What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hmmm, I didn't do much IN KSP today, I did however sort through almost half an hour of Billy Mays commercials (editing, sorting, recording 3+ hours STRAIGHT starting from 3 in the morning!!!) cause I can't use a microphone to record voice lines for a commercial project which I just happened to film in KSP! What a Bacteria Genocide Machine has to do with this game idk.

Edited by Spacetraindriver

So I was all pumped up. Had finally created a rocket with enough DeltaV to get me to Duna, land, and safely return to Kerbin. Had only previously sent a lander that was not designed to return. Everything went smoothly, much better than anticipated even. Great launch, great Duna transfer, established orbit, landing perfectly, conducted some science, planted the flag, took off, rondezvous with the module left in orbit to top of the fuel, initiate transfer burn for Kerbin return. Speed up time a bit just to make things a tad quicker, and promptly get SMASHED to bits when IKE comes from the right and collides with your ship.

Moral of the story: 3 dead Kerbals, destroyed Duna vessel, mission failed.......................

KNOW WHERE YOUR MOONS ARE PEOPLE............LOL........will try again tonight.

LOL :)

E2MvjZG.png
Apparently Michael effin' Bay broke into my house and for some reason decided to play my career save......not enough fire, Mike. You're going to need to do at least one more take.

Edited by capi3101

Hi m8s mates!

Got a few KSP mission reports for you!

1, Test of "Lavina" rocket. It is fully reusable rocket  for leaving atmosphere and going suborbital!

IpRJS6H.png

6EiX7Lz.pngSxOQODr.png

2. Visited Eve and landed on Gilly!  I also dropped a small container to watch it behavior in the Eve's atmosphere. (that is my 2 second mission to Eve)

UpfUDhw.png1Ey9qoV.png

7FDb6Fp.png

3. Preparing Kosmonauts to visit Duna! My training excercise consist of 4 stages- Quick assembly using KAS, Driving a rover with a very high speed while manuevering, Landing an only engine powered rocket on Kerbin , Jumping with parachutes on a plane!

ommkLij.png4lpW4qw.png

xDrgBS4.png

4. Finish of  "Dawn'' space station.

6YYokIO.png

5. Adding a small  canadarm (not robotic though) for my "Triangulurum" station.

RVuzWop.png

17 hours ago, GDJ said:

@Bornholio: I have to say that you have made one of the best looking rockets here on KSP. Very well done!

Between Procedural Tanks/Fairings and RO/RP-0 it makes it easy to have a nice looking machine.  Kerbal stock is neat in its own way but I'm a big fan of clean lines.

Put up a 4xGeo Remote tech network over Earth'' . [RO/RP-0 Dev 1.2.2] with no eye candy mods except Realplume.

Take off from Kourou, over Atlantic, slight dogleg to lower inclination from 5deg to ~3deg, circularize at 1200km, inclination change to 0, set maneuver node to lead the target point about 6 hours.  burn up to 35.7Mm, Circ, tweak, tweak and tweak. Only had 26 total ignitions on the engine so I was conservative. A1 had 0dv , others had 200-400 dv left. I'd put some RCS on it next time

GWKrnfI.pngttdyfvT.pngbspzkVo.png

Clarke A1 (Pacific), Clarke B2 (Indian)

3S7UDns.pngByLjIXK.png

, Clarke C3 (Americas), Clarke D4 (Atlantic)

duaB4Ib.pngF4S4heT.png

Tiny bit sloppy, Got the SMA's pretty tight on 3 so they won't be wandering but the first one mechjeb'd the heck out of that one and only had 2m/s orbital velocity left but no fuel to correct it.

vBJ8Xrc.png

Mechjeb is currently having a problem in RO/RP-0 Dev for 1.2.2 that it immediately executes maneuver nodes instead of waiting, somehow the circulization burn node works fine though.

