What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 7/20/2017 at 8:21 PM, Kerbital said:

Ah, I came here to check on your landship progress. Do post more images:) I ended up playing Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak for few days because of you. I have not finished the single player campaign yet. Then I watched The Martian in meantime and I'm thinking about going back to KSP to fly some missions to Duna. I haven't played for several weeks, only trolled the forums:)

I've actually been thinking of starting a thread in Mission Reports after I finish with the landship since I seem to have a couple of fans. :D

Anyway, I decided to take a few days break from the landship project (and KSP as a whole) when I realized I've have to be staging RCS tanks if I wanted to dock the skycrane to the landship. Sometimes it helps to step away from a problem for a bit in order to solve it. On a related note, when I first downloaded SpaceY Expanded I never thought I'd need the 10m fuel tanks. I was wrong. I decided the best solution to not being able to dock the skycrane to the landship within reason, was to just send them up together, and this led to moar boosters. And the decision to download Hangar Extender later (honestly I should've downloaded it ages ago).

eYOSl7w.png

On another note, during launch the tracks threw a hissy fit and broke. Outside of the atmosphere. However the landship is pretty close to the now second largest artificial satellite over Kerbin, so the station should be able to send a Kerbal in an MMU to go and fix them.

Edited by FungusForge

Finally started my mission to rescue Burberry Kerman, who is in a retrograde solar orbit.  This was a two launch mission, first launch to get the main vessel with engines and fuel tanks, second launch to refuel and crew compartment.

This requires a 100+ minute burn in order to use up 19,000 dV to reverse orbit, I ended my stream just before the burn.

9 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

On another note, during launch the tracks threw a hissy fit and broke.

The good news is I think I have solved that problem in the KF/KSPWheel dev versions (not sure if I've packed up a release since I fixed it...).  Was time-warp involved at all during launch? (warp during coast to AP?)

-->>  Feel free to bring this discussion over to the KF thread, just so as to not clutter up this one with bug-fixing talk :)

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Finally started my mission to rescue Burberry Kerman, who is in a retrograde solar orbit

What?  You actually get to play KSP?  *jealous*  :D

Edited by Shadowmage

2 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

OK, I had the weirdest moment ever.

When returning from the Mun with no fuel (had to jet-push last few km) , I accidentally clicked Warp on the wrong side of the orbit --- and Warped through the Kerbin's atmosphere at 20 km PE .........      -________-

cNKMSwN.png

Been there, done that, killed the kerbals because I play with life support and ran the mission so tight that I didn't have enough supplies for the extra orbit.

*Tries out RO first time*
*builds test rocket in sandbox for LEO*
*Liftoff.png*
*We are going to space today!*
*Ohexcrements.jpg*
*Interstage between 2nd and upper stage clips and wont let go*
*abort, release the capsule*
*suborbital trajectory, 500km Ap*
*everythingwillbefine.mpg*
*heat intensifies*
*crew dies because of g-forces on reentry*
*Wellthanks.doc*

Edited by Tiankay

So for no reason, I made a luxury helicopter.

ovB5LpL.png

The craft is very easy to fly at full fuel. With low fuel though, it can get a bit twitchy.

RQkzQWK.png

After testing the LH29's abilities at night, Jeb and Bill camped out on the Island.

fQgq63A.png

As the sun ro- OOOOOHHHH ECLIPSE!!!!!

My Laythe rover has reached is destination, during the middle of an eclipse

Laythe_Eclipsed.png

Laythe has never looked so terrifying

Sherlock_Re-entry.png

Picked a poor landing spot

Unfortunate.png

Probably could've picked a better antenna. Oh well. Time to start my Ike preparations!

Edited by Brownhair2
Bad antenna

Sent a test miner and orbiter to Minmus with Jeb, Bill and Bob.  Found out after it got there that the drills were too low and it glitchcapulted into "orbit" and I couldn't do anything except load last save.

Updated the miner and sent another orbiter/miner to Minmus with Val.  Ditched the mistake, put the updated miner-refiner to work.  Worked wonderfully.

screenshot25.png

After refining and filling up with Mono, Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer and Ore, went back into orbit and met up with the orbiters.  Deciding they were too far from the KSC to "follow orders", they decided to take this monstrosity to Duna, refining on the go.  Because why not?

screenshot28.png

screenshot29.png

Using almost all my fuel in what I'm sure was the most inefficient way possible to reach Duna, I'm attempting an emergency refuel at Ike. 

screenshot30.png

Landing was a breeze, although I'm scared to EVA since the miner has no ladders.

screenshot31.png

screenshot32.png

And that's where I'll sit for tonight.  Pretty sure one of my landers can handle Duna... although 110% sure it can't make it back into orbit.  May send Jeb down anyway just so I'll have to build a rescue craft.

Edited by Geonovast

Pried myself away from Dead Cells and Dwarf Fortress to fix my Atlas, which had really been bugging me because it was pretty much unmanageable during launch. I did unlock the Altair SRB so I could finish off the Able upper stage, almost back to where I was before the problems and I'm running in a fun career mode for once with the rewritten Monthly Budgets. I launched an Atlas-Able with a pretty tiny payload, some 80kg I think, and, well, it's somewhere beyond Earth with a periapsis inside Venus' orbit. Got some good science out of it before it was beyond comms range.

