What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made this Horrifying Contraption.

UMP1ONC.png

And then I made it better.

W2k3mpN.png

I finished the K.S.S DEOSC.

GA61Pai.png?1

I still have 25 days until the Duna Transfer window, so I think I'll rig up a Pathfinder Base Delivery System(PBDS).

This will soon be detailed in my mission report,

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Just made a short 800 km flight to a desert for some science points as Kerbin is a place I know way less than the Mun (...).

As the last flight to the North Pole finished with an emergency landing due to a lack of fuel I decided to design a new craft with a better range but cruising slower... Alpha : 

nF2YhDK.png

To not repeat the same mistake than the precedent flight the take-off was made in dry mode. But despite its important mass it answers pretty well to the controls.

SYZypZc.png

The first desert destination was chosen for its short distance from the KSC. Then it quickly appeared the geography of the terrain was too rough for an aircraft landing...

ROLkhXo.png

... we therefore kept on. Heading West-South-West and hoping to find a better landscape for the landing. The craft having drunk about 15% of its fuel we should have more than enough time to find it.

mUmVM37.png

wtkjG4A.png

Then after 20 more minutes some kind of a more flat hill was spotted. A low pass-by confirmed the better geography of the spot and the decision was taken to land.

lR5cJzI.png

Despite a low vertical speed and an average air speed this landing clearly was one of the worst I ever made... but Samus seems to think about it differently.

FYGx8Yx.png

ethUuKv.png

The braking chute nearly was useless at such a low speed. Anyway, Alpha stopped quickly to rest of that soft slop. With all the test being done, nearly 300 science point were earned. Alas the Sun appeared to be very low at the time... and the KSC being already in the dark it was decided to come back the next day.

It's about damn time I made something like an F-22 in this game. :mad: This warplane features good fuel economy, maneuverability, high TWR, and can supercruise at Mach 1.5 Dry at around 50-60% Thrust. 

i2bnLvz.png

PRdqlEn.png

2gk8hvf.png

q8s1FCN.png

Would anyone like some freedom?

NWh3JxU.png

gno0N1K.png

Load em up Bill!

aSeFp85.png\

It's even powerful enough to go to Laythe! jk :D, but why not try flying in it's atmosphere ?

ZI4Vznu.png

hrrNJlB.png

LCf9fkR.png

Edited by TheDARKOMETER

Thanks to countless tourist flights combined with plant a flag contracts DH has an embarrassment of riches. However all this frantic avarice has meant that the probe designed for Duna has missed the transfer window <embarrassment intensifies>. To fill in the time Munar and Minimal bases are being deployed. Supposedly to fulfil contracts and support future exploration but mostly for funsies.

The old MOM (Mission Oriented Module) concept designs were dragged over from 2.whatever and updated. Landed using the Deliverance system all went well. The Mun packages landed surprisingly close to the Deli class lander and it's Giggity rover. The Minmus missions landed on the same Flats at least and had to delicately trundle across to the planned site.

screenshot5

With the core modules in place digging up ore and turning it into crunchy snacks attention turned to the expedition rovers. The Globetrotter design received a few tweaks and took a few test runs totally failing to crash, explode or suffer any existence failures. However it was felt the upscaled Deliverance (which could land two of the rovers) and is commonly known as "McDonalds" was a tad overblown and needed a replacement. The booster stage has been retained in case we need to place an office building in orbit (lack of Frogstar fighters).

A  slightly widened cargo bay cunningly flipped gives clearance for the wider rover whilst removing the need for a 200ft shoehorn to get out.

screenshot8

After a few hamfisted attempts at space an uncrewed rover was eventually deposited on the Mun. Glaring design flaws were immediately apparent when after wrestling the Deliverance into position the EC ran out. Oooops. With nothing to lose it was decided to try and lever the hulk clear by extending the Gigantor. Initially it appeared to be working.....

screenshot14

However things rapidly took a turn for the Kerbal.

screenshot15

The mission was quickly reclassified as "seismic testing" and a couple of solar panels placed outside. Feeling that the overall design was valid two scientists and an engineer were stuffed into a replacement and hurled Munwards. This time things went flawlessly except for an unexpectedly broken antenna. Loss of contact proved no hurdle to the crew who bundled the engineer out to scavenge the lower rated one off the Deliverance. It's not like it was going to need it...

screenshot17

With all the assets in place the slide rule jockeys put heir feet up and the grease monkey tried to up the mining efficiency whilst contemplating rejigging the Giggity rover as a personal transport using the seats stowed in it's lockers.

screenshot18

With all the kinks worked out the Minmus side of things went off without a hitch.

screenshot19

Except for the rover antenna breaking again. Ho hum.

Tried to visit a friend in DMP in a jet car. Got within 3km then bottomed out the suspension on a small hill.

2017-07-23%2020-41-50.png

Tried to visit in a helicopter. Went well...

