What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

mountains altitude is calculated multiplying the original altitude by Resize first and by lanscape second.

which means with your cfg the mountains are 3*1.5 times bigger than stock (4.5x)

if you wanted them to be 1.5x you would have to set landscape to 0.5 so that 3*0.5 = 1.5

I figured that out and pretty much said that in a later post :P

Here's some other mountains that I properly resized... I started playing with my Rald planet 3x sized up, with mountain height set to 0.5... which makes the vertical slopes/ the vertical exaggeration actually quite close to the real thing.... also on to my post of what I did recently

bnd9UNX.png

Ph7mZEC.png

0Za7rb6.png

I abandoned my previous Rald SSTO design in favor of one with liftjets internally carrier (doubling wing area would be more mass efficient, but I don't want to clip parts too much, that many wings would be ugly, and it would be difficult to launch which comes into play later). I also wanted it to have some crew capacity, and an external docking port for easy non-claw refueling in orbit. So, here was the testing:

Spoiler

E5tVR1t.png

peZ0IDC.png

(I need to re enable ground scatter in my settings)

ekuaJRs.png

The tubes on the side of the orange tank clip through a bit when the bay doors close, I'll accept this for the price of making the docking port location compatible with the KPBS mod's surface module parts and the rovers I want to use for both.

M3Ej2ni.png

WlQirpm.png

(I put the orange tank back in there for the payload test)

liftoff:

JthVTCy.png

azUv7ht.png

Q7e7CXq.png

I had hoped a fuel tank payload would enable the rald-ssto to make it to Kerbin LKO where it could be refueled... but I kept coming up short, and as I tweaked the design to try and make it into a kerbin-ssto, it became way too heavy and underpowered for a Rald landing/takeoff (underpowered because of thin air and a high takeoff speed, even small bumps in the terrain become catastrophic). It just couldn't make it to orbit on its own, no matter what I put in the payload bay. I think there were some drag problems wih the mk3 cargobay not properly shielding contents/ parts behind it from drag... but even ignoring that, I decided not to make more design compromises to enable it to SSTO from kerbin. I tried "strap on" recoverable SSTOs to attach to it like I've done for stock Duna transports and such... but in this 3x rescale, I couldn't make them work - each one barely being able to get itself to orbit, much less carry some payload. So... I stuck it on top of a rocket:

The Lower SRB and mammoth stage

S3lM1CV.png

Spoiler

The next stage goes straight up the rear end of the Rald SSTO:

c59tVvb.png

and the Rald-SSTO finishes the orbit and has ~900 m/s of dV left.... not enough to go anywhere in this scaled up system. With this launch method, one can imagine the problems that would be caused by doubling wing area...

4jjRB03.png

I also began expanding my LKO station:

Spoiler

A heavy duty tug/ejector stage to get payloads from the station to a transfer trajectory to their destination... the higher dV of this system makes the use of more stages mandatory

g9HM2gI.png

4SJN525.png

I then added a dedicated fuel depot section, as always, by SSTO unless otherwise stated.

Jd4AV7O.png

3TLoGkg.png

0GcdS3I.png

Yea... in this scaled up system... I couldn't lift those things full, so I had to cut their fuel loads, or use some of the fuel on ascent:

eB9b3Yd.png

(I think I had the LF tank right by that one monoprop tank completely filled, its not shown in the pic though)

With the station complete enough (plan to add a faux centrifuge section, and top off the tanks), I started preparing surface bases for Mun

3 modules lifted to orbit:

UHH7OIO.png

Spoiler

A fuel depot for the base, and the rovers needed to move the modules in and out of cargobays/link the modules on the surface

WMhBOus.png

I also did a crew transfer to the mining module I had sent to minmus, without a crew, it was mining really slow, and I needed it to top off the dropship that would carry those modules to the surface of Mun

Spoiler

il83s1T.png

Its also carrying life support for the mining vessel^

mxkjr4t.png

So uh... yea... the mining vessel as dropped off in LKO didn't have enough fuel to make it to minmus, capture, and land, so I used the first ejector payload I had released to get it to low Minmus orbit... then I figured.... I can land them together and fuel them up together, so I'll carry more fuel to orbit on the first trip back up... that's why it looks so funky.

Also, some funny astronomy in this modified system... I swapped mun and minmus orbits... this is Mun:

Tg6D2Xt.png

Believe it or not... that's about the size it should appear to be a proper moon analogue. Also, that's about the same angular size as Minmus is now that minmus orbits where Mun previously would... no longer is it just a few pixels in the skye

I also rescaled the sun's diameter (and modified surface G to compensate), but normally its not visible due to the flare effects... well that is until there was a minmus eclipse:

ZEwi1Ge.png

Minmus doesn't cast such a big shadow... but its big enough to block the sun almost completely

uFDiyFv.png

Es3e7Oy.png

^ FYI, that craft is just a small tug for loading the surface modules into the mk3 service bays while the craft is in orbit.