Also when you have 13 antenna to activate put them on a hotkey. Now i can de-orbit my improvised satcoms in LEO

Edited by Bornholio
cleanup

After years of continued pressure from environmental groups, mission control agreed to investigate the option of a renewable hydrogen infrastructure based on solar power...

JfMfRC7.jpg

Alekeg II may be a little stout about the tum, but it is in every other way superior to its predecessor. This chubby little station required quite a while to make an Iota transfer, so the 7.5m launch stage was somewhat overspecced to heft it up to 800km altitude and give it plenty of time to perform its burn. Now safe in Iotian orbit, it is unlikely that it will ever be called on to move again. Current crew are Jinx Kerman (pilot), Piper Kerman (4-star engineer) and Fern Kerman (token scientist) but regular rotations will happen lest they form some sort of witches coven and rain curses down upon KSC as retaliation for their banishment. 

Featuring the new, 5-metre ISRU unit* and living space for far more kerbals than it needs to operate it, this station is a vast orbital reservoir of liquid hydrogen. Fully fuelled, it would be capable of over 6km/s range, but that's not its purpose. Instead, Alekeg II will devote its operational lifespan to refuelling visiting ships and serving as a waypoint for adventures further out in the Cirolar system.

* (The 5m ISRU is a homebrewed mod. I feel like the 1.25 and 2.5m options provided by stock are just... well, cheaty. To the point of ridiculous and immersion breaking. This new huge version weighs 17 tons and is far better suited to living in orbit than being incorporated into a mobile vessel. As compensation, I've increased it's efficiency for hydrogen processing, such that the station's 12,000 ore capacity is enough to fill that huge orange tank 1.3x over - or sufficient for one tank plus one refuel of the mining vessel that will shortly follow. It's not very obvious, but I've also added a 5m ore tank at the bottom of the station, which is a 2x scale of the regular 2.5m tank, and in itself weights 16 tons when empty and holds 120 tons of ore when full. Alekeg II is one honking big mother humper, but it certainly has a purpose. Missions to follow will be the mining vessel Kraftbier, and a fuel freighter Full Steiner Head, with the aim of establishing a supply chain to low Gael orbit, allowing deep-space vessels to be refuelled for free. Which matters, what with the massive funding reduction since that time when KSC "caught fire" in the night...)

Edited by eddiew

Mission control has been working on an interesting Minmus project and a Moho orbiter, but that's not what I'm talking about here (yet). I'm here to show off some Kopernicus eye candy! I just have too many Kopernicus-related screenshots to let rot in my KSP Screenshots folder...which now has something like, what, 1300 pics? I lost count ages ago :P 

zi4U4DU.png

cHrRRjM.png

05W4gzL.png

http://imgur.com/gallery/K0DB2

Phase 2 of setting up a hydrogen infrastructure.

mA5y3Db.jpg

Descending onto Iota, Kraftbier only weighs around 60 tons, but this rises to over 170 with a full load of ore. Pilot Tora Kerman's patience is tested during the ascent, with a local TWR of "only" 5.5. Which sounds high, but is actually really tedious because it's Iota.

Fortunately, this wonder of the modern age has excellent fuel efficiency, and despite the low thrust, Kraftbier has only drunk about half its tanks by the time it reconnects with Alekeg II. The RCS is perfectly balanced for full-ore, and even the autopilot (MJ) only burns about 1/8th of the monoprop tank during the docking. Its cargo is swiftly transferred to the mighty refinery, and Piper Kerman kicks the machinery into action, chewing through rocks and ice to spit out gallons of clean burning hydrogen.

obcBOHp.jpg

Somehow the station and lander between them are only 111 parts, resulting in a surprisingly smooth docking experience :)  The single large fuel tank and ore can on Alekeg II take the pain out of resource transfers, since it becomes a simple in/out button with all the part windows open. The whole kaboodle is a little more complicated than it needs to be, but it certainly looks like it will deliver a lot of fuel without an excessive amount of faffing around. The question now is whether that fuel should be shipped back to low Gael orbit, or whether future deep space missions will have to come to Iota before they set off...

