What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

"Cannon Ball" run.  Had a LEO 3 crew mission to do should have just sent up a science mission explorer but they are expensive. Made a lighter duty 3p rocket pair of Hydrolox upper stages and a big Kero lower. Added a couple boosters since i didn't think i could cut the edge of LEO to fine with out running it a couple times in sim to get profile just right.

lxODwvX.pngBcxmPVz.png

Dropped fairings at 50km probably should have stayed on longer.

asN6m5Z.png0n9K6eZ.png

274km 5500m/s first stage drop.

oGpW9GZ.png

350km 6900m/s second stage separation  Flew easy.  The LH2's allow for a tighter LEO insertion and the J2 gives it multiple ignitions to circularize. 

0KbJ7M5.pngxFGD1rH.png

The Mitsubishi would allow for maneuvering and multiple ignitions but all it did was finalize the circ and de-orbit.

v3iOOB3.png

17 day mission design, limited by water mostly.  Landed a lot slower than planned, chute should probably drop to a single.

9FFHWFl.pngZQCXqRU.png

Edited by Bornholio
Comments, pic cleanup

14 hours ago, Ourtism said:

I find it makes a decent short-trip landing and takeoff testing site for crafts that have limited maneuverability. That may not make sense for some, but it would if you were to see any of my terribly designed "planes", if you can call them that. I'm still trying to get to grips with designing things for flight WITHIN atmosphere. I expected planes to be very accessible after many successful rockets, it's turning out to be quite the contrary for me.

Aye.  I find it especially useful for testing how easy it is to land a particular plane.  The island airfield is a lot shorter than the airstrip at KSC while also being on a much steeper rise.  It requires the pilot have better judgement about their altitude, and the plane needs to be able to get all its gear in contact with the runway very quickly and with minimal impact if it is to have any hope of landing.

9 hours ago, steve_v said:

Keyboard (pricey mechanical) survived, though slightly sticky.

This must be so hard for you. Loosing a Czech beer is always a tragedy. 

The keyboard goes in the dish washing machine on quick/rinse, small amount of mild dish washing detergent (like dawn), make sure drying cycle is off.  If you want a light petroleum lubricant can be used in the actuator sockets of any keys that get cleaned too well (squeaky).  I've cleaned dozens of keyboards this way.  Coke is the worst, circuit board etching corrosive stuff.  Beer gets real gummy if you wait though.

Edited by Bornholio

100,000+ Pe, Yeah I'll call that more than LKO!

afc5fc7a90bf2362f36ae455e418d130.png

Descent was brutal though, spinning, turning, spinning...yeah you get it now...I know its because of the heavier rear end, I should be able to keep it stable with more RCS ports, maybe even Venors (?) cutting down the the fuel in the back!

4a5d684da1e85c0605469865e6e729db.png

I WAS able to get it back under control, and ditched in an ocean, only losing the nose cone.

f883f75ac6342fdc536eea08560bb572.png

STS-1 complete! Too bad I never named the shuttle...

(Unless "Saturn V-S Plane" counts)

I also built this today, and it was the most enjoyable and challenging thing to build I have ever made.

T4t94AA.jpg

"Surprise!"

tLQxb23.jpg

It small enough to be totally contained in a 3x3 large structual panel box. it works both ways, and is all bound to action group 1. Heres a Download if anyone wants it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1egskrb8i388prf/P2 Wheatley Aperture Science Plugin Station.craft?dl=0

Close up of the mechanism:

8VFHDCZ.jpg

I was a bit disappointed today. Started off well enough, payload tested a new design:

6SGfcNx.jpg

Was able to lift 511 tons and change to a 100km orbit, and I think it can probably do a bit more. I was hoping to get 500 tons out of it, so that wasn't the disappointment. I wasn't satisfied with the craft's aesthetics, It's a bit too angular and blocky. I wanted something a bit sexier. A redesign was in order.

