Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

34944 posts in this topic

I've been having fun with my mobile Minmus mining mammoth...

LhCGPE7.jpg

Most of my space travel infrastructure is cheap and reusable, but the cost of hauling propellant from the surface of Kerbin was a big expense. This spacecraft as well as the freighters that shuttle propellant around the Kerbin system now make things much more economical. The one sacrifice to gameplay convenience is the freighter heat shield, which needs to be replaced periodically.

4nSVafl.jpg

7 people like this

Hmm, getting my Mun Lab into orbit turned out to be trickier than i expected. The lab weighed 10t plus 6 tons of tug to get it from LKO to Mun Orbit. Shoving that much mass through Kerbals atmosphere proved too much for my fledgling Space Agency. Got to about 2.5k ASL and it tipped over, many attempts later I was able to reach 15km before it it tipped. At this point I decided that boosting both items in one launch was too much.

Splitting the lab section and the tug proved much more agreeable. Though the lab was still a pig of a launch with it ending up in a 135km/90km orbit. Once the tug was in orbit a major design flaw emerged. The reaction wheel inbuilt into the probe body was simply too feeble to handle the fully loaded tug. Turning was a nightmare. Engaging RCS solved that but it did burn through a lot of monoprop.

Plotting a rv between the tug and the lab was a bit of a nightmare, I do not think it could have aligned their respective orbits worse. After an hour of faffing about with nodes (made bearable with the mod Precise Maneuver cos trying to be accurate when your mouse scroll wheel has died is not fun). The best I could do was 20km separation with a 220m/s velocity difference. The actual rendevous and docking (my 4th) were surprisingly straight forward. One lesson I did learn from my first lab was lighting. Placing lights pointing at the approaches to the docking clamps helps prevent those embarrassing bumps in the night.

Getting ready to leave LKO heading to wards an encounter with Mun

cDk9uTB.png

Currently its now in Mun orbit, and I am rotating out the crew from my Kerbal space lab so that they can man the Mun mission. Today I will launch the new improved lander and science crew to MunLabOne

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Last night I took a scientist to the surface of Minmus. Val piloted the lander. The scientists chosen landing spot was on the edge of two biomes so with one little hop I got over 600 science! 

Unfortunately again I had to abandon the lander in orbit. I completely goofed and put a rockomax decoupler on the wrong way, effectively making the docking port inaccessible!  Dammit man. 

I really need to include basic KIS/KAS tools on every flight.

Jeb will go back and ferry Bob and Bill down to the surface of Minmus next so they can get their 2nd star. Then hopefully I can unlock the rest of the parts I need to complete a K&K planetary base.

Edited by SickSix
2 people like this

I took a lander to the Mun and back, and blew up some debris with KAS explosives. It was fun! Val Survived.

Also, I installed MechJeb.

Haven't had much time so this has taken place over the last few days.

My original visit with Niven went poorly. I had three probes land on the surface and their transfer stage was to remain in orbit and act as an intermittent relay so I could transfer the small amount of science they gathered and fulfill a contract. Only I put the wrong antenna on the transfer stage and it's now essentially worthless. It's now the next transfer window so I've launched my two standard relay packages. Each has three relays, the first is for low equatorial orbit and the second is for high polar orbit and is the main communication with Gael. I've also sent my standard ScanSat probe and a probe designed to test DV requirements for returning to orbit. The latter has a transfer stage that should be able to bring it home to fulfill another contract. We'll see if I have time to fine tune my encounters tonight.

1 person likes this

Following up on my teal box mod part from a few weeks ago, I've made a propeller part that works anywhere with an atmosphere*. I discovered IntakeAir can be used as long as checkForOxygen = false in ModuleResourceIntake. Thrust curves and the like need tweaking, but it flies.

xndL03p.png

MDojdb8.png

*tested on Duna, but since Duna has no oxygen and it works, it should work elsewhere.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Deorbited my O-zone station with an SSTO and landed in dangerous enviroment.

The story-

O-zone station faded away and small SSTO flung away into the darkness,while the pieces and bits that broke free from the station were falling to their imminent doom....

