What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

Can't go to war without fuel...

rxDPByH.png

:ph34r:

Well then... That's a convenient bombing target. You've just made a stationary nuke. Thanks!

Just now, Bornholio said:

You are using enough plutonium to make thirty nukes in that miner! 96 RTG's  Nasa would cry.

Why do you think the Kerbals are green ? :wink:

They asked for more, I kid you not. :lol:

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Well then... That's a convenient bombing target. You've just made a stationary nuke. Thanks!

Those solar panels are actually bombshields, you won't be able to destroy it. :lol:

Because my last attempt at integrating ascent module into munar rover ended in space station exploding I tried different approach. Just a rover and universal lander-ascent module.

Basically a flatbed with bunch of science. Major upgrade was probe core mounted in upright position this time and bunch of redundant antennas! Second one, sent to Minmus, got upgraded with external seat to optimize science recovery. (Third Kerball was fresh slave rescue picked up on the way)

Parking rover exactly on north pole was easy. Landing there by navball was not so.

Edited by PT

22 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I've done nothing in KSP today! Reason? WoWs FINALLY DOWNLOADED! See ya next millennium

You will be missed by many of us...

DarkOwl57 : ???? - 2017

^_^

I sent Jeb in to explore Gael´s Volcano.

I took my plane, now that I know how to make them, and made him exit while on top of the volcano. A few seconds later...

Nah, I´m kidding. (Altough the first attempt did meet with spaghettification and death)

I installed the personal chutes mod to make this easier. Also, I used up all the RCS fuel in his pack...

Lowest point in the volcano.

Jebediah Kerman, wondering how on Grannus is he going to climb up that thing.

I've used my Munar Factory (with Ground Constructions) to build a rover to explore Tylo. Not because it's my first attempt in this save and everything went as planned but because my Jool flotilla arrived to the Joolian system and, as the brave kerbonauts deployed to their different bodies of interests, it came to my attention that I had completely forgotten to launch the Tylo Descend Vehicle and that the twin of the Tylo Rover, currently deployed in Vall, couldn't climb slopes higher than 5 degrees at Vall, which surely means it's twin would be useless in Tylo, even if I find a way to put it in Tylo's surface with the tugs at hand.

And since large rovers are anti-aerodinamic, I've built it in the Mun, and the transfer stage gets to double as a Tylo Descend Vehicle.

Sadly, it also means I was playing Kerbal Slideshow Program while handling things at Mun Factory :(

Anyway, screenshots

N4j2qQl.png

I went back to the VAB *yuck*

Also made an Apollo replica for the Do it Apollo Style! challenge. I almost finished it the challenge earlier, but then I left it...

Also discovered that kerbals will randomly use a sledge hammer on the VAB. That's totally not weird at all.....

Spoiler

3KZ6I7B.png

7Is60iO.png

UVf3ezO.png

BeOPmDO.png

4 hours ago, Bornholio said:

You are using enough plutonium to make thirty nukes in that miner! 96 RTG's

Interesting note - only Pu-239 is any good for making bombs; all other isotopes are contaminants.  Pu-238 just happens to have a convenient half-life (not too short to stockpile, but short enough to produce useful heat) to power a RTG, and is comparatively easy to make by simple neutron bombardment.  Pu-239 barely gets warm to the touch (HL 24,000 years) and is useless for RTGs.

BTW from my reading, plutonium-powered RTGs are only a tiny minority of all the RTGs ever made.  Besides, the in-game element is "blutonium" anyway! :)

15 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Interesting note - only Pu-239 is any good for making bombs; all other isotopes are contaminants.  Pu-238 just happens to have a convenient half-life (not too short to stockpile, but short enough to produce useful heat) to power a RTG, and is comparatively easy to make by simple neutron bombardment.  Pu-239 barely gets warm to the touch (HL 24,000 years) and is useless for RTGs.

Pu-238 also decays primarily via alpha decay, meaning it's pretty easy to shield and relatively safe to work with.

Completely botched the math on delta V and thrust for my minmus transfer stage and hopper for early game science gathering. Ended up taking twice as long and two Mun slingshots to get onto the correct orbital plane and apo (I *really* messed up). Ended up managing to pull it together with possibly the ugliest ship to ever be launched and got 1500 science without even getting everything.

9 hours ago, Bornholio said:

To bad something doesn't work right with the docking port.  Everyone EVA's over. /sigh

Xpn2VvJ.png

RO/RP-0 docking ports all look similar so its probably that they are miss-matched, or its the stupid bumper option.  Or the mod CLS i should never have installed...

