The Ultimate War

I really have no idea what you are talking about now.

But to answer your question about existence. I don't consider it fact I exist actually. However, that goes well beyond the scope of this topic. So I will not get into it :3 I will just say, jsut because I don't find it fact .. doesn't mean there isn't a more likely choice.

In other words, I believe I exist, but I certainly can't call it fact.

I meant that arguing some guy may be wrong because he is basing his own argument on theories, and theories can in principle be disproved, is a pretty poor way of conducting a discussion. Because that is exactly the argument you used a few posts back:

My point is all of them are theories. Theories don't mean fact. Theories change all the time as more information is known. The infinite universe theory was not disproved entirely. With current data we gathered it is just simply unlikely. Again though, we still don't even know much about it and things can easily change. We have had theories of earth being the center ... once more info was found .. we learned we where wrong. Actually we are wrong more then we are right, but we do eventually tend to get to the answer. Scientists work to disprove their theories everyday.

Though scientists do believe our current scientific method model is out of date. Apparently they feel, that we need to come up with something better, though I am not really sure how that is possible.

Which is in conflict with what you say here about going for the most likely option. And, BTW, scientific consensus could be pretty much defined as "the most likely option". It could be wrong, but until someone shows me proof otherwise, might as well be fact, which is the difference between scientific theory scientific and hypothesis (which is a fancy word for "I pulled it out of my bottom"). Right now, the most likely option means, among other things, a finite expanding universe that follows the second law of thermodynamics.

Rune. And that is what you seemed to have a problem with in the first place.

I meant that arguing some guy may be wrong because he is basing his own argument on theories, and theories can in principle be disproved, is a pretty poor way of conducting a discussion. Because that is exactly the argument you used a few posts back:

Which is in conflict with what you say here about going for the most likely option. And, BTW, scientific consensus could be pretty much defined as "the most likely option". It could be wrong, but until someone shows me proof otherwise, might as well be fact, which is the difference between scientific theory scientific and hypothesis (which is a fancy word for "I pulled it out of my bottom"). Right now, the most likely option means, among other things, a finite expanding universe that follows the second law of thermodynamics.

Rune. And that is what you seemed to have a problem with in the first place.

Oh I see! Yes, you make a good point =^.^=. However, I do have to point out that all the end of the universe "theories" are just that, "theories" They are not scientific theories. There is a difference. A regular theory, is pretty much just a hypothesis. Just like multiverse theory, should really be called a hypothesis as Jokurr already pointed out to me.

The problem with how the universe ends, no one actually agrees on how it will happen. Nor is their a correct or incorrect answer, because we honestly simply do not know. So we can't just assume that the universe will in fact end. We have 0 proof of this, other then that we know the universe is expanding currently at an exceeding rate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.