What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

This is my first try to post something here, so I hope everything will be fine.:D

My Duna Lander Mission arrived at Duna and entered into an orbit.

My Objectives for the mission:

-Science data from space high over Duna & Ike

-Science data from space near Duna

-Land at Duna

-Plant a flag on Duna

-Return to Kerbin

1f5DBEw.jpg

Nice mission and welcome to the forums

Started a new career mode game with Bluedog Design Beauru, Tantares, Ven's Stock Revamp, and a tech tree mod I forget the name of (I think it was historical progression?). Link in my signature as I am now on my tablet instead of on my computer - but, a quick, uninteresting summary - two competing Kerbal nations launch two different satellites at the dawn of the Space Race.

6 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

snip

Juhu, ein Landsmann - Willkommen im Forum. Ein toller Einstand!   -   Yippee, a compatriot - Welcome to the forum. A great start!

@all

I did that today.
The probe for the Tarsiss 6 Expedition has mastered its first stages.

Departure to Thalia, breaking for Orbit.

ktuUSgl.jpg

Orbit around Eta

UQiFvGp.jpg

Landing on Eta to refuel

rsfJEKN.jpg

X2uh86W.jpg

Icarus landing

Dr7pe49.jpg

3uaFIAB.jpg

Departure to ETA to refuel - it is getting hot (again)

RyR2PXb.jpg

The probe is currently on the way to Tellumo.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

19 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

<snip>

Ah this brings back childhood memories! :) I loved that movie as a little kid... DANGIT YOU'VE GOTTEN THE SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!

I've switched myself over to the dev version of FAR. I have generally tried to build my aircraft in a semi-reasonable manner, so most of the ones I've looked at so far function fine with realistic aerodynamics, it's simply a matter of resetting the controls and knowing what the limits of my planes are now.

2017-04-12%2017-33-37.png

Though I have been experimenting with some things that aren't so reasonable.

2017-04-13%2017-02-47.png

I was worried that the leading edge control surfaces would be ripped off if I tried using them. I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't. It wasn't particularly maneuverable though.

I've also been testing my career mode craft to be sure that they won't tumble and disintegrate when I return to things there.

2017-04-13%2019-31-24.png

I ended up having to intentionally put this spaceplane in a tumble on reentry as I was overshooting the KSC and it just did not want to slow down. I was later able to glide all the way back by the same token of low drag.

2017-04-13%2020-03-02.png

I was amazed when my E-50A Triton functioned well enough to fly without any changes. However, as can be seen in this picture, the rotors were spinning much faster than normal, putting immense strain on the bearings. In fact you can see some fragments of shaft protection shroud being thrown thrown out by excessive vibration. Anyways, minor blade changes, mainly increasing the blade pitch, allowed the thing to function more or less normally at low speed. I'm going to need to increase the separation between the rotors though, because the blades apparently become prone to colliding with each other at moderate to high speeds. I should probably also seal up the engine compartment as realistic aerodynamics will allow significant drag reduction on the inner mechanics.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Val couldnt resist buzzing the tower....

2sy4M39.jpg

She would be grounded if we werent so short handed on pilots.... (no really I have 3 pilots TOTAL in my program, and 1 in on a long term assignment.)

FmmTG0K.jpg

Good ol' simple fighters... they do a lot of my testing work.

Today i lost 4 brave kerbonauts to the silly mistake of forgeting the night is 3 Kerbin days long on the mun while playing with a life support mod.

By the time i realized my new munar settlement would be out of solar energy for 18 hours with only 1 hour of energy storage, it was too late. The closest rescue ship was orbiting Minmus and the one i sent from Kerbin did not make it in time. When the rescuer found them, they had died of exposure, their lovely kerbal smiles frozen for eternity.

Rest in peace Bill, Valentina and the two others whose name i forgot. Your flags have been placed near the launch pad, along Jebediah's, the only victim martyr of our space program so far, who thought it would be a good idea to board an intercontinental missile in order to get a sample of the far away tundra biome.