2017-07-23%2020-57-26.png

...until I landed, and my rotor disappeared. Then 30 seconds later it respawned inside the fuselage flipping the thing upsidedown.

2017-07-23%2021-00-53.png

Tried to visit in a plane shipped on a rocket. Should have given the fairing more ejection force.

2017-07-23%2021-24-11.png

I worked more on a new replica project with stock parts. Complete with one type of plane used for parabolic flight (although the Goliath engines are not very good substitutions for the real one).

I may download RSS to launch this.

Edited by Paculo
Afterthought

While Samus was taking a brake onboard Alpha, Steven for his part was on the way to brought back Vishnu and his passengers to Kerbin  :

fsGObGg.png

With almost 1400 m/s stil available a circularization at 150 km was possible, the KSC being at a total opposite position at this time...

74lYOGs.png

Then about 8 orbits later the deorbiting maneuver finally was executed with success. But it seems like the greens onboard didn't have the same opinions about...

cXlWLeE.png

The craft quickly became the slave of the atmosphere and was not able to keep an angle up to 10 degrees...

Hq4CtSC.png

... this hopefully was sufficient to brake enough and not overshot the runway too much.

P16KQM0.png

Positioning the X-21A for a direct landing on the 27. Despite a slow speed of 120 m/s Vishnu still was maneuverable and stable...

pXc9UfY.png

This was without counting on the terrible dive needed to lose enough height, as it now was too late to reroute for RWY 09. Hopefully the main elevons could be used as some good speed-brakes.

VA0zFxC.png

On short final, the speed appeared to be a bit low despite the 19 degrees of pitch but still good enough. This was without counting we were heading 278 like a cross-wind landing, but in a craft with terrible rudder controls!

Eqz8np6.png

T4LG5fx.png

YxjeKFF.png

Touchdown! Apart of the terrible suspension configuration results the whole braking part was soft and easy, the braking chute being, once again, totally useless but nice to deploy.

nZFWzLg.png

Another excellent job from Steven while Aslorf still seemed to recover from her experience of a special flight saving her... while the two tourists stayed inside, probably filling up the vomit bags.

Landed a small probe on Mars. No pics, the Potato Visual Enhancements think Mars' atmosphere is blue and green for some reason. The orbiter then departed on a slightly convoluted journey to Deimos. Could have even gone for Phobos if I hadn't entered orbit carelessly. 80° relative inclination proved to be too much. 

zIrqWBv.png

2SaE1yS.png

NbjN6dt.png

Expected high orbit flight in career, but instead got lucky and was captured by Mun. Ended doing low orbit Mun circ. and return, whilst having un-upgraded DSN level 1 (lack of funds!) with no reloading/retries.

iK0NzSP.pngYEB6gXH.pnggXzbZcT.png

YT5CvO7.pngGxINiau.pngDjl6N1E.png

Cbjl15S.pngWMe1Ycw.png Ij16iEE.png

using Stock Part Revamp for awesome retextured/remodelled parts and the PPD-2 KerbCan with 1 kerbal cap. was very handy!

I've gotten in the habit of accepting any "Ultimate" contract that's offered. This time I might've jumped out the window, though. I accepted these two contracts, which isn't really so crazy, but I'm attempting to do them with a single ship. No real reason, other than the fact that I'm greedy and want to make as much as I can from every launch (even though I stopped needing the money long ago).

Spoiler

screenshot525.png

Spoiler

screenshot526.png

Put this 1,100 part behemoth together and sent Valentina on her way. I don't like sending out single Kerbals, but I was trying to keep this one "small".

screenshot520.png

I don't know the Delta V (and I didn't test the Tylo lander), but I'm reasonably confident I'll make it. Guess I'll find out in a decade or so.

screenshot521.png

Went to Minmus first, to scratch that one off the list and refuel the main ship. Valentina's in good spirits.

screenshot522.png

I love doing "the Minny dive", as I call it. If you refuel at Minmus, then drop to about 72km or so, you can make a very easy transfer that saves you a bunch of Delta V. It can be tough to get the timing right, but it works so well that it's definitely worth it. I got this sweet transfer to Eve for a grand total of about 460m/s. That's including the 150m/s it cost to drop down from Minmus.

screenshot524.png

I'll adjust course a bit to use Eve to drop me down to Moho. I wanna head there first, then step my way up the planetary ladder until I've landed on all 10 worlds. I'm also heading there first just to get it over with. I really hate Moho. It's become my personal nemesis. I'd seriously rather land on Eve. Hopefully all goes well.

Presenting the Penguin, the world's fastest sub!*

Penguin.png

Penguin_Speed.png

Yes, in case you couldn't tell, it is also a plane.

Penguin_Takeoff_Water.png

What stops me from submerging any plane and calling it a submarine? Well... nothing, but... but... BUT THIS ONE IS A SUBMARINE!

