What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Stock Coaxial helicopter development is going well. This is stable(-ish) and runs at 30 rads or so. Now wondering if its small enough for a replica I plan on making.

CGejWBr.png

And if that's not bright enough *cough azimech  cough*

YrHGU8t.png

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

Stock Coaxial helicopter development is going well. This is stable(-ish) and runs at 30 rads or so. Now wondering if its small enough for a replica I plan on making.

CGejWBr.png

And if that's not bright enough *cough azimech  cough*

YrHGU8t.png

Daytime pictures are so much easier ;-)

Designing new model of a broadcast hoverdrone.

0JwAAeY.png

This hovercraft features longer table and more reporters/casters.

UPQGp3Z.png

If flies! Not so well, and needs to be gentle and careful, but it flies anyway.

BhFFiw1.png

Here we landed! Now you can broadcast something on the R&D bridge!

So what to introduce, that is the question...

It's been a long time, Mun. It's time to go back, Apollo Style :D.

LlcHSZH.png

Long time no see, space.

Lunar Module docking 

mmm0r3m.png

Within my reach, the Mun!

H4CTaJW.png

We have landed.

TqqtP8M.png

Time to leave and return to the Main Command Module

aLLEfkb.png

Aerobraking to save Delta-V

RnJufAg.png

Re-entry

tTBevmE.png

Made it back safe, and in one try :D

0cpxnBz.png

RpsEJu8.png

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

On 6/13/2017 at 7:16 PM, Triop said:

schematics.jpg

On 6/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, TheDARKOMETER said:

pbDz5xO.png

dZG3Bcf.png

Totally stealing this design. (And maybe that plane in your signature)

19 hours ago, Triop said:

ipO8w2v.png

Pretty........ So... So..... Pretty.............. Is there a KerbalX link?

Edited by DarkOwl57

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Thank you so much. Would you be okay if I used this in my new story?

Sure. If you don't mind, can you credit me somewhere for the craft?

Oh, also, the camo is not on the craft. I think you would have to ask @Triop for the files.

Edited by qzgy

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

Sure. Before the chapter I'll list any craft I used (If they're from other people)

Oh, and send me a link when it's published! I'd like to read.

I was working on a space plane, and I finally got it to orbit. This was early on in my current career save. I had managed to strand Val in orbit. I decided to do something that I would never normally do... build a spaceplane. I called it the ABI-01, for "A Bad Idea 1." What's weird is that it worked...

Adeig3i.jpg

Here it is on the pad. Quite the monstrosity. I was playing on a modified easy level of difficulty. I'm here for fun, not tedium. Anyways, that's why the pad is upgraded. Below is the rocket on its ascent. This thing was a beast to fly. It kept trying to flip over after the first stage, but luckily I had enough control authority to overcome it.

onjlQUg.jpg

And below is the rescue itself. This plane had very poor handling and could barely pull itself out of a steep dive. But it worked.

GaIxnm6.jpg

I used this plane for a few missions afterwards, but it was quickly superseded by the ABI-02! Unlike the 01, the 02 could actually land, since it has landing gear. Not to mention it had much better handling. The version shown here is actually a sort of block 2, as the original ABI-02 did not have a docking port. The mission here is to rendezvous with a small station in orbit.

0wc3oNi.jpg

Shown below is the spaceplane with the station. Notice the wing mounted wheel up in front.

R7xGTDb.jpg

Using this new design I had much more flexibility. I mainly used it for tourist contracts. Here's a picture of the landing from one of these missions. This is the earlier version without a docking port. I'm quite happy that I finally landed a spaceplane at KSC.

EqhudJE.jpg

Here's a view of the plane on the runway.

rnldbqP.jpg

And here's a weird glitch or something I encountered on my way to the runway...

GqzXQ5h.jpg

The reason for the jet engines is to give me some leeway when I'm on approach to KSC.

This is where things got hairy. The backstory of this image is a fairly successful munar mission. Loads of science, loads of money, and lots of fun. But on the way back, poor old Jeb ran out of propellant. He managed to get himself into a highly inclined eccentric medium orbit. The only problem was that I forgot to leave him some fuel to get into the rescue ship...

5fA90X2.jpg

So I had to essentially use a main engine, without any RCS, to put the ladder close enough to Jeb so he could get inside. It took a while, but I got him on the ladder.

Anyhow, I did a bunch of other stuff, but this post is getting pretty long. And I'm having trouble finding screenshots...

Another day, another moon. All my heavy launch vehicles tend to have two Mammoth sustainers and two Twin-Boar boosters these days.

Spoiler

vall_trip_1.jpeg

The ship itself was smaller than usual, as it was supposed to land on Vall on its own.

vall_trip_2.jpeg

I had never seen the Vallhenge before. It was much larger than what I expected.

vall_trip_3.jpeg

The same four kerbals as always.

Spoiler

vall_trip_4.jpeg

I had to use two Thuds as VTOL engines. The gravity on Vall is too strong for the uphill landings I use on smaller moons.

Spoiler

vall_trip_5.jpeg

Time to go home.

vall_trip_6.jpeg

In order to accommodate the VTOL engines, the ship had smaller than usual fuel tanks. While my typical Jool exploration ships have 10 km/s at LKO, the Vall ship only had 8 km/s. That meant an interplanetary launch directly from a Vall orbit with a 60-degree inclination, and aerobraking for over 1 km/s at Kerbin.

Spoiler

vall_trip_7.jpeg

The usual crew recovery with a spaceplane. I overshot the runway by 100 km and had to fly back, as I had no idea how to return from an orbit with a 24-degree inclination.

Spoiler

vall_trip_8.jpeg

vall_trip_9.jpeg