On kerbin I've been trialing Pathfinder, mixed with USI-LS and EPL (plus others) Trying to work out how Little I could send to a planet to have a semi functioning colony (mainpurpose being to make supplies and new crafts).

First off my design for an atmospheric base starter pack (vacuum needs boosters!)

S5RmsAg.jpgLife support only lasts about 60 days, but that's okay....

next goal to over engineer a base to get it fully functional!

first I shoved a starter module on a rocket and slung it north over booster bay

uelaujV.jpgMU6tdv1.jpgo3A9DxV.jpgNext build sometrailers packed with pathfinder stuff and hook it up to my buffalo

dIMkVM5.jpg Then drive for two hours

cviRciu.jpg(goodold rover autopilot though gonna put bon voyage in methinks)

Then send Bill on along EVA (where you learn to enable no crash damage due to weird exploding glitch) 

VBJQPBD.jpgAll in all a satisfying base for little planning

PV7MYL4.jpgEcxeKyh.jpgNow strippingit back to the minimum!

In other parts of the program the Wyvern 2 was christened the Dianna and landed

O2WWY0U.jpgqLaLJH2.jpgWith her success two new Wyvern 2a's wereordered, alongside a 2b (bigger cargo bay now docking or extra crew) 2c (nuclear engine able to go to Mun and minmus) and 2 light were ordered (wyvern 3 is being developed from mk3 peices, but considering KCT expects it to take 100 days to build, better wait some). The 2light was finished quickly and completed a tourist LKO mission as planned

U7sAhHh.jpg

Lastly I finally did my first 10k mun landing, with @akron's awesome new lander parts

fkk6kOX.jpg

Launched an Identical mission to minmus, though accidentally picked a slow trajectory so gonna have to wait for 40 days!

Happy Flying everyone!

Edited by Kertech

Took a 3-man lander to Ceti.  Cool looking place!  Getting loads of science and fulfilling some contracts. First time there with a lander, I'm more of a probe guy.

Last screenie is a keeper.

Edited by klesh

34 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heh, you even got the obligatory "turret flying up into the air." :cool:

Yes товарищ, we showed those kapitalist stand-up guys not so nice people ! ^_^

I love you moderators... :lol:

Edited by Triop

Hi guys,

Today, I made 2 Minnmus science satellites. I also made my first career Eve/Gilly probe.

Spoiler

The probe burnt up in Eve's atmosphere, but I did that on purpose because of Kessler Syndrome.

Regards,

mabdi36

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Tested a cargo plane based on an earlier model and an airdrop system.

That is verrrrry nice indeed.  Beautiful wing profile and a lovely location for an air drop!  I played around with using LY-05 landing gear to roll the cargo out the back with a lot of success previously.  Looks like you've perfected it though.  Interested in more detail if you feel like providing!

Today I messed around with a couple of designs, and ended up with a Very Personal Jet.

I also had time to start developing a little mini sub:

N66Vyxh.jpg

SM

@Speeding Mullet I don't mind providing a bit more detail.

The basic pallet rides on several sets of LY-05 wheels on decouplers. There are three sets of 4 wheels, one on the front, middle, and end.

r0dYKx1.png

When staged, the decoupler at the back decouples, freeing the rest of the pallet which is attached to a drogue chute. The drogue chute pulls it out of the craft to a distance where the rest of the chutes can deploy. The wheels are also decoupled at this point, mainly because if there is a buggy or rover of some sort, it would be kinda difficult to jump off of the pallet.

5jpQ2JD.png

So technically, it doesn't really work like the ones used by the military, but it does produce the same effect.

The craft file is also on KerbalX, if you want to personally take a look.

Came up short trying to land at the KSC.  Was returning from a rescue mission.   When I realized I was going to land horribly in the mountains, I did a quick save, thinking I could reload and power through to land on the plains if the first try went south.    Well, I didn't quicksave with enough altitude, so I ended making many attempts to save this one, mainy because Jeb, Val, and Bill were running this one.   Eventually I made a "landing" near one of the summits, and the chutes kept me gently sliding down the face.   For ever.  Eventually the chutes went away, and I was afraid of a another steep hill ahead, so I eva'd as quick as I could. 

cmwFScU.gif

UZNF6nk.png