Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

32263 posts in this topic

Missing my target, 4km, inclined launch sites... (Cape Canaveral)

y7Wkbf2.png

One man orbital SSTO 10.7kdV for crew pickup and return. (Not a space plane, they are harder for me on earth.)  Add boosters and it can do free return lunar pick up too.

Pod can separate and stay in orbit with 15 days life support. Has crew safety jettison using a pair of ullage motors.Costs 99k funds but most of it is refunded with a descent landing.

7 people like this

I decided to test the muscle that I built into my life support showroom plane. It has shown the ability to SSTMun. It previously had 2 scramjets and 1 nuclear engine but I swapped the number to see if it would get Mun-landing TWR... Barely there but yes. I'll flip that number back as this configuration wastes fuel in atmosphere and Mun-landing ability is not worth the trouble for me.

With very few things installed in this game I finally got to enjoy Scatterer (GPP's version, specifically) in its full glory (for a change) --didn't bother to turn off the Ocean shader. <3

TkfzGQk.jpg

Zm4Yeg0.jpg HbFWUuc.jpg buMUwOQ.jpg xAsk9QD.jpg dLCPTX8.jpg

3 people like this

I built and tested a Gilly lander.

c2MQ8Et.png

Given Gilly's low gravity and Eve's low potential for continuing develpment (I plan to send a single flag-and-footprints mission there but nothing more) I'm taking a different strategy here than I normally would. Whereas my usual procedure for offworld development is to land a mining/ISRU base that will send regular fuel shipments to an orbiting station, here I've decided to forego the permanent base, incorporate mining equipment into the lander and convert the ore to fuel at the station. Given that a mere two Oscar tanks and Spark engines are enough to land on Gilly and launch, fully loaded, to a stable 20km circular orbit with fuel to spare the usual advantages to converting the ore on the surface and just transporting the fuel don't really apply, and this strategy will let me simplify my operations on Eve's satellite, requiring only two craft instead of three.

This is all just F5F9 simulations, though, as given the timing of transfer windows and my limited supply of interplanetary transporters it may be a while before I actually launch this mission. I only have two transports suitable for carrying heavy payloads over interplanetary distances at present, and both of them are currently en route to Duna and not expected back for quite some time. I could justify building a third but I would likely use that for the next Jool mission (Laythe being a much higher priority target than Eve,) and building four or more would be excessive. Still, at least this part of the mission-planning process is complete.

4 people like this

I FINALLY DOCKED!!!!

YAAAAAS!!!

12 people like this

http://imgur.com/a/OEP4G

I flew to the north pole on a weirdly-shaped jet I made just because I was bored of working on a fuel truck for a mining base.

1 person likes this

At long last, the RSN Antonio Vivaldi was sufficiently fuelled up to fly back to LEO.

At long last! The Vivaldi burns back for Earth.It only took 2 1/2 years, but Jeb and the RSN Antonio Vivaldi are returned to LEO

Now to get Jeb and the lovely science down, and then start work on bigger and better stuff. The Apocalyptica mining rig remains at the Moon and that's a key part of my strategy, because I will design a bigger and better miner that can be fuelled up in lunar orbit before making its own first landing. I'll also be wanting a LEO fuel station of some sort.

3 people like this

More lander tests, this time for the one that's going to accompany my planned Explorer-class science vessel on its journeys to Moho, Dres and Eeloo (i.e. the planets that I want to plant flags on but don't want to bother setting up surface bases and space stations around.)

nPzwSqS.jpg

I've confirmed that it can land on Moho and return to a 50km circular orbit with comfortable fuel margins, and as Moho has the strongest gravity of the three target planets I'm confident that it can land on the other two as well. Now I just have to design the Explorer itself.

Posted (edited)

Today, I've accidentally built a new kind of spacecraft: an SSTA

Single-Stage-To-Afterlife

Edited by Aperture Science
6 people like this

Friend messes up staging for fun

0XQxW8U.png

I solved a problem in Kerbal Komets where, when you install/uninstall the mod, any asteroid that you've visited changes shape and size. And in the process, I kept the komet sample experiment. Best yet, I might've solved the incompatibilities with Kopernicus! :)

4 people like this

kerbal komets! just installed that! sadly haven't found any comets yet :wink:

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

kerbal komets! just installed that! sadly haven't found any comets yet :wink:

If you have Kopernicus installed then you won't see them in the current release. Still working on that one... :)

Posted (edited)

Hey Kerbalomites.

