What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well then, yesterday, KSP decided that it was about time to wreck my craft file. After editing and saving I continuously got a null reference error and with a 400+ part vessel, it just isn't fun to browse through the craft file in order to find out what reference is causing the problem. So, I started re-engineering the entire vessel from scratch by using two instances of KSP, one to load the craft to look at the details and one to actually rebuild the vessel.

Was kind of an experience from the slideshow point of view. I mean, it was about the first time ever, I got my CPU to a 4x75% load for a continuous amount of time....

So yeah, if you really want to know what your computer /can/ do, then simply start playing KSP simultaneously in 3 or 4 instances...

In my Kerbal universe, Rusty Star Rockets is the arch rival and bitter enemy of the Kerbal Space Agency.  Originally founded by Jeb as an amateur rocket group, it lost its founder when the KSA poached him away to join them.  This caused much resentment in the RSR and the hatred towards the KSA can be traced back to this point.  However as the KSA started achieving success in space exploration, RSR struggled to raise funds for even the simplest of missions, until finally they were facing bankruptcy.  And that really should have been the end of the RSR story, except...  

As they were clearing out the cabin which was their office, reception, research centre... the RSR Kerbals discovered an old plan Jeb had dreamed up and forgotten about years earlier.  It was for a vessel that could be used to rescue stranded capsules and ships in LKO.  It was soon realised it could be used for more than just rescue by the RSR however, and so was born the Vulture.

This is the spacecraft that has kept RSR afloat - just.  It's used to salvage (and steal) technology launched by the KSA, bring it back to Kerbin so the technology can be researched and stolen, or the captured craft patched up and added to the RSR inventory.  A few pics:

H9wmcyh.png

A Vulture on the prowl in LKO

IpTtxae.pngA target is sighted...

2we6X0z.pngOpen wide...

GtyAX6h.pngAnother piece of space junk about to be removed.

iqUHJtY.pngCapture almost complete.

3jRijNt.pngGotcha!

w7y5LRz.pngReentry requires a lot of parachutes with the additional weight.

NbOPdXI.pngDrogue chutes fully deployed, main chutes (stolen from KSA!) partially deployed...

NzNTe83.pngAfter splashdown and awaiting recovery!

Currently research is being conducted into making as much of the launch vehicle as reusable as possible.  In addition rumours of a Vulture powered by cheaper SRB's on its way to orbit have been heard throughout Kerbin.

It's only fair that it's pointed out that although the KSA does have a much greater record of achievement in space research, RSR has managed a few firsts of its own!  The biggest milestone was to put into orbit the first probe to be powered by an ion engine.  Unfortunately their technical Kerbals accidentally placed a decimal point in the wrong place while calculating the amount of electric charge such a system would require.  The launch went smoothly enough, then the ion drive was powered up, the batteries were drained within seconds and the thing couldn't be shut down again.  Who knows where it is today several months later..? 

Edited by The Flying Kerbal
Message was duplicated.

So I wanted to make something like this:

Kfd-205-N408KC-050430-05.jpg

I found a two bladed rotor to create so much vibration that I couldn't take off, so I ended up with a 3 bladed design that looks like this.

2017-04-26%2020-19-46.png

It flew once briefly in unmanned form.

Now my engineers are afraid to go near it, calling it spawn of the Kraken.

2017-04-26%2020-28-57.png

Upon placement on the runway it violently hurls itself partway into the ground blowing lots of stuff up.

2017-04-26%2020-23-07.png

Then the weird stuff starts happening. There are some cubic struts and other parts floating off into oblivion, in complete defiance of gravity. Others orbiting around the wreckage. Many are bent in a tangled mess. Some of those orbiting struts are going through walls.

The grabber is actually the cargo bay that comes with the Rusty Star Rockets mod.

5 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heh... this totally reminds me from that one scene in Explorers...

anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just that old?

I have no idea what Explorers is so can't comment, but it reminds me of how Blofield grabbed the spaceships in the 007 filme "You Only Live Twice"

1 hour ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

In my Kerbal universe, Rusty Star Rockets is the arch rival and bitter enemy of the Kerbal Space Agency.  Originally founded by Jeb as an amateur rocket group, it lost its founder when the KSA poached him away to join them.  This caused much resentment in the RSR and the hatred towards the KSA can be traced back to this point.  However as the KSA started achieving success in space exploration, RSR struggled to raise funds for even the simplest of missions, until finally they were facing bankruptcy.  And that really should have been the end of the RSR story, except...  

As they were clearing out the cabin which was their office, reception, research centre... the RSR Kerbals discovered an old plan Jeb had dreamed up and forgotten about years earlier.  It was for a vessel that could be used to rescue stranded capsules and ships in LKO.  It was soon realised it could be used for more than just rescue by the RSR however, and so was born the Vulture.