Now THAT is a SCIENCE STATION!! :)

6kthMa6.png
New Kerbin Research Base.

In the background is Lander 2 descent module.......

Edited by GDJ

2 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Not the cockpit that one is, correct me if I am wrong, Stock extension.

Thanks again, but the pod in STX is an external pod, while the one used in the picture has IVA. So it must be something else.

1 hour ago, Freshmeat said:

Thanks again, but the pod in STX is an external pod, while the one used in the picture has IVA. So it must be something else.

From memory there is a similar pod (not an external one) in Airplane plus:

Landing is hard...

tjZSgus.jpg

Actually did touch down on the runway but... drifted, almost hit the control tower, couldn't slow down - looks like the landing gear choice wasn't a good one. turned back towards runway. Crossed went airborne and this happened. Crewless drone. No one to blame but me.

Four Launches, First one was probably my last Kourou until i need longer ranged comsats. (Earth, RO/RP-0 1.2.2 Dev)

CISL  Cislunar Integrated Science Lab(Too Much Thrust!...Getting rid of TMT....Shedding Skins).  I had a weird problem with my little tiny ullage motors on the orbital stage. When they ran out of fuel their TWR went infinite and the assembly disassembled. I let myself re-run the launch and removed the motors from staging, using a butt shake method for ullage. Thankfully I had some SAS, tiny bit of RCS to waggle the sat and allow the fuel to settle.

[Odin main stage, Stretch Freki/Geri boosters, Cecil orbital vehicle and Mite sample RV.]

jYecfb5.pngh9NL7k0.pngDdSR68c.png

CISL return pod ready to detach, then the main module goes into gravity mapping mode in High Polar orbit. Earth Space Science done....until i get more things to do.

LSDPhlG.png

Then I sent peoples in space, Cronus HO2P heading to High orbit to get that crew report. 12 days in space. All my 'nauts are orbital rated now. Last science needed to get my first HydroLox engine.

[Dwarf re-usable SRB's, Thor Main stage (two side engines shutdown at 4G), Hammer orbital insertion stage, Cronus III (2 man High Orbit Booster, 30d Life support)]

d8FFZBr.pngEDmQCWX.png3lcQFlR.png

Launching the I'll fated Luna 1, booster sep not so good...Luna two was better! Mechjeb had a real hard time with Delta-Vee calculation.  The final stage had 3500 but showed 953 until is separated.

[Elf re-usable boosters, uprated Thor main stage, Valkyrie orbital insertion stage (HydroLox), Javelin translunar module, Luna 1&2, Shotput Impactor.]

q6RFDGH.png1Ja5XBU.pngSRU0Mv1.png9ZlcBDr.png

Yeah for HydroLox!  If it had re-ignition I'd be happier took a lot of ascent management to burn all the fuel, pushed my parking orbit up to 950km from the planned 500km because i could not re-light for circulization.

eQXjU55.png

Engines do not throttle... uh how do i land this thing, Using springy antena landing feet.  I had 2 ignitions left when the engines safely Litho-Broke my landing.

7PH9ISH.png5uwxoHC.png

Edited by Bornholio
details, spellin'

I switched the tilt-rotor over from its LiquidFuel/IntakeAir test configuration to its Atmosphere/ElectricCharge production configuration, and then verified that my idea of a gas turbine generator will work. The gas turbine generator is throttle controlled, and instead of producing thrust, it generates copious amounts of ElectricCharge. The downside is that it needs oxygen to work, so it's restricted to Kerbin and Laythe in the stock game. Since the tilt-rotor will work in non-oxygenated atmospheres, the Buffalo will be getting a nuclear reactor to power the rotors on worlds like Duna and Eve.

Also, I'm almost done with the texture work:

or23Hvt.png