What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ah. My concern is real. I was hoping there was some form of counter weight for the ship's Bridge to prevent this problem since I think you never showed the underside. My grand tour station suffers a worse problem. I have to keep a fuel balancer mod running to stabilize it. One of its three stacks drains faster or slower than the other two. And I think I know why.

So you know the problem.

Thrust Offset Angle can be really difficult if you want to build asymmetrical. Without KER, it would not have been possible to get the ship to fly. I pushed the outer tanks slightly upwards so that the fuel tanks form a kind of counterbalance. The thrust offset angle is initially 0.3 degrees, then rises to 0.9, drops to 0 and then reverses and rises again to 0.9. Here is a picture from the bottom - after landing on Iota.

f3d2NEY.jpg

12 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

@Bornholio Seeing as you're playing in RO, have you also encountered this problem in which many fairings do not generate in the sizes and positions appropriate for their bases?

bg5xGFK.jpg

You are seeing the same thing I do. You scaled up the small and the fairing won't scale up with it.  Don't see a good solution if you want to scale them up. KW Rocketry has some good ones, otherwise use the open side ones. I almost always use the standard "FB Payload Fairing - Base [Procedural]" & "IB Interstage -w/ Decoupler [Procedural]".

TLI burn alignment, Brayton cryocoolers working overtime to keep the ICP modules fuel down to temp.

FDQ64V7.png

For transit the LEM and CM are linked with a crew tube and stack separator.  Nearly 30kW of solar power to handle the Cryo at max workload.

uZ1ivYr.png

Arriving lunar orbit, circ burn at 100km to yield a 75km final orbit.

vJTyqoG.png

Descending to lunar surface. Mechjeb almost terminated my kerbs.  I manually descend until near the surface, tap land anywhere and MJ burns all my ignitions left on the descent motor. Very bouncy landing.

xLBFBUr.png

On the Moon, Far side basin. "Aren't you a little short to be an astronaut?"

cIUEpE0.png

Back to orbit with the goodies. I'd have made a biome hop if the MJ issue didn't happen.  LEM crew module does not transfer science easy. Had to use a science box to withdraw and put in CM. Don't think the Apollo crew needed to do Space walks...

2c3YUH1.png

Left Lunar orbit with 3883 dV left in the tanks.  Circularized in two stages at 150km orbit.  De-orbited with the last two ignitions.  must have dropped too low (63km PE) since the peak drag was 7.9G

J6PT9sX.png

1200 science from basically one biome. Couple more and manned mars mission is on the burner.

Edited by Bornholio

As the sun slowly sets on Minmus, My miners are working away.

34773708982_ab9a474f6a_o.jpg

34805133871_8a4ac09e87_o.jpg

Some times precariously

34773709272_5dae1aea91_o.jpg 

While my rover explores the highlands on Minmus...

34937386195_d174ab7c9b_o.jpg

Valentina is happy to be back home after her visit to the space station to deliver fuel for the up coming trip to Duna,

34773708392_cae4bde694_o.jpg

Spoiler

Posnetek_zaslona_3.png

here did some base expansion, but also removed old escape pods and relocated new ones into two hangars too keep part count on screen down. well if i want too fly it it takes too load this base as long as game is loading and its all my fault becose my base has 1678 parts and mass is 1840.65t.:D

i cannot move this thing even if i detach it from asteroid it would break apart just by atempting too rotate it.:D

Edited by lovec1990

Big Milestone: My First Munar Landing (5/28/17)

The newest edition to the KSC Naval fleet: KSCN Hermes (Explorer KL-200) launched today. Its mission: First Munar Landing for the KSC.

The primary feature of this spacecraft is the dockable Lander Section (Hermes A) that forms the front of the ship and decouples when ready to conduct a landing. With its own power supply, guidance system, RCS thrusters, and main engines, the Lander Section is a fully-functional spacecraft capable of multiple landings and ascents. The Drive Section (Hermes B) remains in orbit during landing operations and then provides the power and fuel capacity for an eventual return to Kerbin.

Successful Launch, Stable Orbit, and Ready for Mun Transfer

hhPsBPq.png

Landing success! The next chapter for the KSCN: Establishing permanent Munar OperationsqtDUfyo.png

The excited crew celebrates with a picture in front of the KSCN Hermes Lander. It was a remarkable first landing on the Mun, with virtually nothing going wrong. The spacecraft performed perfectly on all fronts.

After disembarking, planting the flag, and admiring the view for quite a while, the engineer looked up and asked, "Wait. Where's the ladder?"

