What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally wrapped up the massive biome hopping mission at Rald!

EyR8Hj8.jpg

Applying a trick she learned in a previous life (New Horizons in 1.0.5), Lyssa figures that an ejection burn from the sunward side of Rald, when it's on the sunward side of Tellumo will allow them to capitalise on the moon's orbital velocity - and indeed she scores an intercept with Gael for only 650m/s. Another 300 or so at the next DN ensures a nice equatorial and a tight PE, and the entire transfer home to LGO is performed in less than 2600m/s. As a bonus, this leaves some in the HyperRing, and it will remain in LGO for possible use by later missions. Assuming the engineering team can work out an efficient way of refuelling it that doesn't cost as much as launching a new one.

Leo transfers to Mo'dur, such that it now has a pair of 4-star scientists aboard. Rookie scientician Griffin Kerman is recalled from the station and will return home aboard Squeakbat for deployment on the next outbound mission.

The Council of Chefs begin cataloguing the array of delicious new taste sensations being brought to light by Mo'dur's analysis. So far the front runners are Raldean Riverfish with Seaweed and Lowlands Rice and for main course, while for desert there's a choice of Rocky Volcano ice cream or Basin Crumble with Icecap sprinkles. Delighted by the marketing possibilities, a number of private companies shower the space centre with sponsorship deals.

...there are now over 100 experiments at Mo'dur. Dear god it takes a long time to click through to "keep" them after the lab is full :/  Does anyone know if you can do multiple labs on the same vessel yet?

It's ugly as hell, but it does fly! Its sole purpose is "technology" demonstration. The wings are quite fragile, they can't survive a rough landing. The whole craft with maximum (allowed) amount of fuel in the tanks weighs around 150 tons and holds 240 passengers + crew. 

UszslO0.jpg

Spoiler

G2vi0vr.jpg

Spoiler

7NzmNNa.jpg

Edited by jmiki8

pFt5FJH.png

My first Mun base, Mun Base Olympus! Sits 5 kerbals, generates power with 24 solar panels, and has every science instrument I have unlocked. (And bounces signals off of an orbiting satellite.)

Kerbollo 2- success!

(The whole thing is as stable as it looks, and it´s very hard for the pilot to get back in. I learnt it the hard way)

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Core heat (from reactors, drills and converters) are a separate thing from general heat as from the atomic engine or aerobraking. Once your radiators are near enough to the part that generates core heat and their total cooling power in kW meets or exceeds the total amount of core heat, that's it. There's no more math. Do know that static radiators can only be attached as far away as the immediate parent part of the drill or converter but folding radiators can be attached anywhere at all.

General heat as from aerobraking or atomic engines thrusting is what is handled and considered by the cooling rate in %. The hotter your ship is, the harder the radiators work, the faster they become the hottest part on the ship and the higher that cooling % goes up.

Sorry JadeOfMaar,

Now you have made me completely confused. Since this does not belong here, I have created a question in the appropriate forum.

Heat managment during drilling

Greetings

4 hours ago, astroheiko said:

Red Shirt makes everything broken.

Forgive me for having fun with this quote. - Mind if I use it in my signature?

I Just had to prove my passenger shuttle is capable of bringing them back alive. Bob agreed to ride in the lower hitchhiker. Bill 2.0 and Jeb 15.0 volunteered for the upper can. I added an extra chute for the landing.

The gang posed AFTER a successful landing. That's Bob in blue.

3Fgvszg.jpg

Just to prove this wasn't a faked photo op, I include a couple mission pics in the spoiler.

Spoiler

mpmBfS4.jpg

JhHLDmh.jpg

.I do have to admit while doing this, I discovered Val was KIA. No idea when that happened. Off to edit the file to get her back. 

After about a week, I decided to finally rescue that Kerbal I left on Minmus. I strapped a probe core to the original craft, evicted it's pilot and chucked it atop the original launch vehicle. I was a little forceful with my burns, but still had plenty of fuel left. My landing was a fluke planned and precise, and I landed within 60m of the target.

screenshot6.png

RCS was used for the final touchdown, as I had plenty to use up.

screenshot9.png

Sara Kerman seemed fairly relieved to see the rescue craft so close to her pod.

screenshot12.png

She then jetpacked over and planted a necessary flag. Just as a reminder.

screenshot14.png

RCS handled a majority of takeoff, and a half-decent return was planned.

