What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

23 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Dear god.. Are you playing on a nuclear reactor?

23 minutes ago, Mjarf said:

My thoughts exactly.

Haha, I just like to push my pc to the limits. Big thanks to ufindbatman for the E.T. Extreme Textures.

Intel i7-6800K 3.4GhZ 
GPU: Nvidia 1070 X2 SLI
RAM: 32GB DDR4 
SSD: Intel 750 M.2 400GB
MOBO: X99 
Monitor: Acer Predator XB1 w/ G-Sync 165Hz OC 

1 hour ago, hellblazer said:

Intel i7-6800K 3.4GhZ 
GPU: Nvidia 1070 X2 SLI
RAM: 32GB DDR4 
SSD: Intel 750 M.2 400GB
MOBO: X99 
Monitor: Acer Predator XB1 w/ G-Sync 165Hz OC 

Ergo, a nuclear flarping reactor. <_<

And here I am struggling along just farting on a candle. ;.;

Two days ago, I finalized my mod setup for 1.2.2 and did a lot of performance testing.  Yesterday and today, I argued with a moderator about his "excessive use of force" on my (quite benign) comments :)

Haven't been able to post on this thread cuz I didn't technically "do" anything for the past few days. Was in the middle of an Eve mission when I got sidetracked by the fantastic Retro Rescue Challenge. Had to rescue a Kerbal stranded in a retrograde orbit around the sun. Was extremely tough, but just as rewarding. This is the behemoth that got it done.

screenshot153.png

1,700 parts and 6,800 tons. She got me there and back and I'm sportin' a brand new badge to prove it. Feelin' pretty good about myself. :)

Also grabbed a nice sightseeing pic along the way.

screenshot227.png

Closest I've ever been to the sun. Even on the map screen it was hard to look at. Lemme put on my shades. :cool:

Abandoned my new 1.2.2 6.4x scale playthrough, because @CatastrophicFailure just had to put the idea in my head of a Galileo's Planet Pack playthrough without looking up any of the planets, just a straight-up, blind exploration deal.

Thanks Catastrophic, now there are a bunch of tourists who will never get their Moon flybys thanks to you.

The new settings are: 3.2x scale with Real Fuels-Stockalike*, GPP (obvious), 40% science/120% funds, deliberately not looking very hard at the tracking station until I have telescopes up, RemoteTech instead of CommNet, TAC LS, FAR, and a whole mess of other mods.

*Decided to drop down a bit from 6.4x; I wanted to spend a bit more time doing what I want, and less time figuring out how to deal with the relatively immense delta-V requirements.

Some of the early flights determined that Gael's atmosphere was basically dead-on a match for Kerbin, and captured a beautiful shot of Ciro

Spoiler

ad3YKwM.png

lASD0xz.png

Aaand the first sounding rocket to breach the Karman line, well, it may have a liiiitle bit fallen onto the mountains just west of the GSC (Gael Space Center).

Right now, I'm mostly just running suborbital tourism missions, which are basically "Mk. 1 capsule and a sounding rocket probe core on an RT-20 SRB*".

*From Ven's Stock Part Revamp, basically an RT-10 Hammer stretched out an additional 50%.

Spoiler

bWhogt8.png

That is in no small part to recoup losses from this contract, which I foolishly accepted without taking a close enough look at the completion deadline... and with my KCT settings, there was no way to get a 1-tonne telescope up to orbit in time. I tried a last-minute Hail Mary with the biggest booster I could devise, but the aerodynamics simply didn't work out without having a fairing to put over that hideously asymmetrical telescope.

CRFHNGz.png

I'll have to scrape up some science from somewhere; I need about 15 more to get basic fairings, after which point I can really start setting up some orbital infrastructure. Maybe I can send brave Valentina on a short suborbital hop westwards to obtain EVA/crew reports from west of the mountains...

