What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Are you guys playing Risk?

I prefer Axis and Allies myself. :)

(Quick tip: Always be Germany.)

Not trying to get this thread off topic, but a Kerbin RISK map needs to be a thing.

A&A is of course my favorite as well.

I'm trying to make some stock hinges so that my Falcon (7?) can land without falling over. I'm thinking about trying to use Airbrakes to make larger base next time.

*shown with regular legs

@Triop @Galacticvoyager Ok I added my country/state/whateveryoucallit here. I chose a slightly different place than I had on nonameships because that was a bit too tiny and secluded. Might expand to have a bit of variety in landscape someday. And get a proper flag. wIAezXj.jpg

Anyways, I explored Minmus in my career save. Out of my own stupidity I forgot to put solar panels on my lander, so I had to be very careful with conserving electric charge while making my biome hops.

djCOis2.jpg

I only *just* made it back to the Kopernicus Intra-Munar Vehicle.

5qwkbER.jpg

Due to solar panels on the main ship quickly starting to recharge my batteries, the situation is not clear. When I docked I had no electric charge. I was using my monopropellant for both translation and rotation. I thought I was going to have to abandon the lander in orbit (which honestly wouldn't have been that bad considering all the science I got using it, and that it needs a panel retrofit or replacement), but I managed to dock with 0.31 units of monoprop left in the tank. Unfortunately not everyone got the experience building opportunity to go down to the surface due to my using of most of the oxidizer going to all the biomes, but it's a small price to pay for the huge amount of science I got from the mission. Theoretically I could have used the EVA packs to land the kerbals and reorbit them... Perhaps an experiment for a later date.

@Bornholio Is there a built in que on the KSP Atlas for when the booster engines + shroud should be jettisoned? I've been just using guesswork and thus haven't had particularly great success rate with getting to orbit. :/

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

19 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Is there a built in que on the KSP Atlas for when the booster engines + shroud should be jettisoned? I've been just using guesswork and thus haven't had particularly great success rate with getting to orbit. :/

No but the historical timing of 2:10 works perfect, leaves you with several thousand dV and at orbit probably 500 or so remain on shutdown.  Careful tuning of upper ascent profile is needed since its only one ignition.

Make sure you don't change the fuel, and leave the 100% kero in the tanked LR105.  Took a while to figure out what the plan was but it worked great.  Impressive to say the least that a 1&1/2 stage rocket to orbit was the US first manned program.  I have a hard time with 4 stage ones...  if you do a full replica like this I'd also get rid of some De-Orbit fuel.  The Attitude rockets on the lower sides are not needed but also don't hurt. 

Edited by Bornholio

4 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Due to the curvage and spherical nature of a planet, my territory isnt all that big.

Ok, keep your territory, too could cold for me out there anyway. :sticktongue:

Edited by Triop

The Grannus Flyby ship has now reached the sphere of influence of Gauss. The current flight time is 33 years and 395 days. I easily correct
the course so as not to enter the atmosphere of Catullus. The first object that the crew gets to see after such a long journey - it almost
feels as if they were at home.

EpM4oVW.jpg

After I leave the area of influence of Catullus I brake for 390m/s and reach a Gauss PE of 430km. At 14898 m/s, the ship raced past Gauss.

rKcoIIQ.jpg

After that, I ignite the main brake maneuver to get an intercept with Gael. I have to brake for 11814 m/s dV - over 2 hours of burning
time. Now I need patience because I can only burn a little more than 4 minutes until the batteries are empty. Somehow I have done it and the
PE at Gael is just under 100 km. Still two years and 315 days, then the two will be back home.

P7PmKZ7.jpg

Time jump. Obfry and Lagerlenna have entered a stable orbit around Gael. The last brake maneuver cost 4919 m/s dV and there are only 2919
m/s left. At the beginning of the mission 30141 m/s dV were available for the ion engines. Now they are waiting at a 500km orbit to be picked up.

rITtCC1.jpg

I quickly assemble a probe with parachutes and a claw and start into space.

lLU8MKh.jpg

Shortly thereafter, she docked. I want to land and keep the Grannus ship, so I built a kind of lander for it.

r7wMuOv.jpg

Everything works well and nothing gets too hot since I've reduced the speed enough.

mmJaHGH.jpg

The parachutes open and I will land near the GSC.

IA1QNez.jpg

I undock the lander and the Grannus ship stays on the spot. Maybe I will later build some sort of forklift to move it and make a memorial.

QVZ8cql.jpg

And here are the coveted data from Grannus. Obfry and Lagerlenna get 27 XP.

I4fC5Ke.jpg

Greetings

Edit:

@Plane Crazy Welcome to the forum

Edited by astroheiko

Today this nice little spyplane finally stopped acting up on the strip.

8LfK5Jx.png

Woohoo, let's set out for a grand journey around all anomalies!

ARUPZMi.png

But do we have enough fuel for a journey that long? Worry not, we bring no stupid fuel that is so painfully finite and shifts your CoM as it depletes. We're better than that - we've got nuclear power!

g6pR33W.png

Aren't those Osprey engines super nice. No exhaust, no deafening roar - what an eco-friendly plane! (Jeb, if you crash THAT, you are so dead. And so are we all, at the hands of furious ecologists.)

TdZDl7d.png

The maiden flight was perfect, the plane was almost flying itself. The maiden landing, aaaaaaalmost. Well, at least we didn't miss the island.

ICZYrEs.png

This plane totally radiates happiness. Jeb's smile positively glows in the dark after this flight.

Sm7FrWp.png

10 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

This plane totally radiates happiness. Jeb's smile positively glows in the dark after this flight.

This. xD

44 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

I undock the lander and the Grannus ship stays on the spot. Maybe I will later build some sort of forklift to move it and make a memorial.

You win. :rep: May I suggest you build a fence around the memorial? It must be quite irradiated after all that deep space and low over Grannus, lol.

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

If you could figure out how to screw up the other parts in the same way you could have a pretty cool paint scheme going there.

Full black with some red stripes would look pretty cool indeed. :lol:

Anybody out there that can help me making the intake cone red ?

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Anybody out there that can help me making the intake cone red ?

It's a fairly simple texture edit (plus some MODEL node wizardry).
S4hBVOD.png
...Hmm. Now I'm halfway tempted to do black w/red trim recolors of the rest of the Mk1 aero parts. 

6 hours ago, Triop said:

Don't ask...

nB2eS3s.png

:ph34r:

Get some distinctly scifi vibes,

Movie tag line;

"they came in peace, for us to make war" 

etc

on a different note I'm finding the rep saying 444 pleasing!

Edited by Kertech