I think I nailed the sexy:

uIvTt6D.jpg

The disappointment was that according to KSP's aero model, exhibit 1 is vastly superior to exhibit 2. Even modifying the engine layout for much more thrust at the expense of efficiency, it struggled to crawl past 400 m/s. It might (barely) make orbit with an empty fairing, but only just. I may revisit the sexy version at some point in the future, I don't think I can bring myself to carve into it right now. It's just too pretty. For now, I'll focus on the one that works (still more work and testing to be done there). 

7 hours ago, Bornholio said:

... Coke is the worst, circuit board etching corrosive stuff.  Beer gets real gummy if you wait though.

Let me introduce you to coffee, light and sweet (cream and sugar). You can add that to the list. :/

1 hour ago, NoobTool said:

I was a bit disappointed today. Started off well enough, payload tested a new design:

6SGfcNx.jpg

Was able to lift 511 tons and change to a 100km orbit, and I think it can probably do a bit more. I was hoping to get 500 tons out of it, so that wasn't the disappointment. I wasn't satisfied with the craft's aesthetics, It's a bit too angular and blocky. I wanted something a bit sexier. A redesign was in order.

I think I nailed the sexy:

uIvTt6D.jpg

The disappointment was that according to KSP's aero model, exhibit 1 is vastly superior to exhibit 2. Even modifying the engine layout for much more thrust at the expense of efficiency, it struggled to crawl past 400 m/s. It might (barely) make orbit with an empty fairing, but only just. I may revisit the sexy version at some point in the future, I don't think I can bring myself to carve into it right now. It's just too pretty. For now, I'll focus on the one that works (still more work and testing to be done there). 

Welding and change the drag boxes.  or FAR.  The dev version seems to be working okay.  Either way welding...it would crush my potato without welding fo sho.

Welp. Kerbal flew by while I was rotating the craft to put the Kerbal in so that he could enter it.:

5246E1D663E0EF0B7AD57C2DC614AB2B09AA8583

Same craft again. But was finally able to land it. Main problems are need more batteries and moar control surfaces so I don't have to have engines at full power:

1B41E93CBED3A8FE5A3D7F6809C756B2845C5D30

But, otherwise the SSTO plane works fine as long as I get some more fuel into it from orbit.

Two Missions this evening, "Broadside" my cannonball class stretched to get more missions in LEO. Second I launched my "Skylab I" rocket all 2800tons of it.

gVHppxn.pngjl3N0yG.pngOHG1XF6.png

Hydrolox Engines cascade staging, two outer motors drop out to keep G forces low.

aX3IjyI.pngqD5f3Hb.png

All this to get 4 kerbs to LEO 350x349km Orbit

vmcv0il.pngmSZpmhL.png

2800tons of mostly kerolox, Ignoring the problems with the Russian N1 stage engines I'm using.  1 Ignition, throttles deep so it never goes past 3G.

sGawCPt.pngZtkWKgS.png

5 J-2s in a Common mount burning Hydrolox, enough to get it to LEO or in this case boost it to a solid 1300km AP, 2 minutes burn time.

5D8Bxvp.pnglkjZfRc.png

6.6m diameter Kkylab module with integral hypergolic service engine. Boosted to 1300x1275km above west Africa.

YW91oAt.pngjBPNMi4.png

Looks like the Skylab module needs some balancing on science return rate.

RaglhVN.png

Edited by Bornholio

Hi guys ,i am back!                                                                                                       (BUT_NO_ONE_CARES_)

1. Launch of "Bipolar" mission to Eve's poles! Have you ever seen  Eve's poles? Or how does it feel to reenter near them? One word: KSP-ish

wvWz2zr.png 6FGV63i.png

e6TuvBM.png 57eGXdy.png

2. Launch of "Virgo" to an asteroid captured by gravity of Kerbin- "Quitoxick". Have i ever told you that asteroids could be fun? If i did, don't trust me. (they are quite boring sometimes)

MGlz2d3.png  yBjdi6d.png

57eGXdy.png 8Eof9zm.png

3. Landing of the "Chance-2" near the Mun base! The "Chance" mission has a goal of delivering 6 kerbals to the Mun! And this goal is already completed.. Now will try to to return all 6 kerbals from the Mun!

