What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yesterday I had a naval battle (HMS Feather vs KMS Turtleshell), and it ended in a tie. I initially ran it out of EC, but after I put on some cheats (To make the battle last longer), the thing opened up on me. This time when I disable the enemy, I'm calling in an attack helicopter.

3rd year into my OPM career save in 1.2.1, I launched some interplanetary probes to Dres and Duna in the 1st year with limited communication capability. Enroute they lost contact with the deep space network on Kerbin because the technology was so low. I launched a couple of powerful relays in the space between Dres and Duna just in time for Dres SOI insertion. Communication network is starting to look reasonable now. I have probes enroute to Moho, Plock, Duna and in orbit of Dres.

K2JWZ91.png

Jeb finished his erratic tour of Kerbin with a spot of industrial archaeology.

screenshot159_zps0e8zqc3c.png

Swinging south he discovered the Pyramids again arriving home in time to find actual space stuff happening.

After much poring over pictures and guesswork the resurrected Deliverance was unveiled.  It scores over the original in two ways.....

It's slightly cheaper.

And it has the words "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on it.

screenshot165_zpsk3cvyan1.png

Tasked with delivering the modules for the planned Mun and Minmus permanent bases it will be the workhorse for all cargo built to the MOM standard.

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Yesterday I had a naval battle (HMS Feather vs KMS Turtleshell), and it ended in a tie. I initially ran it out of EC, but after I put on some cheats (To make the battle last longer), the thing opened up on me. This time when I disable the enemy, I'm calling in an attack helicopter.

Or a cruise missile. Or a cruise missile launched from an attack helicopter. Or a- aw screw it, where's my nuclear bomb arsenal?

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Nuking, of course, is the only way to be sure. Preferably from orbit. :sticktongue:

My plan is to use a replica of a 1960s British fighter whose sole purpose was to carry a nuke. It was SUPER tiny, and it's job was as follows: Approach the target at max speed. Drop the bomb. GTFO like RIGHT NOW

2 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

Jeb finished his erratic tour of Kerbin with a spot of industrial archaeology.

screenshot159_zps0e8zqc3c.png

Swinging south he discovered the Pyramids again arriving home in time to find actual space stuff happening.

After much poring over pictures and guesswork the resurrected Deliverance was unveiled.  It scores over the original in two ways.....

It's slightly cheaper.

And it has the words "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on it.

screenshot165_zpsk3cvyan1.png

Tasked with delivering the modules for the planned Mun and Minmus permanent bases it will be the workhorse for all cargo built to the MOM standard.

Where is that airship from? It's soon cool.

I've decided to put some more effort into my crew recovery plane. I like the version I got to that I showed off a few days ago, but the design of that plane isn't quite right for the role. The plane was originally conceived as a passenger jet, so that's what I used as a design reference. But then I added the cargo bay for the rover, and suddenly I had something that was fun enough that I really wanted to use it (and I have), and that brings to light some shortcomings. Landing in uneven terrain was always in the cards, but now that I plan on making more frequent and long ranged use of this plane, I thought I would change the design to give more of a utilitarian or cargo aesthetic and improve the ground clearance:

10gmy42.jpg

Suguha C crew retrieval plane. It carries an air drop ready automated rover in the rear cargo bay that can provide transportation for crews who touch down in rough terrain, and ferry up to 5 Kerbals back to the Suguha once it has found a place to land. The Suguha can carry up to 16 passengers, and is capable of touching down at speeds as low as 40 m/s depending on the terrain.

Moving the wings was the big thing, but I also added engines, another tail, and redid the flaps and ailerons to address various issues. SAS is disappointing though. Even trimmed to maintain nearly perfectly level flight, engaging SAS drops the nose. It's like it centers all the control surfaces for a fraction of a second, dropping the nose a hair, then centers on that orientation. Might look into seeing if kOS could be made to function as an autopilot, otherwise this plane would be quite tiring to fly extended distances at high altitude (SAS works well enough bellow 2-3km, but is useless above 5).

Edited by Randox

Well, this weekend I succumbed to the latest bout of Career Restart Syndrome.   :confused:    I liked many of the designs I was coming up with in my last go-round but wanted to start over now that I finally (think I) have a good handle on antennas and relays.

As I am a glutton for punishment (evidently), I set science reward to half.   Prepare to grind...!

18 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

As I am a glutton for punishment (evidently), I set science reward to half.   Prepare to grind...!

