What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Tested out a heavily modified B-52 rocket plane, which I named the B-57A, by flying it unmanned to an Apoapsis of 40 kilometres.

The plane on the runway:

cGqysvS.jpg

CNUq4wN.jpg

It uses 5 LBSI 'Skywipe' engines, and has two 'Panther' jets for returning to the launch site. This entire aircraft is intended to be used as a carrier aircraft for another rocket plane, which is "supposed" to reach orbit. I haven't tested it yet, but I have doubts.

After horizontally taking off, the B-57A ascended at an AoA of 45 degrees, reaching a peak Apoapsis of 40 kilometres. It's Apoapsis actually reached over 100 kilometres at first, but the atmospheric drag at the low altitude caused it to decrease down to 40.

This image probably sums it up nicely:

PKN63g1.jpg

1cRcs0Z.jpg

5aUKS8K.jpg

After a strangely flame-absent re-entry, the B-57A cruised at an altitude of 10 kilometres before it stalled, and plummeted through the air. As the aircraft was unmanned, it was decided to ditch in the water.

mSXb7dt.jpg

o0TuyR4.jpg

APgrM2C.jpg

VEbU5gT.jpg

onYtize.jpg

N9rY0SS.jpg

I feel that the pictures tell the story nicely. :)

57 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

N9rY0SS.jpg

I feel that the pictures tell the story nicely. :)

Seen a real B-52 do that live.... more fire. Lots more fire. Um and it was only 15% full at the time.  Also watched a C-130 Kinda do this wet thing.  Right into the back bay at Biloxi MS.  Touch and go with no go.

I continued to probe...  Trying to get 27k dV into orbit, multistaged nukes on top of a 7xF-1 Hydrolox Main Stage and a dozen ESA Boosters  (Neptune and Saturn missions)

cGUUuYQ.pngRjTQ7pH.png

Orbit here we come. Amusing how orbit in RSS is anywhere in Stock. And back for a lot of places.

3mZKoGa.pngFtFgN0g.png

wVr7c9D.pngs0eo2Qu.png

Scanning Mas begins. No margin for lower radar scan unfortunately.  Messed up calculation of capture somehow.

cjNJWRR.pngeBKNlza.png

Mercury was very interesting, got a full set of scans and had some dV left.  So i crashed a probe. It survived a very serious litho experience bounced on edge of solar panel then the engine housing, landed roughly intact. enough to transmit science!

Edited by Bornholio

Finaly.... my personal record. Got enough money to buy the both  Albiere drives from RoverDude on cariermode hard on day 40 in techtree... now we are going "faster" around in GPP... With USI-LS and habitation/home Spacestations already in place this will make my colonisation struggle easier i hope.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Did not do a lot in KSP. Mostly tested trying to get a rocket to retorgrade burn to cancel out Kerbins speed(well yestarday).. Main reason. Not just for fun. But, to rescue a Kerbal in a retrograde orbit that has an orbit out almost to Duna. So far I had gotten to about 9200 m/s to be canceled out before needing to use the final stage which would have been the I need to slow down to avoid over shooting or smacking into the craft I need to dock with in the vain hopes I'll have enough fuel to at least make a poor Kerbal's attempt to at least get the craft within Kerbin's SOI. Spent 1 hour + 30 minutes or so trying add that to my 4+ hours from my other attempts. For todays run. Basicly de-orbited craft refuled and found out one of my Dres crafts will Likely not have enough to slow down. Hopefully the crafts before it will have enough to get fuel to it so it can hopefully in vain give it enough fuel to stay within Dres's SOI. Also this, just read the name in KerbNet and look at who is piloting:

094062362165EBC904AAC37E7AB6C7B89A70198A

23 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Euphemism for playing with FAR installed? Voxel method.... /smirk  Lucky daughter!

Euphemism for she got a new laptop that can run the game smooth, so she forced daddy for a LAN game so he can go get killed for recourses so she could build her dream house (I hate creepers...)

^_^

Mostly busywork in my career, and technical troubles with my computer and my mods. My computer's been silent ever since I moved it upstairs.

I've been having some problems with my mods. Nothing I can't handle, but problems nonetheless. Today it was contract packs that caused me greif. I attempted a contract for a relay satellite that I failed and was penalized 960k funds the moment I loaded my craft onto the launchpad. One SFE later I was back on track.

I then moved some tourists to and fro my space hotel with my 10 kerb 'spam cans'. I don't have screenies but picture four mk1 crew cabins between a 2.5m heatsheild and a mk2 lander can. Just under 50k funds a pop and can reach my space hotel in a 400km orbit. I have USILS running on this career so I'd like to get them home from the hotel before they chew though the small supply of food I have there. But the "return" contracts seem to be having problems calling the names of kerbals that are on the hotel, and are instead generating new Kerbs. I tried recovering them straight from the LP, and I tried sending them up to the hotel and then recovering them. Don't know what's going on there, but I forsee another SFE just to clear out my AC roster.

