What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Deep Sky don't sleep. The engineers all huggled together in front of a station screen and watched some Gundam before going to bed....whenever that was... and they pumped out something gigantic. They experimented with three different sets of engines too and this happened. Why someone chose to build runways onto a ship that can never enter atmosphere, nobody knows.

781cTlw.jpg

EIcfsfl.jpg FasYxH5.jpg TXl9Fje.jpg 12HXbNG.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Deep Sky don't sleep. The engineers all huggled together in front of a station screen and watched some Gundam before going to bed....whenever that was... and they pumped out something gigantic. They experimented with three different sets of engines too and this happened. Why someone chose to build runways onto a ship that can never enter atmosphere, nobody knows.

781cTlw.jpg

EIcfsfl.jpg FasYxH5.jpg TXl9Fje.jpg

Im beyond impresed at your masterpice. How did you make it and what mods did you used?

7 minutes ago, lovec1990 said:

Im beyond impresed at your masterpice. How did you make it and what mods did you used?

I started with the 2.5m probe core and 2 big oranges, then I added (OPT) pylons and started building the long sections from hollow fuselage pieces as cargo bays do not surface attach.

It contains OPT Spaceplane Parts, OPT Legacy, Tweakscale (the wing panel runway is all scaled 200%), Ven's Stock Revamp and Near Future Electric.

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If you play in Steam you have the option to revert your KSP install and to copy it out so it doesn't auto-update. No one's forcing you to play in 1.3 and wait for your mods to catch up. :wink: 

6 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

Yep:

KSP -> Properties -> Betas -> Select 1.2.2 (previous version)

-Jn-

I learnt something new so I can carry on playing! yeah!

The USA launched the 'SELFIE-1' autonomous spacecraft (No connection to the modern-day craze - it's 1963, after all!)

6aYmViF.png

RiuLq2m.png

And it docked to 'Skylab:'

0OuprST.png

Then, in response, the USSR launched 'Zemlya,' an extension to the 'Salyut-1' space station, aboard a brand-new rocket, the 'Proton-FGR' - new featuring asparagus-staged boosters rather than a clustered core!

WRIDAis.png

93qenVP.png

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

5 minutes ago, kraden said:

@NISSKEPCSIM the US lost a lot of states since '63 apparently :sticktongue:

Well, geez... I only noticed that now... I just Google-searched "KSP US and Soviet flags," and downloaded the first ones that came up... I'll have to work that into the story somehow. :D

EDIT:

The only reason I used the cartoon-style rocket on the Soviet flag was because I couldn't find any generic Russian flags, but I think it looks good.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

I started my Apollo Program. First one was a flight test to figure out what i needed to set up on hotkeys.  (Start oxygen/Air filters!) I'll Augment the fuel cells with some solar and RTG.  Drop Tanks on the lander and CSM. Smaller robot missions may do polar areas and harder to reach landings except far basin...

RCS on the CM is not very nice.  balance is okay for rotation but translation sucks.  Will also upgrade to F-1A's and J-2S engines.  Wish the Top J-2 had one more ignition so it could be used near the moon.

Pretty much a base FASA Saturn V with Apollo.

6s2J5nz.png

Had 200+dV left after TLI but no ignitions.

KLebQ7f.png

TLI finished, time to grab the LEM, mission was free return at this point. Sloppy ignition timing left me out farther than I wanted so I used up the remaining Stage 3 RCS motors fuel tuning as much as I could.

jzj4fyl.png

Struggle Bus finished i yanked the LEM and Oriented for the lunar SOI correction burn.

RDTuvLx.png

Reminder, turn on oxygen generation if you don't want to die.

vyHMF6I.png

Moon orbit achieved. Three orbits in High over space (160km) then a few more at 74km.  Should have put a probe core on LEM to de-orbit it.  Will send a robot adapter to meet it later.

sKfZBX2.png

Whole mission cleaned up the remaining space science available for 900 points.  Still a few thousand from running my Mars Missions.  Want to use a NIMF vertical lander with Methane nuke.