Try with under 20% at all ? Thats my Punishment to Start to fast over... and no other groundstations Till i have a 100% cover with own Relays... the firstvrelays are at reaaaly excentric orbits :)

Best off luck 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Edited by Urses

Jeb and the rest of the orange suit bunch made a short trip to the island, clearly in style with a new Kertonov-124...

ycK567b.png

Jeb has so much fun, he turns to late for approach...:

VSUjJs6.png

Bill, Bob and Valentina are not much amused...:

usl7s5r.png

"...JeeeEEEEEEBBBBBB!!!!!..."

FmEGeE2.png

"...Hey Jeb, you just crashed turbofan number four into the basement leftovers...!!!!"

0eMHpGi.png

Jeb responded quite calm and relaxed."...Do not talk to the pilot during touchdown..."

iQxy5Lk.png

"Turbofan number four...? I see no turbofan." :D

Over the last few days, Valentina flew another attempt to intercept an asteroid.

(Science Save)

After the instrumentation problems on the previous mission (which had her setting up an intersect with an asteroid that wouldn't be there for sixty-some days), Val made some veiled threats in the hearing of Mission Planning members.  They responded with ASA-666, which Tracking indicated was a strong candidate to collide with Kerbin approximately 26 days after her last splashdown.  Fortunately, as a Class A, it was very unlikely to do serious damage unless it actually struck a populated area (with Kerbin's surface more than 50% water, and the relatively small number of actual cities, this isn't considered a large risk).

The tricky part was that the predicted path was a retrograde hyperbola with an inclination of approximately forty degrees.  A newly upgraded ship was available, however; Far Traveler Mod. 3 had seen the addition of a Mk. 1-2 command pod on the transfer stage, originally planned to contribute to  more efficient landing missions beyond Mun and Minmus -- but which also simplified redocking after transposition of the lander, as the Transfer Stage Pilot could stabilize the stage while the Mission Commander handled the lander.

For this mission, Sherny was chosen to accompany Valentina.  Launch was uneventful, and once the initial ejection burn had been completed, giving the first hack at timing the intercept, Val decoupled the lander and redocked nose to nose, then transferred to the larger 3-Kerbal command pod.  Then began the very uncertain process of trying to rendezvous with an object whose orbit wasn't very precisely known -- which, in fact, hadn't even entered Kerbin's SOI at the time of launch.  The initial search orbit was five days to apoapsis, where Val made a burn to reverse the orbital direction to match the target's retrograde path.  There followed a period of experimentation, culminating in a closest approach of approximately 420 km at about 370 m/s relative -- but, with only two days to predicted periapsis, it was clear that the object would, in fact, impact Kerbin, and that Val and Sherny would be unable to get closer without effectively diving into the home planet themselves.

Once they'd passed their closest approach, then, they burned radial to reestablish a prograde aerobraking pass, which they used to lower their own apoapsis.  They then lowered periapsis enough to allow reentry and landing, undocking the lander and staging away the transfer tanks and engines just as they entered atmospheric interface (to ensure those discarded bits would deorbit -- if not immediately, then within a couple orbits).

With the science instruments on board the lander having been held in reserve in case they were able to closely approach the target, no experiments were returned to Kerbin on this flight, but Val expressed the need to change strategy for the next asteroid intercept mission.  Instead of waiting for the object to encounter Kerbin, the next attempt will be to go out beyond Kerbin's influence, into the sun's orbit, in hopes that methods usually used to rendezvous and dock in orbit around Kerbin, Mun, or Minmus will be applicable.

Decided to sort out the cluttered mess that is my stock system save (try saying that three times fast)

Alright, let's check the tracking station to see what I was doing...

Wait, I had a rocket heading to Dres?

Oh_no.png

Oh no. I was young and foolish in those days! I didn't have KER! Will it have enough delta-v to--

Ohh_no.png

Ohh_nonono.png

Ohhh no. Ohhh nononononono.

Well then. Looks like I'll have to save these poor victims.

Plus Bob and Valentina, whom I left in orbit around Duna.

*sigh*

Edited by Brownhair2

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Invasion of the ore snatchers...

"All your ore are belong to us"

Is here a Trend with Kerbal-Robbers?

"Ore-Snatcher"

"Science Robber"

The Next One up the Way? Maybe

"The Pirates of Kerbibian"? :)

Funny Kabooms 

Urses