*may not actually be the world's fastest sub

Played around with a beautiful launch system. May need more delta-v, but has plenty of thrust to compensate.

nHUGb90.png

5EsPN8D.png

QX32fXn.png

Keen people will see that it is, not accidentally at all, based on the New Glenn.

Edited by qzgy

I've been playing around with free return trajectories around The Moon (SSRSS 2.5x). Nailed it tonight :D 

Moon flyby at 34,998m Periapsis and then a return to Earth re-entry with a 35,750m Periapsis

fhl5YJu.png

Flyby Sampler with Sample Return Capsule up front and 2 each Goo and Compact Material Samplers (custom). Ven's Stock Revamp'd parts

DoQMKVp.png

Edited by Tyko

Today I tried to build a MK2 Space shuttle in Realism Overhaul.

G8INnV5.jpg

Shuttle main engines: 2x HG-3 (1400 kn)

Orbital maneuver system: 2x Gemini Lander engine (13 kn)

Boosters: 2x UA-1205 (5000 kn)

EsnJr2X.jpg

ylGxhA0.jpg

Orbit insertion using the OMS engines. 146km x 237km

jcn9LOq.jpg

During descent I realized..........that I forgot landing wheels :(

njypTDu.jpg

OpMyzVC.jpg

Meh.... still not perfect :D

I think i will change the wing design, because the shuttle flies like a stone instead of gliding though the air.

On 22.07.2017 at 10:31 PM, cratercracker said:

3. Maiden Flight of "Agata" rocket carying the faulty payload- ''DFM" (Data From Mun)

This thing is reaaally fast with its first stage.. (Note: GOTTA GO FAST)

Altough the "lander" spinned out of control during the descent burn....

aDsQjCI.png pkp3YaE.png

0ys9s6S.png 857C9Qr.png

eJmO5vC.png

And then we lost it...

Forgot to tell that launcher is a Vega replica.

4 hours ago, Julien Kerman said:

[...]

I think i will change the wing design, because the shuttle flies like a stone instead of gliding though the air.

Sounds just like the real deal. :D

I designed a new heli with an articulated rotor. I also somehow managed to mutate and clone my kerbal while flying it. 

2017-07-24%2021-44-42.png

I tried to make the tail look like it had NOTAR but it didn't quite work because it's beyond the edge of the rotor... ah well

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

28 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I designed a new heli with an articulated rotor. I also somehow managed to mutate and clone my kerbal while flying it. 

2017-07-24%2021-44-42.png

I tried to make the tail look like it had NOTAR but it didn't quite work because it's beyond the edge of the rotor... ah well

WHAT?! HOW?! IS THAT STOCK?!

also 100 posts d:

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

Today was a bit particular to me as I launched for the first time to Juno... no really, since I started to play I just kept on going to the inner planets and always rejected the contracts dedicated to the giant green ball.

Now it's over with the launch of a light/medium satellite called Juno Explorer :

F95rZch.png

With a scanner, a Goo and a Science Jr. it should bring back some nice science points. My greatest fear being a lack of communication, so it's equipped of four different antennas. So if it works properly it could be used as a relay for future satellites. As the transfer windows calculator indicate approx 2800 m/s needed to orbit Jool the Explorer is equipped with 500 more. I just hope this light safety surplus could be used after to realize some fly-by of the planet satellites.

NC2GM7m.png

Launch happened on year 5, day 340 on-board a stock Ariane 6-like launcher, for the cost of 74000. Despite the thrust of each SRB reduced to 85% the whole system quickly appeared to be overpowered.

FixoNOr.png

As a result the speed already was at 1400 m/s at the time of the first stage separation. Then a bit like Ariane's Vulcain the launcher main engine is nothing else than a Skipper. Despite being totally underpowered the launcher, hopefully, kept on accelerating slowly in the thinner atmosphere, still having about 2800 m/s available at this time.

bGGKuWd.png

Second stage separation. The Ap was perfectly placed at 600 km before the main engine shutdown while the circularization should not cost more than 180 m/s. 

7CY6gLm.png

Then after five days in orbit it finally was the time for the transfer to Juno to happen. Needing 1929 m/s it leaves 713 still available to help for the latter braking maneuver... at least that's what I hope...

9SqR3PW.png

ipuGLhe.png

Saying good-bye to Kerbin as the great journey is just beginning. And see you in 2 years now.

Finished putting together my Apollo 11 48th aniversary vídeo, from a flight I did on the 21st July :). Complete with "as close as possible to real mission" simulated flight on KSP,  RO, RSS, FAR, etc... Technical comments, real timeline (as close as possible), real time excerpts of Apollo comms, real Astronauts names :) (tweaked the gamefile, eheh) and soundtrack (a bit long though :P).

here...

OK, I had the weirdest moment ever.

When returning from the Mun with no fuel (had to jet-push last few km) , I accidentally clicked Warp on the wrong side of the orbit --- and Warped through the Kerbin's atmosphere at 20 km PE .........      -________-

cNKMSwN.png