Also due to my terrible planning and understanding of how to go interplanetary, My moho orbiter shot by at 4km/sec, and with only 1.6km/sec in the orbiter, it was a pretty brief flyby.

On the bright side, I'm finally in a position to put up my EPL base on the far side of the moon. In my seed that East-West canyon on the far side is ripe with both MetalOre and regular old Ore, meaning I can build and fuel up spacecraft with minimal worries about going crazy flying fueling/mining missions. My space program seems to be perpetually broke so perhaps once I have a self-sustaining base in where I can build modules for 'free', I'll start turning a profit. Launching from an airless moon with only about 600m/s to orbit will have its benefits too...

I did a couple of things with planes that were never meant to do them...

pKKoT9T.png

I broke the speed of sound in a U-2...

TmW26VV.png

Went Mach 1 straight up to 20km, turned around and hit Mach 2 above the ground. I then pulled up out of a 70g turn.

I also met up with @NorthAmericanAviation IRL to talk about JotD and our future plans (X-Plane of the day seems likely). And in the meantime had my F-14 fight a trio of post-WWII jets, in addition to a number of other shenanigans.

7 hours ago, Servo said:

You have to have them farther apart (probably)

Actually, it was that they were too far up the air brake, meaning it slid off when deployed. Thanks though.

10 hours ago, Torquimedes said:

Position an RCS ball on each side of the airbrake and they will hold their parent assembly in place against gravity (or any other force that doesn't break the hinge).  I got the notion from @Servo's XB-70 wings.  Static and dynamic diagrams here:

Thanks, though I was already doing that.

Worked further on it. Now it looks the part more, but the docking ports do not dock properly. Any tips?

2c8Nond.png

Proportions aren't exactly the same, but its close enough...

9CiwpVq.png

I know, needs to be rotated. Will work on that later

FMGaIrH.png

Misalignment thing

Hey all Kraken-Haters out there.....You know who you are.

Not much the kast few days. Just putzing around.

Made a motorbike with Bill's help. Couldn’t have done it without him.

Aldson (Sounds Swedish) borrowed it to take Stellissa on a date.

It went well.....As Kerbal inovation goes. :0.0::cool:

ME

3 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Made a motorbike with Bill's help. Couldn’t have done it without him.

Aldson (Sounds Swedish) borrowed it to take Stellissa on a date.

It went well.....As Kerbal inovation goes. :0.0::cool:

That's sweet. Why put on a rapier engine? Aldson wasn't going to roast Stellissa or something, right?

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

That's sweet. Why put on a rapier engine? Aldson wasn't going to roast Stellissa or something, right?

Hi.

No roasting.

The CoG of the engine isn't in the engine.....:rolleyes:....:wink:

The CoG of the bike is below ground. It helps to keep it upright.  :cool:

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Just now, Martian Emigrant said:

No roasting.

The CoG of the engine isn't in the engine.....:rolleyes:....:wink:

The CoG of the bike is below ground. It helps to keep it upright.  :cool:

That actually makes sense..

Why have it like this? I guess there is some gameplay reason

Today I finished the visit of Hadrian. The investigations are progressing, including a visit to the Poles.

LD93E9b.jpg

Also in the north the landscape is very beautiful. I thought there is perhaps a sea monster since the name of the biome is Nog Ness.

ukvby27.jpg

Soon I visited all biomes and look for a starting point at the equator. I refuel once again and start in orbit. 187 records are included.

kgtSS4p.jpg

I leave the atmosphere behind me. Now I realize that I forgot to put a flag, I'm slowly getting old.

QNs90lm.jpg

I reach orbit. There are still 819 m/s dV left to meet with the mothership.

TQMtlNW.jpg

Rendezvous with the mothership. To this I attached the claw at the rear end of the mother ship.

tgQ4a7X.jpg

After capturing the SSTO I take over the data and the crew. The SSTO remains in the orbit, perhaps I will come back some time. The mothership then sets off for Narisse.

4RzJWZx.jpg

7 hours ago, Triop said:

Euphemism for she got a new laptop that can run the game smooth, so she forced daddy for a LAN game so he can go get killed for recourses so she could build her dream house (I hate creepers...)

^_^

Why we have daddys? We use them as ablative armor:D

And i think the daughtrr is blonde, blueeyed and has realy crack for puppyeyes? Sorry chummer you have no chance. You are doomed to plow her way through obstacles:wink:

Funny Kabooms 

Urses