From that screenshot, it looks like you have a bumper. Is it one of those clamp-o-tron parachute combos? Because they will have a permanent bumper extended. So I suggest a regular port and an inline parachute.

10 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I failed miserably at making a space shuttle. 

Suggestion...

If your lift stage is totally encapsulated in a faring, maybe try traditional RCS to de-orbit (properly timed at Ap or Pr it takes very little to break orbit) and an air-breathing jet engine to fly what is essentially a normal plane once you're in the soup?

Throwing a couple airbrakes, plus the RCS, can help a lot with getting her down safely...she's likely going to be a little unstable in the thin air.

-Jn-

7 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

From that screenshot, it looks like you have a bumper. Is it one of those clamp-o-tron parachute combos? Because they will have a permanent bumper extended. So I suggest a regular port and an inline parachute.

Unfortunately it is that "Inline Chute" + docking port.  I think its some flaw with the bumper extension module. Somewhere between Dev RO/RP-0 and Vens stock is a problem.  Actually wish that they didn't module manage every part since it makes trouble shooting and loading so much longer. Even finding the offending part change is a difficult thing.  They should just make their own part copies and and note the original parts as Non-RO compliant.

Some of the parts are Module managed 6 times. RF, CLS, RO, RP-0, Vens...  Really don't want to rebuild it a fourth time but its looking like i need to.

11 hours ago, fourfa said:

BTW from my reading, plutonium-powered RTGs are only a tiny minority of all the RTGs ever made.  Besides, the in-game element is "blutonium" anyway! :)

/sarcasm ON   What you can't spread misinformation like that!  All plutonium and uranium can explode if it is slightly jostled. /sarcasm OFF

ALSEP_Apollo_14_RTG.jpg SNAP-27 (70W)

I'm guessing the models are based off of US space RTG's, so PU-238, specifically the 300W GPHS .  Most terrestrial ones are Strontium (A cheaper fission waste product) but those are heavily shielded and lower efficiency. Soviets also used Polonium but that is only 138d half life and much harder to shield.

43 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

@Bornholio also, that's a... strange looking service module. A Cygnus resupply craft used as the service an propulsion module?

Yes.  Dang that engine is feeble. It has a nice combo of tankage power and control.  Just add more engine or it takes an hour to de-orbit burn.

Edited by Bornholio

I have a lot of stuff I've been meaning to put here, but I'll just put the events of the past few hours.

So Sean's Cannery asked me to put a station in orbit supporting 5 kerbals. So I launched a small cheap station, and then launched my go-to spaceplane with 4 kerbals and dropped them off at the station. The plan was that I'd then remotely pilot it over to my Leo Ryan LKO Fuel Depot, where Bob and Jeb were stationed aboard a docked vehicle that is due to head out to Minmus in less than a week. I would then bring one of them over to the station and fulfill the contract. But before I got a chance to do that, I had to leave for a while so I exited the game. I came back, and realized I hadn't put the name of the company in the station's name like I usually do, so I opened the contracts window to find it. I searched carefully. No station contract.

qNISbkX.jpg

(In this picture I'm redocking to the station after realizing that the contract was not there.)

Puzzled, I went into mission control and found... the contract was completed???

x5LM6K4.jpg

Well, ok then... more Δv on orbit for me!

In-VAB testing confirms that my spaceplane should be able to dock with the fuel depot (seen below) and thus deposit extra fuel picked up at the cheap station.

njJXAs6.jpg

It needs to stop by the depot anyways to drop off the kerbals (I'm planning on bringing 6 kerbals to Minmus). Might keep the spaceplane on-orbit for a while afterwards. I'm thinking of bringing Linberta home from Mun Station I, and since she's the only person aboard, I don't think its worth dispensing of the service module of the Kolumbine CEV. I want to save that, possibly for a mission to Duna.

IsFeaL8.jpg

I'm hoping to get 200 science or so from Minmus (shouldn't be too hard) so I can unlock the narrow band scanner. That will be helpful for finding the best spot to land my Mun Contract Station. I don't want it to take 5 years to fill up the Lf tanks like the contract wants. 

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@EpicSpaceTroll139 On those station contracts, you only need the capacity for x Kerbals, so you can even launch empty and still complete it. :D

Sometimes they'll specify that certain Kerbals have to be on board (for instance, you might get a requirement that a station has to contain three pilots or something similar.) Those are separate from the "supports X Kerbals" requirements, though.

This:

Ocpncdo.png

(You have no idea how proud I am of that blueprint - Kronal Vessel Viewer keeps on crashing for me and doesn't take screenshots, so I had to take a picture of the rocket in the VAB, and then manually colour all of the background in blue in MS Paint. I'm so happy with the way it turned out!)