What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The second Sentinel mission was lofted giving a steady source of income and Bruce Kerman plenty of advance warning to get a new vest on.

screenshot168_zps6v2h4dcy.png

Also stepped up tourist contracts to Mun and Minmus.

All this is paying for a rejig of the MOMbase concept. With part numbers increasing to ludicrous levels the decision was made to weld the base MOM chassis and some of the modules into single components onto which the moving parts can be bolted. The existing deployed modules were terminated with extreme prejudice and the design crew motivated. Using advanced techniques such as "thinking" and "light clipping" they were able to not only reduce the part count but also compactify the concept giving a much smaller footprint.

screenshot169_zpsxma1c1ra.png

screenshot170_zpsj7wukutq.png

Edited by dangerhamster

I've been playing around with boats. I've got a good submarine now, and a large tanker ship.

In other news, I'm still trying to build a spaceplane. My last one ran out of oxidizer in the upper atmosphere, but I managed to land it in the highlands.

The prototype Lightship Sabhee Viaktar

PTJjBKD.png

When this shot was taken it was between Kerbol and Trappist-1 (16 trillion metres away from Kerbol).

There is absolutely no useable light out here. Solar panels are not useable. Use fuel cells.

Better yet, a Fusion Reactor. RTG's don't put out enough (10,000 EC's worth of batteries deplete in 5 seconds at maximum warp, RTG's are like kicking a pebble against a mountain).

Edited by GDJ

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

It's also easier to reach a Molniya orbit from Russia than a geostationary orbit, because there's no need for an inclination change with the Molniya

Thus, the "poor man's" GEO. :wink: It fills the same role, and does so better, for a much smaller delta-V budget. 

29 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Thus, the "poor man's" GEO. :wink: It fills the same role, and does so better, for a much smaller delta-V budget.

I'm not sure I agree. Though the Molniya orbit is used for communications satellites just as GEO often is, their specific goals are not identical. GEO is used most commonly for communications with near-equatorial latitudes, while Molniya and similar orbits are used for communications at higher latitudes.

And also, despite the lower delta-v budget, it might be more expensive to use a Molniya orbit for continuous coverage (depending on launch method), since it takes 3 satellites in different Molniya orbits (with their ascending nodes at 120 degree angles around the equator) to obtain continuous ground coverage.

I've had so little time to play KSP lately. That "Von Braun Ferry Rocket"-style test flight I launched a couple of weeks ago?

I just now got around to bringing them home...

vh4HEZX.png

My projected flight path was over Miami, but some left-bank in the upper atmosphere over the Pacific pulled it north to Cape Canaveral.

YQWhn9U.png

Passing over Mexico.

M7Yaayi.png

9Amw1x0.png

XSP2Orp.png

The Mississippi delta off the left wing.

hBD9cWl.png

I dipped a little low and needed a short engine burn to get back on glideslope for the KSC runway.

IrgCVVI.png

Tampa Bay.

YNw5nkp.png

I've run out of monoprop due to the engine burn, but I'm low enough now to be controllable without RCS.

cxhkewV.png

Safely above glideslope, I drop the nose and open the speed brakes.

2fiDVOe.png

xH9fIg4.png

My target approach speed is 80 m/sec crossing the runway threshold.

dkxmbNu.png

I'm a little high and fast this time, so I'm floating nearly to midfield in the flare.

RfwCwbd.png

But that's fine...  she stops on a dime.

f9UYol6.png

That's the prototype test article parked in the background.  I used it for atmospheric glide tests.

Edited by RoboRay

On 4/7/2017 at 9:29 AM, Boganaut said:

... using an asteroid as a heat shield while aerobraking over Eve - I call this shot "The Flaming Potato"

I tried that for a reentry on Kerbin. The asteroid exploded and I lost my ship and crew along with it. :/

On 4/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, Bornholio said:

SCANSat  for the win.

Absolutely!

Gael campaign, launched my "Albatross" LGO abort station and tested a "Seagull" docking target on it.  Then sent up Tito and Jeb in a Kite Orbital, forgot to send sandwiches they got hungry.

First Albatross forgot to put on Docking Port.

1wlbevG.pnggTulgnj.pngZA4DJrT.pngRSydvBk.png

Second with port, attached docking target Seagull launched a day later.

ksOgaxv.pngf5mAWyK.png

Tito and Jeb had a good view but no supplies (USI Life Support but no supplies in the pod.)

