Finally, An Orbit around MOHO.

Finnerty

After 2 failed attempts (out of fuel within sight of Moho) and about 3 more fails getting to Kerbin orbit with extra fuel but not enough thrust, I finally got a sat in orbit around Moho.

My current goal/project is to get a satellite in orbit around every planet/moon. This completes the inner planets/moons. Duna is next.

The launcher that finally got me to Moho

firstmohorocket.jpg~original

Moho Orbit

firstmohoorbit.jpg~original

Moho Sat

firstmohosat.jpg~original

Moho is the hardest planet to reach. Ususally your trip looks like 1300m/s burn for transfer, 1200m/s of course corrections due to her inclined and eccentric orbit, then about 3500m/s burn for capture. Then you'Re rarely on the inclination you want, and it can be up to 600m/s to change to yours. So this makes a total 6500m/s to have a good orbit, but I remember having to use up to 7500, and not even having the desired inclination. The problem comes from the speed at which you approach Moho. It being so close to the sun you take a tremendous amount of speed by closing in to Kerbol and you have to cancel it all when you enter Moho's SOI, and her gravitational force being so low it barely helps you at all on the capture.

It did take a long burn at the encounter to get an orbit. That's where I failed before, had an encounter but ran out of fuel trying to get orbit. And this time I had just enough to make it. I have read several other posts stating that this is the hardest one to reach.

It definitely is. People intuitively think it's Eeloo, but only the transfer burn is intensive, when you get close, your relative speed is so low you just have to fight it's small gravitational pull that wants to slingshot you and you have an orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.