What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

In my Career save, I decided to take up some defence contracts. I started with my ship-board fighter, the F/A-18 Legacy Hornet:

screenshot37.png

screenshot40.png

After having no luck with bombing, I decided I needed a new breed of Multi-role aircraft. Just as the USAF did, I tried out both the F-15E Strike Eagle and F-16XL.

I scrapped the aesthetic side of the Strike Falcon, as the second I took off, wing panels sprung off the aircraft in every which way.

screenshot42.png

screenshot43.png

I removed all of the useless bits and hooked it up with 6 Cluster bombs, 6 Snake Eye low altitude bombs and 6 unguided bombs, I was ready.

screenshot50.png

screenshot54.png

screenshot73.png

After using ALL of my bombs, I'd only taken out one target :blush:. I like to think I'm pretty good at flying planes, and after 5 or 6 years of KSP I'd hope so, and yet I was having no luck with my bombing runs. And then, while trying to drop a Snake Eye low over the target, I was hit by an unguided missile, bringing Deedee and Bill crashing to the ground, injured but not dead.

screenshot75.png

I figured stepping up my game would help bring an end to insanity, but my solution only made it worse. I rolled a workhorse of WWII out, a shell fit with new technology. 

screenshot82.png

screenshot81.png

My B-47 Stratojet was packed full of ordinance, ready to rain hell on that darn Mobile Missile Battery.

screenshot92.png

screenshot83.png

After carpet-bombing the area, dropping six bombs at a time, I finally took down one target and moved on to the other two, about 10km away.

screenshot85.png

I arrived quickly, and the second I was in-range the sky was bombarded by unguided missiles.

screenshot88.png

I bombed consistently, and soon ducked down to under 1000m to do a low-altitude run. Val rolled out of the way of one missile only to have another collide violently just behind the cockpit, bringing their attack to an end...

Been flying 10k missions again, procedural tanks new for this save (they're not really needed normally other than for looks, but I need the extra fuel space!)

First satellite 

ABrEtRh.png5hcwxQV.png

(big boosters for tiny payloads :) )

Later on (much later, I've set science to 50% so it's pretty grueling!) I ran a lunar flyby with a modified Calliope capsule (ranger configuration) instead of a crew compartment it has an orbital module (USI-LS for hab time) and triple the fuel! Launched on a Mu-IV heavy (about 15 tonnes to LKO)

Sent crew and experiments up to olympus (after unlocking 3.75m parts I put up a science station, took a while)

JUPSwFM.pngCalliope-2 so less dv, but more crew!

RV7sSW1.pngGem-1 which has two crew and an experiment transfer module for the Mole lab

Both docked to Olympus station

dDfPwoR.png(I find that truss docking area thing quite satisfying for some reason)

FOmi6BU.png 

Lunar comnet array was put in orbit by Mu-Ia's

4vVMhh8.png(The atlas texture looks great on small rockets @Bornholio:wink:

YAYWY2Z.png 

Now just waiting for another 500 science so I can get rockets big enough to put this in orbit

yxQcviy.png

And then do a few missions (and complete doing it Apollo style in 10k, and maybe apollo applications after whilst I got the infrastructure)

Then after that I've started work on this

B9NPRjD.pngBut this is no where near done! for a start the RCS on this is not balanced and not enough monoprop

Finally the long term goals for this save...

p2bSQHC.pngrRKvz5q.pngSo if you look closely at the images you can see two (one in each image) bright red stars. Those are phoenix and valentine. Career goal is to reach them. Conventional rockets will take over a 1000years to reach them at the most efficient path (which is only about 8,500 dv from LKO) so this save has a few mods to give the speed of light a kicking!

If you now look back through the images you'll see them both sitting there, always good to have a goal that taunts you!