@Starman4308 *evil grins evily*

For extra mysteriousness try Research Bodies too, that'll make you work to find all them plernerts. :wink:

And wise choice on 3.2x. 6.4x is gonna keep me from getting very far from Gael, methinks. :( Unless I add some OP thing like NearFuture Improbability Drive, and stretched as my system already is, that's gonna require a much bigger candle. Or more beans. Or both. :confused:

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@Starman4308 *evil grins evily*

For extra mysteriousness try Research Bodies too, that'll make you work to find all them plernerts. :wink:

Not yet sold on that mod; A, I already have enough mods with development-only releases, and B, I'm not sure it fits what I'm going for, which would be that, while it's trivial to find most of the planets with a bit of telescope work from Gael, it might not be easy to find details like "does this planet have an atmosphere, how does that atmosphere behave", etc, which I'm implementing via self-restraint and actual scientific missions, as in "actually look at it with a CactEye scope, watch the thermometer and barometer on descent, read the science messages for once, and when in doubt, chuck an expendable probe at it."

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And wise choice on 3.2x. 6.4x is gonna keep me from getting very far from Gael, methinks. :( Unless I add some OP thing like NearFuture Improbability Drive, and stretched as my system already is, that's gonna require a much bigger candle. Or more beans. Or both. :confused:

To be fair to Near Future, the specific impulses on its ion drives are quite plausible.

The thrust isn't, but unless you want to leave KSP running for weeks to complete a burn, that's something you'd just have to accept. Alternately, Starwaster's Heat Pumps mod will enable ZBO (Zero Boil-Off) missions with cryogenic propellants for nuclear thermal rockets.

Installed Scatterer! Everything looks prettier. Also my frames may have dropped a bit... Oh well.

Also, did STS-2b from the shuttle challenge.

Pics! (or, at least the nice ones.)

Spoiler

utK0GgX.png

zGQLini.png

VFp3uqT.png

mhvB9Ee.png

BAU5oi2.png

I sent a probe on its way to Eeloo, the only planet where I currently don't have some kind of presence either in orbit or en route.

Blfe4b1.png

It's also the probe that I've put just about the least amount of individual thought into. I noticed that I had a transfer window coming up and that the total dV needed would be about the same as a trip to Moho, so I loaded up the rocket that I sent to that planet and replaced its payload with a satellite designed to run off of an RTG instead of solar panels. Even the satellite is just a re-use of a design originally meant for Jool. Things are becoming more and more standardized in the Kerbol system as I move steadily closer to the completion of my career-mode goals.

I tried my hardest to create a single engine SSTO but these was my problems in order.

1. Not enough oxidiser for my circularisation burn.
  2. Lowers amount of liquid fuel in hopes of raising Delta-V.
  3. Still not enough oxidiser.
  4. Replaces Liquid fuel tank with a liquid fuel and oxidiser tank.
  5. Not enough liquid fuel to deorbit.
  6. Uses Hyperedit to increase liquid fuel
  7. About to land and of course, I crash.

I hate my life.

Jeb still survived though.

Edited by Gh0stReaper

3 hours ago, Gh0stReaper said:

I tried my hardest to create a single engine SSTO but these was my problems in order.

1. Not enough oxidiser for my circularisation burn.
  2. Lowers amount of liquid fuel in hopes of raising Delta-V.
  3. Still not enough oxidiser.
  4. Replaces Liquid fuel tank with a liquid fuel and oxidiser tank.
  5. Not enough liquid fuel to deorbit.
  6. Uses Hyperedit to increase liquid fuel
  7. About to land and of course, I crash.

I hate my life.

Jeb still survived though.

I feel you. ;.;

Played with planes!.... (no.. no train in it.. for real this time.. I didnt launch it from a train, it wasnt a train, I didnt even put airhorns on it!)

But I was listerning to a track I brought from Zombie Hyperdrive  - Omicron  & Red Eyes - the beautiful awesome neo retro synthwave 80s genre ive discovered recently thats changed my life :) bringing back the epic future that was taken from us we saw in the 80s.. 

anyway!!!

so I had to build an 80s retro looking.. um.. plane.. that wasnt a train. it felt odd, I dont built planes.. but yah blame the music

SO I BUILT THIS AND IT WAS EPIC!!!

ts0ZqH0.png

y3HlyD3.png

AND JUST LIKE  A TRAIN IT BLEW UP!!!! like all. BANG! 

so.. probably like a train in some way :D 

Edited by Overland

4 minutes ago, Overland said:

Played with planes!.... (no.. no train in it.. for real this time.. I didnt launch it from a train, it wasnt a train, I didnt even put airhorns on it!)