VOk8YC9.png 8Yaw1Pa.png

yoWnd7u.png

4. The new SSTO has been made! - "Voron" (Eng:Crow). So fast i almost left the SOI of Kerbin in the first try! And of course it carried a small payload- "Cetera" satellite.

gHylDlD.png fCZ9TvO.png

That is it for now! Stay tuned because i still have 3 misiions pictured and completed (I won't post them because i don't want to flood you with pics)

Music: No man's sky soundtrack.

Edited by cratercracker
I'm such a dumbo sometimes.

12 hours ago, Bornholio said:

This must be so hard for you. Loosing a Czech beer is always a tragedy. 

The keyboard goes in the dish washing machine on quick/rinse, small amount of mild dish washing detergent (like dawn), make sure drying cycle is off.  If you want a light petroleum lubricant can be used in the actuator sockets of any keys that get cleaned too well (squeaky).  I've cleaned dozens of keyboards this way.  Coke is the worst, circuit board etching corrosive stuff.  Beer gets real gummy if you wait though.

Something like this.

0B3qoiv.jpg

We put a bunch of the keyboards in the office dishwasher a couple of years ago. All came out fine, but took them out and left them to dry over the weekend before using them.

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Let me introduce you to coffee, light and sweet (cream and sugar). You can add that to the list. :/

A year or so ago, it was tomato soup (made with milk) here.  That keyboard never did fully recover, even with a full key removal cleaning.

Took picture for challenge and left plane on start of runway, came back to this sneaky stand-up guy spy. Should I do timelapse of his journey?
20170412171934_1.jpg
Edit: Just caught him running away
20170412173535_1.jpg

Edited by Numerlor

Continued waiting for 1.3 to drop... somehow steam up-dated me to 1.3 pre-release... and everything I want to try right now requires Kopernicus to work :P

Right now, I want to: Scale up most of the kerbin system by 3x (will use sigma dimensions), with atmospheric height increased by 1.5x

This should put orbital velocity at LKO at around 4 km/s (will lower heating multiplier to compensate). If my calculations are in the ballpark, my previous massive SSTO designs that put well over 150 tons in LKO should be able to get about 60 tons to LKO... and hopefully Kerbin will stop seeming like Tiny Planet from Rick and Morty (while watching that Episode, I just couldn't help but think of Kerbin)

Only a minor scale up to the sun's dimensions, but a large increase to its mass (most KSP bodies are about 1/10th their analogue's mass and dimensions, Kerbol is about 1/3rd the Sun's dimensions, and about 1/100th its mass).

Include OPM, include my mod planet Rald+ modified Duna system.

Switch the orbit of Mun and Minmus, as minmus's orbit is a closer analogue to the Moon

Dres won't get scaled up 1/3, it was already too big. I will also add non-scaled up Vesta and Pallas analogues that I've made already.

7 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Continued waiting for 1.3 to drop... somehow steam up-dated me to 1.3 pre-release... and everything I want to try right now requires Kopernicus to work :P

Right now, I want to: Scale up most of the kerbin system by 3x (will use sigma dimensions), with atmospheric height increased by 1.5x

This should put orbital velocity at LKO at around 4 km/s (will lower heating multiplier to compensate). If my calculations are in the ballpark, my previous massive SSTO designs that put well over 150 tons in LKO should be able to get about 60 tons to LKO... and hopefully Kerbin will stop seeming like Tiny Planet from Rick and Morty (while watching that Episode, I just couldn't help but think of Kerbin)

Only a minor scale up to the sun's dimensions, but a large increase to its mass (most KSP bodies are about 1/10th their analogue's mass and dimensions, Kerbol is about 1/3rd the Sun's dimensions, and about 1/100th its mass).

Include OPM, include my mod planet Rald+ modified Duna system.

Switch the orbit of Mun and Minmus, as minmus's orbit is a closer analogue to the Moon

Dres won't get scaled up 1/3, it was already too big. I will also add non-scaled up Vesta and Pallas analogues that I've made already.

All you have to do is opt out of the prerelease and puts you back to 1.2.2... even if it accidentally updated you, prerelease is never a permenant update

Edited by Galileo