This is the spacecraft that has kept RSR afloat - just.  It's used to salvage (and steal) technology launched by the KSA, bring it back to Kerbin so the technology can be researched and stolen, or the captured craft patched up and added to the RSR inventory.  A few pics:

H9wmcyh.png

A Vulture on the prowl in LKO

IpTtxae.pngA target is sighted...

2we6X0z.pngOpen wide...

GtyAX6h.pngAnother piece of space junk about to be removed.

iqUHJtY.pngCapture almost complete.

3jRijNt.pngGotcha!

w7y5LRz.pngReentry requires a lot of parachutes with the additional weight.

NbOPdXI.pngDrogue chutes fully deployed, main chutes (stolen from KSA!) partially deployed...

NzNTe83.pngAfter splashdown and awaiting recovery!

Currently research is being conducted into making as much of the launch vehicle as reusable as possible.  In addition rumours of a Vulture powered by cheaper SRB's on its way to orbit have been heard throughout Kerbin.

It's only fair that it's pointed out that although the KSA does have a much greater record of achievement in space research, RSR has managed a few firsts of its own!  The biggest milestone was to put into orbit the first probe to be powered by an ion engine.  Unfortunately their technical Kerbals accidentally placed a decimal point in the wrong place while calculating the amount of electric charge such a system would require.  The launch went smoothly enough, then the ion drive was powered up, the batteries were drained within seconds and the thing couldn't be shut down again.  Who knows where it is today several months later..? 

Rumor has it that KSA knew that Rusty Star Rockets stole the main chute, but didn't do anything because they felt bad for the poor, failing company.

We send a single Mig 21 to take back control of the Island.

aG4FRdN.png

When it got there 2 T-50's came to intercept...

The island is back in our control, Jeb took down 2 T-50 before getting killed.

RIP Jeb....He fought for freedom and democracy (or something like that).

1 T-50 made it, we need to plan another attack before they reinforce...

HMwvZiT.png

Edited by Triop

Well I decided to explore kerbin for anomalies on my hardcore career mode. I apparently left scansat window open a little too long and while I wasn't there to monitor my plane, Mirbeth K. gleefully flew into the side of a mountain.

4 minutes ago, Kuansenhama said:

Well I decided to explore kerbin for anomalies on my hardcore career mode. I apparently left scansat window open a little too long and while I wasn't there to monitor my plane, Mirbeth K. gleefully flew into the side of a mountain.

I wish you would have pressed F1 during Mirbetth's wonderful crash and uploaded it on Imgur so we could all see it here, yes this is a long sentence. ^_^

Edited by Triop

(Yesterday)

DoqS7T9.png?1

I spent some time flying my YF-23 and F-22 around. Using my dogfighting technique, I determined that the YF-23 sucks at dogfighting, but is faster (exactly like the real thing) than the F-22 in non-afterburning flight.

YxPFFrK.png?1

I also spent a bit of time attempting to refuel my F-22 in midair using my KC-46. It went just as well as my other aerial refueling attempts did (which is to say, close, but no cigar.)

dtxwMQx.png

It did prove that my probe-and-drogue system is working, which is exciting.

2 hours ago, The Moose In Your House said:

Rumor has it that KSA knew that Rusty Star Rockets stole the main chute, but didn't do anything because they felt bad for the poor, failing company.

That's no rumour, it really did happen.  However attitudes changed at the KSA after security staff discovered RSR Kerbals raiding the stores and R&D department, shoving extremely delicate cutting edge technology (and snacks) into boxes and hurling them over the fence.

Well, pausing land based exploits for the moment, I tried to make a horizontal space shuttle (for both the weekly challenge and space shuttle challenge). I forgot to add kerbals, but did successfully get into orbit and survive reentry (apart from crashing into the ground)

LC0SyWU.png

pbWkPDU.png

Y8r3Cym.png

z1Ovbus.png

Edited by qzgy

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heh... this totally reminds me from that one scene in Explorers...

anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just that old?

I know what you're talking about... but unfortunately that doesn't mean we're not still just that old.

That movie spawned so many space travel fantasies for me when I was a kid, but I think I must have fallen asleep mid way, because years later I saw the whole thing and boy does it get weird.

My manned Jool mission returned back to Kerbin.

m6z2RJZ.jpg

Service module separation.

And here you can see all the WorldFirst Milestones. The contract was actually to "Explore Tylo" (orbit Tylo, retun to Kerbin), but the Vall encounter took only ~150m/s, so I thought I could extend the mission.

DhjEHHe.jpg

The mission was a huge success, because both Kerbals are Lvl 3 now, and I got over 1500 science points :). The next mission to the Jool system will be a Vall orbital station, the contract is already accepted...