What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Seen a realy beautiful MK2 concept by JadeOfMaar for a Karbonite Jet.

Tried to build one for me too adapted for USI+USI-LS in GPP. Need some tweacking but i love the looks.

Spoiler

WMMGzba.png

Top Speed around Mach5 on aerobreathers goes up to 25km before flameout. LS and hab time for 1/2 Year with Energy support for 35 Years. And can scope Karbonite in atmosphere flight. Max Passengers 7 but Standard Team of 3 (Pilot, Engineer and Sciencist) and full Science package. Perfect for anomalies search and Contracts, and absorbs up to 25g's without woble or breacking.

I realy Love this 'lill beast.

Named "JOM Karbo Beta"

Edited by Urses
ARGGL Imgur didn't imbed the picute right way on mobile...

I cracked... I couldn't take any more of the state of my game and so I did two things:

1. I raised my science reward multiplier from 40% to 70%;
  2. Switched out the tiny CLLS mod in favor of USI LS and refitted the SS Prudence.

Unfortunately I should've done things just a little differently and with the help of KAS... I lost the wee bit of science data I had in the lab. In any case I'd much rather grind to keep crew alive than grind to get the next tech node (granted I've unlocked all of tier 4 or 5). Habitation is disabled (default) but the other things are all set to 3 days grace + death.

qkCQVCZ.jpg

(1.1.3) I've had a bunch - and I mean a bunch - of half-hour days for most of this last month dating back all the way to March 15. Log's getting ridiculous in length, so I figure I either should get around to telling y'all about or just dump the whole thing...

Y'all saw my Michael Bay-inspired launch of an Auk VIII heavy refueling tanker to the Kerbinport space station; that was one of my last posts on this thread. Mission was a success; I got a load of fuel delivered to the station though it was touch-and-go there for a while with the amount of RCS fuel being used. 

eih3AMX.png
Auk VIII docking at Kerbinport, with Mission Bloat in the foreground.

The tank was drained to the station's reserves and to the ferry Next Objective docked at the station, after which the plane departed and de-orbited. Damn thing skidded on touchdown, blew the freakin' Runway again and sat down on its tail...

IUheAaH.png
Auk VIII's graceful crash.

Obviously the Auk VIII has some serious design flaws with its landing gear, and I'll be dealing with those at some point. Probably when I have little choice but to use the damn thing again...

While that was going on, I accepted a constract to extract 400 units of ore from Minmus. The Deepwater Horizon refinery had plenty of space to do that, so I knocked it out real quick and got a nearly identical contract for Mun. At the time, it was night at the Piper Alpha refinery, so that waited a few days. I also noted the arrival of the engineering craft-cum-rescue ship Mission Bloat at Kerbinport, having successfully retrieved scientist Leema Kerman from LKO around this same time.

Leema's retreival gave me an even eight Kerbals requiring two-star training (the last of the current batch of KSC employees), so the other seven were sent up to Kerbinport aboard an Auk II passenger plane, which docked successfully to the station. The crew and Leema were transferred to Next Objective, which then departed and burned for Minmus - that happened on March 17th, and she didn't get there until March 30th, so the craft had a literal 13 day journey this time around. In the meantime, I completed the mining contract for Mun and then did a quick parts test for easy cash with a Lusitania 7 testing rig. I was then given the opportunity for a contract with a Minmus probe, and I figured that would be a good time to test and see if the Faux News 7 module docked at Kerbinport would be capable of doing its intended job (i.e. putting probes up for contracts). Danuna performed a fifteen minute EVA to assemble the Faux News Alpha-2 Probe, which then was cut loose.

PusmO75.png%C2%A0
Danuna coming back into Kerbinport with the newly constructed Faux News Alpha-2 probe (right, nadir) built and ready to deploy.

I learned that, despite it being a "new craft", the game wouldn't call it as such, so it was time to try something else. That something else was the first launch of the Bullet Bill 7 probe, my first attempt at an ion-drive craft. Launch of the craft occurred on the 22nd with its correction burn happening on the 23rd.

8fuco34.png
Bullet Bill burning for Minmus.

With another expedition en route, I decided to check the fuel stores at the Munport and Minmusport space stations. Minmusport was okay without having to retrieve fuel, but Munport was not so the Old Bessie fuel lander headed down to Piper Alpha. Got a little too close on the landing - the lander initially set down on one of the refinery's solar panels. Luckily it was going down slowly enough that no damage occurred to either craft and I was able to get the lander down safely. The lander was refilled, the refinery recharged and Old Bessie made her way back to Munport, refilling all of the craft docked at the station and getting the station's reserve tank up to 80%, which was good enough for me to secure refueling operations.

After warping ahead a few days to get more interesting contracts, I picked up a rescue craft to get scientist Irula Kerman from LKO. The Hojo Zeta outpost was nearing its descending node at the time - the first craft of the Duna expedition to do so - so I performed the correction burn and then reviewed the schedule of correction burns for the other eighteen craft en route to Duna. I wound up making several adjustments to at least get a few craft on corrected trajectories twenty days ahead of their scheduled arrival at Duna. The next correction burn will be for the rover Apathy in 47 days. After picking up another contract to adjust the orbit of the Beep-Beep 7e probe over Minmus, Mission Bloat departed Kerbinport to go pick up Irula. Had a mishap there - I sent the craft to rendezvous with Leema's Debris, which I didn't realize until six orbits later when I rendezvoused with it. I did finally pick up Irula successfully and brought her safely to Kerbinport, transferring her to long-term habitation aboard the station.

