What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Apollo 12 & 13 (Worse & Better)

Apollo 12 started off with weather above me....

2OwhhMl.png4zNwsjJ.png

Lightning strike scared everyone but the mission didn't abort.

EVVOXre.png

Stage one motor drop at 2.5G resulted in catastrophic fairing seperation.  something buckled as the motor shock hit the upper craft.  The CM/Transit bus tie downs collapsed in the high dynamic pressure.

Catherine Mitchell started the abort eject procedure rapidly (SMASH SPACE BAR!)...

6yI5KRX.png

Eject LEM & Abort sustainer

BQIFfUx.png

cascade failure in the Saturn downrange on radar...

CdT9Mwp.png

Happy splashdowns for crew.

BSvICyK.png

Apollo 13 went smooth

WQqg5fI.pngwuh3Hgy.png

Home safely, misssion control was performing de-orbit and debris tracking when the Apollo 8 LEM was recontacted. Somehow it had been ejected from earth SOI and now rested in an interplanetary 1y47d orbit.

pY8MH8o.png

Still with trickle charging RTG to work with science was recovered from this region of space.  Bonus!

Looking for advice on how to Kronal Kraft Viewer to function....all i get is black.

@CatastrophicFailure Then i have to dock an extra time.... bah. Safety last!

Edited by Bornholio

8 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Stage one motor drop at 2.5G resulted in catastrophic fairing seperation.  something buckled as the motor shock hit the upper craft.  The CM/Transit bus tie downs collapsed in the high dynamic pressure.

Catherine Mitchell started the abort eject procedure rapidly (SMASH SPACE BAR!)...

Probably why that other Apollo put the LEM behind the CSM...:wink:

2 hours ago, The Moose In Your House said:

Why I didn't press the like button:

I am so glad that you re-quoted with the video from Matt Lowne. I have a ton of respect for Matt. I watched his videos before I even had KSP on PC and was so excited by this game, that I was watching everything KSP-related on YouTube. Even more respect for seeing how he spent the time to thoroughly review, refute, and explain the Harzard-ish video.  

Sure, the Hazard-ish video is cool and I'll admit I was pretty amazed (before seeing Matt's video) how Hazard-ish got there and back with such little fuel (even without knowing the math). Then to understand that he "cheated" by advertising "stock" when in fact he was doing something else, it's just disappointing for the original video.

I hope Matt has gotten a ton more subscribers from the community based on his honesty in his video.

For future readers: I'm not sure if I can promote YouTuber links directly in this thread, but go look up Matt Lowne on his KSP forum profile and check out his YouTube channel for more excellent KSP content.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Paraglider wing?? PARAGLIDER WING?!?!?!? SOMEONE'S FINALLY MADE A PARAGLIDER WING FOR KSP?? 

What sourcery is this??

The CONTARES mod by @hraban. The wing has been around now since... August, if memory serves me correctly. If you just want the paragliding wing, and not the 2,000 + other item that come with it, just delete everything except the 'Utils' folder in Contares/Parts. (It might also be called 'Utilities.' I'm not known for great memory.)

35 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

The CONTARES mod by @hraban. The wing has been around now since... August, if memory serves me correctly. If you just want the paragliding wing, and not the 2,000 + other item that come with it, just delete everything except the 'Utils' folder in Contares/Parts. (It might also be called 'Utilities.' I'm not known for great memory.)

Just do not exaggerate! There are only ~ 500 other helpful and meaningful parts :wink:

@Triop - This is quickly turning into an arms race :D

Oh, also mind sending me the craft file without the navigation lights?

Edited by qzgy

The test phase of the new Mothership begins by mounting the rover on the lander. Besides, I take one of the additional tanks with Iota.

eWXk4sa.jpg

Works everything quite well so far.

IIz4WRB.jpg

The new Rover also works as it should. The crew discovers a huge hole in the surface. Perhaps we can solve our garbage problems in the future by using the hole as a garbage chute.:D

VjmMvXJ.jpg

The tank was filled and everything comes back to its place at the mothership.

5yT99du.jpg

The next thing to test is to land the whole ship on Iota.

9DAoNKO.jpg

It works more or less well. The place must be very flat otherwise it can easily tilt.

f3d2NEY.jpg

The start is again smooth.

4PCZg6K.jpg

Afterwards I wanted to see if I could use the mothership to catch asteroids - this is only the second time that I visit an asteroid. For this, I fixed the claw at the bottom of the lander and the lander to the front end of the mothership. Theoretically, I could then use the ISRU of the lander. I could catch the asteroid but unfortunately the drills are too far away from the surface of the asteroid.

CoUsmCA.jpg

This means that I have to make small changes to the final design again. When I'm at it, does anyone of you know a way to calculate the range when you use an asteroid as "additional tank"?
Can the formula DV = 9.81 * Isp * ln (Mw / Md) be used? How much fuel can be produced from e.g. 2000 tons of ore? A ton of ore - a ton of liquid fuel at 100% ISRU efficiency? That would be great.
Questions about questions.