Time to reinstall Principia.

sdZ5iWR.png

MyW3gJW.png

Edited by regex

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Landing was a breeze, although I'm scared to EVA since the miner has no ladders.

No problem - the jetpack is plenty to fly on Ike.  In fact you can fly with it on Duna (though that's about the largest planet you can fly on)

On 24. 7. 2017 at 9:39 AM, TheDARKOMETER said:

It's about damn time I made something like an F-22 in this game. :mad: This warplane features good fuel economy, maneuverability, high TWR, and can supercruise at Mach 1.5 Dry at around 50-60% Thrust. 

i2bnLvz.png

PRdqlEn.png

2gk8hvf.png

q8s1FCN.png

Would anyone like some freedom?

NWh3JxU.png

gno0N1K.png

Load em up Bill!

aSeFp85.png\

It's even powerful enough to go to Laythe! jk :D, but why not try flying in it's atmosphere ?

ZI4Vznu.png

hrrNJlB.png

LCf9fkR.png

Craft file please

Completed my first Duna landing.

lhyP78M.jpg

R1dv5ox.png

vzgxAzk.png

I'd had a surface base and orbital station around Ike for a while but I'd mostly left Duna alone thus far. I decided it was high time that I planted a flag there, though, so I cobbled together a ship (out of parts that could later be re-purposed to build a station) and built a swappable-payload lander to get Bill and Paise to the surface and then back safely to orbit. That's where they'll stay for the time being, but my next Duna mission (to depart with the next transfer window) will include a full replacement crew for both my Duna and Ike installations as well as a passenger module that will allow them to return home.

Speaking of returning home, the crew of my original Gilly mission, the first Kerbals to walk on a body outside of Kerbin's SOI, made it back without incident. I didn't take any screenshots, but they arrived in Kerbin orbit in a Mk2 Crew Cabin propelled by a Shover Robot tug, where they transferred to a re-entry capsule (a Hitchhiker module with a heat shield, probe core, and some Separatrons for the de-orbit burn) already in orbit which took them (along with a tourist who wanted to see Gilly and a castaway recovered from Gilly's orbit) safely down to the surface, marking this as my first fully complete interplanetary journey.

In a long-awaited development, my first mission to Jool has finally arrived.

4ujgTMs.png

That mission consisted of a tug carrying two satellites, each carrying a high-powered communications relay as well as an array of scanners and science equipment. Currently the entire craft is in a polar orbit around Pol, but eventually I'm going to decouple one of those satellites and carry the other one into a similar polar orbit around Laythe. There isn't a particular need for that just yet, though, so I'm going to hold off until some of my other missions have arrived and I have more fuel to work with. For now, I'm just glad I've got a relay around Jool at long last; it was getting annoying having to turn off the comm network every time I "simulated" one of my other Jool missions.

On the subject of other Jool missions, another Jool transfer window came up so I sent off some additional equipment to further my development of the Gassy Green Giant.

zrHvylC.png

This mission contains two "Station Core" modules each consisting of a Rockomax Hypernode, a RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit and a Large Advance Reaction Wheel Module, along with a collection of batteries and Clamp-O-Tron Sr. docking ports. One of those will go to my already-en-route Foothold Station around Pol (allowing it to function as an independent craft instead of needing a tug constantly docked with it to maintain control) while the other is destined for Laythe. Also destined for Laythe is an ISRU/fuel tank module and one of my Beetle SSTOs retrofitted with an RTG instead of solar panels for electricity. Finally, the craft has a pair of 1.25m-2.5m docking adapters to give my existing tugs in the system more versatility. I figure I can send my Laythe ground base with the next transfer window and then it'll finally be time to send Kerbals to man all of these facilities.

Been doing early career stuff all this past week. Maybe if I can get more than a few minutes to post I'll share it all with youze guyz...

I suppose in the meantime, y'all will have to settle for a few screenies:

dNAB6oh.png
VshhR1K.png
droRJWB.png

M66v4tu.png

2QuTMgB.png

Edited by capi3101
had a couple of pics not imbed properly, fixed.

I landed my very first probe on the surface of Mars. F5 & F9 were my friends.

FXaYLfD.jpg

Descent was quite hard. I had to time the heat shield separation & engine ignition perfectly, 20 seconds more or less can result an impact or a soft landing.

jIPnFRC.jpg

DWTYHWc.jpg

YO2i3Q7.jpg

Edited by Julien Kerman

@Jett_Quasar  Those all look amazing.

------

I must say, I really enjoy the little things like this. Launching and landing big things is fun, and challenging (mostly because they like facing the ground at the worst time ;.; ), but this is the kind of thing I'd enjoy getting up to more often down the line. Repairing antennae, bolting on missing solar panels, living the tiny details of a very big space program.

7 hours ago, Flamingo said:

@DarkOwl57

I have been looking for the cockpit you use on your very nice looking helicopter for quite some time now, and I thought I found it yesterday as being the "Meadowlark" in STX, but now I see that's not the case, so can I ask you: where is it from?

Airplane Plus. I did this in 1.2.2 but APP works in 1.3. Other mods used are Aviation Lights, Tweakscale, and I think Stock Extensions?

9 hours ago, Raptor42 said:

Craft file please

Seconded.