What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, james.bates said:

I finally managed to land Kerbals on every celestial body with a solid surface, and bring them home again. Today I cracked the final challenge: Eve!

I played in science mode, so the first few missions have only a single Kerbal (Jeb, who else), but as soon as I have the science, I like to send the iconic trio (Jeb, Bill and Bob).

Here's the photo gallery:
Harvesting launchpad science, to be able to launch into orbit

1 - Kerbin orbit

2 - Minmus

3 - Mun

4 - Duna

5 - Gilly

6 - Ike

7 - Dres

8 - Vall

9 - Tylo

10 - Poll

11 - Moho

12 - Eeloo

13 - Laythe

14 - Bop

15 - Eve

Installed visual mods:
- Stock Visual Enhancements
- Stock Visual Terrain
- Texture Replacer
- Distant Objects
- Reentry Particles

By Dres, I had already unlocked the entire tech tree, but I wanted to keep going and land everywhere possible. I have 46 000 extra science now ...

Best... first post... ever

Maiden voayge of my multi purpose transport shuttle. It can reach Minmus and Mun from Kerbin LKO. Its main purpose is to carry fuel from the munar surface converters up to the orbital depot. But it can also carry up to 6 Kerbals and comes with KIS containers.

20170325182446-9571c8af-la.png

20170325182459-a7be6acd-la.png

Edited by lodger

I've been playing a new career mode with a couple hard house rules - for instance, not allowed to hit the Recover button outside the flat grass around KSC.  This means I need some earlier than usual airplanes to effect rescues.  That led to a custom tech tree with the bare bones airplane techs in the start node, and no rocket parts until Basic Rocketry (plus the Airplane Plus and Open Cockpit mods with career unlocks).  First thing I did was a bunch of unlikely clattertrap planes before getting some really minimal plane parts:

7GzWJ3x.png

(sandbox to prove it's possible, thus the tarmac instead of dirt runway)

7BdMXp7.png

This one flies! Tiny WW1 engine, and a seperatron in the rear for enough boost to get moving.

FhaAooD.png

But here's the first one that really works.  Capable of two takeoffs (one rocket boost each) and even can land sometimes without exploding!  Can fly to the island and back, and can collect a bit of local science, which yields:

MKCccX3.png

The "Tryplane" here can actually cover some distance and effect rocket capsule rescues.  (We don't talk about the wreckage of Tryplane-1 in the distance...)

Q6pcL2r.png

Before long, we've got full blown science jets that can cover continental distances.  Sometimes it's handy to be out in the breeze for that science on the go

DSjLq0E.png

Now with the reliable and fast Observer-4.  Can land just about anywhere, on land or sea or ice.  With the first docking port tech, it can even start air-dropping primitive ground relays.  Why just throw a dumb relay-sat up when I can laboriously lay a chain of relays on mountaintops to reach the North Pole, future site of a permanent base and deep space relay station?

Moar Science.  I used my lunar science to drive to Nuclear rockets,

Building Freya I the II then III

Freya I, to much heat man, had to reinforce the tanks and improve power input.  It was Difficult to use the science bay, so I de-orbited it and re-designed the main cruise stage.

ToLvFnW.png

Freya II, on ascent it got solar power damaged and it cut my mission short.  De-Orbited it found out it can only handle LEO speeds.  heat shields don't seem to be working, at least the ablator wasn't used up. Orbital insertion before nose cap fell of taking one more solar panel off, lost 5 of 8.

2aW37AF.pngtx3ZKmD.png

Freya III  moved to fixed panels, improved cowling and fairing sep.  More sample storage bays (which 1.3 is supposed to fix.) Fully recovered first stage, look at all that chute!

nbg3oW7.pngrUwoudZ.pngn2hwuaO.png

It has two sets of three E-1's that I disable as the SLT passes 3.5, gives more fuel to the F-1 and its a good amount higher ISP so a few hundred more dV to orbit help. make a weird joggle to clear the nose cone when the ascent stage is dropped. Plenty of dv for moon and back.(orbit not landing). Capsule always animated RCS thrust even when disabled.

EuqNBO1.png8srZaIa.png

Fun Video from Mobylette, they are doing an RSS/RO/RP-0 Career video series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mX5gze0yAo

Edited by Bornholio
missing pics, cleanup

In the last day or two I did a couple things concerning two or three planet packs and defined and tested a custom resource for shiggles and inspired by Kottabos' recent review of Space Opera. Now if I could get itto register in SCANsat that'd be great. Finally I prepared Airline Kuisine for:

tb1crXb.jpg

... I'll publish in a few hours. I have unfinished business with textures.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Hello guys... i feel like life is trying to kill me..i just spent whole day in something like crying/cringing/just feeling bad.

