What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Right at the limits of moon landings with my RO Career restart. So Moon Orbiters!

Leaving Earth

E3Uw1U6.gif

Arriving Moon.  Wont' get scanning or polar data yet.

lQVZdDU.gif

Arriving home.

ezyE8lZ.png

Detach over Australia.  Going to have a fine for littering.

trCV34J.png

Three Aero-braking loops later in central Atlantic.

K3pYolg.png

Big science haul let me get going on Saturn I systems.

TE6cOAF.png

Stage 2

2HEGY0b.png

Science return and newly trained kerbonauts.

MH4RiEu.png

Edited by Bornholio

Been trying my hand at planning routes using gravitational assists.

YcK0eT7.jpg

Floating point errors get annoying after a few years worth of trajectory plotting. Stuff likes to jitter around enough that an encounter with a good kicker planet like Eve or Kerbin can get missed.

Also sent a narrow band scanner to the Mun to scan for a good spot to land my contract base.

JDpBGed.jpg

So I went on to landing the base at the determined spot.

I got down to about 300m going about 40m/s, and had my engine thrusting just enough to maintain this speed. I hit shift to throttle up and slow down for the landing maneuver, which would involve slowing to a hover a couple meters above the surface, then quickly tipping the stack to land horizontally on the legs. And... the throttle didn't move. I glanced up to the left corner of my screen.

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I had checked earlier and had thought that I would have a relay available, but it wasn't quite above the horizon. I watched in horror, meanwhile spamming the z key, as the base sped towards the surface.

Suddenly by some miracle, I got a brief moment of signal, and the engine went to full throttle.

iDG3ger.jpg

Immediately the signal was gone again, and I once again was left watching.

The thing ended up tapping the ground, and started moving up again, leaving me to spam the x key, hoping that my base wouldn't fly off into the great black yonder, although perhaps that would have been safer for it. At about 5m it was high enough to get some signal from the relay again, and the engine cut out. When it came back to the ground it once again had no signal.

Well... at least it's on the surface now, if not necessarily in the most ideal orientation.

Bndgznd.jpg

I at least feel vindicated in only having deployed one of the solar panels. It was the only thing to get crushed.

I had my try on a Space X recoverable rocket during a tourism mission.

f1xsSeo.png

66pNnZp.png

yrUE1LG.png

I detached the first stage and completed the orbit with a cryogenic engine.

JLoMwqX.png

Having some fun with the tourists, the views from here are amazing.

zGnifjJ.png

Hmmm I lost the first stage due to reentry heating :0.0::D But at least the tourists got home fine!

eAeKey2.jpg

mnOjvLr.jpg

Not much.

I continued my misadventures with fuel crossfeed. Apparently both docking ports need to have fuel crosfeed disabled in order to shut it down, disabling single side allows for flow in one direction... I also learned that inline docking ports lack separate fuel flow options for docking port and inline structure. Eh. Anyone up for some modlet?

I tested robotic rover. Again. And failed. Again. Previous attempt failed because RoverMate lacks reaction wheel. Boom. Second attempt failed because RoverMate also lacks forward facing control point. And for rectangular object its pretty stubborn at attaching wheels to imaginary circle.... 0/10, not gonna use again. Also pusher configuration carriers tend to have issues with imbalanced center of mass, had to disable half of engines...

Afterwards I send third nuclear carrier into orbit. just autonomous tractor with huge fuel tank named Carryall because thats what it does. While my previous two carriers excels in packing multiple small vessels, this one is just glorified tug, 100 ton cargo in Kerbin spehere is nothing for it. Guess what will carry Duna modules and more fuel from low orbit to White Base :wink: 

First test was of course tourist mission, because whats better to risk than civilians life. I used free space (7kerb pod) to add fourth scientists to Kerbaton II station. It appears that I created interplanetary bacteriophage by accident. Whoops. Minmus is next. Muahahahaha!

Edited by PT

I made a stock electric propeller bearing without fairing. Yes. Works perfect and engines can be reattached/ released  by claw, so scene change is possible and this thing is careerproof.

KSP prerelease 1.2.9.1796

k5mrruC.png

:cool:

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I hope you got it pointing the right way before the insertion burn, unlike the original...  :D

Well... that flight actually ended in disaster, as I am very poor at controlling asymmetrical rockets, even with high gimbal range...

More RO/RP-0 Foolishness including troubleshooting exploding EVA kerbals.  Exploding solved with new Deadly Reentry mod config from @Starwaster (Thanks!)

Made a stretched version of my orbital lab ship.  Got the remainder of the Near space science and explored my exploding kerb problem.  The craft had a circular range of a few kkm. At 450ish km orbit it had 1100m/s and 2 ignitions remaining.  A backup de-orbit solid in the Gemini mount plus plenty of RCS since the orbital but and RCS shared A50/NTO fuel. Pointy nose is hidding a science box and had could be ejected and separately chute down.

