What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

More MiGs did the trick, we send out 4 (lost 1 on the way to the island because stupid).

3 made it and kicked sum T-50 @$$ ! :cool:

The island is now ours again with 3 MiGs protecting it.

We will start sending reinforcements, cause they might come back....with more fighters. :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Triop said:

More MiGs did the trick, we send out 4 (lost 1 on the way to the island because stupid).

3 made it and kicked sum T-50 @$$ ! :cool:

The island is now ours again with 3 MiGs protecting it.

We will start sending reinforcements, cause they might come back....with more fighters. :rolleyes:

How are setting all this up logistically? Like, every new mission are you loading, flying, and pre-positioning planes one by one?

21 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

How are setting all this up logistically? Like, every new mission are you loading, flying, and pre-positioning planes one by one?

I started flying the T-50s from the KSC to the island. one by one (didn't know wingmen commander yet).

Set them to team B guard mode on.

Then did all the attacks taking off from KSC flying to the island (7 minutes).

I never use F5, if I make a mistake I do revered to launch. I also have VesselMover installed, but I only use it to get ships in the water.

I'm working on a boat that can bring tanks to the island, I did that before, takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there, no speeding up time...:cool:

Came back to KSP after a several-month hiatus. Installed a couple mods I'd been looking at (scatterer, EVE, Cryogenic Engines, NTF, etc.) and off I went, beginning with an overly complicated Mun mission.

I began by building a basic spacecraft around the Mk1-2 just to refresh my memory, but decided to attept to make the first stage reusable, falcon-9 style.

Unfortunately that didn't work out as I accidentally staged instead of pressing Shift, igniting another engine and blowing the first stage to pieces. The first version was forced to re-enter, but the second managed to limp to orbit.

Then I went "hey, let's send these guys to the mun in a big spaceship!"

So I built a second unmanned spaceship to go pick them up around NFSC's PPD-1, and launched that into orbit. This one I also launched Falcon-9 style, and while it went much better, it almost smashed into the ground because I kept a large amount of the fuel intended for a soft landing which I then had to use to slow my descent. 700m/s at 2000m is really quite terrifying when trying to land a huge empty booster.

Unfortunately I decided to test out LH2 as a fuel, which requires a lot of EC for cooling to avoid boil-off and loss of fuel. I didn't realise just how much power it required, and the ship quickly ran out of power in orbit. The problem was, I couldn't turn off the cooling system and allow the batteries to refill because I had no control over it. So it just sat there, being useless. So back to the drawing board, then? No! I built a little RCS-powered module with three gigantors and docking ports on both ends and sent that into orbit, giving it enough power to sustain the cooling system and remaining in control.

Next step was to rendezvous with the crew pod:

And off we went, straight into another setback: I didn't plan my landing location at all which, after a successful transfer and descent ended me up sliding down a hill at 1m/s unable to stop myself even using RCS at full power.

Eventually I decided to relocate to a nice, safe cliff edge.

All this faffing around with rendezvouses (rendezvi?) and relocating left me with less fuel than I originally planned. So now Jeb, Bob and Bill are stuck in a 15km orbit around the Mun until I can get a rescue craft out there. At least they have a lot of space in Nertea's wonderful pod and a nice view.

Probing the space around Venus.

Eva2bC7.pngRn7vFTM.png

Needed a bit high of a curve.  Solids could have been smaller and shorter duration since i wasted Hydrolox later.

SagHOkM.pngfgC8vy0.png

Needed bigger sepatrons, scraped something off as they left.

ghxQXbn.pngXIuxrEq.png

One ignition Hydrolox engines are a pain.  Wasted 1500dV that could have been maneuver fuel at Venus.

nT8zPYP.pngTkGaEI6.png

Circ over africa and Departure several orbits later over Ausieland

na5inZs.pngMOjAgml.png

Alignment for solarpanels and comms set, get ready to set a node for arrival and adjust using remaining Kerolox outside Earth SOI. Left The upper ascent stage in a marker orbit for later planetary missions. (Aligned with Earth/SOL ecliptic)

Some kind of transmission error occurs....

SB6TvMu.pngQEmTvB0.png

Arriving at Venus after accidental KAC click on PE got me a time warp instead of putting in a node.  Had to spam the / key to stop it. almost too late. Made a Brach 3 maneuver capture and then lots of inclination losses.  Lots of work and almost no fuel left to setup the low resolution radar mapping orbit later.

3yzJ5AY.png

SCANSat at a bad altitude.

MFUjCxW.pngrUENVu8.png

Upgrade for Mercury

qe0vQ5O.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

Edited by Bornholio
pics arranged and notes

1 hour ago, joacobanfield said:

I failed a Duna mission. Anyone knows any lander tips for that planet?

Full aerobraking is hard, it is a lot easier to have 2-4k dV to put into a LDO and come in shallow with a heat shield.  500-700dV extra for no heat shield if the craft is reasonably aerodynamic.  Drogues (one) and chutes will slow you and reduce total dV needed for a landing but its not worth Chute landing fully since the atmosphere is so thin.  Minimize chute deploy pressures manually to 0.01.  Mod Realchutes can be setup to deploy by altitude or more decimal places pressure.  chute calculator

The inflatable heat shield can help assuming you don't make a flippy mess. 

If its just a lander (no return) it can be helpful to make a draggy but light wide lander using structural.  You can usually slam those right into Duna with a bay to protect the fragile things and a lightened heat shield.

Now Mars.....  /strugglebus  all I can say is realchutes or ignore using chutes.

