What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I once again played with SSTOs in my sandbox save. I'm trying to mix Mark IV with OPT for some big beautiful, but at the same pretty low part count planes.

In my career Jeb took yet another trip to the Mun, this time to the north pole for some delicious science, I was worried that it had slightly too little Dv, but it had just the right amount. But as I almost always do, I forgot to observe the materials bay, so I missed out on a lot of science there :/.
I first discovered it when I was 300m above Kerbin, and I didn't have time to quickload, so I decided to take it in the mountains as I haven't been there before. Unfortunately it's only a fraction of what I would've gotten on Mun.

cCtB2b6.png

And even more unfortunately my pod slowed down enough so that the chute got cut, but then it started rolling and the bay exploded...

IpwluZP.png

I still got approximately 60 science though.

So far today (And a bit of yesterday) I discovered Rock Bay with the KHMS Dreadnaught.

30590d795f01fa93c854d591eb0ca8bf.png

f858d69024166725a2600a76eacedd4b.png

Luckily it got off and I sent a Fletcher class to further establish this as a base.

597c215450c708469343aeb46d747434.png

As well as a B-17

3a369e45419da82577132f1840055a43.png

(facing where I touched down)

I also want to populate the island with Shermans, but I don't know how to get them there...

ff105f15b9a924950d42c9785dc7136c.png

Put my space station on full load for the first time.

The 3 main docking ports are now occupied by different modules. UTM-2 (fore docking port, up left) brought its crew about 75 days ago and will leave in 75 days too, UTM-3 (aft docking port, bottom right) just arrived with 3 fresh Kerbals staying on board for a standard 150 days. The 3rd operational docking port (nadir port, visible under the port Cupola) is currently occupied by the ReSec module, an experiment on life support resources recycling that has been there for 1 month and will stay there 11 more.

The station has a 4th docking port but it is only to be used in case of emergency. It's located on the safety module (starboard, facing the Cupola) which will serve as a lifeboat in case of a major incident on the station. The port will be used to bring supplies and new modules to bring the crew down to Earth should the main sections be depressurised or inaccessible.

Screenshot of the station, currently passing over Indonesia.

xDRzDCI.png

Other than that, I still have two probes, Aries-Taurus 1 and Aries 2, en route to Saturn and Jupiter's Galilean moons respectively; and I will launch the MOARS (Martian Orbital and Atmospheric Research Satellite) mission pretty soon.
I am also currently developing the Запад-К (Zapad-K) module, an alternative to the current CTV spacecraft (UTM-2 and UTM-3 on the screenshot are 7th generation CTVs), which should perform its maiden flight on the Копьё-В (Kopyo-V) launcher and dock with the station for a short month after UTM-3 frees the spot. If everything goes well, Запад will begin to take Kerbals to the station after UTM-5 for the mission ZTM-1.

Edited by Gaarst

Sent some probes to Saternus

screenshot1798_zpsnbdf21to.png

Then things went kinda kerbel

First I sent 4 probes. When I got there there were 5 moons. Who knew? Not me of course.

screenshot1811_zpsnrugkxvs.png

I got Slade

screenshot1813_zpsul7hgq0m.png

Tekto

screenshot1814_zps04jcdgj1.png

And Eeloo. Note the need to point at Kerbol as I only have solar panels and batteries for power.

screenshot1819_zps7yhpnsjt.png

And I missed Ovok. Was moving too fast with too little T/W to make orbit. I did get some fly by science though.

screenshot1821_zpsrcjokfy5.png

I will probably have to cancel the research of Gratian and try again with other equipment.

It did not go as planned. Although my Lander has more than 3,500 m/s dV, it was just enough to get away from Gratian again. The Lander is simply not aerodynamic enough. I had to find a launchplace over 4000m high. When I started the Gravity Turn too early, the Lander flipped. So I had to fly upwards for a long time before I could build the orbital speed.
After that, I did not have enough oxidizer to land it on Geminus, but needed fuel to get home. So I had to try it together with the mothership and do an "emergency landing" on Geminus. After the refueling I had a fabulous TWR of 1.04, so just barely enough.
This is too delicate to me to do it more than once. So ABORT but - I'll be back (Voice of Arnold S.).
Therefore I have a very rare photo.

N8mWoYK.jpg

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

27 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

Make it like they did at the D-Day That would be something.

studland-bay.jpg

I appreciate you quoting me. But at least quote ME if you're going to quote me. And quote @Spacetraindriver if you're going to quote @Spacetraindriver.

Please pay attention to who and what you're quoting and do not make it look like people said things they never did.

Edited by Tex_NL

Okay. so the Kraken is a little larger than I thought it would be. Getting it back to Kerbin is going to be a harder engineering feat than I thought. I was thinking i could just grab it with an Advanced Grabbing Unit, but that was based on early reports that had the Kraken in a small cage. That is not what I found.