Edited by scottadges

6 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

the US Air Force/Army/Navy controlled all space travel

That's a great observation. Yes, I like to think that spaceships are more "naval craft" and that while the United Kerbin Air Force (UKAF) maintains air operations, the Kerbal Space Command (KSC) focused on building spacecraft that were less like airplanes and a lot more like "ships" and hence became the KSC Navy.

(But honestly, I just really liked "KSCN" as for all my call signs LOL)

Edited by scottadges

One more stock mission in 1.3 before reinstalling the mods. This time I went to Duna.

Spoiler

duna_trip_1.jpeg

Duna may be the best-looking planet in the solar system.

duna_trip_2.jpeg

A shallow approach, an inflatable shield, and plenty of parachutes.

duna_trip_3.jpeg

Somebody made a mistake in the assembly, and everything below the capsule was 90 degrees off. Including the ladder.

duna_trip_4.jpeg

The usual tourist shot.

Spoiler

duna_trip_5.jpeg

Bill discovered evidence of life on Duna.

Spoiler

duna_trip_6.jpeg

Almost home.

Spoiler

duna_trip_7.jpeg

Dyna-Soar testing continues. Attached to the rear of the shuttle is a small jet engine and fuel tank, to bring it up to the correct altitude before separating and allowing the spaceplane to glide down to the runway.

lV4OpTP.png

q6fJz4Z.png

ee9SBiK.png

Turning around.

C2S7CPD.png

Jettison jet engine segment.

tNu0dWb.png

And now, the cherry on the cake, the jewel on the crown...

Deploy the paraglider wing!

FXU1cBd.png

20hd2Ln.png

m0UINvD.png

TG6gxsW.png

YwCh8Mg.png

3bhrhwL.png

Beautiful!

0QG9HzJ.png

Uh oh. We're overshooting the runway!

oDYRGUw.png

Abort landing! We're going to have to touchdown in the grass!

ZiyRKIE.png

NFuUTJt.png

8CG4hAX.png

Gear down!

4Rkdb5i.png

Don't land in the water! Please...

WiYO8qg.png

YES!!! Test successful!

I just landed on the moon for the first proper time today! Used some cheats though on very descent onto the Mun as I had no fuel left. I landed, then got rid of the infinite fuel. Now I have some redesigning and rescuing to do! I came at the Mun at a horrible angle so I never actually orbited the Mun, just landed on its side instead of being smacked and crash right into it because of its orbit. My first time :D

Spoiler

dehJ7Qy.png

pFTqevu.png

Q65UUDq.png

Edited by sirheinouslot
Its Mun not Moon! :p

39 minutes ago, sirheinouslot said:

I just landed on the moon for the first proper time today! Used some cheats though on very descent onto the Mun as I had no fuel left. I landed, then got rid of the infinite fuel. Now I have some redesigning and rescuing to do! I came at the Mun at a horrible angle so I never actually orbited the moon, just landed on its side instead of being smacked and crash right into it because of its orbit. My first time :D

Hide contents

dehJ7Qy.png

pFTqevu.png

Q65UUDq.png

congratulations on your first victory.  must have been fulfilling! i do would like to advice you to do a mun visit without cheats. it's even more fulfilling when you're performing one without cheating. (sorry for being that guy). :wink:

Edited by xendelaar

4 minutes ago, xendelaar said:

congratulations on your first victory.  must have been fulfilling! i do would like to advice you to do a mun visit without cheats. it's even more fulfilling when you're performing one without cheating.

Next time I'll definitely pack some more fuel and rescue Valentina hopefully :C :P 

Edited by sirheinouslot

that's what  i did too! i stranded jeb and it took me almost two months (real life time) to get him back.  

goodluck with your mission good sir!

i hope you get vall back sooner than i manged to get jeb though :wink:

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, hazard-ish said:

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two ringsarrow-10x10.png of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this butarrow-10x10.png I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

Why I didn't press the like button:

after launching a new career game, i finally managed to make a working SSTO for cheap crew transfer in LKO

main propulsion is trough six RAPIER engines while orbital manouvers are handled by a single terrier engine 

crew capacity is six kerbals, also suitable for orbital rescue by switching the docking port for a KLAW

3B9B518FA941E11309512B21C7CE9E22904AFC68

02E61868D8EDB6D877F66BEA1D8B9AE9DAC49D15

In Formation Flight with the new duna transfer vehicle
E39EF79DED93D29874F367D0AE727EE1A3E44516