I have my lander album for mars

View post on imgur.com
cMSkfnE.png

Edited by Bornholio

1 hour ago, joacobanfield said:

I failed a Duna mission. Anyone knows any lander tips for that planet?

Don't try to slow yourself down using parachutes alone. Unless you're packing an absolutely ridiculous number of them they won't be enough. You can still use them to take care of a lot of your speed, but you're going to have to apply at least a little bit of thrust just before you hit the ground if you want to land in once piece.

2 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

Don't try to slow yourself down using parachutes alone. Unless you're packing an absolutely ridiculous number of them they won't be enough. You can still use them to take care of a lot of your speed, but you're going to have to apply at least a little bit of thrust just before you hit the ground if you want to land in once piece.

Or... Sacrificial pieces? Like, sticking a couple ibeams on the end to absorb the shock..

Global Public Holiday on Kerbin... Ticker Tape Parade For Jeb & Bob... Kerbin's First Ever Space Station...

Yes it's been a day of glory and achievement for the Kerbal Space Program!  After successfully landing on Mun, Jeb became the first Kerbal to set foot on a surface that wasn't Kerbin.  A few minutes later he was joined on the Loony surface by Bob and after a short flag planting ceremony, (Jeb insisted on carting a couple of bags of fertilizer along?), the real work got underway.  A great deal of science was conducted on the surface of Mun, including taking soil samples (avoiding the fertilizer Jeb had put round the base of the flagpole) goo canisters and a most interesting experiment with a materials bay.  Bob also noted that it's just as cold on the Loony surface as it is in the space above it, obviously something that will keep the labs back on Kerbin busy for the next few months.

All too soon and it was time to scramble back on board the spacecraft and prepare for the trip home.  Just before Jeb boarded, looking out of the hatch, Bob was left scratching his head when he noticed his captain sprinkling water - well actually ice in those temperatures - around the root of the flagpole he planted earlier! :/  The craft roared off the surface of Mun, swung east, entered orbit and then fired its engine for home.

After the boys successfully splashed down, the President of Kerbin decreed that all schools and public buildings would be closed for three days to celebrate this tremendous feat, and urged private businesses to grant the same time off to their employees.  In addition, a ticker tape parade is to be held for the two heroes through the streets of the Kerbin capital, which might be slightly tricky to organise as no one seems to be totally sure where the capital is actually located.  However being Kerbals, this reporter is convinced they'll "stumble" through somehow.

But wait there's more!!!  Just a few hours after Jeb and Bob had been safely recovered, the sounds of rocket engines erupted in the twilight as Kerbins first space station - called Kerbalab - was blasted skywards on its way to an 85k equatorial orbit of our beloved little planet.  The launch was a total success (two missions on one day and no explosions... surely worth another public holiday!) and the, somewhat controversial, space station entered an orbit with just a few meters of inaccuracy.

As hinted at a moment ago, this mission has not been without some criticism.  It has been said that the name Kerbalab is one of the most inappropriate and misleading ever used by the KSA, as the thing doesn't contain so much as a thermometer or test tube.  It's critics have - with some justification - claimed it is nothing short of an off-Kerbin holiday retreat for the personnel of the KSA.  This has been countered by the KSA saying, " Sure what harm's it going to do anyone... at least as long as it doesn't fall out of orbit and hit someone on the head?"  They then went on to point out that even if such an impact did happen, the somewhat solid nature of the typical Kerbal head would almost certainly inflict more damage on the falling space station than any crater that might be left by the said impact on the said head.  The critics were not completely convinced by this argument...

And just now as I finish typing this up, it looks like the police and Kerbin Customs Agency are sweeping into the Kerbal Space Centre in some numbers with flashing blue lights...?

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

@Galacticvoyager lmao.  Come back with pictures when that sepatron is integrated into the main stack :D

I built a small shuttle today.  When I say small, as an inefficient engineer I don't see how I could have made it smaller, but judge for yourselves:

Mullet Dyne Micro Screamchaser

Parts - 35
Mass - 4.820t
Height - 5.5m
Width - 2.1m
Length - 1.6m

Danger Factor - Enormous

A1sBKIL.png

CRAFT FILE

MISSION REPORT:

SM

A little self back patting on my part here; I just fulfilled a contract wanting me to park a satellite in a Keostationary orbit directly above an area called Kraken's backyard! :D :cool:

I suppose this doesn't sound like much to you guys, but to me it's a genuine achievement and one I wouldn't have even undertaken if I'd read the contract properly with it's exact positioning clause.

So the drinks are on me if everyone! :wink:

On 4/26/2017 at 8:53 AM, MaxwellsDemon said:

The Von Kerman Space Telescope was placed into a cismunar orbit...  but due to poor planning, it was not oriented correctly for solar cells to catch the sun's light, and it was dead in space.  (Some small solar cells placed on the side of the telescope to avoid just such an eventuality were, by chance, shaded by the scope itself...)

A rescue mission was mounted, and Eileen and Bill rendezvoused with the scope with the assistance of a Seba-D upper stage docking target and gave the scope a nudge... just enough to set it into a slow tumble so the emergency solar cells could be used to resuscitate the entire telescope.    Once the main solar cells were deployed, Eileen and Bill returned to Kerbin; a job well-done.

Good thing nothing like that ever happens IRL, huh?   :confused:

I'm happy to report that the Von Kerman is in business, fulfilling contracts for obtaining images of Duna, Eve, and Moho, as well as Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Kerbol.  The fine-tuning of the maneuvering could be improved.  I'm kicking around the idea of sending up a mission to attach a few reaction wheels instead of replacing the whole thing.   Why do it the easy way?