With nothing else to do, I warped ahead and made the correction burn for Beep-Beep 7e, netting an easy 15k. The Spamcan 7 craft arrived at Minmus about the same time and I went ahead and made the rendezvous and docking with Minmusport, refueling the craft from the ample RCS stores available from the station's reserve tank and the Old Bessie lander docked there. Warping ahead to the next Mission Control alarm, another LKO rescue contract was picked up - this one for engineer Gersen Kerman. He was retrieved successfully and brought back to Kerbinport, at which point I had a decision to make. Both his and Irula's rescue contracts were taking up contract spots and if I wanted to be able to do more things, I really needed to clear those contracts. Easiest way to get those clear would've been to spaceplane them down with the waiting Auk II, but it seemed a waste to me to leave six seats open. I did have a two-Kerbal spaceplane design, the Auk I rescue plane, but it wasn't designed to dock. It was modification time - a Mk 2 docking port was added to the Auk I, RCS was added and FAR analyses conducted, and the Auk Ia light passenger spaceplane was born. The test flight took place to retrieve the two Kerbals; it was successful despite the design needing additional air intakes at takeoff and me forgetting to set the docking port to toggle via an action group.

HfuxGDp.png
Auk Ia closing to dock at Kerbinport.

Those design flaws were corrected for future flights; the prototype successfully completed its mission and made a beautiful return and landing at KSC 27. Already considering a four-seat variant to fill that particular niche.

Next Objective and the Hojo Eta outpost both arrived at Minmus around the same time. Hojo Eta was put into an orbit aligned with Minmusport with the intent of getting it close to the Deepwater Horizon site, to facilitate easier retrieval of the two scientists aboard after their mission was completed. Next Objective required a pretty substantial correction burn to get her to rendezvous with the station. After both craft were put into orbit, Bullet Bill arrived and was also put into an initial polar orbit around Minmus, still with plenty of delta-V to spare. Next Objective arrived at Minmusport and docked with the station, after which pilots Kerlin and Magsan Kerman along with scientists Leema and Graphie Kerman departed for the surface aboard the station's Spamcan 7a lander. The four landed in the Flats and conducted their flag-planting training. Hojo Eta also landed successfully about two kilometers from Deepwater Horizon, an easy jetpacking distance away. The two scientists aboard will be transferred to the refinery at the next opportunity. The Spamcan returned from the surface of Minmus to Minmusport. I still need to get the other four Kerbal trainees down to the surface - still haven't done that yet.

Having picked up a two-Kerbal Mun tourist contract, I took the opportunity to try out the new design of the Auk Ia to deliver my tourists to Kerbinport. The plane performed well, though I botched the re-entry burn rather badly and overshot KSC by a good 400 kilometers. Technically that flight is still in progress; I quicksaved the game with the plane on course back to KSC and will have to quickload it next time I play...

So, still trying to get Bullet Bill in the proper orbit, still got Kerbals to send to the surface of Minmus and still got to get that plane landed. Things to do on my checklist for the next playing session. And I can finally clean out my log...

Today I thought I would rescue some of my stranded Kerbals on the Mun to "tidy things up a bit". I am not very good aiming to land at a specific place so I was also interested in practising this. I used my standard Mun/Minmus rocket but with extra seating. There is a rover below the lander.

DP0sfT0.jpg

I managed to aim my lander quite well, and with a few quick saves of practice I got to within 750m of my first stricken Mun mission. This was an LKO shuttle thing that I thought I'd try to reach the Mun with, and ran out of fuel. My landing was a bit precarious:

n0fWv6g.jpg

I dumped the mid stage before landing so I can detach the rover. I'm sure seeing various rocket parts strew across the Mun instilled lots of confidence in the stranded Kerbals...

FaVFEzz.jpg

Picking up the stranded kerbals

KLn9R7A.jpg

The other rescue mission was for a prototype version of my Mun rocket. I missed a crucial part in the prototype:

tis9GDQ.jpg

Compared to the 'final' version:

2NwRA3D.jpg

Yeah, no fuel pipes between the central tank and the engines, hence it ran out of fuel, oops :(

I've always ditched the orange middle stage just before I land (it usually has a little fuel left) but this time I stuck some legs on the middle stage to get some free Dv . Although this meant I couldn't detach the rover...

FQzwsAl.jpg

Back on Kerbin, I managed to land on one of the very steep cliffs, but fortunately my quad-legged design kept me upright and I slid down the hill at 2m/s. Well done Lander!

lqWj1YV.jpg

My first vertical starter.

pzQw4S6.jpg

First the rapiers are started and one must wait until they develop enough thrust before activating the TwinBoars, otherwise the TWR is under 1

rG9Yvqv.jpg

If the boars are burned it has already 500m/s

RWRIivy.jpg

iV5oJEo.jpg

The rapiers are burnt out.