Razor sharp peaks and mountains were looking at little SSTO violently and cruely. 

Fear ate the hearts of kerbonauts but when the fear comes it brings seriousness with itself.

SSTO landed, and 30 seconds of clear silence appeared, engines stopped , heartbeat was muted,so were engines.

But in the distance, where there is no fear and misfortune, sun was shining, it lit the grass,the mountains and every small tree on the ground. Giving new hope.......

GMVuWVx.png

here is the flag....

Ts6fTWn.png

Wow, pixies,placebo and radiohead affect my mind like we do with our minds of kerbals.....

(just a quick question-Would you like me to do more of those poetrcic stories?

Edited by cratercracker
3 people like this

I will never...

Landed on Deimos. Spot Phobos!

That is Deimos, the smaller moon of Mars and the smallest and lightest body in standard RSS. Surface gravity of 0.00034 g and an escape speed of 6 - yes, six - m/s. For comparison the gravity on Gilly is 15 times stronger, and the gravity on Minmus 150 times stronger. I wasn't even sure if my probe would ever come to rest on Deimos, but with a bit of waiting and delicate reaction wheel turning it did.

At least the RSS folks did give Deimos sensible timewarp limits.

Bonus: See if you can spot Phobos, Mars's other moon, in the picture!

9 people like this

1 hour ago, SchwinnTropius said:

Following up on my teal box mod part from a few weeks ago, I've made a propeller part that works anywhere with an atmosphere*. I discovered IntakeAir can be used as long as checkForOxygen = false in ModuleResourceIntake. Thrust curves and the like need tweaking, but it flies.

xndL03p.png

MDojdb8.png

*tested on Duna, but since Duna has no oxygen and it works, it should work elsewhere.

Thats cool! You are going to publish that for public consumption right?

1 minute ago, SickSix said:

Thats cool! You are going to publish that for public consumption right?

Maybe, if I can make a prettier model and get a few other parts put together for a pack. I just started modelling a few weeks ago, I'm not quite ready yet to release stuff for public consumption, not until it looks pretty. :) 

22 minutes ago, cantab said:

Bonus: See if you can spot Phobos, Mars's other moon, in the picture!

I think there is a suspicious dark speck (just a few pixels in size) in the upper part of the planet - something that may be in front of it not on the surface.

Yeah, the larger moon of Mars is not that large either

1 person likes this

Launched another hardware stack for assembly in Minmus orbit. (You can safely ignore the debris cloud in the background, I'm sure nothing of importance fell off)

dMf1HgC.png

LtZd5r3.png

Nope, I should not have expected a single Poodle to be able to shove this thing into orbit.

8PQwrss.png

And docked in Minmus orbit. Time to move some bits around.

Qeu4CJJ.png

Snuffles has returned with precious fuel. My laptop is beginning to dislike this many parts on one ship.

dPWfDmQ.png

It's a bit crap, but I am so happy I brought this little tug along.

OLiqU8K.png

67Ot9XG.png

All done. Now where's Val with that damn spaceplane?

Pr3h6FK.png

On her way, but late. Instead of firing the nukes she ejected 4 Rapiers by accident. Funny, but not conductive to a successful mission. (And nobody tell her or the rest of the crew I haven't tested reentry with this plane, but I'm sure it'll be fine ... probably)

BCOS2Pd.png

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, cantab said:

Wait ignore this the forums is being flaky - Sandwich

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

I landed a lander on Duna! For the second time, actually. Now, to prepare a permanent base...

1 person likes this

Im just trying to figure out how to install KSPRC for 1.2.2 :/

Finally produced the video for the first part of my Ultimate Challenge series:

Feedback appreciated.

1 person likes this

Conducted first simulations of the new interplanetary transfer vehicle...apparently four big reaction wheels are enough to keep the vessel dead straight under acceleration...

screenshot11.png

The final product will come with an included garage and a rover for free. Nonetheless, there will be a variety of options: The environmentally aware customer may purchase the "eco-blue" package which replaces the engines with Poodles and an additional three Ion engines, additionally the dangerous RTGs will be removed and replaced by solar panels... For the dynamically flying customers a bigger engine might be an option. Why dealing with 4m/s**2 if you could have a triple S3 KS 25x4 drive? Afraid of electro-smog? We'll remove the antennae for no extra charge...