Edited by Kertech

In a fit of enthusiasm and despite the strenuous objections of the finance dept the Deliverance upscale hit the 10m mark.

screenshot179_zpsaeu6huau.png

Faced with a bay with plenty of room for wide track modules but also ample headroom the designers took the only logical course.....

screenshot182_zps8d27xhs6.png

With the test rigs unloading went well except for the roof of the cargo bay having surprisingly sticky qualities. This was easily solved by opening the doors, although how well this will work in very low gravity will require some simulator time soon.

screenshot183_zpsdidi8wdt.png

Well, decided to get some much needed science from Iota today, did a surface flyby and these are some of the shots from the orbit and return to Gael.

On another note I also attempted to put the first module of my space station into orbit after performing a few Kerbal rescues (How do they get themselves into these situations anyways?)

It ended in abject failure (predictably so) I managed to get the payload into orbit, but when I went to perform some adjustments with my tug, I fired the main engines and catapulted myself straight into the new station module, shearing off the solar panels, batteries and antennas..... lol

So I guess that will be tomorrows project (clean up and start over)

OM7zvtm.png

PwFrGsN.png

Iy0tJEc.png

Sometimes you just have to stop and enjoy the sights....

Fly dangerous!

The Dodger

Today the Minmus Portable Lab came down from the highlands to deploy a set of science equipment on the slopes, and later on on the great flats.

XylM3tB.png

I also launched my first ever probe towards Moho. After it has collected some science and transmitted it back to Kerbin, it will work as scanning and communication help for future missions. I tried to land to rocket at the KSC, but as it often goes, it landed in the middle of the ocean several thousand kilometers away. :rolleyes:

The last picture in there is my Duna station that made its final correction burn just after the Moho Pioneer had burned towards Moho.

Edited by Flamingo

Finished a workable original (original to me, at least) spaceplane design. It took eight iterations of design and testing  to get something reasonably aerodynamic with the right crew capacity and feature set, and could get to orbit without completely flipping or exploding. I can even land it. It flies slightly better than a brick with wings, but then so did the NASA Space Shuttle vehicle. I call it a win!

Spoiler

Wo9UCpI.png

o8Ud0S5.png

t7G8R3C.png

Vj1P0fr.png

aLT4ZOP.png

Not the prettiest thing, but it works!

Instead of continuing my mostly stock career, I found me playing more to my heavily modded GPP career.

Today I finally assembled my first outpost. The outpost is located on Iota. It was created mainly to complete two contracts (outpost on Iota, and ore extraction from Iota), and to boost research by having a lab on the ground there.

Slowly getting better at SSTO planes. Now I don't need RAPIER engine so far. And I have a plane for it as well: 25209961E6285BA6ED73197BF30E5B6DAB4F92FD

The only problem with it is. It does bounces when landing. Just means I need to make sure it does not hit as hard and likely it was terrain causing some of the bounce. Dispite landing near the KSC runway. Either I need to reduce the springieness to help reduce the bounce. Or try for softer landing which will take a lot of practice on my part. Edit: The other problem is the MK1 inline comes very close to over heating. Might need to use a radiator as a makeexcrements heat shield.

Edited by Aragosnat

2 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Need help with sea planes. Is there any thread helping out? If not, maybe someone can give me here some examples or tips because I fail every time.

mods with seaplane floats (Rated ~100m/s).  or improvised landing plates (high impact tolerance parts)

Very good level control so you can trim out very low drop speed. high lift planes work better  because if you can get below 60m/s in flat flight you should be able to land fine.

After ... what, more than a month? I finished up Dres station tonight. Brought in the science lander, the mining rig, and Klamath, inflated the main hab, ready for operations. Klamath had to dock "upside down" but this is space so no big deal.

iLr403y.png

i9JfDgD.png

jHYwtfP.png

I put a station in orbit around Minmus in my heavily modded career

vPOJsLD.png

Beautiful night launch

More pics

q6IHQ1k.png

bszrZiS.png

Sunrise

VDpBSby.png

XDWNYJO.png

Orbital insertion at Minmus

vbqyrEG.png

fcZm7nX.png

Minmus in foreground with Kerbin and the Mun visible to the left center and Trao visible a little to the right

X7Sqtwe.png

3 hours ago, Agustin said:

You absolutely do not need mods to make seaplanes.  Almost everything in KSP is extremely buoyant, including Mk0 fuel tanks full of fuel (my usual wingtip floats) - in fact it's quite a feat to get something to sink.