IMG_20170225_113543.png

screenshot18.png

This was soon adjusted to achieve a quick flyby of the Mün (also to save fuel).

IMG_20170225_113503.png

LKO was to be acheived, but after one look at the fuel gauge, it was decided to go straight into reentry.

screenshot20.png

Unfortunetly, no photos of reentry were taken due to me being focused on keeping the unfinished glider design from flipping uncontrollably plasma blackout. After the parachute was deployed and the capsule made contact with Kerbin, Sara hopped out and did seem pretty happy to be back home.

screenshot26.png

Edited by AccidentsHappen
I can't spell

Today I actually landed a plane in the wild. I landed a small plane in the desert to do science experiment and didn'thave to quick save or anything. Landing planes is the bane of my KSP existence. I saved there and plan to fly to another biome or two. 

I just made one of my most spectacular blunders ever.

I went for the second Moon landing. And whooshed over the surface on approach - 1100 m/s and within 25 m of the ground!

Whoosh!

I landed successfully and popped up a hill for a view: https://flic.kr/p/SeD3UX

I launched, got nearly to orbit, and as was planned bailed out and continued on the jetpack. I rendezvoused with the orbiter no problem, and...

Locked out. Epic. Fail.

Locked out! No external hatch on the orbiter!

So now I have to figure out how the heck to solve this. Preferably a solution other than "strand Jeb in orbit and fly Bob and the science home".

Well, you're going to think I'm crazy.

The short version: I'm building a Mun base using only solid rockets.

The long version:

A few days ago I started thinking: What if Great Britain had decided to try to get a man to the moon in, say, 1890? Like, Steampunk/Jules Verne style.

So, I built a rocket to try to get to orbit, Britannia I. It crashed.

So I built a Mun rocket, Britannia II. It worked!

wKdTVJw.png

It was supposed to be a one way mission, ala From the Earth to the Moon. But I felt a bit bad about leaving Jeb to die on the Moon.

So I then told myself how hard it would be to build a solid fueled rescue mission that could get into a polar Mun orbit and touch down at the right time and place to rescue Jeb.

And then I did it. At night.

hUBsSzE.png

Those bottom sepatrons are empty, and they are on a stack decoupler. The others should be sufficient to return two Kerbals to Kerbin (One had to pilot it, this is before computers).

So then, I'm like, what if Great Britain wanted to start a colonial outpost on the Mun?

Abk1Y3r.png

Now, that's a crazy rocket! Just to run you through my "standard" solid Mun profile, one set of boosters pushes the thing into space. The next set pushes it into orbit. There are a few that push it onto a transfer course, and one for orbital insertion. I need to be in a polar orbit because the base is like at 75 degrees Latitude. Then I wait for the base to pass below me, deorbit, and land.

How do I do the burns accurately? I look at the KER value for the next stage and make a maneuver node with that exact amount of Delta V.

tB4YpWI.png

The Mun base now has 4 Kerbals/Great Britain people. At this point, the Queen of England realized that this would not be a sustainable initiative, as their mines could not produce enough solid fuel to do the amount of missions necessary to fully colonise the Moon/Mun. So they brought the Americans in.

Rrg0v2N.png

America's first Mun lander. One man, and designed to fall from orbit and land at 200m/s using three landing gears.

Wait a second! 5 people on the Mun and only 2 seats on the return vehicle?

Because of this, the Americans launched a 7 Kerbal ascent module:

UjLogZA.png

Those 3 outer SRB's are empty, ignore them.

Huh, maybe I'm actually the first person to have done that...

I turned my light OTV (left) into a light (Kerbin orbit) tanker (right) by adding a new fuel tank and using the original tank as a cargo tank...  But it turns out the light tanker *also* functions well as a medium OTV.  The light OTV ended up pretty much eliminated from my Dres architecture.  (The light OTV originated as a notional leftover from a previous Duna mission...  so I probably ought to add it back in if the theme is "re-use"....) 

1EHSIYz.png

Speaking of Dres architecture, I built out the final piece - the station the crew will inhabit while in Dres orbit.  The lower (vertical) leg is the cruise phase HAB, it's docked to the docking/service module, which in turn also has the LAB module attached.  (Though, since this is in the sandbox this is strictly RP.)

Y3hzLO1.png

So, now that I have all the pieces, it's time to drop a tug under each one (to double check they're within the tug's capacity), build out my lifters, and work out my schedule.