Edited by Bornholio

While I was waiting for the mods to upgrade for 1.3, I decided to try KSP on my gaming PC. It ran much faster than on my old Mac, but the key bindings were wrong and graphics looked a bit weird with too much ambient light and/or brightness.

For the first flight in 1.3, Jeb and the other usual suspects stole Baba Yaga's ship and landed it on the Mun.

baba_yaga_ship.jpg

I decided to build a series of durable rovers that can withstand a knock from those outrageous hills. Out of the 3 models made, some were more useful than others.

From X1 to X3 left to right:

5kfdT9V.png

The X1 is speedy and turns fast, the X3 has an ore processor and 2 powerful engines, and the X2 is meant to run only on ElectricCharge. Thus, due to the relatively poor handling of the rovemax wheels, the X2 is slower than either of the two and has to stop for constant charges. (TLDR, it's useless)

I brought NOS to KSP. :cool: Just like in Need For Speed and similar games, you start empty and have to move to accumulate it. The faster you're going, the better. And the NOS engine (rescaled Vector) only has one throttle notch... Full throttle. (Will work on Laythe too)

@Triop @SpannerMonkey(smce) Interest? :wink: 

yQ3WA4J.jpg

Wkvh978.jpg 

YEKSuFF.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I brought NOS to KSP. :cool: Just like in Need For Speed and similar games, you start empty and have to move to accumulate it. The faster you're going, the better. And the NOS engine (rescaled Vector) only has one throttle notch... Full throttle. (Will work on Laythe too)

@Triop @SpannerMonkey(smce) Interest? :wink: 

YEKSuFF.jpg

Sigh. You just had to go & do it, didn't you? Now it's only a matter of time until we get big silly wings... and.... pointless..... decals.....

Crap.

I expect Vin Diesel at any moment, now. :mad:

16 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sigh. You just had to go & do it, didn't you?

Yep. I had to do it........ You should see what I plan to bring next, or next-next. And maybe the NOS tank should spawn full, not empty. :rolleyes: 

I'm still working on my "all reward sliders at 10%" career run where I trie to unlock the complete tech tree at 10 percent  returns of all science, funds and reputation points.

I'm already in the later stages of my career and I just visited Laythe to retrieve all its juicy science points.This career has been a real challenge and but it's very fun nonetheless!

here's a small Gif of the laythe mission.

u13n1mW.gif

for a full report check my mission report

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

Had a bit of a joust with Triop.

I was massacred. At least a video came out of it!

I've never played this mo before but it sure does look like fun!

Edited by xendelaar

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Had a bit of a joust with Triop.

I was massacred. At least a video came out of it!

Don't feel bad. Building a plane that can dogfight successfully is one of the hardest thing one can do in KSP in terms of Aircraft. I've failed dozens of times in several competitions. Out of all the aircraft I've built, only one was truly successful.

Beautiful plane BTW. Nice design.

I used everything at my current tech to upgrade my Saturn V to a Saturn VI. 

F1A's, almost went with M1 engines but it took more effort to get the dV up.  Should still put decouplers on two engines that i shut down at 2.5G.

4yHdoc9.png

Thought I was going to loose the ship when the fairings did not eject as far as expected. Barely cleared the fins.

eeutuvD.png

Stage 2 used 3 SSME's instead of the usual J-2's in eccentric orbit with them.  Could have circularized if they could re-start. One benefit is that G-forces never peaked super high because they throttle a little bit.

tRfxeS9.png

Stage three did a small circ and the TLI completely using a J-2S engine. I decoupled it to impact the moon instead of space junk.

1mOP4kf.png

Interim Cryogenic propulsion stage in lunar orbit checks.  Needs Brayton cryo coolers. Lost 1000+ dV to evaporation.

lg1Ecgi.png

Arrive back at earth, 60k PE works well.  Much higher and I skip, lower the G force may kill the crew.

Mzmlroa.png

Edited by Bornholio