Your bravery shall not be forgotten.

So say we all.

Edited by kermand

A new space telescope was launched to continue the work of it's little brother. KerbScope 2 is positioned at the edge of Kerbin SOI and tasked with obtaining shots of Duna which will be blown up to poster size as a incentive to the planning department.

screenshot174_zpsoydamdvu.png

It also carries 3 relay antenna 'cos relays are the new boosters.

Work continues on near Kerbin infrastructure with the first components of the new MoMbase's arriving. Initially on Mun.

screenshot173_zpswisfmduy.png

Followed by the slightly modified V2.1 on Minmus.

screenshot172_zpscjvglhyi.png

Whilst performing adequately thoughts are already turning to building a sturdier version with better cross terrain capability for Duna. To carry it a 5m version of Deliverance has been sketched out on the back of a napkin. Although a 10m version has also been pondered on.... The new system would also allow the transport of ready assembled exploration rovers meaning a fully working and stocked base can be deployed before any Kerbal sets foot on the red planet.

The Tarsiss 6 expedition arrived today at Tellumo.

0GC8Gk2.jpg

Now the spaceplane for Tellumo has to be assembled. For this I use the claw, because the rear part of
the spaceplane has no Probecore and also no RCS to maneuver.

Q1gIJsp.jpg

I dock the claw, decouple the drivetrain and maneuver the whole thing away from the probe.
Nso1s3A.jpg

Then I turn the probe and decouple the front part of the spaceplane.

OJ9q2Dn.jpg

Assembly of the spaceplane in orbit. The claw then returns to the probe.

LyJE2EH.jpg

Ignition of the engines for descent. This is followed by the unfolding of the heat shield and the discarding of the braking engines.
K3Zj9Sx.jpg

When I enter the atmosphere I activate the Airbrakes otherwise the spaceplane will turn forward, which would not end well.
eWAMsOW.jpg

After the parachutes are released, the spaceplane turns forward. Immediately after that I release the
heat shield and the airbrakes. Then the parachutes and glide to the ground.

v8fD3bz.jpg

landed
AsEDpUU.jpg

Since I can not do anything on the surface (I have not taken any instruments with me), I start again right away.
792Ks9R.jpg

I build up speed, pull up the nose, change into the closed mode and ignite the dart.
HdAknCD.jpg

When the tanks are empty at the Rapiers, they are thrown away together with the Rapiers.
kIvHmKc.jpg

The rest flies into the orbit with over 1000m/s dV left.

b4zFRmB.jpg

The rest of the Spaceplane is now to dock at the probe again, refuel on Lilli and then go to Gratian. There it can be used as SSTO.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

I found a nice new rover - Feline rover parts by @Nils277

Unusually and nicely so even stock it comes with couplings and train-like bits :) a plus for me

a little bit of modifications to the wheels, mostly speed and suspension limits - these are issues with KSP itself not the rover parts.. limitations of a space game designed for space and rovers forced to be a train simulator :)

Of course I made it into a land train.. it comes with an IVA.. ticking the final box to become a mainline land train of the KTP

its been quite some time since ive seriously driven a land train outside of KSC.. 

shadows on trees are fixed, gaps in terrain are smaller now. things are on the mend for KSP and trains

QH9Nith.jpg

Ahhh... the addictive isolating sadness.. that feeling of being the only living thing on a planet deviod of life, the land train and her crew.. all thats left of kerbal society.. heading towards KSP2 in the faint hope that someones alive.. somewhere.. its something not quite depressive but.. thought provoking.. 

More than an online game without any players with an empty map.. 

Kerbins isolation.. seen from the ground.. seen from the cab of a train.. where the driver has to consider all  wagons and train state constantly, nurse it. care for it.. take great care in navigating the terrain.. because the land train herself is all that there is..

a civilisation on the shoulders of the driver.. the train represents hope and sadness all at once

PPZWAZU.png

I never get tired of that feeling.. 

Edited by Overland