Edited by DerekL1963

7 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Forgive me for having fun with this quote. - Mind if I use it in my signature?

You can use it, of course.

...Bill 2.0 and Jeb 15.0 .... Val was KIA. No idea when that happened.

I just spat my coffee on the keyboard....Jeb 15.0

Edited by astroheiko

i dont think ive killed any Kerbals other than in reverts XD 

Although i have stranded them places. The Mun being my Most common one. Jeb is currently going crazy alone on an orbital station above the Mun with no intentions atm to bring him home...

I launched the final module of 'Zemlya' station today. I used a Duna-V lifter from my Constellation mission; It's really reliable.

I launched 2000 units of ore, and a small tug.

Launch:

OaiJOk6.jpg

Circularising after SRB SEP:

oEIMbb2.jpg

Second stage ignition:

P7m9hxt.jpg

The tug and the ore on the second stage:

AZ30D4e.jpg

Approaching the station:

uyLrpVF.jpg

Docked the ore:

3ysCd63.jpg

Docked the tug and adapter:

zqHAcJZ.jpg

I really like this station, because of its striking similarity to the old Soviet stations; I was heavily inspired by them, hence the name, 'Zemlya', Russian for 'Earth.'

Nothing.

Nothing all week pretty much, at least game play wise.

Monday I started my old job again (they called me back) and I couldn't pass up the money.

Still going to be around of course.....but real life takes over fun stuff.

Building bicycles and doing repairs on bikes is fun, but working on heavy trucks kinda beats out Bicycles on a pay scale.

It's Year 50, day 410 of the Kerbal Space Age, and The Fifth Interplanetary Expedition finally approaches Laythe.

(Previously: Jool - Pol - Bop - Tylo - Vall)

EvqqPoU.jpg

And... It just paid for itself and made some healthy profit!

yI80DKs.jpg

Not bad for a poor man's Jool-5 (or, rather, Jool-3.75), not bad at all. Thank you, mr. Kerman!

6x8r6Xg.jpg

Laythe. A dream world for every true Kerbal. A moment at the top of the universe. What could be better? Well, perhaps, a long walk on a sandy beach down there under the four moons and Jool? 

But we'll start small. 

1a1miJt.jpg

It's time to say goodbye to the satellite docking section (as we have no satellites left) and the Laythe Atmospheric Probe. 

6SfuBDq.jpg

The probe tows the docking section to a 100x100 km orbit and leaves it there. Perhaps, one day this memorial piece of junk will serve as a module in a proper Laythe orbital station.

CO6rKBj.jpg

Of course, I grossly underestimated how fast this heat shield would slow the probe in Laythean atmosphere. By a factor of two, at least. So, it missed the target archipelago completely and plummeted into the open sea. 

o86kcxG.jpg

Cancel jettisoning the heat shield! The landing legs are now officially antennae. Or lightning rods. Or the Titanium Crown of Awesomeness.

In other news, transferring atmospheric analysis data consumes RIDICULOUS amount of electricity. Gravity scan doesn't come even remotely close.

RmcRKXF.jpg

Well. Can't say that it's the intended landing configuration... But it's acceptable.

Edited by Haruspex

Today my SSTO arrived at Gratian.

echKzTC.jpg

It was not as easy to land as I thought. When testing, it was easier, strange. She always wanted to turn on her back. Eh ... You know what I mean. Google has never translated as funny. That's why I leave it.

pm05VnJ.jpg

The landing has then but still worked. In the background you can see the edge of a solar eclipse.

7OnmXCi.jpg

Here is a close up - Sandstorm inclusive.

Sq8tZDV.jpg

Greetings

20 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Dude, that's harsh. :D Try building a shuttle to move crew as needed. Oh wait, that's how I killed Bill.... but it was an accident.

I can't build a spaceplane, yet alone pilot it without crashing. All my current attempts have led to explosions. Even with a shuttle, I need it to land on the Mün and be able to take off again. 

In killing the Mün crew, I found it fascinating how I can ram them into the ground at 120 m/s and they survive :D

1 hour ago, AntherJebediah said:

I found it fascinating how I can ram them into the ground at 120 m/s and they survive

Well yes, there's that. LOL. 

I can build and fly a spaceplane but can't reenter or safely land one. I use a rocket with probe core and empty hitchhiker cans. Maybe not as fun as ramming them into the ground but more satisfying (to me) than a spaceplane. YMMV