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Alchemist said:

I think there is a suspicious dark speck (just a few pixels in size) in the upper part of the planet - something that may be in front of it not on the surface.

Yeah, the larger moon of Mars is not that large either

Spot on. Transiting the planet, upper-left corner below the dark regio. Even with the camera fully zoomed in, it looks tiny.

Posted (edited)

Today I started collecting the biomes of Jannah. Here is a picture in the area of the North Pole.

KCT7Scr.jpg

Then headed south. Here you can see the biome "Abyss"

f0QGosf.jpg

After that, I rode with the Rover some mischief. I could not leave it, you can make here so beautiful jumps. The F9 key was of course more in use.

grBYdDg.jpg

When I wanted to pick up the Rover, I found out how I can land very precisely on it. You only have to keep the target marker in zenith. Actually just as if you want to dock. This is only noticeable to me now, after 9 months of playing time.

vdoe31V.jpg

Greetings

Edit: Well, finally - something I've been looking for.

drAYbiC.jpg

Edited by astroheiko
13 people like this

Today I upgraded the Arrow-04 spaceplane tackling the issues of the first flight: added proper airbrakes and increased aerospike size from 0.75 to 0.8m. The increased thrust leads to a more efficient orbital insertion burn.

Now the plane is available also in Kerbal-rated version for space station crew rotation and early tourism missions.

TkEGSOc.png

Upcoming missions (vessels under construction right now):

- Mun rover field test @ KSC

- Minmus mining rig and orbital refinery launch

There is also a Dres transfer window upcoming in 70 days... Maybe I'll plan something

4 people like this

With the reactor fuel nearly exhausted, mission control decided to decommission Swiftbird I by crashing it into Icarus.

Z68DoyE.jpg

Then someone noticed it had a local TWR of 1.4 and an excess of fuel... waste not want not.

May try for another couple of biomes... that little argon thruster is weak, but it's still got over 3km/s in it!

12 people like this

Today I used a Hercules launcher I build earlier, it's I launcher that can lift 11tons to LEO (RSS). I constructed a mars probe which is waiting for the right transfer window right now. 

Spoiler

lRKswjT.jpg
Launched just after sunset

RUcFNSH.jpg
First stage separation.

dwJ4MGj.jpg

I've also build a new lifter that can lift 40 tons into orbit. I only need a name for it, but I think I'll just name it a Hercules heavy, since it has the same setup of engines/fuels and colors. The rocket is designed that the max. TWR is 2.5, so it's quite crew-friendly. 
This lifter is supposed to bring a manned craft into LEO where it can rendezvous with my early stages space station. This was still a test flight.

Spoiler

QnFn206.jpg
On the launchpad, just before countdown.

hvXxQZl.jpg
Little view of the 8 booster engines and 7 first stage engines. Just have a look at the doors in the tower in the background to see the massive scale of this thing.

lyoz73R.jpg
And all systems nominal. Sadly my rig has some problems with Microsoft Visual C++ lately (which I'm repairing right now, so the game crashed when I was separating the boosters :(  

Mods I use? I lot, just the whole RSS/RO setup and some bunch of other mods I like. All the fuel tanks are made with procedural parts.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

well, in the last 24 hours, i did a Mun flyby for the first time in a career game and nabbed about 200000 funds and about 70 science

also i like your signature @DrLicor

Edited by AHeroReborn
2 people like this

@AHeroReborn, haha first I thought you liked my links, but now I get it. 
Yeah Elon Musk has some of those quite funny sayings once in a while. :) 

Worked on improved version of my "space castle".

screenshot28.png

screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

screenshot31.png

screenshot33.png

screenshot34.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot36.png

screenshot37.png

Then played with landing lights on Minimus. Gotta try this on Duna.

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot7.png

14 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Working on another SSTO...

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: airplane

- Jett

This is freaking impressive!!!! I suck at landing planes and MechJeb does suck too at landing planes so I quit messing with planes but some of those builds are amazing.

17 people like this