E2kfWTF.jpg

Dropping unnecessary parts

YslYhZG.jpg

Orbit

CIoG5f2.jpg

Now I can go in the direction of Catullus

Edited by astroheiko

19 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Writing dirty stories about your Spanish friend?  I read him in my youth. Can't imagine how bad my Latin is now.

Whut?:confused:Never had Latin, not even Latinas:P ...asks Google....aahhhh...You meant that one.:cool:

I meant THAT one (top right)

Edited by astroheiko

Today I spent a good few hours in sandbox, experimenting with LS and my end-game ship. it took me a while to remember that my Mk2 USI greenhouse supports 3 kerbals at a time whereas I had 4 orange suits onboard. With the great added weight of LS resources and processors I need to decide between one of two better propulsion systems for that ship...

To get around in Galileo's Planet Pack, let alone anywhere under light speed I'm going to need something better than...

Spoiler

captain-james-t-kirk.jpg OPT Dark Drives

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Setting up a small mining operation on an island nearby...

Now we know it... you are a scout for Transformer like lifeforms... (Who needs so much ore like you :P )

Nice Drill Konzept

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

To get around in Galileo's Planet Pack, let alone anywhere under light speed I'm going to need something better than...

Hmm. KSP really needs an infinite improbability drive. Get anywhere in the system in the blink of an eye, but you might end up as Donald Trump's hairpiece. 

Thanks to @Bornholio's suggestion I installed SMURFF and retried 10k. Much much better, now that rockets actually get to orbit with a payload and look normal! 

Same payload before and afters

UgJeB0K.jpg 

slf3EmQ.jpgBoth launching this

bSRwWuc.jpg

Then I tested the Athena booster ahead of manned flights

xo8RhdJ.jpgOnly Just made the payload to orbit grade (0.3 tonne leeway for a capsule and orbital system!) So next launch was manned

B2apABK.jpgn85LDnz.jpgThen spent 500,000 funds build asmall 2 unit space station (based around the MOLE) for more science!

cn3zihO.jpg Unshown are many many hours of flying around to get science, starting to regret reducing my science slider!!!

Got to the island, started unloading the vehicles and The Kraken decides to flip my first vehicle...

KkUW2wg.png

No problem, hooked up the winch and voila, ready for action.

HAmmy6p.png

zRFxrhc.png

Full reverse on to land !

ScAiMAS.png

Anyway, the rest of the vehicles had no problem unhooking with the pond, operation has started, 12.80 % ore should be here ready to dig up. :cool:

lH12WAo.png

Looks a bit like a pod racer. :lol:

mYZqN9M.png

Edited by Triop

On 4/5/2017 at 2:46 PM, Kerbital said:

OK, I'm a 50yo playing with virtual dolls....hmmm... Anyways....

Welcome to the KSPOFC! (KSP Old Farts Club)

On 4/5/2017 at 3:05 PM, Triop said:

Found an old mod "SCANsat" that still works, scanning Kerbin right now...

Old? It may have been around for a good while, but it's still an awesome up to date mod. It's on my 'must have' list. :cool:

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Old? It may have been around for a good while, but it's still an awesome up to date mod. It's on my 'must have' list. :cool:

Yes, maybe calling it "old" doesn't do it justice, "dusty" would be a better word I think.

This great mod needs some hype ™ ^_^

15 hours ago, Urses said:

Hide contents

WMMGzba.png

Where on Kerbin is this rock?!? You must tell me!

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

Yes, maybe calling it "old" doesn't do it justice, "dusty" would be a better word I think.

This great mod needs some hype ™ ^_^

I put the word out on it often. As I've mentioned many times in the past, in playing the science game I do, SCANsats are my first probes out... I don't go anywhere without mapping it first.

3 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I put the word out on it often. As I've mentioned many times in the past, in playing the science game I do, SCANsats are my first probes out... I don't go anywhere without mapping it first.

It's just awesome, I like the "real time" scanning, in fact, my scan is almost ready.

e43dOhL.png

8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

It's not on kerbin. It's in GPP, but it's not by design. Supposedly caused by an unnoticed commnet dish. He looked for it today after updating to the latest version of GPP, but couldn't find it again.

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It's not on kerbin. It's in GPP, but it's not by design. Supposedly caused by an unnoticed commnet dish. He looked for it today after updating to the latest version of GPP, but couldn't find it again.

Bah. Sadness.

In between working on the Buffalo Wings update, I converted the Cyclone engine (model by @blackheart612) to use the new plugin I made for the Buffalo's tiltrotor. Next update, no more Firespitter dependency! :) To take the refurbished engine for a spin, I built a Korsair using stock parts- the tail cone and fuel tank are 75% scaled along their length, and the airbrakes are 50% scaled. All I need are some folding wings and I can fit the Korsair in the Heisenberg's hangar deck.

p6KpXV4.png

o2cN5QV.png

This speed demon can hit 200m/sec (about Mach 0.6) in level flight, and you'll definitely need the airbrakes and thrust reverse to slow down quick.