Bornholio is right that you'd like to have a lot of lift so you can have a very gentle descent rate - it's fairly easy to explode nose cones and intakes on hitting the water, as you don't get the usual shock absorber effect of landing gear on the runway.  

But also consider that most planes launch from the runway by rotating on their rear landing gear, temporarily gaining a big angle of attack and tons of lift.  Seaplanes are less likely to be able to do that, meaning you need to generate a lot of lift at a level attitude.  And drag on the plane is much greater in the water than on the runway, so you are going to be moving slower.  Static angle of incidence on the wings, more than normal wing area, hydrofoil lifting surfaces, deployable flaps, VTOL jets, rocket assist motors, a pulse of RAPIER rocket power - there are many ways to attack the problem with stock parts.  It's a pretty fun challenge.

Speaking of which - here's a recent thread on SSTO seaplanes on the Spacecraft Exchange subforum.  Not much activity yet, but I posted up one I'm working on

Edited by fourfa

Update for the Tarsiss 6 Expedition.

Today the 4th of 6 conditions were fulfilled. The probe landed on Jannah.

Here is a picture of the arrival in the Otho system

6127JYl.jpg

Reaching the orbit around Jannah.

ShbyyYy.jpg

Descent to the surface.

OgNeRRM.jpg

landed

AtPG1Vy.jpg

The probe was completely refueled and is now on the way to Gauss. There the spaceplane is to land on Tasrsiss and then on Catullus.

I spent last night building shuttles (was humming "every night I'm shuttling"...) 

Wyvern 1

S8eSOcv.jpgTitchy little one, but then my biggest rocket in this save can only lift 15tonnes. I'll probably use it mainly cause those wings look great! :) But it's kind of a white elephant

Then something bigger, The Wyvern 2

TiEsmtx.jpgGets to orbit with 1,800m/s, full docking capabilities, yet to test deorbiting though.

aHsBmkb.jpgGonna need to make it a docking gantry though, it was a bit hairy trying to get it on the flush docking port and s currently blocking all bar the top port.

My spaceplane, which is/was on Catullus, has reached orbit again today.

All the biomes are explored, the spaceplane is refueled and parked at the
equator. I have tried to find a place as high as possible, which makes the start easier. In the
tests, however, I also managed to get to Orbit at places with less than 1500m altitude. I check
again the order as the tanks are emptied, the staging and emptying the ore tanks to be as easy as possible.

F0UDaFq.jpg

kHxcqSl.jpg

NHBEdIL.jpg

Ui4kw5N.jpg

Here is the link to a more detailed description.

A Journey to Gauss

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

9 hours ago, Agustin said:

SXT Has a nice modular set that has a snap together center float and outrigger.  It has lots of parts but it is pretty lightweight texture wise.

As @fourfa said you can even do it stock. 

Some people are doing a one way seaplane (landing only) but if take off is critical then make sure you have the surface contact bits mostly ahead of the CoM so you can take off without needing excessive forward velocity.

Alternately Improved Aero surfaces like flaps or deployed control surfaces to change your effective AoA help. 

I finally delivered texture switching to my Airline Kuisine parts for TAC LS and USI LS.

U2NjEou.jpg

fIXhqYu.jpg

Then I designed and launched a SpaceDock. It's been too long since I've had things built in orbit. Since I had to deal with unreal drag I kept my TWR at 1.6 and ascent speed under Mach 1 until about 20km up. this station will be the spawn point for modules for a Ceti surface base.

HyWYYLB.jpg lQrfjmJ.jpg YgPF2ss.jpg 16Uk7GY.jpg

KerJtuO.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar