What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

Thanks, never seen them this close before.

You did didn't you, in a negative G dive ? :cool:

Yep, I have a great Polaroid of it, But I can't tell you where it happened, I can tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

*cough*Just Near the KSC*cough*

Edit: I used This Camera on the MiG :D

Fo16PhO.png

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

Today I learned that Map View is pretty much useless when landing on Gilly.  The "map" surface is nowhere NEAR the "real" surface.  I also learned how easy it is to crash into a mountain, that is invisible in the night (I use SVE - nighttime in space is DARK), that IS NOT THERE in Map View--and how shocking it is when you're drifting (I can't bring myself to call it "orbiting" at ~20 m/s) innocently along and your ship appears to just spontaneously explode.  (Hooray for remembering to save first!)

Edited by Srpadget

What's the camo mod again?

Edit: And I equipped my SB-1 'Dragonfly' bomber with @MiffedStarfish's bombs and missiles:

Spoiler

pdWDqLG.jpg
The extra large landing gear and the Mk1 Cockpit are meant to be together...
p32qm9E.jpg
Missiles away!
XpMz60H.jpg
Dropping some bombs on the VAB. No more rockets for you! You must make planes!

Edited by Skylon

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Where is this challenge you speak of?

The challenge that I'm making this spacecraft for? It's here.

It doesn't require Kerbalism, I'm just using it because I want to familiarize myself with it before getting particularly far with my new playthrough. And since I haven't actually done the Doing It Apollo Style challenge yet, I figured doing it and trying to get the maximum number of points will be helpful for getting some practice with Kerbalism.

Tail hook landing a behemoth space plane:

Landing a behemoth space plane/ssto/lab by tail hook on the Mun. You can barely see it, but there's a landing strut on the back of the engine to force the craft to pivot forward from a slow vertical descent.

Available here:

https://kerbalx.com/Maelstrom_Vortex/Project-Phoenix-21-Spaceplan-Variant

On 5/16/2017 at 0:42 PM, Bornholio said:

MAXIMUM LITHIUM!   On to other news the cost of new cellphone batteries to triple this month....

LOL, I fund the EC usage to be ridiculously high.But Nertea thoughtfully included a patch file to change the specs of all engines in that mod. The first time I used one of these engines it sucked all the power in the ship in seconds.

I unlocked the J-2 engines, so I could finally build the Saturn V. Actually I made two versions:

7Q4MOuT.jpg

Saturn Va with FASA parts

xpaLQEu.jpg

And Saturn Vb with procedural parts. Then I realized that I have to upgrade my launchpad because the rockets are too tall.

BTW I wonder why the procedural parts version is twice as expensive and takes 460 days instead of 200 days.

The Venus transfer window opened, so I launched my first Venus Lander Probe on top of a Titan 3E (this rocket launched the Voyager probes in 1977)

Spoiler

Rb4L0gI.jpg

Au4Kzxh.jpg

In my opinion it looks quite similar :) . It has realistic deltaV, thrust and mass stats

Venus transfer:

6OWo4NF.jpg

Probe separation:

OfeQKcm.jpg

Edited by Julien Kerman

Made another big plane, for "oversized" payloads. Previous plane had a large cargo bay made of opened Mk2 cargo bays: it looked OK but the cargo bay itself was very draggy and it did not shield the payload from drag, plus due to the wings, fuel tanks and gear structures in the middle it was too narrow to fit a 3.75m tank all the way through. So I removed the cargo bay, and got what is essentially an airborne flatbed:

VpF6SIs.png

I can now lift pretty much anything up to 200t over 1500km (range with the three empty rocket cores weighing 160t overall, cut that down to 1000km for a heavier and draggier payload).

Edited by Gaarst

2 hours ago, Kerbital said:

LOL, I fund the EC usage to be ridiculously high.But Nertea thoughtfully included a patch file to change the specs of all engines in that mod. The first time I used one of these engines it sucked all the power in the ship in seconds.

As they should, that thing needs big nuclear power, solars not gonna cut it and even then they are cheaty. not that cheaty is bad.

Well im still developing my deep space ship build mostly with NFT parts(Near future Technologies), and i just found out severe design flaw: i can dock lander with ship but i cannot refuel it my ship has wrong fuel witch is ok for ship, but no way lander could use it so i need too add fuel tank on ship any good suggestion?

Here is image of first prototype sadly do not have pic of prototype 2:

Spoiler

Posnetek_zaslona_13.png

Started a new 1.3 career with Community Tech Tree, parts buy in on and reputation rewards set to 10%. An initial concentration on obtaining science parts led to a bit of a grind doing every landed/splashed test contract to obtain enough funds to run around KSC grabbing science from every mini biome to get actual rocket parts followed by more contracts to pay for said parts....

With finances finally on the up and tourist orbit contracts the main breadwinner management finally sanctioned a test airship. The A1 is designed to hoover up all the remaining science from around Kerbin and chase down any anomalies detected by the newly launched orbital scanner. Her two crew have enough supplies for a year and with the electric engines can operate without refuelling.

After a couple of test lurches and some fettling in the hanger Jeb felt confident enough to take her out to "discover" the island airstrip.

screenshot0_zpsodyqanmz.png

Handling was described as "Gud" but performance got "Well it's faster than walking". And then Jeb glanced at his EC remaining........

The extremely sedate ride back was spent explaining to the design team their failings, the failings of their parents and the likely fate of their offspring.

Been working on a new shuttle lately, the Burro:

Burro.png

It's just a larger, unmanned version of the Songbird. Because it's larger, it has more Delta-V and can carry larger payloads

Burro_Cargo_Bay.png

Re-entry went well...

Burro_Reentry.png

...And I managed to land before nightfall

Burro_Landed.png

Not that it would've mattered, since testing pointed out a critical design flaw: the solar panels were being obstructed by the cargo bay. This is why testing is important.

Tests with a payload were also successful, although I didn't take any pictures. It had nowhere near as much delta-v as it did without a payload, but it still made it to orbit and deposited the payload.

So overall this is a very promising craft! As much as I like the Songbird, I feel like this has much more potential as a LKO shuttle thanks to its larger payload capacity. The Songbird still works fine as an interplanetary craft, although I may need to work on a better lifter.

Edited by Brownhair2