What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Docked tugboat of sorts to my space station. Didn't take too many pictures of it though.

abYH1Yi.jpg

This just felt ominous. With the night side of Kerbin being the backdrop it was just a dimly lit orange tank in a sea of black.

VI1yK1x.jpg

This just felt too awesome to not take a screenshot of.

3 hours ago, Bornholio said:

MAXIMUM LITHIUM!   On to other news the cost of new cellphone batteries to triple this month....

Hey, who doesn't need 15k dV? :P

It is also perfectly capable of refueling via a dropship with integrated ISRU, so at least it doesn't all have to come from Kerbin.

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

I rebuilt my space station after recent RUD.

(How in the Kraken name do I make album arrows appear in this forum?)

Stating from center, we have command&control module, three radial docking ports for station modules and one ventral for future space dock.

On the right side you may see processing lab rescued from my previous station with some zoology lab attached at angle, that small ugly amalgamation of monoprop tanks is old tugdrone.

Bathed in yellow light we have reactor module placed on long boom and hidden behind homemade radiation shielding. Safety of green crew comes first.

With ocean in background we have cyclotron and laboratory for it mounted on extension module. Docked on top there is droppod with Station Science experiments.

And on the bottom, in green spotlights, we have new arrival. White Base class carrier. First of its class, first of the fleet. Three-Kerb crew, passenger space for twelve, 6k nuclear delta-v, with plenty of docking ports for support crafts. Took half a dozen of Mainsails with twice as much orange tanks to bring it to orbit in one go. It now awaits in orbit for passengers, Mun lander and Minmus jumper. It may be first craft, in this career, to leave Kerbin SOI.

Except for old processing lab, and new carrier, every module was hauled into orbit by same combo of rocket (with three 4, 2 or 0 boosters respectively for 40ton, 20ton and 10ton cargo) and stupidly powerful tug drone.

Edited by PT
wysiwygs are stupid

Jupiter survey started well got in barely to a optimal Biome scanner range and started SAR at that altitude. Pretty much polar so i should get a full scan.  Radar scan lower in might not happen haven't calculated the dV i need to drop that low into the gravity well. But then....

hYZAOBq.png0qI7UqM.png

Rear end of the craft blew up in a kraken induced time warp explosion.

VWWCqrS.png

Got my Venus Comsats rolling out and to midcourse correction burns.  The plasma drive is too weak, 12k dV is 6days burn time, the lower ISP plamsa RCS actually worked better.  The third iteration actually got built with 24 single port plasma RCS units as its main drive. 

TY9R14I.pngkVBMGZn.png

As i finished my corrections i got flagged with a lifes support warning on my station.  One person with over two years of life support should have been fine for the 95 days he was ignored.  switched over and he was displaying negative time and rapidly depleting a large supply.  Rushed to get a emergency ship to him and switch the TACLS to hibernate on empty. Weirness on the fairing had to be ignored since i'm using KCT.

5UsmEAC.png0A39yUJ.pngqI69tSj.png

Unfortunately he became a tourist and can't leave the station to the rescue ship.  Turned off TAC for a bit. I'll have to design a supply ship and dock to the fueling port since the main port doesn't work.  Docking port found a weird nested port inside it somehow.

Edited by Bornholio
Picture cleanup

So I wanted to create a giant rotor for a super-heavylift helicopter.

It seems I should redo the engine mounts to be less appetizing to the kraken.

oQsorMc.jpg

Also been building vehicles from Apollo-and-other-past-spacecraft derived hardware.

uyfNSzh.jpg

The above vehicle replaces the ascent engine of the Apollo LM with more Aerozine50/NTO tankage, giving it a fairly impressive delat-V. It still needs some work, I want another 1km/s in it. The idea is to use it as a lander for a tour of the Galilean moons.

That's all for today. Was out for the morning getting my 2 wisdom teeth out... funny thing is it has not hurt at all whatsoever. :)

4 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Also been building vehicles from Apollo-and-other-past-spacecraft derived hardware.