32938412346_d800c57d27_o.jpg

32135520664_f4e76520c2_o.jpg

32938412656_7a478be39d_o.jpg

Maybe I should just concentrate on bringing back what i think is a detached eye first...

32938412726_1b2cce294b_o.jpg

Edited by Ty Tan Tu

So I returned to my career after 3 or 4 month break, probably because of Space-X Falcon launch abort. I wanted to launch a rocket myself again.

And I installed the old Asteroid Day mod, after someone mentioned that it provides a telescope.

So I launched my 1.25m-based rocket and put my beautiful telescope on perfect circular 600km orbit.

gallery_25108_80_1346296.png

Only to realize that I forgot the antenna, so I couldn't be able to send any data.

REVERT.

I launched my second 1.25m-based rocket and put my beautiful telescope with brand new antenna on perfect circular 600km orbit.

Only to realize that the telescope needs to be placed on solar orbit to do anything.

REVERT

Fortunately I had enough delta-v to perform a burn. Also got nice gravity assist from the Mun, and now I'm in orbit scanning Duna and I have no idea what is going on.

7 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

It's pretty small. Strap on a parachute and airdrop it from a Mk3 cargobay.

I was thinking about that but my not-yet-proven-yet-painfully-obvious OCD kicked in and I was like, Nahh. The island is essentially a WW2 era island.

7 hours ago, astroheiko said:

Make it like they did at the D-Day That would be something.

Which is what I'm doing and refining right now! I actually jumped onto this idea literally minutes after my last post :P 

43d5f87753568846b1a343a4d8d7a179.png

Today I started a Science game (didn't get rid of the Sandbox I've been playing in, of course).

I was immediately appalled at how few parts there are before collecting some science.  The Jumping Flea prebuilt vessel exists because it's about all you can build at the start of a Science or Career.  So, I launched one.

Well, first, I went to the Astronaut Complex and hired everyone who was standing around looking for a job.  Pilots, scientists, and engineers, all of 'em.  Science game, it's not real money.  :sticktongue:

So, I ordered Sherny Kerman into the Mk. 1 on top of that little bitty solid rocket, with its little bitty fins, and sent him into the upper atmosphere like Spam in the can, along with two goo canisters and a parachute.  He landed back on the crawlerway, and his goo observations and crew/EVA reports, plus examination of the recovered command pod, gave enough data to research Engineering 101 and Basic Rocketry.

When R&D got through crunching that data, I had a liquid fuel engine and tanks, and some leftover science that allowed me to get General Rocketry.  Back to the VAB, and a big upgrade.  With a stack decoupler available, I built a two-stage liquid fueled rocket that took Maltrey Kerman beyond the border of space -- apoapsis was barely over 80 km.  Same observations, higher up, and in a different biome from previously, more science.  Back to R&D, who produced Survivability and Stability.  Another launch of the same design vessel, sending Jebediah on a downrange trajectory similar to the first Mercury launches, landing far out at sea -- and Advanced Rocketry was in my hands.  Jackpot!

Nose cones, radial decouplers, additional science instruments (barometer and thermometer) -- stack up some of the larger tanks, couple some alongside, Swivel engine in the center and Reliants under the boosters.  A Terrier in the core upper stage, and don't forget the heat shield.  Four, count 'em four goo canisters, thermometer and barometer -- and Valentina became the first Kerbal to complete an orbit of Kerbin!  In fact, when she dumped the last stage with its Terrier engine prior to reentry, it had more than 60% fuel remaining; this vessel or a slight upgrade may be capable of a Mun flyby.

No, not Scott Manley starting a new game and completing a Mun landing and return inside fifteen minutes, but I didn't think it was bad progress for a play session under two hours.  In fact, at KSC, the sun is just setting at the end of the first day.  I might need to consider adding mods for construction time and/or R&D time...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
typo

7 minutes ago, Scoutman1121 said:

I prepared all my vessels to colonize Eeloo (It took 3 - 4 hours of preperation) On 2-19-17 I will colonize Eeloo 

That's something I've never bothered doing (more or less because I'm lazy :rolleyes:), but it's a concept I've always found interesting. Good luck! 

Retextured DSEV's DR-375 docking ring, and added new hex option (for the large hex truss):

wpCy2TT.png

xYSMkla.png

Z2aIbb0.png

New D2 Adapter with 1.25, 2.5m, and Mk3 options:

6Ul5ib1.png

PoeQZVV.png

uXoiyz9.png

New D2 Instrument Unit (probe core equal to stock 2.5m probe core, plus variable torque reaction wheels), with 3.75m and Mk3 options:

PA1xrvP.png

y24FEFz.png