But I was listerning to a track I brought from Zombie Synthwave - Omicron - the beautiful awesome neo retro synthwave 80s genre ive discovered recently thats changed my life :) bringing back the epic future that was taken from us we saw in the 80s.

Thats great stuff, @Overland, thanks for sharing. One of these days you might even build a rocket :o

:D cheers, mate

Landed on the Mun and Minmus for the first time in my 1.2.2 campaign.  That first Munar landing is always a thrill, even if I've done it before in other campaigns.

Also, found 14.86% ore at the Minmus site, which was one on my short list for a future mining base.   (That short list suddenly narrowed to one.   Equatorial site, at the south of the Lesser Flats-- the area I'm calling 'South Bay,' where there's a sort of a notch in the higher lands to the west, good landing and takeoff clearance to east and west-- how good can it it get?   I don't remember that high an ore concentration anywhere on Minmus in prior campaigns.)

Tested Recon Sats, after a hard fight i think i might pass.

After two failures to return samples, one because of a backwards decoupler. Other because fiery doom.

IvT9fxI.png

Got a good heavy launcher 13kdv at pad, still shows 12.5kdv at main solid separation. MJ is weirding me out. So are those boosters.

vuBuySN.pngzzCQgIh.png

Only complaint with the ESA solids is they take forever to terminate burning.  Enough to make sepatrons a bit weak to push them off.

8br7zQq.png

Pretty high to still be on boosters, but these ESA's are 278ISP in vaccuum and the Hydrolox engine is throttled to 10%

AdmDHAd.pngmnluuAh.png

Main ascent stage is more like an upper in this case. Sat has a large recon, soil moisture, Resource and biome scanner.  Its in a 750km polar (90deg) orbit.  Return Capsule loaded...

xscUIGb.pngYaG7855.png

3k of De-Orbit should be able to get back from the Moon.  And then burn up.  Needs a better chute.  landed at 11m/s

i8SXw8M.pngzpO4JdX.png

Edited by Bornholio

Today, I sent an oil tanker to space...

screenshot76.png

Vessel comes at 1.43M funds, the boosters to get it to LKO do cost another 240k funds - not the cheapest vessel I launched in this career safe, but I am sure that contracts will pay for it pretty fast...

26 minutes ago, something said:

*snip*

I like it, but I'm out of likes again! :rolleyes: This is why I shouldn't leave the Tantares thread for a few days each time. I just pour my likes all over that thread after a couple of days of updates.

I started realizing lately that all of my bases look pretty much the same. This is my first base here, on Mun (probably where everybody's first base is).

screenshot258.png

All standard stuff here. Nothing revolutionary. I just drop however many modules I want, those little fuel lines to connect them, and a rover to put everything together and act as the fuel truck afterward. There's more here than what I need (I've since picked up all but 2 Kerbals, since it isn't really doing anything anymore), and I made each subsequent base a bit smaller; sending only what was necessary. Was sending a new base to Bop, though, and I wanted to try something a little different. Instead of sending each module on a different ship, then putting it together on the ground, I just put all the modules on a single frame. This contraption below.

screenshot259.png

Here it is set up on Bop. I've retracted the solar panels, so you can see it a bit better (Jool is directly above, so it's not in the shot).

screenshot256.png

It looks kinda crazy cuz I had to balance out the weight in order for it to launch from Kerbin. It's not perfectly balanced, but I got it close enough for a good launch. And it wasn't pulling to one side or the other on the way to Jool. Still needed a fuel truck, of course. So I sent along a rover that's a bit bigger than I usually use.

screenshot257.png

I actually really like it. The huge wheels turn on a dime. Think I might use 'em more often. The whole thing is just for fun, though. I could skip all of it and just use a mining rover.

screenshot237.png

Drive up, dock, drill, convert, and refuel. Just a few seconds on timewarp and it's done. Think I'm gonna keep trying new ideas for bases, though. I don't wanna go the cookie-cutter route anymore. I'll post some more if I come up with something crazy.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch