screenshot2001_zpsx3mfb87m.png

I also tested a prototype Jool/Saternus science vessel.

screenshot2034_zpsjteqah2e.png

I launched a... wait. Anyone who is reading my KSP fanwork, 'Kontakt', should probably look no further (Unless you like behind the scenes).

Spoiler

I launched a SCANsat into a polar orbit of Kerbin. The plot of 'Kontakt' requires me to land at multiple anomalies, so I need a satellite to figure out where these anomalies are located. I designed a new satellite, Kerbsat-1, and launched it from a new rocket, the 'Hercules.'

'Hercules' on the pad:

Pf9OeeQ.jpg

Launch:

uidradt.jpg

After ditching the boosters, the core started the circularisation burn, and the satellite completed it.

The satellite in question:

sthaIXG.jpg

11 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

Having nothing to do, i put all planes together to take family photos, kids first then adults.

j81YYr.jpg

-snip-

Woah, would really like to have a closer look at some of these. Especially the Drake, which is my favourite fighter jet of all times.

Would you mind uploading them, or at least the Draken, somewhere?

Completely forgetting that Jedbus Kerman had already went on a Minmus-and-back mission a few weeks ago, mission control sends new recruit Sonlock Kerman off to the minty moon aboard the newly designed Menta I lander. It is somewhat based off the Soyuz ships, having docking, engine, and crew parts that separate before reentry. The launch went well, and I was able to get to Minmus in a record time for me - only about 9 days. Sure, that's nine times longer than what it takes to reach the Mun, but I don't care. It's still a record! But it wasn't until I started doing SCIENCE! in Low Minmus Orbit did my excitement waver. It came to me that there had already been a mission to Minmus, which was forgotten about. Poor Jedbus did all that work just to be overshadowed. But mission control found it as a great idea to collect even more data from Minmus to help with plans for colonization. At least, after the Rhea mining base is set up on the Mun.

Sonlock wasn't the greatest pilot. Three times he had to try and land the dang thing, but the final attempt was risky enough to make Jeb clap in approval.

pTk6crS.png

5AkZXF6.png

uBmPUF5.png

COevnyc.png

7he85Cr.png

Sonlock did not approve, however.

726TMIA.png

With that out of the way, Sonlock happily left the minty landscape of Minmus. He was anxious to get back home to watch some of the latest episodes of Doctor Kwho. However, despite his name, Sonlock wasn't very bright. Instead of slowing down his orbit for an aerocapture, Sonlock decided to do a Mun flyby - which didn't work. The resulting burns to get the ship's orbit near that of Kupole Station almost took up all the fuel on board. His next job was to dock Menta I with Kupole Station so he can deposit a few experiments for long-term research. He returned with 7 of the 12 experiments on board, as well as the top docking module, which became jammed. But the mission was a success, bringing more data than mission control could hope for.

XZzXIH3.png

QLMa5CF.png

ZUTrYS6.png

wba60Bk.png

IQx1st4.png

But when most of the mission staff were celebrating a success out of nowhere, one member was checking the orbital positions of the planets and found that Eeloo was in just about the right place for a Hohman Transfer. This was a golden opportunity for the space program (I have never been to Eeloo before), so mission control ordered the construction of a new space probe. It was named Styx, and was only around 3 tons. A large nuclear-powered interplanetary stage was added as well. In order to get this thing to Eeloo, the engineers had to design that largest lifter they've ever made - the Titan V. After several rounds of design testing, Styx was sent up into orbit. Mission control began plotting a maneuver for it, but found out they could get an encounter with Jool during this time frame. So the maneuver was cancelled until a Jool probe was sent out, and when Eeloo was in a slightly better place.

Sic5Y7t.png

FeeZTL8.png

uhNuEWH.png

Engineers quickly designed Hera I, the first Jool probe in a longer line of future missions. It took designs from Styx, but had improved features like solar pannels and even more electricity. It was also sent out on a Titan V lifter and was heaving off to Jool within an hour after launch. Time until Jool encounter is about 4 Kerbin years.

LeI1U5M.png

w8k83Ml.png

vbmCe5w.png

gkgm26V.png

About a week or two later (in-game), Styx was ready to head off to Eeloo...kind of. It was quite a wobbly spacecraft, meaning that I couldn't go max thrust with the Rhino engine or else face the horrifying tentacles of Sir Kraken. So I had to burn at 50-75% thrust. That was, until the Rhino engine flared out and I had to use my nuclear-powered stage. Let me tell you, 7 minutes total of burning is not that fun. After achieving interplanetary orbit, Styx used up the last of the fuel in the nuclear stage to fix its encounter, then detached to fly on its own.

25oBlhy.png

kP98qYh.png

09pc4Jf.png

vQlm3Dh.png

Mission control issued a few more things while waiting for new transfer windows to open up. First, the ICP-1 probe had to reach Duna. It entered the desert planet's SOI about 196 days after Styx left for Eeloo, and flew by the red planet with a closest approach of about 4,000 km. It was able to record gravitational data for almost every biome from High Space.

FDQ2GRG.png

oQUjKuZ.png

Next, the space program wanted the design from Menta I to be improved for crew transport and other missions to Kupole Station. This time they made sure to TEST the THree-WAy-Part (TWP, or THWAP) system before launching. The goal of this mission was to bring back the analyzed data brought by Sonlock's Minmus mission. However, it turns out that when you research experiments in the Crewed Lab Module, the individual experiments disappear. So that whole mission was pointless. *quack*

V6UZXam.png

4wBXery.png

BtXuBEO.png

Finally, mission control's wish came true. A launch window opened up for Eve! The engineers went to work on Aphrodite I, probably my widest probe yet (purely because of the panels). It was also going to be sent up on a Titan V lifter, but the stuff within the fairings were unique. First was the rather compact nuclear stage. Unlike those for Hera and Styx, Aphrodite's nuclear stage was using just ONE tank, this time the second-smallest 2.5m tank, which still has quite a lot of fuel. Next was the aerobraking stage - just an inflatable heat shield and a 2.5m reaction wheel. I was hoping to get the probe in an Eve orbit through a "safe" areobrake through the top of the atmosphere. The top of that was Aphrodite I, which came with quite a lot of fuel for an orbiter. That's because Eve's strong gravity recquires a lot of dV just to change an orbit.

Aphrodite I was launched, put into orbit, and quickly sent on a trajectory to Eve. About 16 days after launch, it underwent a quick but VERY precise correcting change that puts it going through the top of Eve's atmosphere. Please, please be the right altitude for aerobraking...

EYiwT1j.png

lCoBzu7.png

001cV5M.png

rhrxiN0.png

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Imgur link: http://imgur.com/gallery/ciyr3