IVTVLTV.pngLGfcQ45.png

As usual the dV available was excessive.  Could have not had a second stage for the mission.

c9lOoN0.png

Edited by Bornholio

I just banged my head for an hour and a half trying to lift a suicide solar station with wayyy  too much mono on it from Launchpad straight to Solar with 4,700+ dV on it.  I finally threw my hands up, ripped off a small tank, stuffed stuffed some fins on it (loss of about 200 dV), and put it into Solar orbit doing a normal gravity turn... on the first try.

That definitively ends ANY conversation for me about 'which way is better'.  Grav turn me baby, uh-huh, uh-huh!

[KSP 1.2.1] DD Rockets accepted a contract to test Ion Engine on escape trajectory of Minmus. We timed the launch to enable a Kerbin gravity assist and then burn out to Dres. The ship looks a lot like NASA's Dawn Ion prototype. DD Rockets introduces "Belter 1".

xvrqR0i.jpg

For my analysis of the foundations for a futuristic-setting KSP mission report, I've been testing a couple ships. The most deeply tested was a heavy (~1100 mTons) Nuclear Lightbulb spacecraft headed for Duna. fYy0wmF.png

A mere 120 days later, the ship arrives at Duna. Burning a bit late for the insertion burn, I barely get into orbit, though I would certainly have a bigger margin had I burned at the right time.

EFpGR9B.png

I utilize aerobraking but I had to burn fuel prograde due the fact that I underestimated the drag (the ship wobbled violently, increasing the drag massively).kzQ8Vys.png'

While waiting for 1.3, my Kerbals are testing a even more bigger Kertonov 225, all stock, not even KER.
This is part of my new all stock KSP Laythe Kolonisation Kampaign, all the necessary gear is under testing at the moment...

Landing fully loaded and fully fueled Kertonov 225 with thrust reversers - full success:

cYaQuSw.png

Flight to random spots on Kerbin, testing systems:

c1dBLSB.png

And landed at the arctic, testing the refueling rig and gather some sience. Jebediah goes cart racing:

mAzQWQs.png

Laythe i`m coming! :D

5 hours ago, Triop said:

"It's a maze, it's gonna be great"

fawJlxD.png

President Krump

I want... I want to smash a rocket into it... :confused:

5 hours ago, Bornholio said:

LGfcQ45.png

As usual the dV available was excessive.  Could have not had a second stage for the mission.

c9lOoN0.png

Edited 5 hours ago by Bornholio

Is that a 2.5m Soyuz capsule? What mod's it from?

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I want... I want to smash a rocket into it... :confused:

Is that a 2.5m Soyuz capsule? What mod's it from?

It looks like the Tantares mod (by @Beale) though it's actually 1.25m. 

If you want a bigger capsule home grown rockets do a 1.875m Soyuz replica (with retro rockets) 

@Triop is that the film "the cube"?

Edited by Kertech

10 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey there.

Looks to me like a molecule......Any chemist here that can tell us what it is?

Sugar? Glycol? Methane? Soap?

ME

Chemistry student here:

A cyclic compound with 5 6-rings. It has lots of different functional groups, but the source material might have been some kind of sugar. Should be solvable in water as well as polar organic substances.

Is there a biochemist here? Maybe it's some kind of hormone/drug/psychoactive substance type thing. 

Edited by Physics Student

I already had a packer mk3 cargo aircraft....

IZrFYyI.png

So I glued two together and tried to make a seaplane

dVe8XVv.png

A flipped plane and several explosions changed my mind

diPdwVl.png

Edited by Dobelong

Passing Madagascar, the Darter orbiter is on its first non-test operational mission to perform a crew-exchange at Wallaby Station...

9GRjvBr.png

Appropriately, rendezvous occurs over Australia.

z9CrdAv.png

RYWzbFw.png

2atIcGP.png

OS3C2xu.png

5NeYvW9.png

EoTuJDr.png

pBNeiUA.png

Z23IVvc.png

iG2U7GQ.png

4cSqtTG.png

The next orbit again passes over Australia...

WLbGvpW.png

IEOP4g9.png

haR8SYq.png

Edited by RoboRay