Alright! lets stick to the KSP!

1. Test of the "Mountainer" rover that will be sent to the Dunar base.

yGEP6IV.png ppHu0km.png

2. New reusable orbital rocket- "Necro"

OvDvf6T.png 43jMKii.png

3. Landing of "Breathe" on Laythe! It is my first landing on solid surface of Laythe! (i have one probe in water and another violently burnt in atmosphere)

Z7CuzDU.png

4.A small asteroid made an orbit around Kerbin! Despite that it has very eliptical and inclinated orbit, it is a still a very wonderful thing!

7p0VDY1.png

5. My exploration of Duna and Ike with a "Contraplanetar" vessel!

nBtclsO.png NKr3yIs.png

AoKKugx.png

You can see more in this thread!

Past few days;

Put two 50m tall comm relay towers up on Kerbin, one at each pole. They'll compliment my relay satellites.

After a long wait, my burn maneuvers finally came up for Jool and Eeloo. Both ships are now on their way, respectfully. Rendezvous is in 2 years for the one, and 3 years for the other. In the process, I discovered that I'd screwed up and missed a burn window for my Eeloo SCANsat. It was supposed to have happened already (to arrive 6 months before the crew), but I neglected to set a timer in KAC. Damnit. The crew will have to wait, and behave.

Needed a 4-seat rover to fit in a mk3 cargo bay.

So I made a 4-seat rover that fits in a mk3 cargo bay...

nfZOwhR.jpg

The wheelbase is a little narrower than the Desert Willy III, but this model has double the reaction wheel torque and can pull wheelies and flips even under 1g. As yet, the crew haven't found a way to roll him by accident, but the usual design principles have been followed just in case they somehow manage it; no matter how you roll him, the only parts of Willy that can touch the ground are wheels or steel plates.

...well, with the exception of the headlights. Unfortunately they just can't be recessed enough for protection, but honestly, you have to be performing a series of tumbles to pop one off. On the whole, mission control hopes that nobody ever does this, and quietly removes Lyssa Kerman from the list of permitted drivers.

All this does come at a cost however, and Desert Willy IV's price tag is upwards of 350,000 roots. It sounds harsh, but we're talking an extremely durable rover with the best legs around, and a trio of heavy duty RTGs to power him all night long.

Also, I thinkTM that I might just have solved the crashing issues when KSP starts eating over 10gb memory... been sitting above that for a good 2 hours now.

I had to take a short break from my Jet-of-the-day collaboration (although tomorrow's craft still keeps exploding randomly), so I started up a new stock+ career.

ROlCdt5.png

This was the second launch of the space program (the first was a RT-5+Mk1 pod + Parachute), Atlanta 1. It was the first of a series of RT-2 based missions. This one had a stage-and-a-half design using RT-2 thrust to explosively decouple the spent stages. It was an intended feature, I swear. These maxed out at about 50km altitude, and provided enough science to unlock larger SRBs.

LMLDJzp.png

Able 1 was a simple proof-of-concept for using the RT-20 as a suborbital booster. All went well, and Able 2 was the first suborbital flight of the program.

znctcpG.png

Able 2 was the first stumbling block for the space agency. After a number of simulations, it was determined that the only way to slow down sufficiently to deploy the parachutes was to use a "face-first" re-entry profile. It works, people.

FkwaD4y.png

With the A-class suborbital missions accomplished, it was time to move on to the B-class orbital launches. Belltower 1 was the first attempt at orbital flight, albeit an unsuccessful one. However, it did prove the 5x BACC launch vehicle as a capable design, just one that needed steerable fins. The suborbital Belltower jaunt allowed the design was modified into Belltower 2, and the first orbital flight was accomplished.

vdbUEbT.png

Belltower 2 spurred a series of queries from the scientific community, as well as some strange guy named Tito who just won't shut up about wanting to go to space. Belltower 3 was happy to oblige him, for a price.

gADRQI5.png

Another development of the Belltower program was that Kerbals can't survive indefinitely as it was once thought that they could. Until a way to store electricity is discovered, orbital missions will have to be limited to less than a day long.

IPD1yad.png

While waiting for the scientists to invent batteries, a new type of engine was discovered that allowed prolonged atmospheric flight. Engineers quickly designed a craft to take advantage of these strange rockets, and promptly started racing each other around KSC. Their usefulness as rovers was also noted, and several experiments were done around KSC.

mduPj22.png

Finally, I leave you with this sunset. It was so pretty that I forgot to deploy my main parachutes and splashed down too hard in the ocean and died. True story.