34 minutes ago, hraban said:

Just do not exaggerate! There are only ~ 500 other helpful and meaningful parts :wink:

Well, there are still over 2,000 items in the Contares folder alone, enough so that it adds anot her 10 minutes to my game loading time. That's why I just use the 'Utility' folder in Contaes/Parts, rather than the full pack, as it adds just the Paraglider wing.

I’m back to my stockish KSP installation, migrated to 1.3.

Starting to have a large fleet of (big) vessels, I decided I needed a space port to host them around Kerbin.

hP3VI8T.png

A full album with some pictures from the launch is below

Im pretty low in the stage of career mode compared to you peeps.

I just landed on the Mün, not the first time ever, i have done this dozens of times, but first in my career save i geuss.

6lrG0Kv.png

Im building a Space Station up next. And hopefully after that i will get acces to some more 2.5m gizmos.

On 27/05/2017 at 6:26 PM, Julien Kerman said:

So today I built a new rocket in order to launch my first moon probes. Payload to LEO: ~ 7-8 tons, Payload to the moon: ~2-3 tons.

tENXyim.jpg

Boosters: 4 x LR-79

z2wgfne.jpg

Core stage: 1 x RD-108

x9828AK.jpg

Upper stage: 1 x LR-91

The rocket worked perfectly, I launched at least 7 of them to the moon in order to satisfy contracts or get science points.

7GNfhQT.jpg

Jbehebv.jpg

Makes me want to get RP-0 for my RO install so bad, but my slow internet makes it feel like im working 24 hours a day for like a stupid fidget spinner.

Nice job though!

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

1 Maverick ought to do it!

R2DnIY3.png

OMK ! JEB !

JEEEEEEB ! ! 1 eleven

You took him from behind, didn't ya you dirty scoundrell.. :lol:

giphy.gif

You came and got some.

Edited by Triop

Been doing some final testing of my rover and Mun-base-fixer-thing on Kerbin before sending it to space.

ckdCeBC.jpg

Basically the rover carries a mast with a claw on one end and attaches it to the base.

DDWdj9X.jpg

It then detaches and drives away. The engine is activated and the pole gives it enough of a moment arm to flip the base over. Still a little worried about the solar panels getting crushed. Might bring some spares just in case. Still need to do a test to confirm that the engine is capable of flipping the base, as the base isn't perfectly round and easy to roll like the orange fuel tank. Then again, the Mun has weaker gravity so...

AGA4vqt.jpg

This is my current landing configuration... ...... ...I just realized I still need to bring a whole lot of batteries to the base. Maybe I can attach them to the mast.

Anyways, I've got four tourists who want to go to the Mun, so I'll be able to make maximum use of my available crew space. I'll (probably) have the Kolumbine CEV (seen in background) boosting me to the Mun, so I can stick a pilot, a scientist, and an engineer in there, and a pilot and the 4 tourists in the small lander. ...Hmmm... contract says I need another pilot... Anyone volunteer to sit in a rover seat right next to high velocity rocket exhausts? :sticktongue: jk I guess I'll bring one of the tourists or the scientist on a later trip.

Also tried out 1.3

SHAVHfr.jpg

It's awesome... except that there's still GC stutter. :( Ah well, my understanding is that that's a problem more with Unity itself than with KSP. So many other bugs fixed though! Thanks Squad! :D

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

22 minutes ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Ever wonder what it would look like if an AT-AT stood next to a sand crawler?

Image may contain: sky

Well wonder no more...

- Jett

Wow. Now what would be awesome is if the AT-AT moved....

44 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Wow. Now what would be awesome is if the AT-AT moved....

I'm going to see if I can make it walk using the Infernal Robotics mod, but that's a project for another time.  Today I just rammed it with the crawler... great fun!

- Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

After a few less than optimal attempts, I got the Roswell Mk IV Automated Rescue Pod rendezvoused with the remains of the command module from the failed test of the Nomad colony ship, before the life support ran out:

2E485BE484A7454F4B5DDAB18D6A5631340F53CFB24BFF7E1985AFDDEDC8BBAADF2227C9424640F204582F401F48D0C75ED27A7D469CE3F418A81731

Gusley and Danlinne were thrilled to be back on terra firma, but were still a little sad when the Nomad was deorbited:

AAEB559C6131827B646FE6DB51840C245C98E27A

Amazingly, the Nomad survived re-entry -- just not lithobraking!

This is good news, as that means I can not only dispense with the plan to attach escape pods directly to the command module, but could even consider removing the four Roswell-class pods from the vessel -- just add a decoupler and some RCS (and chutes!) to the command module itself.

So, out of a catastrophic failure of a test comes much learning. (Plus, I was really rusty at the orbital mechanics for rendezvous.)

-Jn-