What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, Kerbital said:

Thank you!

PS. I really like this mod! I was able to add Lithium option to the tanks and downloaded some extra textures. Awesome!

Sorry to bug you, Procedural Parts gives a compatibility error when running KSP 1.2.2 but seems to work. It's somewhat buggy though: it takes some extra clicking to get the capacities to update after you resize a part. Is this happening to you too or there is a fix for this? Does it even matter? It seems that they work OK once the capacity is set. Thanks a lot!

You're correct. the mod doesn't update the values until you change something.

kSwT5IA.png. xYYICIU.png.1YLNy34.png

KER shows correct number.  But value in tank does not update until you change something significant. (Tank type, move it, deselect/reselect) but not when you change the texture.

12 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

You're correct. the mod doesn't update the values until you change something.

KER shows correct number.  But value in tank does not update until you change something significant. (Tank type, move it, deselect/reselect) but not when you change the texture.

Yup, thanks! I figured it out. Man, I really wish I found this mod way sooner. I always struggled with custom ore and monoprop tanks. This is great. Thanks!

3454357567857.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

Never underestimate how stupid The Flying Kerbal can be!

Having never done it before, I fancied building a small lander for two Kerbals to take down to the surface of Minmus.  However - and this is the bit I'd never done before - this thing would have no engines, it would be powered by RCS thrusters for both descending and the ascent back up to rendezvous with the command/service module in orbit above.

Everything went really good!  The launch was one of the best I'd ever made, nicely into orbit... very good injection burn... it was only when I was well into my final descent that I noticed I'd forgot to add RCS thrusters... :confused: :/ 

Launching a new crew to my station, I saw this beautiful sunset with the Mun and Minmus.  Of course, pictures of the Mun at sunset never turn out that great....

l7YtmxO.png

On 4/6/2017 at 10:38 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Been working on more mod dev, this time on Black Hole Tanks

This one adds fuel tanks with a 10x storage capacity due to the artificially generated black hole in the middle.

Was fast scrolling through, had to back up and ask... wait... wut? How do you get the fuel back out?  And wouldn't that add a heap load of mass to the tank?

@gargamel it is an artificially generated black hole, and EC is used to regulate the access to the fuel. The fuel conserves its mass, but is in super concentrated form so it is inaccessible. And yes, it is a bit heavy :) 

I am in the process of developing the plugin that allows for you to do this, under the watchful eyes of @linuxgurugamer :P 

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

Made an Augustus SSTO. Exotically fueled. Karbonite Turbojets and Lithium MPDs. Now I want to write a patch to make Mk2 Expansion's parts hold the same.

It has roots in a much leaner, smaller Lithium-only SSTO I had before GPP existed. I haven't tested its sturdiness on landing. I'll quite likely destroy this and try to remake, even adapt the predecessor.

NckaHsJ.jpg

Nearly quite empty it struggled and made low orbit on Niven. I wonder if it would have succeeded with a better flight profile and 'enough' Lithium in the tank.

QTcrXTu.jpg

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sort of a poor man's geostationary orbit with better polar coverage. 

It's not like a geostationary orbit. The Molniya orbit is a highly-inclined and eccentric semisynchronous (half-day) Earth orbit designed specifically to provide good coverage over Russia (or the USSR at the time it was first used). But it's not really comparable to a geostationary orbit in any way other than the fact that it's good for communications satellites.

The Molniya orbit is used because of an effect that KSP doesn't simulate: attempting to beam a signal anywhere on the surface other than directly below the satellite (or vice versa) takes significantly more power for the same signal quality, with power requirements increasing as the angle the signal makes with the ground decreases. A geostationary communications satellite therefore struggles to provide good signal quality to locations at higher latitudes like Russia (without a more powerful and thus more massive antenna system), and so the Molniya orbit exists to get around that problem.

It's also easier to reach a Molniya orbit from Russia than a geostationary orbit, because there's no need for an inclination change with the Molniya orbit.