The above vehicle replaces the ascent engine of the Apollo LM with more Aerozine50/NTO tankage, giving it a fairly impressive delat-V. It still needs some work, I want another 1km/s in it. The idea is to use it as a lander for a tour of the Galilean moons.

That's all for today. Was out for the morning getting my 2 wisdom teeth out... funny thing is it has not hurt at all whatsoever. :)

Oh now you're wise.... /smirk

What pack for the Apollo, looks different from mine. 

Edited by Bornholio

Not all that much. Ran the lunar slingshot test of the Lifson prototype, and designed a Lifson transfer vehicle and the 16-tonne-payload booster it would require. I've got four paying tourists for it, though I'll probably run a abort-from-second-stage test first, because the booster itself is completely untested.

Let's hope that doesn't turn into an abort-from-first-stage test.

ICrOLai.png

Otherwise: a friend's GPU is on the fritz, so I ordered a GTX 1070 to upgrade my rig, and I'll pass on the old GTX 960 to him. Probably wouldn't have upgraded so soon if it weren't for that friend needing a graphics card; the 960 was doing quite well for me, particularly on this KSP kick where despite all the visual mods I can throw at it, it's still heavily CPU-limited.

On 5/15/2017 at 1:34 PM, NISSKEPCSIM said:

<snip>

Kronal Vessel Viewer keeps on crashing for me and doesn't take screenshots, so I had to take a picture of the rocket in the VAB, and then manually colour all of the background in blue in MS Paint. I'm so happy with the way it turned out!)

I don't know for sure, but there is probably a way to take a general screenshot of your entire computer screen.

On my Lenovo laptop it's the windows + printscreen key combo.

Once you have that you could just open the screenshot in MS Paint and crop it to the vessel viewer.

Edit: oops didn't mean to double post :o

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

yesterday i tried another attemp in building a SSTO... after +800h i still cant build them correct.

i tried to bring a nerf with 2 whiplashes into orbit. not possible. i had to go back to O/LF rockets with 2 whiplashes... i had 500m/s left when i had a 75km orbit... its ok. i will try it now on laythe. after that i have to figure out a way to push the plane to jool...

I've been away for a while (hit a burn out along with another busy patch in life) but got the urge to come back and play again.  I still have my massive Duna Mission to get back to - but I found I had ruined the mission for myself with trying to build it up as a story telling exercise and experiment in making comics when what I really wanted was to do an interesting mission and share that - I'll get back to it eventually and record the mission itself with the craft I made for it when the mood strikes me again.

For the moment I'm getting the hang of two mods I'm new to which are making KSP feel brand new to me again.  Kerbalism and Stock Size Real Solar System.  I've got a set of part mods I'm really liking as well going for me and I've been tinkering a bit with those.  I'm getting hardware together for a new attempt at the Apollo Applications challenge - I'm already letting myself get ambitious about bigger things though because today while testing out my Saturn IB launch vehicle I also tested out Viking.  The save file I'm using right now is my engineering file - I'll be making a new save for the challenge itself once I've built my hardware and its time to fly my missions.

2ppe9u0.jpg

Above is my Viking prototype burning away from Earth.  I'm not entirely sure how I lucked into it but I did a nighttime launch into Lunar inclination (I noticed Moon, Venus, Jupiter and Mars while still climbing and corrected my ascent profile for inclination and then circularized at AP, stayed in my parking orbit for one full orbit and then re-lit the Stage 2 engine to burn for the Moon).

abi3yc.jpg

I set my orbit using the Saturn IB stage 2 engine which turned out to be very good.  my Viking Orbiter had a fuel flow issue which I hadn't caught in the VAB.  Neither the RCS or normal engine were pulling fuel from their tanks.  Luckily I did not need them to.