I am sure you all missed me.

I was around.

Not much worth reporting.

Today I went Soviet Style. All stock.

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/w31op

5Ur063T.png

20dcTJJg.png

IABEANYg.png

wFr9ngXg.png

pmMi88j.png

QwVN1BS.png

Val and Jeb are back at the KSC.

Still need to do a mission report.

It was interesting. Learned a lot about days gone by.

The LK had a nice retro look to it.

but ....That project was doomed.....

Keep on playing stimulating simulating.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant
11 people like this

I finally got my KC-135 boom to work consistently - now to actually refuel something!

DBbe5zc.png

I also played around making some settings for a cinematic.

Hv6vnYr.png

This is in the "normal" lighting stage. In the "Defcon 1" stage, the lights turn red and spin around like crazy. It's perfect.

12 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just Starting out so went to all biomes on kerbin on a Kick ass Aircraft and got all the science

Edited by SHadowClone451208

I deployed 2 rovers on Duna!

1.(polar region)

Wanderer

8gDAUzM.png

its ''shell'

0AXX3pQ.png

2 (equatorial zone)

Stranger

W07xxF3.png

5 people like this

I made a GIF of the Millennium Falcon flying on Eve

Download the Millennium Falcon on Kerbal-X

17 people like this

So last night I finally rescued my stranded Mun mission. Their lander ended up not having enough DV to get back into orbit of the Mun. So in a political miracle, the USSK sent a rescue ship.

The United States of Kerbal (USK) Mun launch.

IFEteel.png

Utilizing an Apolo style(ish) lander and command module docking.

4Jlumnp.png

AF850x5.png

First Kerbals on the Mun!

JHy5uYX.png

Look at that view!

YnBNIne.png

The USSK Mun rocket with rescue craft. The USSK lander was not built for reentry to Kerbin but to get the Kerbonauts off the Mun and back to their command module.

KfE9IED.png

The USSK rescue lander. Turned out to be poorly designed as the lander legs didn't quite reach past the bottom of the Poodle engine. (F9 was used more than I'd care to admit to get the landing pictured below)

e8IyO2x.png

The Kerbals jetted over to the rescue pod with all their science in their pockets and then launched toward their command pod. Do to different controls in the USSK lander much DV was wasted trying to get the rendevous but it was successful. Fuel was transferred to the command pod along with the science reports and the Kerbals themselves of course. The command pod got them safely back to Kerbin and much rejoicing was had at the USK and USSK command centers.

8 people like this

I'm building new ships for a new story that is going to go onto the Mission Reports forum.  This one's the KSS Kuzzter, a nuclear cargo ship.

956109e916fafff4e8cae8bd9accd56b.png

I actually needed another mod to get it working right.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

I made a GIF of the Millennium Falcon flying on Eve

Awesome! Is that the in-game performance (speed/FPS) that you get or is it sped up?? Either way, awesome GIF and great craft too of course.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Dafni said:

Awesome! Is that the in-game performance (speed/FPS) that you get or is it sped up?? Either way, awesome GIF and great craft too of course.

In a word no.  It's Star Wars, you gotta take advantage of the debug menu.  It does fly pretty much like that on Kerbin though.

- Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

@cratercracker Love the use of the antenna to mock up a laser! I may have to copy that myself.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Built this nice high-altitude plane, sent Jeb out to Kerbin's northern ice shelf to grab a sample and return to KSC.  Still had a quarter tank of gas when I got home.  That means this can literally fly halfway around Kerbin on a single tank of fuel.  Generally cruises at about 800 m/s at an altitude of 20,000 meters.  

S3IiHFh.jpg

pb64dX5.jpg

Edited by Fearless Son
4 people like this

Little fail while doing shuttle challenge 20170310164852_1.jpg

2 people like this

Got creeped out by three girls. Long space travel and all, I guess takes a toll on Kerbal psyche...

screenshot21.png

Oh, and took some more of pretty pictures

screenshot11.png

screenshot14.png

screenshot15.png

5 people like this