ZcaEEXP.png

950 Science and scientist and engineer orbital rated.

Monolith manned lunar orbiter is my first dual nuclear stage mission.  All 4500t of the craft able to push the nuclear upper transit stages along with a cygnus supported Gemini Crew section.  Science located aft of the cygnus had to be manually moved to the crew pod. 

TLI starts with the J-2 Hydrolox second stage.

8NhuUvS.pngbEyGkG5.png

Nuclear TLI comes online.

YppsnvZ.png

Circularize at 200km around moon.

NtyIGRS.png

Lunar departure Lox/Hyd changing to pure Hydrogen nuclear.

PnM2IFo.pngJ4RAzv0.png

Last of the TEI burn finished with the Cygnus leaving both nuclear stages in lunar orbit.  Each has a couple of ports on the so they can be re-used later.

lqJJsxA.png

3100 science and two more exprienced 'nauts.

Edited by Bornholio

I built a corvette—a space one—and had it face off against another one.

1tZeoyf.png

I chose not to model missiles, due to part count.

x6JW5hG.png

While the ship was between 10-20 kilometers, the ship locked onto the enemy, but didn't shoot, despite my attempt at manually doing so, since the ship would temporarily drop off the radar. I think having a second one would allow for consistent locking. The shot observed there is one of the first.

l9DI6XS.png

A very near miss. 

vupScS5.png

One of the first hits on this corvette—it smashes one of the countermeasures and takes out a whole armor panel. At this point the ships are within 5 kilometers—practically point blank range (In reality both ships would likely be smashed to bits by now).

n3VcnJi.png

This hit strips off much of the front, and a railgun is shot off. In the distance, one of the shots strikes the other ship. 

Gdy7EN6.png

Despite being what I had initially considered to be missile defense turrets, the relatively small lasers cause multiple explosions. 

o49heKJ.png

This is probably about where closest approach was, a few hundred meters. 

sgpVQLC.png

This ship has been heavily compromised. Almost all armor on this side is destroyed, much of it's armament is wrecked, the fuel tanks are exposed, and so are the crew compartments.

6932vhb.png

The other ship stood up better, but is still in pretty bad condition. The crew compartment and fuel tanks are exposed, and while the front has been practically blown off, the armor is still far more intact than the other ship. 

The next test will likely involve missiles.

I developed a naming scheme/code for docking ports and spent half my day making new configurations, many of which will end up on one of my space stations eventually, save for 0=3l m2, which will help with SSTOs by providing a solid connection through a set of 3 size 0 ports that fit perfectly on a mk2 fuselage

Port/Cluster - Port [A? (Adapter)][C? (Cluster)] {[[port size (0, 1, 2)]-[port size (if fusion) (0, 1, 2)(lower numbers first)]=[number of said ports (starting at 1)][location of ports (t (top), r (radial), b (bottom), l (linear))(descending from top)]} Repeat as needed
Ex - Port C 1-2=t 1=8r 1-2=1b

Here, have an image, it'll help :)

Edited by Fireheart318

You'll love this:

Started a new career game, when creating a custom Kerbal (a very stupid scientist) the random name generator gave me Pepe as a name.

Well, Kerbals are green... 

After a quick search online for an appropriate mission flag, I started up a space program for Kekistan!

I also built an SSTO that can get to Minmus with literally fumes in the tank. I also found that the Convertotron 125 is overheating even though I have enough radiators to cool it. (before you ask, yes, I attached the radiators directly to the converter and turned them on. The converter doesn't cool down at all.)

3 hours ago, Vanguard319 said:

I also found that the Convertotron 125 is overheating even though I have enough radiators to cool it. (before you ask, yes, I attached the radiators directly to the converter and turned them on. The converter doesn't cool down at all.)

Do you have enough juice and shade to run them? When in doubt, ALT+F12 and thermal debug.

Edited by PT
blah, I am blind today

Operating my heavy exploration rover (100% stock) "Crawler"

bAsyfQb.png

And because I got bored, I'm just strapping together some GN Drives and send it to escape trajectory just to burn some money :P

8tOzZe4.png

KTU4ZGi.png

mAcsfaV.png

Currently trying to figure out how to salvage my Mun base.

It went full turtle after an attempt to use the landing legs to flip it into the correct orientation, and was not designed with enough reaction wheels to right itself if flipped (I wasn't expecting to really do any maneuvering after landing).

hDSHWrq.jpg

I also need to attach about 6700EC worth of batteries, because for whatever reason I didn't notice that while making the contract. Might bring another antenna too. I need to bring 3 pilots and an engineer (not technically required but s/he will help with the mining) so I already needed to make a trip to it anyways. I'm also thinking of adding a rover garage so I can do exploration of my own, so its batteries should help with that.

So... how to flip the base over... I'm thinking of retracting the legs and using a mast with a claw on the end to grab the LfOx tank after I've drained the fuel from it, and using a thruster (maybe the crew lander) at the end to roll whole the thing over. I'm kind of worried that I might sheer off another one of the solar panels though... ah well, if I do, they're not too expensive.

Oh, I also broke the game:

85C0tiI.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139