25805n6.jpg

I had only about 3 units of Mono prop in either tank when landed but it was a highly eccentric orbit and I had to de orbit in the work part of it for the landing.  TWR was very good for the lander, leaving me feeling it should do well on Mars as well.  The mission did carry a heat shield and drogue shoots like the Mars mission would but discarded them early because this was a lunar landing.

I have a few tweaks for Viking before I'm satisfied with it and I want to add a relay dish to the orbiter to aid with communications of future missions.  For a Lunar test in my Engineering save this went very well though.

Earlier this week I also considered recreating Mercury once more:

2cng9g.jpg

I haven't decided if I'm going to recreate those missions as well, I think Apollo is a good jumping off point for getting used to Kerbalism.  It gets me far enough away from Earth to need to worry about LS, signal, radiation and such while still being within my KSP comfort zone.

My working CSM and LM are here - I haven't technically made a successful test and I've made a couple changes to the CSM (the service module was a bit too long so I've trimmed it and I was using the wrong Engine before.  I haven't figured out how to add the lunar sub-satellite with this set-up.  Buried under that inter-stage faring was Fuel cells and ~13 days of Life support.  The LEM should work just fine - I'm working on a variant which can carry a rover though.

vdfyf7.jpg

For the last picture I was messing around with ore-scanning sats and seeing how far I could throw one with a Saturn V launch Vehical.  I still had enough fuel for a Jupiter intercept (but not capture) after making it to Venus.  Between a solar panel failure and dissatisfaction with the design of this particular satellite I've gone back to the drawing board here.  Still it is my first Venus flyby.

2epls29.jpg

With mission control finally coming up with mission plans the two Globetrotter rovers on the Mun burst out ot the confines of the NW crater. Trotter 1 heading north encountered an arch on it's way out before heading for the N Basin.

screenshot198_zpsdzewgveh.png

Whilst Trotter 2 heading south ticked off the Armstrong Memorial.

screenshot200_zpsavalorwy.png

Before making short work of the steep climb out.

screenshot201_zps8h1krjq8.png

A short run south ticked off a Munolith to give 2 bragging rights for now. The pair are currently heading west and east to complete chemcam contracts whilst eying up detected anomalies in their paths.

Edited by dangerhamster

The mothership to Leto needs 2 more relays, so I quickly put a rocket together. My freight SSTO I could have taken too but it does not fly
as great as I would like. So we take a rocket, which goes faster.

tijJH9B.jpg

The claw I have attached at the bottom of the mothership so I can catch the supply rocket.

N8NdsLM.jpg

The relays I put to the usual place on the mothership.

u9D1fg7.jpg

After that, I stow everything back again and dock the lander down to the mothership so I can land.

hAGl8Tc.jpg

Now I have to go to Iota to refuel the mothership.

fpXCkJN.jpg

3 days later, the mission is in orbit around Iota and I am looking for a landplacement with enough ore.

ZqwYDhw.jpg

Then I start the engines to lower the orbit ...

gZXoiRO.jpg

... and land on a beautiful spot overlooking Ciro.

hKRqLbp.jpg

After refueling I am looking for a parking orbit around Gael. 80000km are reached and I get a heart attack as I open the Transfer Window
Planner and let a course to Leto calculate. 66 years and 251 days and 6194 m/s dV?

Xj5lHLB.jpg

I decide to reduce the orbit to 350km, which lowers the dV requirements to 5574 m/s. Then I take my fuel station and refuel the mothership.
Now I have 9307 m/s dV available. This effort I make because I intend to invest more dV to get faster to Leto. I would like to use the
Oberth effect of Gael and have as much fuel on board as possible to get the maximum benefit. Now I plan a maneuver by hand.

vBFCBoQ.jpg

That looks better. For a total of 7894 m/s dV, I can reach an orbit around Leto in just 13 years and 279 days, including 1500m/s reserve. So
I will do it - and incredible 53 years of flight time saved.

LbLgDCn.jpg